Chester Marathon 2010

Comments

• went for a hilly off road 7.2 miler this morning! Am training for an ultra in Switzerland in the summer so training on tired legs is good!

Will prob run to and from body pump this eve!

• Hi all,

firstly a big well done to the race organisers, marahsalls, supporters and fellow runners - a really well organised race that did what it said on the tin.

For me a bit of a dissapointment, bang on for Boston Qualifying time (3:15) until mile 17 when I blew up badly.  From mile 20 it would have been more fun chewing nails - so as daft as it sounds I was pleased to press on and come in at just under 3:30.

Had a good chat with a few on the course and one inspirational fella who'd done four marathons in 7 weeks (fair play).

My heart went out to a lady doing a Paula at about 22 miles (just as I was cramping very badly all over the place  - nothing new there - might try that Nuun by the way).  Poor lass what a fix, and I promise you I averted my gaze as soon as I saw you.

I found the course pretty soul destroying at times, very loooong strights, but on the flip side if it had all gone to plan I'm sure that would have been fine.

Anyway a big well done again.

Jase

• Hi  All

Many congratulations to all who raced yesterday.  Thanks for placing your trust in us by deciding to run the 1st  Chester marathon. 

It was a priviledge meet many of you at Sunday registration and on race day.

Andy and I really appreciate all your very kind comments and suggestions which we will keep in mind for next year.

We are working hard on next year's race and hope to make an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

Chris

• Excellent news that you will be announcing the date for next year soon , that means there will be a next year!! image

The sainsbos sports drink was not too bad really, I said many pages back that it would be nice to have some of the red (berry?) flavour as orange is very sickly.  Whilst I wouldnt go as far as saying it was nice, it has to be the best orange flavour sports drink I have had!!

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Chris & Andy big big thanks- youve done Chester (&Flintshire- how about promoting as 2countries marathon) proud. I knew the course having trained on it and dont find it boring , lots to see really, just chat to folks around

for a 1st time marathon - i'd say it was 'clockwork' & it was my 13th, from registration, to the bikes with leaders ( i did think how that would work- but it did), marshalling, the drinks stations- great ( personally i only use water and take my own gels) having the cycle way closed was magnificent- having trained on it i often had to avoid the dog walkers & cyclists, yesterday i think only saw about 3 cyclists, 2 of which were young lads around mile 22- but far fewer than i expected- well done

having pb'd at Stratford last month and having knee ache on Saturday i was fullof anxiety about whether i'd start let alone finish or pb. But from my point of view it was nearly perfect, after joing with fetch runners at the start, i then ran for around18mile with a friend of a friend, chat all the way - she had to pay a visit, i struggled up the little hill in Guilden Sutton -probably made even worse by my eyes stinging with sweat. then just after the bridge over the bypass Tash caught up and tried to encourage me, i had little left. But i knocked around 2mins off my pb again now 4:17 -considering it tok me 25yrs to break 4:20 - well pleased.

A little bit of signposting at the rugby club would help, mens changing , massage etc, small points i know.

Oh Woody - the Flapjack is Fetchie Sioux 's speciality

Respect to Helen out for a 7mile run. I managed to get for a swim this morning, i'll try and get to the Deeside off road on Thursday, if anyone is in Chester Deeside area, its a little 4ish mile off road the other side of the bridge from our turn around point- organised by Deestriders in Monthly June to Sept.

Andy & Chris very well done , keep it as it is Please dont make it too big, the course is great as it is, and support was surprisingly good. 

• It's a bit of a gamble when deciding to run a new event but the Chester Marathon was great.  I can only reiterate what others have said about organisation, ease of parking, etc.  Four of us came up from Stone and enjoyed the pleasures of a shower, chicken curry / chips and a couple of pints (after the run).  It really did put the finishing touches to a great day out.  We'll be there again next year and drag a few more along with us.  
  • photos now online at
    www.mickhall-photos.com

what can i say about this event travel to events every weekend taking photos this has to be one of if not the best i've been to for a good while great organising good crack reall;y good event long may it continue

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    I'm buzzing today.

Can't say I enjoyed it but pleased I got a sub-4 after setting off at a stupid pace. Wanted 3.45 but set off at 8min/miles (stupid). Paid for it as I started cramping up around 17 miles in. I was worried I wasn't going to finish. Have to say thank you to the other runners and the spectators on route who had kind words when they could see I was in some trouble. Especially the lady in the light blue t-shirt who reminded me that it hurts just as much to walk as run. I tried to stay with you but the cramps got the better of me, and then Tutu, again I tried to stay with you but the legs weren't having it (told you at the start you'd come flying past me in the end). You shouldn't feel bad for not checking I was OK. Glad you got your PB. I still got a PB of around 17 minutes over London in April so pretty pleased, despite collapsing over the line and not being able to get up for 10 mins. Very grateful for the help I got from the medics (and the horrible tasting electrolyte drink they gave me). And thanks to Rosie (or Rose?) who has magic hands (sports massage after the race). I thought the bloke was going to hurt me, not you.

I've never cramped like that before. My calf muscle inverted itself in the last 0.1 miles. Almost missed the sub-4.

Legs are sore. Can hardly walk. Planning the next one.

p.s. My dad says maybe I'm not built for marathon running because it hurt so much - I told him it's supposed to.
  • are the halfway splits likely to be up anytime soon? I'd love to know personally because i think I may have done an even paced race with the two halves within a minute of each other but would like official confirmation. I know we went over chip mats at halfway so there should be times?
  • Id rather not see the halfway splits as it would show me how much I bombed in the second half.

This was my first marathon and although i was dissapointed with my time and how i finished i was delighted to pick up third place.

I thought the organization and atmosphere of this race was outstanding. A special mention has to go to the marshall who pegged it after me to hand me some water after i fluffed picking one up myself. Support along the way was also great especially the guys at Blacon.

Also thanks to all those runners who gave me encouragement as I passed them on the return leg, i had been running alone for most of the race so it really helped and i apologise for being too knackered to wish you guys well too.

Overall a really enjoyable event.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    got my pacing right even though I walked/run the last 6 miles but it did the trick with me

chris and Andy

keep the course as it is great route never bored once

when is the half mararthon from the race course
  • Well done to everyone running yesterday.  It was my first marathon and I enjoyed almost every minute, except the last mile which seemed more like three to me!!  However, everything went as near to plan as it possibly could have for me, with a target time of under 4 hours and an actual time of 3 hours 30 min and 23 sec I am well pleased. Big thanks to all of the marshalls and helpers on the drinks stations whose brilliant support helped keep me going.

I agree that the course was a bit of a straight line slog, but there was lots of different things to see and  a lot more spectators than I expected to keep your mind from drifting off. The high level of drink stations and the energy drinks were excellent please don't change these as it meant I got around without getting the stomach ache from using energy gels.

Thanks Chris and Andy for organising such a good event, don't change it to much, and I hope to see everyone again at next year's race. 

• Personally, I thought that this was very very well organised. Plenty of drink stations. Marshalls and helpers were 1st class. Nice medal and technical-T shirt. Well done Chris and Andy.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy the course, just too straight (but I did run the White Peak Marathon the week before). Would have preferred a mix between city centre/rural but 26.2 miles is 26.2 miles regardless. I enjoyed the 2 loops at the start and the final 2 miles due to the change in surface and direction!

Congratulations to all those who pb'ed.

• Thanks again for the lift Wrexham Rob you are a star.  Just outside my PB with 3:11 well pleased with that though.
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

I found the course better than I expected - I thought it would be very dull - I actually thought it was just fairly dull (although, I guess, living in Snowdonia my definition of dull scenery may be slightly different than others?). It was clear to me from the very good race details (on the excellent race webiste) that it wasn't going to be a scenic marathon, but it was going to be a flat/fast one with very long "straights", which, in my opinion/experience, it proved (I beat my PB, set at Snowdonia 2008, by almost 12minutes).

I very much doubt that there has been a "new marathon" which has been as well organised and which has better facilities, drink stations, medals, T-shirts, freebies/goody bag etc as Chester

• My first marathon and a thank you and congrats to the organisers - the day was excellent.

I thought the course was a little soul destroying - I thought I'd never get off that ruddy greenway. The there and back aspect didn't bother me, I enjoyed seeing the runners coming the other way. But it would be nice to see a bit more of Chester and a bit less of the greenway!!!!

I got under 4hours (with a whole 1minute and 46secs to spare) so am really pleased but I went through the half in a comfortable 1hr 50min and really (really) struggled in the last 6 miles.

Would I do another marathon... hmmmm... after the race it was a no, yesterday it was a maybe, today it is a oh go on then. I'm looking forward to seeing the plans for the 2011 event.

Again a big thank you to the organisers, first class!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

A very well organised race ... no issues with the course (it did what it said on the tin). Unfortunately I had a complete and utter nightmare!

It was a pleasure running the first 11 miles with Tom F... good to meet you and well done on the time mate! I told you I didn't feel quite right at 7 miles ... boy oh boy was I right about that! And Chomski goes out with my cousin ... we were at the same BBQ afterwards. Small world eh!

I posted my experiences on the 2010 marathon thread ... 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=3&UTN=151596&SP=&cp=146&V=6&msg=6&#8612525

• Pug

Been looking at your PB's on the club website. Only your 5K time points to a sub 2:42.

Your 5M time to sub 2:44.

All the other PB's indicate in the same range 2:44/2:47.

My PB came from a 1 minute negative split so I'd advise trying 6:18 pace to half way and give yourself a realistic target. 

Cheers

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    only suffered after the race with aching legs but out running again now no rest expect tonight
  • i had a tough run of it

nothing easy about it at all -

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    micnphil

yes it was tough but me I got my pacing right walk/ran from 20 and still had it in my legs at the end 3h59 got did not hit the wall at all I had ate pasta 3 days on the trot and had 2 of those engry drinks on route
  • yes, perhaps i should have clearly stated

for anyone new or not expereinced or anyone at al lreally,

dont go putting one self down because they felt it went wrong

i am expereinced - and stil had a tough un

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well what I say is everyone in the race that is a winner weather first or last it is the taking part that counts in my book and you do very well indeed

I found Sheffield half tough this time due to the heat I have been running since 2003 and did my first mararthon 12 months later

you have to admire anyone who can do what we all did on Monday I am going to keep training to for Anglsey mararthon now and see if one day I can run the whole way I will keep trying till I do it

what is your next race my is Frecklton half
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I was shocked when I found out how many mins I had knocked of my PB I have done that at Leeds half years ago when I went from 1h48 to 1h36
  • Mick, you were flying at the start.  Sorry you had a bad one.  You need some pink socks!! image
  • thats an idea ahh

Ash

i did not your question, i have to think now

Malvern hM

Banbury 5 Wednesday night

Pottereis HM , and so on

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    keep up the good work
  • to my knowledge

some of the front runers including the winner had it tough

• I know this soudns stupid BUT DID ANYONE PICK UP A ORANGE RUNNING VEST WITH PUG ON THE FRONT?

5 Years I've had that vest, ran all my marathons in it and I think I've left it on the floor at the Rugby club imageimageimagep

Cheers Pug image