Sports Personality Of The Year

Comments

• Why should anyone be praised or rewarded for running, jumping, throwing, kicking or hitting things, it's  basically just playing.

WTSAA!

Get a proper job!

• so about 500,000 people voted for this, over 10,000,000 voted in the X-Factor this weekend, and what, about 10 people voted in the last election........image

Our priorities have gone totally tits up, and at the same time some people are making a fecking stack load of dosh. I'm in the wrong business, clearly......image

• image Lee only voted for spoty not that sad as to waste loads of money on x factor and come dancying.

How about this as a compermise for next year BBC? public vote for life time acheament award? for spoty? Then the likes of all the other people on that list get a far chance and next time someone nice who hasn't actually done very much other than there normal excellent best can be viewed fairly?

• Corinthian wrote (see)
    My current g'friend voted for Joe, Barkles... 11 times!... using my mobile.. Simon Cowell won though

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! image

Spoke with an ex (Liverpool) professional footballer this morning about this in the gym. He thought Giggs was the obvious choice because "the field was weak"image He clearly has a lot of respect for his achievements over the years. I couldn't disagree with him that Giggs is a great role model, but with 60 odd thousand people holding season tickets, how could Ennis have competed with that?

Mr LB is involved in the Boys Brigade and they have annual awards they give out. If they feel for whatever reason a particular award isn't really deserved by anybody, it goes back in the cupboard till next year, so as not to cheapen it.

Just a thought....image

• Ha ha Would love to see SPOTY IF they decided not to give it out, Watching old big ear Linekar smurking as he puts the trophy back in it's box and the crowd staring in disbelief!!!
  • It'd make good telly though...image
  • Even better TV if the potato seller wasn't on there at all!
  • It took Jenson Button 113 tries before he won his first GP - fact. He got lucky with a fast car - fact.

• JB he can only drive the car he's given, same as Haye can only fight the blokes he's put in the ring against, Strauss can only hit the balls he's bowled etc it's all relevant
  • F1 is a daft sport and classing drivers as affletes or sportsmen is pushing it in my opinion - ditto Golf.
  • I think you may find that Jenson is fitter than most on here!!!!!
  • Well I think he's quite fit...image
  • Hasn't Jenson done several triathlons??
  • He's bloody good at them too!

And he roped Jonathan Ross in last week! Now THAT I've got to see.....image

• Johnny Jingles wrote (see)
    F1 is a daft sport and classing drivers as affletes or sportsmen is pushing it in my opinion - ditto Golf

Had the pleasure of watching one of the F1 teams drivers in a training session earlier this year and I was astounded by what they managed to do,  not only were they exercising at a high intensity for a long period of time but were also doing interactive mental tests at the same time.   One of the most impressive training sessions I've seen from any sportsman

• Flat Footed In a Pear Tree wrote (see)
    Hasn't Jenson done several triathlons??
    Yup.  He knocks out a more than respectable time for an Oly distance as well. image
  • LB under the mistletoe if you want me... wrote (see)
    He thought Giggs was the obvious choice because "the field was weak"image He clearly has a lot of respect for his achievements over the years. I couldn't disagree with him that Giggs is a great role model, but with 60 odd thousand people holding season tickets, how could Ennis have competed with that?

LB this is what bugs me think a lot of people just voted Man Utd. Saying the field was weak is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of knowledge about any of the people on the list.

Murray because the greatest Brit tennis player of all time this year! Winning more competitions than everyone else even Fred Perry, getting to major finals. Wasn't voted just because he was a scot. 

15 year old boy won the world diving championship this year, hadn't even passed his GCSE's

Ellis won after braking a bone and relearning how to do her events from the other leg. Any triathafeck's reading think about that for a second? What if you had to relearn all your swimming a different way and then won the Ironman in hawaii?

The key word is in the title sports personality of the year? Gigg's has scored a good goal this year in the champions league and as part of a team won the premiership again. Fantastic achievement but still can't understand why he was even on the short list let alone won it based on this year? Roney did more for Man utd this year and was more in the media stoplight for the personally part.

Not dising Gigg's at all, just saying the people who voted him in didn't bother to actually think about it and no-one has yet given me anything that changes my view about his acheivements this year, that has been not as good as many of his previous years. Made the whole thing as meaningful as x factor. Was massively disresectful to all 10 shortlisted people and will unfairly cast a shadow on Gigg's in the eye's of people who are just as unobjective as the people who voted him to the top. He and everybody else on the list diserve better.

• If you just consider achievement in 2009,I would have voted for Mark Cavendish (T de F stage wins,Giro stages,major road race win etc).

However,Ryan Giggs has had an exceptional career and is a great role model...but the same can be said of Tony McCoy.

At least it wasn't a racing driver.I know they're fit,talented,dedicated etc etc,but the fact remains that success in F1 is fundamentally dependent on the car.

Spoty needs to decide what it is about-should "personality" be a factor at all ? (surely not) and should it look at 1 year in isolation ? (yes,but it should have a "sporting achievement over a career" award as well,which Giggs would richly deserve). 

• He would Dave but it is the year, always has been hence why think people voting for Gigg's this year is disingenuous and cheapens the achievement. Gigg's is the most decorated player ever in the English league. When he does retire hopefully after he's past 40 because he is class I doubt anyone is going to beat that record. He desurves better than sheep getting on a band wagon because who he works for and not who he is.
  • I'm baffled as to why he got it. Yeah good player - but he hasnt done anything more impressive this year than last year.

Cant understand the footy player saying it was a weak field, well maybe i can as you dont need to be the brightest to play footy.

Ignoring the several world champions in the list (are we getting spoilt a bit with success now ?), you also had Cavendish who is the fastest sprinter of his generation, winning Milan San Remo - a race that nobody thought he could, god knows how many stages of the Tour and Giro.

We also had Brad Wiggins 4th place in the Tour - best Brit for ages, and also Chrissie Wellington backing it up with winning the IM World Champs again - by a street.

Its been a good year for British sport. Football hasnt been a good sport for Britain for years now - so its odd to give it to a footy player.
  • When all is said & done the 'Giggs should not have won it'  boils down to two things,

Anti Football Brigade & ABU's (anyone but United)

Anyone that offers 'football players are not serious athletes' as as reason for him not being deserving of such an accolade is kidding themselves.

Like all sports there are those that train to the extreme to give themselves the best chance of being the best @ what they do & those that don't & are just happy to be in the shake up.

Giggs is the former.

The very fact that he has managed to maintain & hold down a place as a key member of the Britain's most successful football team over the last 12 months is as much a triumph as anything else achieved by all the other nominees.

He is @ the top of his profession & the like will never be seen again in pro football.

Awards like this are be partly created to inspire sporting greatness & achivement in others,namely the sports people of tommorow??

If that's the case then there would never have been a more deserving winner.

Knowing the man & given the fuss being made it would not surprise me if he gave the award back to BBC.

• The Sports Personality of the Year award is for the sportsperson judged by the public to have achieved the most that year.

Sadly two sports have the most fans, football and F1. When we get a World champ in F1 it generally goes to him, but this year Giggs was more popular.

But with Chrissy Wellington doing the Treble in IM, young Brownlee winning all 5 events and becoming Triathlon world champ and Jess Ennis for Athletics it's a minority sport (world have been different had Sheffield actually voted for her).

But it boils down to Popularity IMO and not what they have achieved otherwise people would have voted differently.

Wouldn't they eh?
  • Nice rant BRT and one I tend to agree with - but answer me this; if he's so well thought of by the Stretford Enders - why did they boo him; not just once but several times a few seasons ago?
  • BRT I still can't see what he has actually done this year? Please tell me?

This isn't a anti football or Man Utd rant far from it, believe it's unfairly hurt Gigg's reputation and damaged the prize. It's made it something cheap and tanished. Didn't agree when Owen won it but at least there was something that could be quatified. Did agree when Beckham won it but didn't vote for him.

Wellington is the perfect example a few years ago the short list was voted by everybody so they might have made it, was hand picked this year by the BBC panel purely because poeple didn't vote on achievment in previous years but voted on there own politics/club/who they throught would be funny to see on there.

• Corinthian wrote (see)
    Nice rant BRT and one I tend to agree with - but answer me this; if he's so well thought of by the Stretford Enders - why did they boo him; not just once but several times a few seasons ago?

Urban Myth!

I was actually at the game,when it was claimed he was booed nobody in T2 of the stretty did & that is certain.

Cake despite being of an age when he would be considered passed it, his form during  the 08/09 & 09/10 season has been nothing short of sensational & without doubt while United have continued to be at the forefront of British & European football he has been the most influential player @ the club.

• BRT, elegant defence of Giggsy's surprise gong. A very articulate argument as to why he should have won the lifetime achievement award.
  • Exactly but he didn't. Giigs won player of the year this year because of this. Rightly so but hasn't actually done anything this year that he hasn't done in previous year's so every the Brit public have snubbed him for 20 years or have voted for him this year from a position of looking for a premiership player and f**k anybody else?
  • Cake please tell me,what makes Giggs so wrong in 2009 & Beckham so right in 2001?????????

• I guess it all gest down as to what the award actually means...