Options

Norwich Half Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Weather forecast for Sunday is -4 and snow. Happy days image
  • Options
    J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    This race used to be run in June and people used to suffer from heat exhaustion. It looks like they've addressed that problem now.
  • Options

I'm glad to see everyone's getting into the racing mood. I am SOOOOO looking forward to this now (snow permitting of course). I raced a 10 mile hilly race yesterday around Epsom Downs - well, I deliberately didn't race it because I really want to do well on Sunday. And it was a bit last minute as I was staying in the area and only realised on Friday it was on but thought I would give it a go. So I set out at what I thought was a sensible and comfortable pace, took the uphills steadily and stretched out on the downhills. I didn't really look at my watch at all and came in sub 75 mins which I wasn't expecting - and felt very fresh at the end...so definitely think sub 1.40 for the half. I just hope it isn't too slippery if there is snow!

Nick D - your half PB and times around 1.40 should get you well under 4 - actually under 3.45 or close to 3.30 I would think. But as you will find out there is a heap of difference between the half and the full - it takes a few I reckon to get your head around it! So it sounds like you are doing the sensible thing!

I prefer the less steep but longer drag uphill to the very sharp steep bits. I think it's about getting into the right rhythm. It pays also to be good going downhill as I think you can make up more there than you lose on the way up!

• Options
    J2RJ2R ✭✭✭

I never find that I quite make up on the downhills what I lose on the uphills, and I suspect that is typical (otherwise the fastest marathon courses would be the undulating ones, rather than flat ones like Berlin, where the world record has been set). I think the important thing with hills is to maintain the same effort level as you do on the flat, even if you end up slowing down a fair bit. Trying to maintain speed is a recipe for premature burnout.

Target time for Sunday is a whisker under 1:25. But I won't be getting it if it's -4 and snowing!

• Options
    -4 and snowing....omg    , getting in and out of the showground should be fun then.Good luck to everyone, just off to look for some warm kitimage
  • Options
    Looks like I could be wearing a bit more than shorts & t-shirt on Sunday then!!!! I managed to do 10 miles yesterday after a 2 week lay off but it was a struggle and ended up walking after 10 miles, was hoping to do 11 miles but my leg muscles got too stiff!!!
  • Options

Hi all,

I don't think I'll see any of you guys - you'll leave me for dust!! Looking forward to the race on sunday, looks like I don't need to worry about it being too hot (I've been training at night!) but -4, blimey that's cold!  Best pack my gloves I think!

I prefer smaller inclines too - I find that using my arms a little more really helps get up them .  I also found from my more rural runs that hills don't seem so bad in the pitch black!!

I hope you all get the results you want, sounds like everyone's been training hard.  I'm aiming for 2hr20 and that will be a pb for me.

Linds 

• Options

i did the GNR in 2:07 so hoping for 2:05 or under

the weather looks like it could be a problem but its the east coast so anything could happen

• Options
    I'm hoping it doesn't snow!!!!  Fingers crossed thye have the forecast wrong!  image
  • Options
    The cold is only really a problem when you're hanging around on the start line. The minute you get going you're fine. I shall be in shorts and a vest as usual.

I was hoping for a sub 1:40 but I think too much beer and cake recently might put stop to that. We shall see....
  • Options
    I was thinking of doing it but the decision was taken way from me as I have to work that day. Good luck to you all. I hoe the snow has well and truly thawed by the time the race starts
  • Options
    Due to the possible snow this weekend there is a statement on the website asking to check before leaving just to make sure the race is still going ahead!
  • Options
  • Options

I was looking foward to the run, not so much now that the weathers going to be shite....  Think ill still be wearing the shorts and t-shirt but may start in gloves then lob them once there warm!

Got round southwold 10k on sunday in 42.50 so i was happy with that, legs feel all good too.

hopefully the race is guna go ahead though, hope everyones ready!

• Options
    make that 42.42 all the timing chips were wrong.......
  • Options

Hi Freemers, sounds like your running is going well, a hilly 10 miler will definitely stand you in good stead for Norwich HM. I agree I much prefer the longer but more gradual slope rather than the big steep hill before, it always seems to take me an age to recover from steep hills but I can seeminlgy keep my pace with gentler inclines even if they are quite long.

Training seems to be on course to attempt sub 1hr 40 but I have a feeling a strong biting easterly wind might scupper the running of good times.

It's obvioulsy going to be cold but fingers crossed no snow/ice and the wind doesn't get up too much. I'm sure the race will go ahead, it would take quite some snowfall or serious problems with ice to threaten the race I think. I think only  flurries or light showers of snow are being forecast as possible but more chance of being dry.......famous last words eh? image

See you all Sunday

• Options

Well I will be very sorry to miss it this year. I have an entry as I entered last year but have committed myself to running an XC league for my club and there is a meeting on Sunday image

Good luck to everyone. On balance I would much rather be doing the half.
  • Options
    Bad luck Alex. Which XC are you doing?
  • Options

A little snow around Diss this morning - very light flurry, so we shall see if it develops into anything! I think it would take a lot for this to be cancelled...even if we have to trudge through icy puddles in the showground!

I can't say I am looking forward to waiting around before the start. The only place that is warm is the loos (the ladies at least, I can't speak for the mensimage). I might wait in my car for a bit before I venture to the start!

• Options

This one Mr S.

Anyway, if it is going to snow it is not the weekend to drive all the way up to Yarmouth (I normally visit my brother and do the Half).
  • Options

Oh snow in Diss!  We had nothing in Bury image

I really hope this cold spell is not as bad as they predict but the weather for sunday is mean to be 0oC and sunny!!!  Lets hope the snow starts Sunday night!

• Options
    Ah - now I understand what the 'Welsh' means. Not that near Norwich then! Enjoy it. as you say, not a good weekend to spend in the car. We have friends in Swansea we often visit. 5-6 hours or so!
  • Options
    Forecast for Sunday is sun and cold.
  • Options

It is a right old expedition the drive from East to West. How my brother ended up in Gt Yarmouth is a constant source of frustration. Blimmin women eh !

• Options
    Yup - I had to move to Norfolk to be near the Mother in law...
  • Options
    goo dluck to all this weekend ... me thinks that it will be cold but hopefully no more real snow
  • Options
    update on the website.  There is a number to call but from the sounds of it, it hasn't been updated but I hear there has been a lot of snow in Norwich!
  • Options

The race has been postponed till new year.

Norwich Half Marathon FB page

• Options
    Gutted! I'll be running 13.1 anyway.
  • Options

Good news for me image Looks like I may get to do it after all.