Chester Marathon 2010

Comments

• Don't forget to say hello to Puglet as well image

Cheers Pug image

• Shiva wrote (see)
    I will definately look out for you Nam, would be good to meet you.  I will be in club colours (sudbury court), but might sneak a pirate buff on somewhere too.
    Yay I shall keep my eyes peeled for a pirate buff.  What time are you gunning for? image
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    `Not sure, i'm not in great shape at the moment after a month off... probably 3:30 - 3:45.  Sadly, work is getting in the way of my training nowadays. 
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I should be in great shape this time tommorrow after a killer of a race been 20 miles and ready for this new event
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    got 2h41 at spen 20 4 mins faster then my PB at this race so happy with that
  • http://www.penmorfa.com/Wrexham/ten.html

http://www.class37.freeserve.co.uk/mickledeemarsh.htm

I see entries have now passed the 600 mark so the 1,000 entry limit seems sure to be reached - I tried to cycle the Greenway last week but a short section is closed until April so had to make a detour.

In the meantime I have just stumbled on these links of what the route was like when it was a railway line. Apparently passenger trains were withdrawn in 1969 (Beeching cuts) and freight trains ran until 1992. Isn't google marvellous?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    eric 2

I live in saddleworth and we have a bridleway that use to be a railway with a short tunnel which is now filled in
  • Hi Dinda – I see from the OS Map that the bridleway is part of the Tame Valley Way which uses the disused railway line that ran from Stalybridge for 5 miles towards Diggle. The line ran parallel to the main Manchester-Huddersfield line but on the opposite side of the river. I think the line closed in the 1960s.

Beeching remains an easy scapegoat for the rail closures but the blame must really lie with the governments at the time which could have rejected his recommendations. Most of the Beeching closures were implemented under Wilson’s labour government October 1964-1970 but many cuts took place under the conservative government in 1963 and 1964.

But some rail closures have been put to good use as long distance paths/cycleways. and some races use these paths – Chester Marathon, Trimpell 20, Stratford-on-Avon Marathon?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I run on the line every day and there are 2 disued tunnels at Standage that also have way to the canal tunnel the start of the Micklehurst loop line goes into a tunnel but the other side at Uppermill has been filled in aswell
  • Good afternoon all - first time on this thread and looking forward to the race in May.

Quick question to put out there, does anyone know what sports drink is going to be availble on the day, and also if it's in cups or bottle (i.e. Lucozade Sport).

Cheers - Jase

• Jaseyshef

The official web site says every 2.5 miles bottled water at drinks station and also Sainsbury`s orange Isotonic 500ml at 5 mile intervals.

• Hi there

Hope everybody's training is going well - the thread had gone quiet in the last week or so - lets get it moving!

We had a great group training run today, over 20 of us did the 18 miles along the river in great running weather - the tea & toasted teacakes at the end were yum image

The details on the drinks and what will be available at the different drinks stations are on the web site

Any questions - leave a post & will do best to help

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I am doing a 20 mile tommorrow as not working do this race go home Tuesday work wednesday and Thursday go on holiday on the Friday
  • How did your 20 miler go Dinda?
  • I used to live in Chester, and I'll be at the Chester Marathon - not running but marshalling. So I'll be giving you all a wave and a smile - smile back if you can!

I saw a few posts about accomodation. There is a B&B actually on the course, only a few hundred yards from the start. It's called Roseville (http://www.rosevillechester.co.uk/) which would be worth a try, looks really nice but I've never stayed there - only lived a couple of miles away.

See you all in Chester next month. Don't forget to smile!!

Sam 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Sam E

I am staying at the nearby travel inn with Sainsburys supermarket near aswell
  • Hi All

What's the course like? Many Hills?....... thanks Rob

• Hi all,

thanks for the steer on the Sainsbury's Isotonic Drink (I'd just seen it on the site as it happens), has anyone used this yet - intending to try it this weekend on a 20 miler.

Really starting to look forward to this now, just done another 10k prep race with the Sheffield Half coming up - so all going well.  Hoping the course is as flat as advertised and the wind stays behind closed doors (not mine you understand) for a good tile at Boston Qualification.

Jase

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I have Sheffield 10K and half mararthon Rothwell 10k leeds half and eyam half
  • Rob - The course is one of the flattest around, a couple of very short easy inclines but absolutely no hills .  It is all on road or tarmac path (except approx 200m on gravel bridlepath).  We are keeping the numbers low to prevent any congestion on the Greenway (is an out & back course with a loop at the start & half way). Loads more info on the web site

Jase - 20 of us used the Sainsbury's istonotic sports drink on the Group long run last Monday, no adverse comments or reactions; it tastes good & does not taste too sugary.  There was a bit or a breeze when we were out on Monday, it was a cross wind so helped keep cool, lets hope is same on race day !

Dinda - Wow, you certainly like to race, bet  you will be on top form for 31st May. 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    doing that 20 mile training run on monday as i did not do it last but did 1h40 on Thursday
  • Have entered this and looking forward to it image
  • CT: Is the Greenway fully open again?

Last time I cycled it there was a small section closed near the centre of Chester. I suppose the Greenway is starting to look very different now that all the trees and bushes are beginning to burst into leaf. Think I will take in the Greenway early next month as part of a bike ride to take in a free view from the walls of the Chester Races (horseracing).

Too old and slow now to run the marathon but really looking forward to watching this imaginative marathon over the beautiful Greenway next month

Perhaps RW runners will post their numbers and expected times on here in due course................

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    eric 2

I will start it of then

Dinda 3h45 to 4hours if I get my pace right
  • Anyone know how entries are looking? Is it nearly full. After my disaster at Blackpool Marathon today im tepted by this one
  • Hi PFS

Gald Blackpool did not put you off - what happened?

We still have places left - but to be sure of getting in I would advise you to enter in the next week or so.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Chieftain tank

looking forward to this one not been to chester for years might have a trip to the zoo aswell
  • Thanks Chieftain Tank.

My race just didnt go well. I was on target for a sub 3 up to 18 miles but then started to lose it. By 20 miles  I had dropped outside of sub 3 pace and then the final 10k became a shuffle rather than a run. I had to walk 3 times after 23 miles and 3 of my mile splits were 10 min mile +, 1 was even an 11 minute mile. I finished in 3.19.23. Who knows what happened. Hopefully it was down to the fact i was laid up in bed ill 2 days last week. 

The origanal plan was to do this Marathon but chose Blackpool in the end on the basis that it would be cooler.

Hopefully my legs recover soon so I can have a go at this one

• Hi all!  I think I will join in the chat if that is ok?

I will get in on this one and it runs on my old training route from Chester in to North Wales.  Should be a nice little run image

• Hi All,

Right back in here now, Blackpool went better than I was hoping (2:50:02), so think I'm in decent shape, just carrying a bit of lard (infact alot of lard) which will need shifting over the coming weeks. However, I'm still gunning for a sub 2:40 hopefully so... think it's time to get the course details and run along some of the Chester side. I know it'll be flat BUT I've been informed it's a gradual incline from 20 mile onwards back to the start? Something I want to feel for myself before the big day...

Everyone's training going well I take it?

Cheers Pug image