Sports Personality Of The Year

Comments

• The standard is lower for footballers than other sports persons

Most years recently it has been won by people who've won World or Olympic titles, or in the case of Paula a World Record

But what have Giggs or Beckham before him won at World level?

Bugger all

• "standing in a field for five days with your hands on your knees is not a sport."

Sounds like the bogs at Glastonbury.

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    In dulci jubil-yeo wrote (see)

The standard is lower for footballers than other sports persons

Most years recently it has been won by people who've won World or Olympic titles, or in the case of Paula a World Record

Bugger all

Bobby Moore won SPOTY. Not sure if he was any good.

The previous football winners have always been due to something 'special' they did that year.

Gazza - crying his eyes out in Italia 90

Owen - 'that' goal against the argies in 98

Beckham - 'that' free kick against Greece in 2001

I just don't think that Giggs has done anything special as an individual in the last year.

• of course with the World Cup it will be another bloody footballer next year

whatever the result

• Gertie wrote (see)
    In dulci jubil-yeo wrote (see)

The standard is lower for footballers than other sports persons

Bugger all

I just don't think that Giggs has done anything special as an individual in the last year.

Both exactly right.  That win makes a mockery of the whole thing.  The British public is an ass!

It was interesting to see Chrissie Wellington in the audience, and she didn't even get a mention. image

• I'm afraid i don't even know who she is. people won't vote for folks they've never heard of. fact.
  • GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    Johnny Jingles wrote (see)
    I'm afraid i don't even know who she is. people won't vote for folks they've never heard of. fact.

Triple womans Ironman world champion, fastest ever womans  IM, beat the womans World IM time record this year. Has never neen beaten over the IM distance.  She is pretty good.

Does she deserve SPOTY? Probably, she is dominant in her sport

Will she ever win SPOTY? No, triathlon and IM is a minority sport and won't get the public recognition. That's life

• Giggs?? All those athletes to choose from and Giggs won it?? Now I remember why I don't watch it...
  • Must admit, i had to ask my hubby what that was all about.   Thought i'd missed something this year.
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I was very annoyed with the result - I mean he has been going for years but he is no personality.

Also thought the team prize should have gone to Brawn or Ireland

And Chrissie did get a mention in the summary of other sporting achievements.

I truely think Ennis was robbed, such an accomplishment after injury.

• He has no personality. What a waste of time. Disappointing for serious athletes
  • how much personality do any of them have...........and unless actually have contact with them in real life how would you know what their personality is like.

i like ennis.....has she a great personality..........hard to tell as she was only on our screens for a couple of days and things were going well for her.....we only saw her when she knew the camera was on her....she could just act up for the camera..........the same for button. daly, beth the gymnast.........

I'm so glad murray didn't get it as he is just a spoilt brat with no respect for other players and hasn't even one a grand slam..........

• Bizarre outcome.

Surely Giggs has been given the annual award for his contribution over his career, which amounts to a lifetime award doesn't it?

• Huge wrote (see)
    He has no personality. What a waste of time. Disappointing for serious athletes

What a stupid F88kin statement!

Well deserved award for the most serious athlete amongst all of the nominees.

Also a fantastic role model & all round gentleman.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I have to say BRT i agree with Huge's statement, I think Giggs should have been given a lifetime award but not sports personality of the year, when you line him up against Ennis/Button etc who have acheieved firsts in their careers this year - giggs has been around for yonks and has been consitsent but I don't think his achievements this year are above and beyond ennis/button/haye/cavendish.

There is no doubt he is a great sportsman, I just feel like he was in the listings cos hes too young to get a lifetime award but he deserves some recognition. (disclaimer - I do think he is serious athlete, clearly he is, you don't play for man u for knockin on 20 yrs if you're not serious!!).

• I'm not a fan of Manchester United but watch the 'beautiful game' every week - sometimes three or four times a week.

Giggs was an integral part in Manchester United's Premier League winning side of last season; he plays the game with flair, vivacity and is the epitome of a much abused term 'role model'.  He was crucial to Manchester United's attacking options particularly since Ronaldo buggered off to Spain.  As an Everton supporter; if I'd been given the choice of any of Manchester United's talented crop of homegown players over the last 10 years to play for my club - Ryan Giggs name would be top of the list

Now, I'm quite sure that there were others amongst the group of nominees who had a very strong case to win the title - but don't let anyone kid you that this award was not well deserved.

Well done Ryan Giggs...

(Shame on the Stretford Enders who booed you four seasons ago)

• Xmas time BRT & mulled wine. wrote (see)

You would seem to be in the minority with your thinking, I presume you're a Manchester United 'fan'?  And as to say he's the most serious athlete amongst all the nominees, that's just a ridiculous statement to make!  He probably trains for 90 minutes to 2 hours per day for 5 days a week?  Imagine how long the likes of Ennis, Haye, Cavendish et al have to train for - I'm afraid his 'achievement' just doesn't match up.  I'm not even going to mention how long Wellington trains for!
  • So this year he did what....?
  • BRT is well red mate.

•  
    Colonel Bah Bloody Humbug wrote (see)
    Xmas time BRT & mulled wine. wrote (see)

You would seem to be in the minority with your thinking, I presume you're a Manchester United 'fan'?  And as to say he's the most serious athlete amongst all the nominees, that's just a ridiculous statement to make!  He probably trains for 90 minutes to 2 hours per day for 5 days a week?  Imagine how long the likes of Ennis, Haye, Cavendish et al have to train for - I'm afraid his 'achievement' just doesn't match up.  I'm not even going to mention how long Wellington trains for!

I think you have no idea if you think that a proffessional footballer at that standard can train for 90 mins a day and play at that level........to retain the level of fitness he has at that level for so long is no mean feat..........his life will revolve around training and fitness.

he is indeed a serious athlete.........no doubt they all train hard to do what they do........but don't put a great man down ..........

i think he won it because there was no one outstanding candidate this year and so the vote got split..........just checking out of all those who are moaning..........how many of you voted.......

its like politics..........don't moan about the government if you didn't get off your arse and vote............only by voting do you get the right to moan about the resultimage

• Sparkley Barkles wrote (see)
    BRT is well red mate.
    That would explain it, then. image
  • I voted for Beth Tweddle Seren - but can see the merit in Giggs getting it.
  • Giggs has been a valued squad member at Manchester United this year, occasionally starting a game. He may deserve a lifetime achievement award, but he's done little this year, never achieved anything at international level and at least had the good grace to look and sound embarrassed when he won.

In short, what a farce. The people who voted for him have done so because they're Man U fans. The big problem was that he was on the shortlist in the first place.

Plenty of the others have actually been best in the world at their sports, this year. Personally I don't think that gymnastics or diving are sports (more artistic athletic endeavour) but Button, Ennis, Cavendish, Idowu, Haye have all proved themselves capable of 'higher, faster, stronger' than their competitors.

Strauss and Giggs relied on their teams; Murray won nothing significant; Tweddle and Daley won artistic competitions.

What a nonsense, won't be playing again...

• I voted for Ennis.
  • Mind you, I voted for Olly Murs as well.
  • My current g'friend voted for Joe, Barkles... 11 times!... using my mobile.. Simon Cowell won though
  • Necessary Evil - Totally with you.

6 world champions, a 2nd in the wiorld rankings to choose from and they choose somebody who has played a few games this year for a domestic club - UNBELIEVABLE.

I haev nothing against Giggs and to have played at the top level for such a long time IS an achievement ... a LIFETIME achievement and that is the award he should get . SPOTY for 1009 - NO, NO.NO, NO.

I agree that he is a decent guy and was embarassed.

I voted for Ennis, but would have been happy for Button to get it. Turned the TV off and walked out of the room. I may not even bother watching next year - its a disgrace.

• Corinthian wrote (see)
    My current g'friend voted for Joe, Barkles... 11 times!... using my mobile.. Simon Cowell won though
    she must be really somthing for you to let her do thatimage..........image
  • I voted for Giggs because lets face it he does deserve it. At his age, him still playing for United is
    a flipping surprise as most would have been kicked out of the club.

Last season he played 47 times and won the Premier League, Carling Cup and
    got to the Champions League final and FA Cup semi. This season he played
    15 times and so far scored 3 goals. He also the PFA player of the year too.

He is a seriously professional athlete. He starts training at 8am and leaves at
    5pm. He would play twice on most weeks. He also does charity work for children
    and UNICEF as well.

I`m not discounting Button and Ennis. They train hard to get to their achievement.
    But Giggs have achieved alot over the past year and deserves to be shortlisted and
    compared to the others.