Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Goldeagle thanks for the tips, we have 2 halfs booked this month, will be using the RW marathon training schedule, which starts in June but planning on using the 3 months or so to build up endurance, stamina and core. We booked our accom and flights back in January, we are sooooooo committed now I'm really looking forward to it and hope that maybe we can have a little RW banner so that we can meet up at the pasta party or after the race.

Hopfully this weather will settle down and spring will come rushing in, with my asthma I'm really struggling with outside running at the moment.

Travali what is the distance for the Paddock Wood run?
  • Options

HI all & Paulette,

I ran LN last year and had a great time. Don't let me scare you, I managed to finish, but fell at the finish line and it took the first aid guys 45 minutes to get me warmed up again. It was hard and even tho I finished, I felt the race beat me, so I am coming back again this year to beat it.

Last year I did a RW banner which I put up at the Pasta Party and I am willing to do that again this year.

The banner stayed up all weekend so it was still there at the post race meal.

Dave.

• Options
    I'm in the process of sorting my accomodation out now so hopefully should have that sorted soon - dont think i booked tickets for the pasta party when i signed up, may see if i can still get a ticket would be good to meet up with all you guys before the race and have a chat
  • Options
    I will definitely meet up at the pasta party. I really cannot wait and will be spending a week up there after the race. I did my third HM last week and have a further 4 booked. It will be great come June to actually start following the 16 week training plan.
  • Options

i'll be at the pasta party so im all for meeting

• Options

Hi Folks

This will be my 3rd time at Loch Ness (I ran the marathon in 2004 and 2009).

What can I say? It's beautiful but challenging, with hills where you just don't need them (mile 16.5-17.5 and mile 20).

But it's addictive and I love it !

• Options
    Look forward to seeing you all at the pasta party then image
  • Options

Hi all image

Must admit I'm slightly concerned about those hills! - I've been a bit scared of hills previously, but have already started incorporating more hill training into my training, so hopefully by the time the marathon comes round I'll be able to at least survive them.

Just wondering what marathon training programmes people are going to be following, or have followed in the past?

• Options
    Hi Sheri 12. I will be following the Runners World 16 week sub 3:30 training plan. They have the same programmes for different target times so there is something for everyone.  
  • Options
    Oh it's getting busy in here, excellent. I must check about that pasta party again, I don't think I got a ticket at signup either.

Re Paddock Wood, it's a half marathon that I've read some quite good feedback on but I will wait and see how my 10 mile goes in a couple weeks as I think Paddock Wood you can still enter on the day.

Training wise I am probably going to do a bit of a mash-up of Runners World and Jeff Galloway plans as I need a really long and slow build up to try and deal to my injury prone body!
  • Options
    Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    I bought pasta party tickets when I entered the race - so count me in for a meet and greet and soup!
  • Options

I keep coming back to this forum because this is the one I want to run.. I am 4 weeks away from my first HM and if all goes well on the 28th March at Wilmslow I will enter that night! Everybodys enthusiasm for Loch ness is infectious and I would so much rather have this as my first full Marathon than the likes of London. My aunti -in law from Aberdeenhas even been sounded out for the spare room in October so I just hope Wilmslow goes to plan!

Good luck with the training everyone and I hope to be joining you soon!

Now off to bed I plan a 10 miler in the morning.image

• Options

good luck james

hope wilmslow goes ok and you come and join us

• Options
    Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Go for it James. Believe in yourself and you'll get there....but don't put pressure on yourself. Enjoy it.

Loch Ness --- the more the merrier....

• Options
    I've signed up for this one and I can't wait. I've heard that the course has the potential to be quite tough but I've been including hills in my training for a while now. I'm training for the Lochaber marathon in April so once that's out the way I'll do some 10Ks and HMs then build up the miles again over the summer.
  • Options

I've signed up and like travali in this thread it's my birthday the same day so it was my present to myself. Run my first marathon on my 30th birthday. Not told any of my friends as I want to surprise them after.Only done a 10k and half before but hoping to do a variety of races this year funds permitting. 

Done an average of 86 miles for the last 4 months not including March so I think I'm well on my way in terms of mileage (touch wood I don't get injured). Looking to slowly increase to 50miles plus a week and follow a marathon plan 16 weeks from the start. 

Also will be at the pasta party so meeting some people would be cool.

I'm so excited, I can't wait and it still months away yet!

• Options

welcome darren

what a great way to celebrate you 30th image

im looking to do the same next year in new york it falls on my birthday, so gonna try my hardest to save for it

good luck training

• Options
    Now New York would be very cool. It's on my to-do list for future years
  • Options

I've got NY lined up for this year.  Not cheap at $11 + $265 for entry especially with the exchange rate at present.

Looking forward to Loch Ness.  Hopefully the buses will be fine this year image

• Options
    yeah theres gonna be alot of saving going on this year
  • Options
    I'm in.  I'll be 40 a couple of weeks laterso figured it'd be neeat to do an official marathon before then.  I'd like to be in the sub-3.30 range, but I can't be arsed to train at the moment.
  • Options

sub 3.30 image  i dream of those

mine is a sub 4.30 target but that might change after i do edinburgh imageimage

• Options
    Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Welcome new folk. Looks like it'll be a popular marathon for first timers and the experienced too!

When are you all expecting to start on your marathon training programme? Some of them are 3-4 months......starting in the summer, leading up to Oct.....but should we be getting up to some serious distances before that? I'll be glad to hear what people are planning........

• Options

Hi Ado

I'm planning on doing Hal Higdon's novice marathon programme, which is 18 weeks long. By my calculations that should start on 31 May, but I plan to start a couple of weeks before that to allow a bit of leeway for illness or whatever. In the meantime I've been building up my mileage a bit in order to have a reasonably solid base of around 20+ miles/week prior to starting the marathon training.

Would be interested to hear what other people are planning on doing.

• Options
    Hi- I've just signed up too- will be my 3rd go at this, I will use the FIRST programme, but I think it's best if you can be comfortably running 10 miles before your programme starts, otherwise, the risk of injury is high, as you ramp the mileage up so quickly.
  • Options
    koichkoich ✭✭✭
    Hello everybody. Just signed up now. Will be my third marathon, first time doing Loch Ness though. Used to live in the highlands so will be nice to head back north!

Just recently started doing trail runs again after a relatively quiet winter as far as running is concerned. Instead Ive been hiking and mountaineering, so at least my legs have kept (hopefully) some endurance strength.

Going to train up to do some half marathons again start of summer, then start pushing my distances back up to 20+ late summer.

Good luck to everyone, I hope to take part in forum conversation as often as i can.
  • Options

Hi am in for this one.Looking forward to it.Does anyone know if there are pens at the start for predited finish times or just a mass start?i

• Options

I did this last year and think it's a good event (the weather was excellent also), there's not much crowd support along the way though so be prepared to motivate yourself!

I would advise people to book accomodation early as they go quick! I got caught out and couldn't get a hotel, however I ended up staying in the youth hostel in Inverness (cost about £16 a night) and met plenty of people who where doing the run there!

Cath1, the start is suppose to be lined up in predicted finishing time, but I found it wasn't really enforced.

Good luck

• Options
    Hi,

This will be my second year running LS. Hoping to get my time down to 3.30 as i ran 3.42 last year.

Got to put more effort into hill training this year, got really caught out when the big hill arrived last year.

Hope everybody is still fit and well.
  • Options

Hi all, Looking forward to this my second Loch Ness. Hotel booked for the week and this year I'm travelling up on my new toy.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/10749/Gallery/DSC01140.JPG

Last year they did'n have pens as such, only predited times notice boards, so you can really choose where you want to start, but as this is a timing chip event you will get your personal time as you pass the start and finish times.

Good luck in all your training. Dave.