Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

Comments

• The nerves are starting to kick in now, can't believe it is only a week away.  10 miles tomorrow, 5 Tue, 4 Thur then that's me until marathon day. 

Been getting  a bit of a sniffle when I get up in the morning, hopefully it doesn't come to anything.

When are you all planing on starting the carb loading, nerves can get in the way of my eating, then I hate the bloated feelign that comes with loads of carbsimage

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Hi all, some fabulous last minute training/tapering going on.....all the very best to everyone for the race. Glad to hear about the weather....let's hope they got it right and no change in the last week!!

I was enjoying my taper following my last LSR of 22miles (which is the furthest I've ever run and I felt exhausted).....when in the space of 4 hours, I picked up a vicious cold from my children and had an email saying my hotel -- which was booked in February ---- had ceased trading and has been demolished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cold just about gone now and I hope it doesn't come back.....do the bugs have some sort of marathon-runner-sensing-device on board??......and managed to find a great hotel in Nairn the owner of which is keen to help me out with very early morning carbs on race day.

I've started on the carb-loading today....I've lost 4 stone in weight with my training for this (my first) marathon so if I put on a few pounds in the week, never mind, hopefully body will have more energy on race day.

Looking forward to meeting you amazing speedy runners (and hoping some of the positive vibes will rub off on me too!!)...8 days and counting.....

• Nerves? My heart seems to miss a beat every time I think about it at the moment! My sniffles seem to have evaporated so putting it down to paranoia. Did the route on MemoryMap again last night and the hills at 18 & 20 miles don't seem to be more than at worst a 60m rise over 2K, almost flat you might say.....  image 

Looking forward to it so much, something a year ago I would never have dreamed of saying about a marathon.

A year ago I hadn't any intention of ever running a marathon........

See you all next weekend. Enjoy your tapers and don't do anything silly!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Blimey Ado - 4 stone? Well done! You're not the first I've heard of with hotel problems for the race but it being demolished takes the biscuit. My carb loading will begin on Thursday/Friday - try to keep a lid on my weight during the taper with the decrease in training.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Did the route on MemoryMap again last night and the hills at 18 & 20 miles don't seem to be more than at worst a 60m rise over 2K, almost flat you might say.....  image 

Good luck Chimney. After 18 miles it won't feel flat I promise you.image

• whats a little hill between friendsimage

not long now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck to everyone on thier taper it's been well earned see you all a week today

• Good to hear most of you are managing to keep the bugs at bay. I am surrounded by those with colds at work. Terrified I catch something at this late stage.
    Glad everyone's taper is going well.

Got 12 miles tomorrow @ marathon pace, then a 4, 4, and 2 on Saturday, oh and just 26.2 on Sunday!!!!!! Very much looking forward to the race and seeing you all in Inverness. Can't believe it has come round so soon.

Haven't started carb loading, but am feeling ravenous all the time these last few days.

Have a great week!
  • Hi all,

Are some of you running for charities and if so, do the charities have meet-up areas at start point or on registration day?

Also, does anyone have advice re the carb loading, ie how many days prior to the marathon is this supposed to happen? Also, dietary tips for the actual day? The last time I did a marathon I think i just had porridge for breakfast. I remember that you're supposed to eat v well the evening before, for it to process (but some carbs still be in your system)?!

One more question, i tried introducing sports drinks into my running, but they gave me chronic gut ache (which really affected my run). Then a friend asked if it had 'aspartame' in it (which it does). I've read up about this on the internet and it doesn't seem to have a good reputation. So I'll stick to water to be safe! But has anyone else had issues with sports drinks?! I have a sensitive stomach anyway (for instance I can't take anything carbonated), so I don't wanna put anyone off sports drinks, but just wondered if anyone else had similar experiences?!

Happy tapering. I can't stop sleeping right now!!?
  • Morning, jst got back from the last 10 steady (which started off rubish).  I am not v good a carb loading, seem to stick to the porridge/banana  v early on race day and that seems to work for me.  I just have a few jelly babeis and use them and water as the fuel (sports drinks make me sick and give me stomach cramps).  I also use coconut water and dilute that down - very  refreshing.  As we are only a week away I would stick with what you have been using.

imageimage

• Did a 10K race this morning at Highclere in Newbury. Lovely day for it, bit of road, bit of grass, bit of track, bit of mud. And lots of hills, you were either going up, or going down!

I did intend to just jog around. I did. Honest. It's just that, well, there were people I knew in front of me, and behind me, and, well, err, I, err, didn't exactly jog..... Given my aim for LN is to be under 4hrs my first mile today was 6:49, my last was the slowest at 8:14 and I did a PB by 2 minutes......  Also 11 1/2 minutes faster than I was last year when I was really trying. You'd  think I've been training or something for the last few months.  The best thing though was that I still felt fresh as a daisy and for a brief moment, quickly second thoughted, I considered going round again.......

Have fun this week everyone and don't over-do it

<says he, a fine one to talk!>

• I've also had a cold, started around Tuesday and just going now. Not bad timing actually cos I had GNR last weekend.
    Not done any running since last Sun but planning to do 5 or 6 miles this week, just to remind my legs what they're for.
    It will all be over a week from now!
  • Just dropped onto this thread to wish Dave Pace all the best for Loch Ness in 2010. It was a really enjoyable event in 2009, fantastic scenery, great atmosphere and an all round good say out.

Hope it all goes well this time

Enjoy the day

Bill

• Rei - have a very good breakfast as last year the start was delayed until nearly 11am so plenty of time to get hungry again. Or take a snack for the bus.
  • well thats the last sunday gone

did swansea 10k  38.40 & a 4 mile warm downimagejust waiting for next week now

hope everyones day went well

• todays half was bang on target for next week 2hrs 11 mins (with 1 wee stopimage)

so hopefully sub 5hr is on the cards

• yip Sunday;s gone and an easy week ahead until Sunday lol

Well done marathonman and chimney on your races today.....  I had an easy 10 in crisp sunshine, really hope to get weather like that next week.  Was good to run on fresh legs for a change, enjoy taper folks.

• Hi all, Thanks Bill for your words of support. This time next week it will all be overimage

Did an easy 10k today in 55.49. Felt really fresh and have no aches at all. An relaxing 5 on Wednesday and then riding up on Friday on my Goldwing, which I am looking forward to as it will be my longest trip on the bike.

Well done everyone on your training and tapering. Now take it easy this week and we will meet up at the pasta party on Saturday I hope.

See you soon. Dave.

• 9 miles for me on Friday - left knee was playing up a bit, looked online and seem to fit with 'runners knee' symptoms. it was worse on the downhill so now i'm worried about the descent at the start flaring it up and leaving me with 20 miles to stress over it!! aargh!! hopefully having the weekend off and just a couple of easy 3 milers this week will allow enough recovery.

glad to read all is going well, really looking forward to this!!

• I feel like a complete mess at present- think it's just the taper demons- had 2 really long lie- ins, went for a 2 hour walk on saturday, but no running since thursday- will go out for a brief bimble at race pace later today.

Don't think I'm going down with a lugry, 'cos my resting HR is lower than usual, 'spose that suggests I'm recovering from all the training, but I feel VERY tired just now.

Hope I have more energy next weekend - otherwise I'll be found snoozing in the bushes at the start!

• You have a snooze Tricialitt. I'll wake you when the gun goes offimage That's if I'm not snoozing myself.
  • well if we are all snoozing at the start you can count me in image

im feeling knackered at the mo too image and the early start on sat wont help will have to do pasta party and then get an early night image 

• Hi all - nice to hear that I am not the only one balancing nerves, excitement and injury fears!

For anyone who has ran before - do the buses have loos? And do friends/family all stay and view at the finish, is there anywhere else where they can view and then beat me to the finish (may not be too hard image )

Interesting to see the different variations on the taper - I did a lsr of 13 on sat  and may do a 30 mins jog tomoro and that'll be it for me.

• Not all the buses have loos- choose with care!

Can't advise re: viewing points- my OH NEVER gets to see me finish- always off birdwatching instead.

• MM ✭✭✭
    i've come down with a cold and chesty cough - what are my chances for being able to run the marathon on sunday? image 
  • @M - your chances are probably slightly only worse than they were a week ago. It will, however, be difficult and you might take an age to recover.

How badly do you want it?
  • MM ✭✭✭
    well, i've trained for it so would be gutted to miss it after all the hard work but on the other hand I don't feel i could even run a mile at the moment.  Also, got a nice week on Shetland planned for next week so wouldn't want to be poorly for that either.  Will see how the next few days go i guess...
  • hi all,thats monday taken care ofimage
    as for this taper it's a funny old thing we've come from high mileage runners to feeling totaly knackered bag of nerves & convincing ourselves that we got the dreaded lurgy

intereseting comment on loo's on the bus cause if i haven't got enough to worry aboutimagei got this aswell on race day my bladder won't last 20mins never mind an hour

TRICILLIT do we have to ask b4 we board the bus if it's got a looimageif we on a bus with no loo will the stop on route so we can water the hedge

M i'm afraid that decision as gotta be yoursimage

• the dreaded lurgy well i've got it!!!! Been feeling rough for the last 5 days its just typical with a week to go - I'm hoping it clears up this week - If it doesn't then so be it i WILL be on that start line

On the loo on the coach matter if there isnt one there is going to be one big rush to the bushes when the coach arrives at the start!!!!

• I have my own private loo a 15 min jog to the start. Well, working backwards from the finish I think it's about that anyway. You may yet see me sprinting to the start to turn round and jog the other way with the rest of you!

MM, you're lucky with your bladder lasting 20 minutes, mine feels like 20 seconds....

Off for a 30 minute jog tonight with the dogs in a few minutes. I'll probably do that Tues/Wed/Thurs as well. Friday I'll do nothing and have a little jog saturday night to stretch my legs after twelve odd hours in the car with  a few stops.....

Wonder how much weight I'll put on this week? My appitite seems more than usual and I'm doing a lot less than usual!

M. Personally I've destroyed myself on several occasions before by going ' To hell with it. My body can recover later.' It takes a lot longer to recover now than it used to. I didn't need to worry about a holiday afterwards either, just work. You're the only one who know's what your body is capable of.....

• Hi All,

Interesting to hear that some of you are feeling knackered. I've felt wiped out for almost a week now and just want to sleep way more than normal! I reckon if you've been following a regular type of training plan, plus if you work full time, then so much of your 'free time' has been about running. So you've probably gotten into a pattern of most 'non active/work' time that's just involved sleep and recharging. So now on the taper (with that bit more free time), your bod just thinks it should be sleeping. I'm also a big believer in the seasonal change (what a diff now trying to cram a run in before darkness descends at 7pm!) and how it affects all us mammals! Reckon if I was to do a marathon any later in Oct, I would NOT be able to get out of bed!

Enjoy the respite this week folks, and wear sensible shoes these few days, girls (or any boys who like heels!), as you don't want any silly injury with days to go!