Norwich Half Marathon 2010

Comments

• I have a 5km, a 10km and a marathon to get out the way before I start training for Norwich.
  • whow thats busy. What marathon are you running in? Im not planning on entering any marathons until london next year hopefully get in through the ballot in the next couple of weeks
  • Abingdon is 3 weeks tomorrow. I'm, also waiting to hear from on VLM but not expecting to get in the ballot. I haven't the last few years anyway...
  • well had a great GNR ...PB at 2:18 for half .... crowds are great ... running congested at times but what a day ... encourage anyone to do that one .... just brilliant
  • Well done Woody image

Did you get wet? I saw the rain on the telly...
  • Hi...I recently did the London Run to the Beat half marathon and am interested in doing the Norwich one in November too. Does anyone know if the course is on the road? Also, online it said something about doing two laps of the course...is it literally twice round the entire thing or just a double lap on a certain secton?

Thanks!

• Hi Lian. Wasn't Run to the Beat yesterday? How did you get on?

Norwich is on the road, starting at the showground, round a 6 mile course, through the showground round the same 6 mile course again, back into the showground for the finish. It's mostly on small country roads through local villages. There should be lots of info on the website.
  • Hiya,
    Yes it was yesterday - my first half marathon and race ever and did it in 2 hours 21 mins so was fairly happy with that! Thank you for the info on Norwich HM - will definitely consider running it. Isn't it a bit disheartening running 2 laps though? I always imagine that to be hard!
  • Well done on your first HM.

2 laps is fine. I don't notice as I only look at the person in front of me's feet.
  • Am looking to do this again - did 2 years ago and really enjoyed it except that hill into the showground (TWICE) - dont suppose they have levelled that have they? or changed the route to omit it?  This was one of my better halfs and had not been running for that long so although cannot remember how hilly/flat am thinking could not have been that bad.

2 laps is good - just tell myself i am doing a 6 miler, than say the same thing again albeit a bit more tired!image

Good luck with training all.

• They changed the course last year so there is no steep hill up to the showground any more.
  • just a long slow drag instead lol
  • Oh no that aint good. Maybe a running track 52 times is the way to go.
    Nah bring it on, will have a crack at it. Can't be much worse than bungay!
  • Loads flatter than Bungay.
  • Cool bungay was a killer - the pain! Did 2 06 and am hoping with more solid training might break 2 at norwich.
  • Hey im aiming to break 2 hours as well at Norwich. My PB is 2:07 at the ipswich half this year.

Mr Spoons how did you get on in the ballot for VLM?  I was very suprised that both myself and my wife got in through the ballot. Have to start some serious training soon.  

• Didn't get in again. Amazing you both got in.
  • Looking foward to my come back Half Marathon but still grumbling about the Health & Safety gone mad ban on MP3s. Especially considering this very website quotes 'Sport and exercise psychologist Dr Costas Karageorghis has found that music “reduces the perception of effort by blocking fatigue signals from the muscles to the brain, and can also elevate your mood"'. If it's an issue with people not hearing marshals (although my eyes still work...) because the headphones are tucked close into their ears perhaps I shall invest in an old school boom box and get my kicks that way! All I can say is I hope it's an interesting and stimulating route! Apart from this slight issue, bring on the run!
  • Hey,is it ok if I join this thread.Haven't entered this race as yet but I am planning on running it again this year.Ran the GNR again recently so will just keep my training up ready for a half.

Andrew Johnson 31-congratulations on both you and your wife getting a ballot place for the VLM.At the running club I belong too hardly anybody got a place.I heard it was the same with a few other clubs too.

Wouldn't say it's a stimulating route Misfit_of_Ska,but it is quite pretty and you do get a lot of support around the course.I think you'll enjoy it.

• Thanks, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! I'm just glad to be getting back into it after an injury (that I've used as an excuse for far too long now!) My dad got his 14th VLM nod on his birthday. We got rejects again image 

Pleased for my dad though as he used to get automatic entry for fast veterans but missed his time one year and had to join the ballott with us 'normal folk'. He's been rejected 3 years on the trot but finally got back in this time. Go dad!

See you all in November! PBs all round please!

• Welcome back Mandy image How are you doing? Still plodding around with the second best running club in Norfolk?
  • Thanks for the welcome Mr Spoons,Yep Im still plodding round but I would argue with the BEST running club in Norfolk if you please.image
  • P.s,excellant news on your dad gaining a ballot place Misfit_of_Ska for the London Marathon.Will you be training with him?
  • Was thinking of doing thisone - does anyone know of some cheap overnight accommodation for the Saturday night and how much (roughly?) - Travel from Leicester probably too much on the morning of the race?
  • I think there are a 3 Travelodges in Norwich...
  • Does anyone know when the race numbers will start arriving for this race?  Getting excited/nervous about this one as it's my first 1/2 in 9years!!  Ran 10miles on sunday and bar having to walk a bit twice because of a really steep hill (100m ascent - bleugggh!)  I was pleased at doing it in 1hr 45min! 

Even trained without my trusty ipod image but sounded like a morris dancer due to my keys!

I can't help with accomodation I'm afraid - I'm gatecrashing from the north and stopping with my in-laws in Acle.

Linds x

• Hi All!  My first half - a tad nervous but quite excited nonetheless. Am lucky enough to live nearby but it always gets conjested around the Showground with any event so give yourselves plenty of time to get parked etc!

Knight rider - There's a Premier Inn right next to the Showground just off the A47 (around £40 but was fully booked when I checked!) Next  nearest is a Travel Inn at Cringleford about 1.1/2 miles away - £45 and they had rooms available!  

Good luck everyone! image

• Hi everyone, I've just done my first HM (Royal Parks) in 1.48 which I am really happy with image and I've now picked up the running bug and signed up for the Norwich HM! It's been 3 days since the Royal Parks HM and my legs are just started to feel human again, going to give them a few more days rest and then crack on with the training!  

Should I just start where I left off with the training or should I build up the mileage again? Just a bit worried about over training and injuries.

Good luck to everyone

• Thomo - well done on the 1:48. Sub 1:45 should be in your sights now?

I would build up gradually over the next 2-3 weeks or so to let yourself fully recover.