Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

Comments

• .clare. - it's an age away yet.  I've not done any running for three weeks due to injury, but I'm still hoping to at least have a good time on the LHM and, hopefully, manage a good finishing time.
  • Thanks Hywel, that makes me feel better. Although am sorry to hear abut your injury - hope it heals up soon!
  • Hi everyone, 1st time on LNM forum. Signed up for it straight after VLM (4hr 30). It will be my 7th marathon, or 8th, if I do Guernsey in August. Booked accomodation for Sat night in Travelodge, Inverness fairways, anyone stayed there before? We are travelling up on the Friday night, stopping off in Perth for the night and continuing on Saturday morning. Really loking foward to Loch Ness as always wanted to visit and see Nessie image  Good luck to everyone running and look forward to reading and contributing to the forum as the weeks go by. ps looking for a people carrier to hire for the weekend from the Bolton/North West area if anyone knows of anywhere (6 adults 2 kids) Cheers!
  • Hi All, starting my plan 2 weeks early as I probably won't manage heavy miles during my summer holiday..... so by my calculation thats this monday image and still not 100% on which one I'm going for. 
  • Hello everyone

I was relaxing and thinking that marathon training is ages away yet but I thought I'd make up my normal 16 week schedule and I realise it starts in about 3 weeks or so! At least I get to train through the summer months - winter training just isn't the same.

• My schedule is 18 weeks so that means it starts next weekend!! Eeek!!
  • This marathon training is a full time occupation!  At least there's now a real focus with the start of a proper schedule.  I don't have to think about the really big runs until week 10 so that means that the first half of the training should be relatively straightforward. In theory anyway.
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Yup- beginning to build the miles back up again- have just got over Lochaber marathon, have a couple of 10k's to squeeze in, then onwards and upwards.

10 miler last weekend without too much stress, hoping to be up to 20 miles by first weekend in july!

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Just started my programme too! it looks like our journey has well and truly started......

• I won't be training properly till I get back from my summer hols - mid july - however have a tri and a 55 miles run/cycle before my holidays so that should be a start.

I am planning to do this one as a fun run rather than a race - however i say that every time - and then train my socks off anyway - with very varying degrees of success. So - officially this marathon is my 40th birthday pressie to myself and i am going to enjoy it and NOT stress about my time.
  • A fun run!?!?  No matter how slow I go those last 4 miles are anything but fun!  I think to be honest my marathon training has always left a lot to be desired so it's no wonder I generally have an experience of pain and suffering.  This year should be different though. I have joined a running club. Ran my first 'club' 10K last night in 42:26 and have a full summer to look forward to.  My basic plan is to develop a strong 10K/HM base running at least 3 times a week then I'll start upping the length of my long runs until I'm back up to the 20+ milers again.  Triathlon is also something I've been thinking about for a while and I had to drop out my first planned attempt back in March because of work commitments so I might look out for something - preferably off road/MTB.

• Okay so maybe fun run is a bit strong. What I mean is that I plan to train well but not kill myself and have huge regrets when I don;t get the time i want - again!!

I am doing my first open water tri in 2 weeks time so have been cycling like a mad thing, and swimming a bit too. Running has fallen by the wayside a little so as of this week I am going to start ramping that back up and thowing in some of the killer interval sessions from my marathon plan just so i can get used to them now before they become vital.

High as a kite at the moment as just done a mini brick session and it felt good.
  • I'm always ok with the long runs but it's the interval sessions and tempo runs that I tend to 'forget' about. The end result is that my marathon times are much slower than they should be.  At least this year I've started off well and I'll be starting this training schedule in pretty good shape for a change.

I've considered doing some brick sessions (but never actually got round to doing them) as I quite often take my bike to work and back. The idea would be to drop the bike off at home and just straight out for a run. I quite like the idea of doing something different to keep things interesting when I'm training on my own.

• mm yes sounds like me too - i can quite happily run for miles and miles but somehow manage to forget to do the speedwork - funny that image
  • Please tell me that the chances of a hot Loch Ness are small and remote!  Crashed and burnt (in every sense of the word!) in the heat today!

Not a good running week for me - struggled to fit it in, and really struggled today.  Going to have to sort tings out before training proper starts very shortly!
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    I doubt it would ever be realy hot- a sunny, warm day is possible, no way it would be as hot as this, though.
  • Having read the last couple of pages I was unsure whether to jump in as a newboy in the midst of some experienced and well planned marathon runners!! I sha ll just read on in awe... ha ha. I think the butterflies have started 5 months early..... only ran my first half marathon last week and with family/work committments I reckon my training will be limited to 3 runs pw and a swim session...... and lots of prayer that this will suffice!
  • Gotta be honest, no training plan for me to speak of either and it's my first marathon. Have done a few halfs and just plan to make sure I up the mileage over the next few months, 15, 18, 20... Long as I pace myself I know I can do it.... he says!
  • Hi guys, popped on here as I am officially doing LN now!!! Yikes!!! My first FLM!!! I managed 19 today so I am optimistic as I managed that in 3 hours or so... so hoping for 4-4:30 or thereabouts!!! Have booked for Morags Guest House which is apparently very near to the Fort Augustus pick up (to the start), and was affordable at 18 quid a nightimage) Also booked for 3 nights... thought I might as well make a weekend of itimage Hope the training is going well people!!!image
  • tri chick if you're doing 19 miles in 3 hours just now then you'll easily beat 4:30.  You just want to make sure you don't peak too soon in your training.

Darren I tend to base my training on the FIRST programme which is 3 key runs per week and additional cross training. There's one tempo run, one speed session and a long run.  I would look to increase my tempo run to 10 miles and build up to 4 * 20 mile long runs at the weekend, the last being 2-3 weeks before the big day.  I've been running a while so most of my tempo runs are between 6 and 8 miles anyway and I do a speed/interval session with the club every week as well so the only thing I really change is the weekend long run. I'll keep it around 12-15 miles for the next couple of months then start to add in the 18-20 milers. Although if I feel good I might occasionaly up the distance a bit sooner.

• Thats great advice Greg - thanks. I was running 8 - 9  miles consistently every weekend for about a year before deciding to run the half marathon then added in 2 short runs - midweek -  25 min hill sessions, so following on from your advice above about peaking too soon - I am on holiday for 2 weeks at start of July and only leaves 12 weeks when I get back. Do I just build a good base level until July?

On the limited training above (longest run pre half marathon was 11.5 miles and ran the half in 1hr 40) when do I start to build up the distance again - bearing in mind I only ran again 1 week after the half!! So need to improve recovery also........... sorry too many questions from the rookie..... 

• Thanks Greg, I know I should be able to (unless i hit the wall - hopefully not!!), but as its a first Im just a bit unsure!
    I try and do a couple of sessions a week of say 4-8 miles, some just plodding along and some hills (it is LN after all lol!!) sometimes the dreadmill (for sprint intervals), and a long run... my hours are looking like they are going to change at work which would be great as Id get my weekends back and no longer have to pester people for Sundays off "as Im running"..lol!! Im hoping this will make things easier and that what Im doing now is sufficient (I cross train aplenty as well, daily cycles to work, swim x1 a week, weights/gym/classes 1-5 a week..), so I am fit enough but its still a new challenge, cheers for the advice, would you say start to taper off 4 weeks before??
  • Darren I wouldn't really class you as a rookie if you can run a 1:40 HM. My first was 2:35 and I was stuck at 1:54-1:58 for a good 3 or 4 years!

To give you an idea of the long runs, I'm following a 16 week schedule which starts on Monday 14 June.  The long runs are on a Saturday morning and are: 10, 12, 13, 10, 14, 15, 17, 13, 18, 15, 20, 15, 20, 15, and 10 miles with nothing on the final week as there's the small matter of a marathon the next day!  However I'm planning on starting off around 13 miles for my long runs and run something like 13, 15, 17, 13, 16, 18... and do an extra 2 * 20 milers (in place of the 17 and 18 miler).  That way I'll do a 20 miler every other week between the weeks commencing 26 July and 6 September with a 3 week taper.

Darren using the above as a guide it would mean you'd start the really long runs when you come back from your hols but if you can get a few runs in when you're on holiday - even if it's one a week - it'll make a big difference when you come back. That way you'll be well rested and ready for the big runs.

tri chick I'm guessing you'll in pretty good shape for marathon training and you should be fine. One of the big things for me is avoiding injury and cross training does help.  I keep saying I'll cycle to work and back but I just don't do it often enough. I do one session a week at the pool and occasional gym sessions but I'm planning on taking it more seriously this time.

The only other thing is to get used to the length of time that you're running for and developing a mental toughness to cope with the latter stages of the marathon.  There's a point about the 20 mile mark when things start to get quite tricky to say the least! Those last few miles seem to go on and on but you've got to be strong enough to be able to keep going. Your mind will continually tell you that you can't make it but you're body is a lot stronger than you think.

So there you have it, my marathon training plan of sorts! 

• Brilliant thanks!

I will check out the FIRST programme and figure out what essential bit of clothing i will leave at home to get the running shoes in for hols. Ha ha I do feel a rookie - I was pleased with half time but then bit unsure of marathon training as my legs were stiff for 3 days after and I know that once you start to hit the distance training then my legs need to cope with the longer stuff and still do the temp/speed stuff a few days later.

Plan is try to follow your suggested 3 runs a week tues, thurs and Sat and maybe do a swim session on a monday

• Thanks again Greg, looked at your mileage targets and think that kind of "plan" would suit me, so thats what I'll aim for, roughly image
    I know what you mean about the mindset. I ran for about 3-3.5 hours today(not sure exactly when I left home - oops!) so I'm getting there. Knees are a tad sore tonight, so took it easy at gym tonight, and plan is for an easy swim in the morning and gym later. Run on wednesday and some yoga after for a good stretch.
    I guess I'll get there! Thanks for the advice!image
  •  COASTERS GB RELAY

WE STILL NEED RUNNERS FOR THE LEGS BELOW ON THE OBAN - ULLAPOOL STRETCH CAN ANYONE HELP????

Oban - Tobermory 21mi  Gone2thedogz  Sat 5th June
         -  [ferry Tobermory-Kilchoan] Sat 5th June 18:00 hrs
    Kilchoan - Ardslignish 9mi Sat 5th June
    Ardslignish - Salen 10.6mi Sun 6th June
    Salen - Glenuig 13.9mi  Sun 6th June

Glenuig - Lochailort (NR) 8.1mi  6th/7th?

Lochailort (NR) - Arisaig (NR) 8.8mi  7th?

Arisaig (NR) - Mallaig (NR) 7.4mi 7th?

-  [ferry Mallaig-Armadale. Offord will collect Barry at Mallaig]
    Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh 22.2mi Offord Tues 8 June or Wed 9 June
    Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton 5.7mi Longbow
    Plockton - Stromeferry 6.8mi Longbow
    Stromeferry - Strathcarron 7.9mi Longbow
    Strathcarron - Achnashellach (NR) 6.8mi Longbow
    Achnashelach - Kinlochewe 11.1mi
    Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4mi
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6mi
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2mi
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3mi
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m
    Mungasdale - Dundonnell 8.9mi Colin Sun 13th June 11am
    Dundonnell - Inverlael 7.8mi (Offroad - saves 12mi) Colin Sun 13th June
    Inverlael - Ullapool 7.1mi Colin Sun 13th June arrives Ullapool approx 6pm

I would like to point out.. that we can further split up the legs that are left.. should anyone looking in wish to run a shorter distance!  You can of course get a group together and split one of the legs into 2 or 3 shorter runsimageimageimageimage

Do it for Barry! 

Do it for fun!

Anyone can run!

OBAN - ULLAPOOL

• I really really want to help but have no idea how to get to any of these places other than Oban - but then I'd be stuck as to getting home - I dont drive so I'd have to have some plan there. ALso, the 6th and 13th are out as I have races those days... if I can help with anything otherwise let me know!!
  • Hmmm, am in need of motivation today. Dont feel like running six miles after work in this heat, especially when we're moving house & going on holiday tomorrow so have loads to do - but really need that run - I guess I'll just have to pull myself together and get out there!!
  • I know the feeling Clare. I'm running a 10K after work and I'm feeling a bit lethargic. Once you're out the door and running you feel fine but it's getting the motivation to get out in the first place that's the hard part.
  • Clare, Greg - it'll be worth it - whats the other option? Britains got talent?

I need a bit of help on 2 training fronts - how do I do the speed sessions in the first programme - I have no running track near me so how to I measure distances etc?

Second on my long runs - starting at 10 miles up to a couple of 20 milers image  - do I run all of these 'long runs' at my proposed marathon pace? or the shorter ones at a quicker pace?