Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

Comments

• Tricia - you and me both with a mix'n'match programme - I am trying to go with 3 runs and a swim minimum a week. I will probably do the easy run if it coms after an increase in the long run at the weekend. But if the long run felt ok, I will go with tempo and either fartlek or hill work.

Having never run a marathon in my life  - who knows! But I am have ran 9, 10 and 12.5 miles last 3 weeks and averaged around 9.15 min/mls and I will try and keep that going.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

DT- sounds good- but DO slow down the long runs once they get much further than half marathon distance, otherwise you'll be too knackered to get the necessary miles in.

I've been bad and missed my long run this weekend- 'sposed to do 13 miles- only did 6, 'cos I'd been rock climbing and was too hot, too tired, and too hungry to stay out more than an hour. Will make up for it next week- spending a week at a holiday cottage somewhere near Jedburgh- nothing to do all week but eat, drink, and run.........................possibly not in that order. Oh, and I 'spose I could watch the tennis.

Hoping to get in at least 3 runs of 13-15 mile distance- may try to do a 20miler if it's not too hot. Need to remember the recharger for Garmin, IPOD, and legs!! 

Does anyone know when the unseasonal hotness is due to go away?

• If you're going on holiday Tricia that should guarantee rain!
  • Hello all,

I'm signed up for Loch Ness - really looking forward to it despite the hills. I'll be too busy bargaining with God by mile 18 anyway so hopefully some extra pain won't bother me too much... Did Edinburgh this year (my first) and decided to sign up for LN while still under the influence of the post-marathon euphoria, swiftly forgetting that during the last 2 miles of Edinburgh I promised myself I would never even run for the bus again never mind anything close to a marathon just as long as I got myself over that finish line!

Bring it on, I'll be ready....

..... I hope!

• After all my preparations and personalised training schedules etc I ended up having to travel away because of work and didn't quite get to start my schedule as planned. At least it happened at this point and not a month before the race. Anyway I'm now in week 3 of 16 and I hit my mileage target for week 1 but then missed last week completely. I'm now back on track this week and I'm cycling to work as well.  So all in all I'm feeling more positive again.  I'm also going to run to work and back for a change which will add in another couple of 5 mile runs to my weekly total.

Although I'm basing my training on the FIRST programme I think I'll tweak it to suit and add more runs but reduce the intensity.

I'm not really thinking about the hills at his point!  I do have a specific route that I do up in Appin which is about 18 miles and has quite a few undulations before finishing with a monumental hill in the last mile.  A few of those badboys should get me in shape for the Loch Ness hills! At least that's the theory.

• ***WARNING***  Self indulgent, moaning post to follow!!!! 

Hi Greg - work travel is royally screwing up my schedule too.  Feeling very despondent about how I'm going to fit it all in and whether this is even feasible anymore.  Can't decide if I should just admit that the next 6 months are not an ideal time for marathon training, with the way my job is going to be.

I've missed 3 weeks of running and now I'm too scared to get out there again.  Can someone either:
    a) tell me to shut up and stop moaning and just get on with it.
    b) remind me that I still have enough time to make up the difference if I just get on with it (if that's true).
    c) tell me to give in now and as I've already booked accommodation just have a nice holiday with the Sunday spent spectating.

• a) and b).

Three weeks missed with such a long time to catch up shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

er, edit: Don't forget to scale back a bit from wherever you should have been in your training and scale up gradually.

• I'm in the same boat as others - trouble fitting in training - but come on folks, we've still got 13 weeks left, just got to find the time, it'll be worth it on the day when we're overtaking people that didn't have time to train!
  • Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    BTeam I too have missed nearly three weeks and I finished the Black Country Half today. Not quick by any means, but it gave me a real motivation boost which had started to dip....so, i'd go for (b) and don't worry about moaning about it....isn't that what these forums are for??
  • Awww, thanks everyone image.

Right, I'm up and breakfasted (yum yum) and nearly off for a (scaled back) long run.  I think defining it as 'long' might be a stretch but who cares!

I woke up this morning with the phrase "rolling stone gathers no moss".  I have no idea what I had been dreaming about, but I think in my dreams I was giving myself a mental kick!

And well done on the half Ado!
    xx

Back from a restful week in the scottish borders- managed to get in 3 decent runs- 19k, 21k, and 26k. (Sorry- Garmin set in metric!). Toes a little bruised, but otherwise feel good, but I must say, that at the end of the 26km one (about 16 miles, I think) I was wondering how the hell I ever ran the full distance last year. Need to remember that the training always feels like it won't be enough to get you thtrough the race distance, but that, once tapered, and full of race-day adrenaline, it IS enough.

Certainly don't be thinking of giving up at this stage, even if it's not going well- just build slowly into your plan- they all have a couple of weeks slack built in anyway, I think, as I think everyone has a spell where things don't go to plan.

What a horrible day- was planning to go out- maybe I'll go to the gym, and watch the tennins on screen whilst ticking off a few treadymiles.

• Well a  VERY slow 80 minutes done and dusted.  Very slow and very hard but very pleased to have done it.  Like you Tricialitt I spent the whole time wondering how on earth 26 miles might ever be possible (though I'm nowhere near 16 miles in my training!).  What a difference 13 weeks will (hopefully!) make!

I think any run of about 90 minutes or so pushes you into "long run" mode- I can definitely feel that something different happens after that point in terms of metabolism, etc.

TBT-An 80 minute run, of any speed/ distance is a good start back- just don't overdo the "come back" and end up injured!

Say's Iimage-I may have slightly overdone the week's running- just did a sneaky 10 miles on tready watching the tennis- at the end I noticed big blisters under 2nd toenail both feet.......................satisfactorily popped now, hope they settle quickly - perhaps I should have realised that the slightly " bruised" feeling of my toes yesterday was the prelude to a problem.image.

Never mind, a couple of days of enforced rest- relatives coming to stay.

According to my schedule- next weekend should be my first 20 miler!!!imageimage- Seems awful soon- I've never even attempted to do one this early in the scheme of things, but hopefully last weeks mileage will help me on!

• Hello everyone, hope Sundays long runs all went well. My schedule said 10 but I under estimated my route and ran 11.4, longest run so far of the training - feeling ok but very tired, like the others seems hard to imagine running 26.2 miles! But we're getting there!
  • Oops, I only did 8.5 miles today but there was a few hills and I'll be building up every week from now on - least I've started!
  • Morning everyone

After a bit of a stuttering start to training I finally managed to put in a solid week with 4 runs and 6 bike rides taking me up to 28.5 miles running and 30 miles on the bike so I'm feeling quite happy. Of course this is now the start of week 4 of 16 so there's a long way to go yet. I did my long run yesterday of 13 miles in just under 2 hours and considering the torrential rain and gales it was a serious achievement to just get out the door.  It started off a bit of a struggle but I gradually got back into the long running mindset which I do prefer to the 10K running that I've been doing recently.  So my runs were a 7.5 mile tempo run then a 4.5 mile run with hills, a 3.5 mile easyish run then a 13 miler.  This week is an easy week so all I have to do is hit 16 miles with a 10 mile long run. Which is quite handy as I'll be off to T in the Park this weekend to undo all my good work!

Just back from a tempo run- Wow- hard work!!- all that long slow running last week has left my legs in pieces, - think I'll take it easy, if I'm going to get round 20 miles on saturday!

Enjoy T in the Park!

• Has anybody booked accommodation for the sat  night, not thick but the website for the marathon is not very helpful!??
  • I've just booked my accomodation yesterday. I went for Morag's Lodge in Fort Augustus which looks fine. It's more of a hostel but they do have private rooms (www.moragslodge.com). I did look at Inverness but there wasn't much available and I don't want to spend a lot of money.
  • Is anyone else doing strength training to complement their running schedule? I'm running four times a week and strength training twice, just interested as to people's views on whether it benefits your running? Mostly I'm trying to avoid injury.......
  • Clare I would say strength training is a good thing and in my opinion it does help prevent injuries. I try to include some once or twice a week but I've not been to the gym much recently so I've not done much strength training. But strength/cross training will be a big part of my marathon training this time.
  • well everyones training seems to be up and running.  I started my plan 2 weeks early as I'm off on holiday this Sunday and don't fancy doing heavy miles in the sweltering heat, planning on doing a few shorter runs when I'm away just to keep things ticking over.

I have done a 16 and 18 miler so far, have my first 20 the weekend after my holiday.

I usually do strength traing twice a week but have been finding it difficult to fit in the past few weeks due to family commitments, hopefully I will get back in to the swing of it once I get back from my hols.

• I've just spent 30 mins reading this thread and have a massive urge to go and do this race again ..... it was by some margin my best race of last year and I'd love to do it again, for no other reason than I think I could do it faster!

Hope those of you doing the 2010 race are enjoing the training image

NE

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

NorthernExile - go on! you know you want to!

Easy 40mins tonight for me. Let's see how that goes......

• Yeah ive been including some weights into my training, hoping to get some extra upper body strengh for powering up those hills! Started cycling to and from work everyday for some extra CV.

Done 15 miles on Sunday in the pouring rain and it never stopped every step of the way, lol.

• I see that the entire route is on Google Streetview....(not sure how long that has been up there?)

Those hills don't look so bad......!! image

Well- my 20 miler never happened- only managed 15.5 miles, and feel soooooooooo sleepy now image, still, it's all mileage in the tank, and onwards and upwards from here- looking back at the last 2 years, I'm definitiely ahead of the game this time!

A lazy weekend in front of the televised sport, me thinks- F1. golf, tennis, Tde F- as long as I don't have to watch the footy!

• Mate, it is documented the hills are pretty bad. I have ran this twice and will be doing so again - dont let it surprise you. Train for it and it will be fine. That said - as you approach the bottom of the hill about 17m you see in the distance the incline and THAT is a killer
  • "only" managed 15.5 miles tricialitt!!  I'm impressed with that!

I did a 10k on Wednesday night then had to sit on a train on Thursday for hours - I've been stiff since then! Aiming for 2 hours today, but very slow (and it's hot out there already boo hoo!).  Will see how far I manage.

Sounds like people are getting really good distances in already and training's going well. 

• I echo your sentiments The B Team - 15.5 miles isn't anything to worry about right now. I managed a very hilly 12 on Saturday and I am very much out of the loop with hills and I felt OK at the end of it all. Doing the Yorkshire Wolds half on Saturday near York which again is full of hills (I'm told) so useful practice for the scary part of the marathon.

Just need to perfect my running to work plan now so I can get a decent run in before 9am. I don't mind the getting up, its remembering to have the clean shirt etc at work. It did go disastrously wrong once and I ended up shopping in Leeds at 9am wearing my running gear. Focus boy, focus!