Bungay Black Dog Marathon

13»

Comments

• Just thought I'd pop back to let you all know that I did manage to finish Bungay ok - just in case you were all worried I'd be laid up in hospital after being ill so close to the start!

It was a disappointing race for me as I'd trained hard for sub 3.30, but got really sick just 10-11 days before and was only 'well' 6 days before, and after about 14 miles found all my energy just sapped away.. image
    However, I DID finish it, but decided after about 20 miles when there was no way I'd get under 4 hours, I should just relax and not stress my body so close after being pretty ill, so I pretty much walked the last 4 miles and enjoyed the sunshine image

Managed to finish in 4hours 18mins, so way off where I should have been (when I did Bungay 2 years ago as my first marathon I did 3hr 48m).

The lesson here is you wont get a fast time after being ill...
    OR...
    If you're tough enough you CAN get marathon fit in just 6 days after illness!!

You decide image

Might see you all next year image

• yes pete the latter sounds best! Well done, you did the right thing and relaxed and enjoyed it. I reckon in another year or so of running ill be joining you!
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Sounds a tough one pete...and that was not a course to try and run a good time if you've been ill. You know you can come back bigger and stronger next time!