Chester Marathon 2010

Comments

• I came and offered my support at the halfway stage with my two young daughters, well done to everyone taking part, looked like a great event
  • I don't like nunn think it tastes of aspirin! I tried the shotz equivalent today, that was a lot better

I think there are 2 elements to preventing cramp
    1. Stock up beforehand on electrolytes
    2. Keep stocked up throughout

for 1. I usually add a bit of salt to my food for 2 days before, eat bananas ( they have potassium I think) and add elite electrolyte to my water. This is a colourless liquid you add to cold drinks which contains electrolytes. It has no taste when in water but I missed the bottle yesterday so got some on the outside, it didn't taste nice!

For 2 you need gels, sports drink or nunn / elete electrolyte. Watch out with gels though, some don't contain e or very few. I think the ls ones have no electrolytes.
  • The other thing you might want to try if it is your calves is compression socks or calf guards. I sometimes wear the socks for short runs but never a marathon as I am paranoid that changing socks will cause blisters. Anyyway, last week I bought some calf guards/ leg sleeves. I did some research and zensah came out top. Only a few sell them in the uk, the cheapest place only had pink so I got them.

Wore them today and happy with them, thought I might be too hot but was fine as they have something in which is meant to help keep you cool. I might have looked freaky with long pink socks but I don't care!!!
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

mick n phil MWAH you guys rock, well done. fab to see you again

Tutu, yaya go you, fab to finally meet you to.

MrP I think you rana ablinder, huge well done. sham eyou missed your mum tho

Pug yes i also shouted soome encouragement at you but you were snarling! hope you had the run you wanted

Hellen lovely to see you again xx

webby - yes i have defo met you before somewhere, i think it was a smallish event..i do a lot of northwest chester to york just about covers it! well run

Everyone else, huge well done image x

• Lovely to meet you too Clairster, always great putting names to faces finally image

Puffy - haha, yep I must have been "in the zone" at the end... or just dying more like! Nice to know somebody was rooting for me at the finish though, thanks.. actually I just remembered they announced my name as I crossed the line which is always nice. What was your time anyway and are you happy with it?

I spent ages walking round and round the finish area in a daze.... I got medal and water, then goody bag, photo, then realised I forgot to get a t-shirt, and later came back on a mission to find the massage place! Took me an hour from finishing to finally get to the car. Also had a weird moment walking back to the car where I just got overwhelmed with emotion and burst into tears!?! Hope nobody saw... very strange, I think it was a very delayed relief that it was over and that I got a pb?! Maybe?! Strange the things marathons can do to you.

Ta for the results link Richard, I was 1 sec quicker than my Garmin said image

• Can I just say a HUGE thankyou to all of you who shouted encouragement, it really was appreciated, and yeah I'm always a grump when running (you wanna see me at home hahaha).

Have to say, superbly organised, bottles all out in correct places, loads of water... decent support considering... all in, a great race with the only downside is, if you're having a bad time, which I did, the course really doesn't make this better... seeing miles of straightness when on your arse, isn't great...

Well, here's my report for what it's worth...

1 Mile = 5:59
    2 Mile = 6:08 (12:08)
    3 Mile = 6:17 (18:26)
    4 Mile = 6:06 (24:32)
    5 Mile = 6:14 (30:46) First 5 Mile in 30:46 (6:09 m/m)
    6 Mile = 6:02 (36:48)
    7 Mile = 6:03 (42:51)
    8 Mile = 6:09 (49:01)
    9 Mile = 6:11 (55:12)
    10 Mile = 6:10 (1:01:22) Second 5 mile in 30:29 (6:06 m/m) and 6:08 m/m for the 10 mile)
    11 Mile = 6:12 (1:07:35)
    12 Mile = 6:17 (1:13:53)
    13 Mile = 6:13 (1:20:06) Hit half way in 1:20:40
    14 Mile = 6:22 (1:26:28) Stomach started playing up here, with the worst stomach cramps I've ever had during a race
    15 Mile = 6:21 (1:32:49) Third 5 mile in 31:26 (6:16 m/m) and starting to struggle, with every breath in, cramps...
    16 Mile = 6:18 (1:39:07) Was getting unbreable now, and was seriously thinking of pulling out. Thankfully one of the lads from the club was a life saver here and stayed with me on the bike.
    17 Mile = 6:37 (1:45:44) Same story... fed up and could see even a 2:45 slipping away and gone...
    18 Mile = 6:39 (1:52:23) Had now given up on everything and everyone... new I'd be lucky to survive and even PB
    19 Mile = 6:49 (1:59:12) Kept plugging away but was going backwards and two fells overtook me here...
    20 Mile = 6:49 (2:06:01) Fourth 5 mile in a terrible 33:03 and was on my arse AGAIN... stomach bad... alomost tears time here...
    21 Mile = 7:07 (2:13:09) Had given up looking at watch now... and just concentrated on finishing
    22 Mile = 7:00 (2:20:09) Let out an almighty fart of Puglet Curry proportions and stomach pain ALL dissapeared, gone... such relief...
    23 Mile = 6:41 (2:26:50) Got passed by 3 men, Simon on bike from club said hold onto them... I did, then after 100m, made a move and thought now way are these having me... passed them back and pushed on.
    24 Mile = 6:35 (2:33:26)
    25 Mile = 6:39 (2:40:06) Glanced at watch, and seen that I had 3:53 minutes to cover 1.2 mile for club record It was on image
    26 Mile = 6:51 (2:46:58)
    26.2 Mile = 1:35 (2:48:33) which was my Garmin time, however, distance was long on course, so, official finishing time was 2:49:28 (6:27 m/m).

• Cont:

14th position overall... so happy enough with that...

So, what have I learned? Well, can't run in the heat, was dying from 5 mile, just pathetic, was only 18C BUT I simply can't handle heat... and I suffered more than most. Also, I'm in cloud cuckoo land if I think I was in 2:42 shape, more like 2:45 shape, and I paid for early pace...
    However, the biggest thing was this stomach problem, not something I've suffered with before... and not something I'd want to again, it wrecked my whole race.

I'm so disappointed with this race, probably the worst marathoon I've ever ran as so many things went wrong, which seems selffish considering I PB'd, however, just so gutted at moment...infact, more than gutted you wouldn't believe,,, had so much expectation, and after yesterdays 4 mile run, felt really good...

Anyway, seems alot of people had great runs, so well done to all of you and like I say, cheers for the support, means so much when I see you all shouting "come on PUG", really does pick you up... believe me!

Cheers Pug image

• Only my 10th but one of the best i've taken part in. Terrific organisation and drinks provision, not too big a field for the star/finish infrastructure, good support around the course, good banter and a lovely Tee and generous bag at the end. For those not happy with the course I'd rather have this than twice round Milton Pk at Abingdon, the concrete prom and sea breezes at Margate and the power station area at Brighton.

Lovely support on the way round. Did see the lady in the garden with the music playing - thank you.

Personally, I'd rather they didn't try to make it "bigger and better" for 2011.

3:56 PB for me, but as the 6 ran in the last year have been between 4:05 and 3:56 I suppose I'm going to have to put in some proper mileage and see if I can get a bit quicker in the autumn.

Well done all.

• Well done on the pb tutu and the person above.

Tutu , you may not have got your gfa but you have chipped a bit more off. 5 mins more with a bit more training should be no prob

pug , sorry to hear ur race was bad but well done on pb. I remember last year going for a tine, missing it but still getting a pb yet being dissapoined, was a hot one. I hope the guy on the bike didn't get a nosefull when u had your massive fart!

I sometimes suffer with stomach cramps. Am usually ok with races as I eat the same breaky. Can get it bad on training runs if I have been eating dairy in the day.
  • yea i agree with all the positive comments can't fault anything, well impressed with everything, a credit to all involved.

well done to you all lots of pb's I see

3:22 for me so not as bad as I thought I might fare,  would love to come back next year with better preparation as feel I could PB here.

Always lovely to chat with Mick and Phil, nice to meet Hellen, the flat jack was delicious wrexhamrob thanks, saw Pug on his return but I was to knackered to shout any encouragement sorry,Thanks for the shout out Clairster is swittle the connection in some way?

• Agree, organisation good, don't think they should increase numbers though as it was quite busy both sides for a mile or so at the end of the out and back. Think the course could cope with more at the front or back end though as when I turned back it was quiet on the other side so prob ok to have more 5 hour runners but you can't really regulate numbers in each time category

by the way, my hubby saw someone cheating, he turned round early, I think at about 12 miles. The man in q finished 4.14 on the clock
  • WOW!  Well spotted, though why would someone bother?  Maybe he had a bet, or was just knackered! image
  • I noticed a marshal sat down writing down numbers at the half way point so maybe the cheat got caught ?

• yep i saw about three marshals at different location taking numbers.
  • yes, hopefully cheat got caught but if cheat is approached by organisers he could just say the marshall missed him due to it being busy.  Thats why i thougth I would mension it as I know the organisers come on here so if they did pick up on someone (male) who finished in 4.14 clock time then here is some more evidence.  (However, cheat could even be a man running with a womens number!)
  • Hi,

Had a great run yesterday and echo everyones comments on how well organised it all was.

I think I may have been running the second half with 'the cheat' and (if its the same guy, time seems to fit etc as he would have finished behind me)

I dont think he was cheating, in fact just the opposite. The guy I saw was pacing a woman (wife?) and he kept going ahead (maybe to keep his own pace) then turning back to be with her, giving her some support then up the road again and then trun back.

He must have done nearly twice the distance...what a devoted partner!

Anyway I hope it was him as this would explain it. Wouldnt be nice to think there is a cheat (a cheat to himself) out there.

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    hi woody - could be i met swittle at sandstone last year??
  • that could explain it I supppose.

OH told me about a few moments which were amusing

1.  A couple and their dog entered the greenway, saw all the runners and said 'is there a fun run?'  he said it was the chester marathon, they said 'oh, more than a fun run then'! At least they didnt ask how far

2.  A cyclist was approached by a member of the council telling him that he shouldnt be on the greenway as it was closed.  The cyclist was obnoxious and said it was a cycle path. He also commented on how he had been pushed off by a runner , serves him right for ignoring the signs saying it was closed.

I noticed quite a few cyclists, some of them came rather close and gave me a fright.  They are quite dangerous really when they come close as anyone knows that runners, when tired dont run in a stright line.  They could easily have been knocked off if coming from behind which they all seemed to be doing. 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    good day

going for 4hours and got 3h59 but I ran and walked from 20 miles and each time I ran got faster and flew to the finish knocked 22 mins of my PB this is a great event and the support on the course not even aching much now think I saw Tutu much and micn phil at the start

chris and Andy

well done on this event when do 2011 entrys open

doing Anglsey mararthon in september
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    looked at the ratings and really like what I see out of all of them only 1 said they would not do again as soon as entries for 2011 open I am in
  • I think the negatives are good negatives if that makes sense - it is people saying the course is boring which is a fair point.  However, when I entered I knew the route was out and back along disused railway, if the course was known when entries opened then those who complained shouldnt really have done as they knew what they were letting themselves in for.  Its a bit like complaining that you didnt get a pb at snowdonia cos it was too hilly!!

• If the cheat turned round at 12 miles he won't have gone through the chip timing thingy at the half way point so should have been rumbled anyway.
  • Following from the few funny moments there was a guy on the phone just after the Corus section with 2 kids and a dog and just over heard him say "Yeh there must be a few hundered of em!!" ."Try a thousand mate!!" I shouted as I passed him!!

I think I also saw the old couple with the dog!!

My favourite moment was running passed the school which had obviously set up a dance and music display just for us runners!! The support throughout really was the best i've seen of ANY of the races i've done so far!!image

• GDixon61GDixon61 ✭✭✭

Far better organised than any established event of a similar size. Course was 'as describled / expected' and for those who attended any of the arranged training runs - a similar type of experience.

Chris and Andy and their many helpers should be applauded for putting on a 1st class event. 2011 will be quickly fully subscribed with the majority coming from those that ran yesterday.

Only suggested improvement from my perspective would be to have XL T shirts as an option for those with a fuller figure liek myself. Then again you don't even get a size option in London so 3 options in Chester was a marked improvement.

Well done again and thanks to all the helpers on the day and the local residents en route who provided great support.

See you next year.image

• Well done everyone on a fairly hot day!

I was really impressed with the whole race and support along the course. I must say a special thank you to a couple who set up a little table with cups of water and sweets around 20-21 miles I think it was! It really helped me to get through the last few miles after suffering from terrible cramps in my calf to finish in 3.55.

All in all a great race and one of the best I have done, well done to the organisers!!!

• Having taken the evening to reflect on the race yesterday, I feel I have to write in to praise all who deserve it. Massive cheers and well done to Chris and Andy, who clearly will go on to organise many more well executed races. The marshals and volunteers should also be proud of their contribution, not least, the rather vocal "bonkers" (in a good way) lady on one of the last inclines before the rugby club and the old (again in a good way) lady who offered me a "rub down" at about 19 miles when I was doubting if I'd finish due to cramps in both legs! I'll look u up some time!!image 

There was also a guy, number 382 i think, who told me to "keep chipping away" at the same sort of time. I truly never really thought about the impact that a few kind words could have on someone when running as this was my first marathon. But to be quite clear, I know I wouldnt have finished without the intervention of such a simple pick-me-up! Hopefully the few people I tried to gee up on the last couple of miles feel the same! My family too, for making the various trips out to spur me on, again it helps, believe me!

I've done all my training pretty much alone, except some with the OH on the bike along side me on some of my long runs, but along with everyone whos contributed to this thread, I felt among friends yesterday even if im too shy to chat to 'strangers'! maybe next time?! So big thanks to Pug, tutu, mickandphil, subbuteorob and the rest of you all!

Every single member of the public who clapped each of us onward and the kids for the high5's!

Ive recieved various pledges for the charity I ran for since as a lot of friends and family seem to realise how much of a task this race was and I look forward to seeing you all get your hands in your pockets over the next week or 2!

So having woken up feeling as stiff as a board, despite the ice bath and the walking immediately after the race, all I can think of is -When can i run again? It wont be for a while, as I clearly need to get my knee looked at, but once thats sorted I'll be signing up for another run.

Anyway, I didn't feel that I should let the event pass without contributing at least once! But enough of my wittering, a big thankyou to everyone who played their part, and I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Cheers Adam.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Hellen

before I entered I had read about the course and liked it and like it I did

I saw loads of people on bikes who had not seen the greenway closed signs

and well done to the winner I saw you at about mile 12 as you where coming back the other way and you where a long away ahead

Paul williams

did not see you at all I was number 850 I have a blue/white t-shirt on from Torbay half mararthon 2009
  • Lovely support on the way round. Did see the lady in the garden with the music playing - thank you.

Oooooh think that may have been me!

I was in the garden and after a while i thought how else can i support you guys and thought when i go jogging music really helps so we tried to find some suitable music to blast out!

there were a few smiles as people went by

there were neighbours either side of ours that were great at giving support and saying encouraging words

I am already thinking of what we can do next year!

Hope you all are recovering and resting well after yesterday
  • Well done Adam and excellent write up - don't be so shy next time !! 

Been a horrible day in Chester today. Lots of rain. We were quite lucky with the weather yesterday.

I am suffering today. Stiffness, mental fatigue, light headedness.

Why of why do we do this to ourselves ?

• Bit of blue sky over Helsby just now

I came and watched the first few finish (I was in the middle of my Sunday bike ride) and it rained on me as I cycled to Stamford Bridge after the first 6 or 7 had come in