Options

'Round The Coast Of Great Britain Run

Comments

• Options

FF Essex

Hoose -North Wales-Liverpool (ish)

Paul Williams Liverpool- ?

Cake - Yorkshire coast past Humber down to Suffock depending on what other nutter's what to do the east side and dates.

Dark Vader - Kent Sussex ish

Slo sho - Kent Sussex ish

Loon Dod -North East  Scotland

we will get round yetimage

• Options
    having the forum is great as we can keep track of where baton is and who has got it at any point of time. We can all have an interest. A real forum event I reckon.
  • Options
    Could be tempted to do some in south Devon, depends on waht time of year you are going to run, I would have to arrange a trip home around it
  • Options

great Dave. We will be able to give rough idea of dates once all areas "filled up" I guess. From start to finish will be over a 3 month period. Each region will take a week so peops on that region can organise who does what bit. Yopu know what I mean. 

FF Essex

Cake - Yorkshire coast past Humber down to Suffock depending on what other nutter's what to do the east side and dates.

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options
    would anybody object to Blackpool Tower to Blackpool Tower?   
  • Options
    Can't see why not with Blackpool Tower, or something like Lands Ends?
  • Options
    Yip gotta be a landmark FF. As long as Barry The Baton gets round-that is what matters eh? Great for linking runners from all over. Glad we got one potential to do some of the craggy ends of Scotland eh?
  • Options

Thinking might be a idea to get the fetchies involved in this to? Know most are on both sites but there are some hard-liners. I can ask around when I get on lunch if you like but horse think the honour should be yours.

The cragy bits might prove a problem, only a few scots about these parts we could get Lee the pea to do the lot?image

• Options

just ask round Cakey. I have been asking on scottish treads and such. I think if we all target a few peops making them aware. I reckon we should get enough by January to take Barry round in theory and get dates sorted then . Aim for 100 days but not make it too rigid for obvious reasons. I am sure it will be a first nevertheless. If RW was to dfo a bit on it , it would helpimage.

lee could do us a big chunk-lol

• Options

If we say Barry The Baton does 40 miles a day. It would matter who does what and at what time so long as he is picked up at end of day and starting new 40 the day after. Peops could then do some before and after work and maye someone in between. I think that is best. I can do my 40 ish in one day ut would be nice to split itimage

the only peops you have to organise with will be who you are taking from and who you are giving to.

• Options
    Seeing as I am in the minority of Scottish people here, I may as well throw my hat in the ring.
  • Options
    great stuff CD-what bit of coast would you like?
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Erm few things spring to mind:

Coastal Access Bill http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/countryside/coastaccess.htm

Its a looong way... Coast of Argyl and Bute itself is over 1500 miles or someting daft. According to Wikipedia (and quoting from Ordnance Survey)

"the ordnance survey records the coastline of the main island, Great Britain as 11,072.76 miles"

"According to the CIA factbook the length of the UK coastline is around 12,429 km or 7723 miles"

...logisitics of doing Caithness coast...that is hellishly remote.

• Options
    Well, I'm currently in Fife, but I live near Aberdeen, and I reckon I could perhaps get my mum in on the act as well - she's an ex-marathoner - so I could take the coast from Aberdeen up towards Fraserburgh - not sure of the distances though.
  • Options

good pointers Nick. Obviously the aim would e as near to coast as safely possible. It would be best to let the Scottish runners decide the best most practical route -some do run around there I guess.image

It can be done. A scottish peop could perhaps map a suitable route.

• Options

FF Essex

Christmas Duck(and maybe mum) -Aberdeenish coast

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options
    If I did this, like some people who have shown interest I'd have to break it up into chunks - I'm not quite up to marathon distance yet!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I'm interested, live in Hertfordshire so could do something in the direction of London outwards.

The only thing is all my annual leave for next has already been allocated leaving me with weekends only to do this and I've also already got events being planned for next year so it would depend on when it is.

I haven't even completed my first marathon (VLM '10) so 40 miles would just be too much for me even if I had 24 hours to complete!

I know that makes me incredibly unflexible (just a little bit!) but I'm putting the offer out there just in case it's needed!

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Hoose - have you been to Cathness, and in particular the Cape Wrath area?

The reason I say is that it is VERY sparsely populated.  Particularly from Ullapool north.

• Options
    that would be good CD. If we all do a bit it will get the baton round. There will be local runers that would take the baton off youimage As long as we know who we are picking up from and giving to that is all that matters I guess. 
  • Options
    Nick L wrote (see)

Hoose - have you been to Cathness, and in particular the Cape Wrath area?

The reason I say is that it is VERY sparsely populated. Particularly from Ullapool north.

Just thinking - from Inverness north there isn't exactly that many roads that follow the coast either.....
  • Options

K8 - that area will have one or two runners so it could be split.

Yes Nick /CD- but I guess some peops run near there. It will be  the toughest bit to get peops to do but it is a chhallenge. Maybe someone can do a it of off road. that is why I want a few scottish runners in. A big challenge for someone up there. But the Scots are a tough lotimage

• Options

FF Essex

K8 -Londonish-south coast -

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options

Oh what a really silly idea image *puts name on list*

FF Essex

Shimmster - North/mid Kent

Dubai Dave -South Devon

I have a forum friend who has contacts in the Wick, John o'Groats area.  I will see whether she is interested.

• Options

Just picked up on this thread and whilst  I think it is a great idea I wouldn't be able to commit to the bigger distances. Perhaps you could have a point to point 'champion'. FOr example i could be champion for Grimsby to Skegness (or longer obviously) and i can either nominate to run it myself or get a team together to run the distance. It would then be my responsibility to coordinate those runners and recording where we are up to, That way you'll have more effective management of the baton and the specific areas of the coastline.

Just wanted to make that suggestion really as I think you'd be more likely to get people on board if they could contribute smaller distances. Having people manage certain areas will also make it alot easier to track and plot the routes.

I'd do it if that was the case but cant the do the bigger distances but wouldn't be able to commit more than a few days unfortunately! Really cool idea though!

• Options

great Gemma and thanks. Yes I thinnk peops sorting out different districts is the was to go. Then we can link em all after.

FF Essex

Gemma DG- Grimsby Skegness way

Dubai Dave -South Devon

some coastal walks and bike rides and that in North  Scotland

• Options
    I'll be happy to run along some of the North East coast
  • Options
    maybe later and depending on overall interest  peops could start there own district/segment threads.
  • Options

Thanks DDimage 

FF Essex

Durham Dawdler -Durham/North East

Gemma DG- Grimsby Skegness way

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options
    will get some mappy peop to split coast up into say 12 bits from major town/city to town/city on the coast. And perhaps labbel them 1 to 12image I will see what I can do on that too but not very techy.