Chester Marathon 2010

Comments

• Good luck everyone!! image

Running stuff all ready, full of calories to burn off tommorrow, bowl of porridge when I get up and thats me!! Knackered and honestly aching from a weekends graft but off to bed soon and up at 6:30. See you all there, depending on the weather i'll probably be in a Bowel Cancer UK vest so say hello!! image

• Eating porridge as we speak after a nightmare night with our sick son and about 4 hours sleep!! image

Not impressed but ready to go!! image

• Hello everyone.

A bit of a bad day at the office.

Having gone through half way around 1.18ish and in 5th/ 6th place, I developed a really bad stitch which put paid to my race. Jogged / walked back the last 12 miles and got home in 2.57 something??

Hope everyone else had a good run.

Nice event and ran smothley.

Rich O

• Rich!  Sorry to hear that!

For me it was the easiest marathon I have ever done.  I have my mara training sussed at last.  Going for a PB next time out..  I did struggle from 22 on, but kept my pace really steady until then.

I thought it was well put together too!  Nice one Chester!

• I managed a 4:02-4:03 ? Well chuffed. Previous PB was 4:24. Very very hard final 2 miles but got there. Did a half split in 1:58 or so. At the end I just sobbed my heart out.

The organisation, friendliness and support were excellent. I hope that everyone got around in one piece and  I was delighted to shake a legend's hand at mile 1 (Mick). Hope you did well Mick. Also great to meet Wrexhamrob. 

• micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

I may , i may not image

you sneaky beaky

take care girl   MWAH xx

Mick apparently doesn't recognise me "with my clothes on"image

But it was good to see you and Phil today and I hope you had a good run. God knows you went through enough vaseline! image

• Nice running Rob!  Knew it would be a good PB course image

Easy race!

• well done everyone, some great runs on a warm day, I have to say i could get use to this spectator lark
  • A big well done to all of you who ran today.

We had a fantastic day supporting the marathon, we were outside our houses in GS village and cheering the runners, we even played some music which we hoped would lift the spirits towards the final mile.

I am sure there will be even more support next year
    Well done again really inspirational
  • Well done everyone!! image

Bit of a mixed day personaly, I was going fine and sticking to my 8 m/m plan when I felt a niggle/pain in my right knee, carried on but by 13 miles I hobbled through the turn round/Corus section and the pain got worse and I  slowed down a little!! Managed to get to 17 miles still at my target 8 m/m. Picked it up now and then and trying to ignore my knee and left thigh (hurting in trying to compensate for the knee). Met Mr.Puffy (well done again on your time mate) at mile 19 and managed to get another quick mile in. That was my last, I hobbled/limped the remaining miles BUT I didnt stop once which i'm proud of.image

I tried a last ditch effort to get my PB at mile 24 but by then it was too late and the pain was too much, I crossed the line in 3:46 which under the circumstances i'm pleased with and the crowd were great, I actually started filling up but saw/heard my wife and kids in the stands and jus wanted to finish!! image

All in all this was among the top 3 races i've done, organisation was excellent, route was great, goody bag/medal and tshirt were of the highest order and i'll be back next year for that PB!! Well done to everyone involved!! image

• well done on the pb rob!

I wasnt sure what to do today as I did a marathon last week and 55 miles during last week but my times on trianing runs were really good last week so I thought I might go for a PB (3.52).  I really didnt think I would but thought I wouldnt know if I didnt try! I have been injured for a while so wasnt sure if I was back yet.

The first few miles were GFA pace and feeling OK but then I remembered that when I have run my best marathons I have been holding myself back a little in the first half.  I wasnt holding myself back and was only just on PB pace. I realised that I always do a positive split so after about 3-4 miles decided to back off and have a nice jog around instead - that way I will be back to training tommorrrow!

With about 3miles to go realised I could poss do sub 4.20 if I stopped dawdling so I picked up the pace.  Only just missed it and I blame the mile markers or Mr G!! ( at 23 miles Mr G was just 0.1mile ahead but by the time I finished he was 0.26miles ahead)  Would have done sub 4.20 if that hadnt happened, instead did 4.20.xx

Quite happy really considering that may was my highest ever milage month of 310 miles!

• ANY CHANCE wrote (see)
    A big well done to all of you who ran today. We had a fantastic day supporting the marathon, we were outside our houses in GS village and cheering the runners, we even played some music which we hoped would lift the spirits towards the final mile. I am sure there will be even more support next year Well done again really inspirational
    Was that you on the corner havin a BBQ?? Yeh it helped, well done on making the effor and a BIG thank you!! image
  • Well done Chester great event seemed to run like clockwork.

Ran the 1st 20 mile to quick and suffered for the final 6.2 & to make matters worse with 1/2 a mile to go both hamstrings tightened up, couldn`t move until some kind lady spectator came to my rescue and helped give my legs a rub, many thanks to her.

Sub 3.55 on my watch just waiting for results.

• Great event, superbly organised and I came away with a 7min PB of 3h12 (subject to official ratification). Really can't say enough positive words about this - well done to all involved
  • Popped down to support you all out at just after five miles and back in just before the 23 mile mark.  Well done to everyone who ran - great effort
  • What a fantastic race - SO well organised - must email race organisers to say thanks. Also they never asked for my £5 transfer fee when I got my number and I didn't remember until I was about to start running then forgot afterwards so I'm going to ask them how I can send them that too!

I didn't make 3.50 as was plan A but still got a PB of almost 2 mins (3.55 something) so I'm still chuffed to bits with that.

Support along the course was fantastic... thanks SO much to everyone who was watching and cheering us on... had lots of people shout "Go Kirkstall" at me which was lovely image

Great to meet Mick and Phil (again), Mr Puffy, Mr P's friend, Clairester, Ian Richardson and WeV today - thanks to Claire for keeping me company at the start and well done to WeV for battling on despite legs buckling beneath him at 25 miles... my heart went out to you so much and I'm really really really sorry again I didn't stop and make sure you were OK - I know you said you wouldn't have expected it but I still felt really bad mate.

Oh and I managed to find my way to Chester AND back fine, and didn't crash the car or anything - hurrah!

Pug - did you have an orange vest with PUG on? Assume it was you.. I shouted to you as you were coming back along that bridge, you clearly had no idea who I was! 

Well done everyone.

• LOL!  I yelled at PUG too!  He was going great guns when I saw him.
  • I shouted at pug as well, he looking a bit grumpy!! image
  • Ha ha!  I had an internal grin all the way around!  I really enjoyed myself!

• Loved this race - well done to the organisers. Got my GFA I was after and managed a PB too with 3.07 so very, very happy!

Didn't that track seem to go uphill both on the way out as well as the way back though!

The drinks stations were superb and well manned, big thank you to the spectators that were dotted around they really did help. The Blacon part was especialyl good.

Would jump at the chance to do this again but as I live 280miles away may well turn this in to a 2-night hotel stay. The drive back (shared) was very painful!

Thanks again Chester, superb!

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Not, as expected, a very scenic race (glad I had my iPod), but most certainly a PB course. Very well organised and supported - I am sure that this will be a very popular race next year
  • Excellent. Jayne (Bevan) - I must have been right behind you (Surname Jones).  If only I'd seen you - we almost ran identical times !!  You must have started further up the field. By this stage though I was pretty delirious.

I heard a rumour today that this event might be followed by a much bigger Chester marathon in the autumn of 2011 - with a change of course taking in Chester city centre. That would be wonderful but we'll see !

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Pug always looks grumpy, he frightens me. image

Had a great day from start to finish, saw Clairster and Tutu at the start, loads of people I knew around the course, and the fundraisers from the Hospice had a litlle water station in one of the quieter stretches.  My mum didn't see me though.

A brilliant finish at the Rugby club, I flaked out after I got my medal but recovered to go and see the rest of the race.  Saw Tutu coming in, think she was in the zone though.

Shuffled the last two miles-glad I ran in practice, and passed one of my son's friends houses and the little b*stard was laughing his head off at me as I passed.

Overall a superb race, I hope it goes on for many years to come!

• Our run was'nt fantstic , i faded sadly later on

BUT, i liked the event, and sincerely hope that this event goes from strength to strength

• Great to come up from London, and enjoy the race today. My first ever marathon and have got the monkey off my back from missing VLM at last minute. Hoorah!

Met Dr Dan, Mick and Phil and also had a quick chat with the winner on the way back to the car- he was disappointed with his time apparently - was going for 2.20 to qualify for the Commonwealth for Wales. From where I saw him, he was seriously motoring but he cramped up in last 6.

Hope you had a good race Dr Dan, was great to meet you and run the 1st 11 together - I picked right back up to 8 min/mile pace and was on for 3.30 right up until the dreaded 20 mile mark. Then I cramped like I've never done before, in both legs, quads/hamstrings, really quite painful - managed to intersperse running with the odd stop for a stretch and then walking it off. Ended up with a 1st time PB of just under 3.47, which in the humidity felt like a big effort! Proud to have done it, and now I know what to expect image

Quick question: how do you stop cramping? Is it a salt in the diet thing as I had good nutrition in the run-up, was well hydrated, took the gels as planned (apart from 1 that came pretty much straight back up!). Not sure I really considered salt in the whole equation. Must get to grips with that as my pace in between stops at the end was good so maybe 3.30 is on the cards at a future attempt.

Anyway, big congratulations to all and well played to the organisers and great support.!
  • HI all - what a great race - I want to do it again (can we do it tomorrow? - well maybe not that soon). Hats off to you all - despite aches, pains, niggles & stiffness everyone seems to have had a good day.

Subbuteorob - definately got the surname Bevan - didn't get my sub4, but managed 4hrs 02:22 so still knocked 5mins off PB - Well done on your time too.

Had a lovely chat with Roger from 100 mile club (what an inspiration). I shouted Pug but he was definately in the ZONE. Chatted to a few others. Had a good run - definately improved my confidence. Looking forward to autumn marathons (still got my eye on doing Nottingham & Leicester so might see some of you there.

Big up to the organisers - a superb race,well organised & well marshalled. Lovely goodie bag (one of the best - how did you know that I have a weakness for Haribos???). well done to the supporters & all manning the drinks stations - think you are all brill and deserve medals as well.

• Tom, look out for Nuun it is an electrolyte drink.

Get some inside you for the few days befor a race, then one in the morning of the mara.  You may find that helps.

• I can vouch for the new Lucozade lite electrolyte drink, deffinately helped me today!! £2/3 for a 4 pack in Asda ATM!! image