Saturday December 13th

Morning all,

Back from an xmas do, so a rare chance to start the thread.

• What:  4m
  • Why:  Running 101
  • Last Hard: Devonian
  • Last Rest:  26/11

Have a good one!

Comments

• Morning All

Thanks for all the well dones , next up Dubai Marathon.

Pop: Lets hope that you keep running this year and post here.

Sharkie: Hope that you are back on top of the world soon

What: another day another race, the often raced distance of 4.3 miles, which happens to be two laps of the park
    why: Tis the christmas pursuit race tonight
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Thursday

Have fun

• Morning,

Nice work DD, yet still lots more to come a decent course. Take care tonight!

What: may have a short outing
    Why: only running in daylight at present, and there isn't much of it/last week's 12 minutes jarred the shoulder rather, but only afterwards/may help at a race

Lyrics: nope

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Its actually the 12th today.
  • Hello again...good point Stylish...not only is it the 12th but two weeks today it'll be Boxing Day...presents done and dusted, the sales will have started...in addition to the sales that are already on.

What: reporting 20 mins very slow, off road
    Why: because I could! Very slow. Have lost a lot in the last seven weeks...and I don't mean weight. On that fron have only managed to put on around three pounds: was down to 10st 3 with the target of below 10 stone for Christmas. That won't be happening!
    Anyway, onward and upward, and the arm hurt no more than when doing anything else: the test will no doubt be in the night, not that there is much sleep anyway...still can't get comfortable. I'm sure AF knows what I mean.
    Last hard: sadly that was

Wonder how BR's weight loss is going.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I think lyrics are from one of the most requested funeral songs...
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

good morning all.

great news alehouse - so glad you've managed to run again.   It's a start.  

Hello stylish and HCC

What: 9.6 miles easy
    Why: it's saturday
    Last hard: wednesday
    Last rest: 13 Nov

Great run, I do seem to getting just a tad faster for less effort.  Well, on any day except wednesdays!  

Hope to be able to squeeze 14 or 15 out of my legs tomorrow too.  

Have a good day.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning all

Alehouse - good to see you running again. I guess the next couple of weeks will be uncomfortable, then it'll start to kick in again.

AF, what is running 101 (hope I'm not being thick1)

DD- congrats on a very even paced run on what seems like a demanding course.

Sharkie - hope the leg's OK. Thanks for the animated training report - great read as always.

Chick - what news on the pull

Moraghan - that 5min MP/5min LT sounds a really tough session - definately one I'll take a crack at in January.

This morning's effort was a brisk 9 miles. I normally like to push the Saturday session and came into it off a rest day yesterday. I think I over egged it bit as I found it quite hard to hold the pace, though there were phases were it was flowing comfortably. Legs pretty wasted but no significant aches or pains.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
  • Hi Guys, I've been in the doldrums myself over the last year or so and looking for a way to get my running into gear. I hoping to do a LSR of 10-12M tomorrow but its gonna be cold. Need to be 100% mentally right going into New Year and VLM 2010. 
  • Sorry about the date; I had trouble typing as my hands felt just like two balloons.

I didn't know the lyrics were a popular funeral choice;  I'm having "White Lilies" by Laurie Anderson

Tom:  101 is a pretentious americanism.  I think it comes from most under-graduate courses having a code 101 e.g.  "Introduction to Existentialism 101".  The practise is to add 101 to indicate a basic/simple level.  It's a bit like suffixing any scandle with "gate". 

• Afternoon!

Stylish- cold is good! Means you won't overheat... It's easier to add extra clothes & pretend it's warmer than cool down in a scorching summer run (not that we get too many of those...!). Good luck with the lsr, it'll all be worth it come vlm!

Good luck to any racers this weekend!

What: 11 miles done, out in 44:30, back in 38:10
    why: the new base phase tradition for me of having 1 day a week out of the comfort zone
    last hard; last Saturday
    last rest: Thursday
    lyrics: i thankfully don't go to many funerals, so nope

have a good weekend! On way to do some Christmas shopping. Being a typical male, I'll wander lost around shops until I get fed up & make snap decisions!
  • Afternoon all,

alehouse: good to see you running again! It'll come back, don't worry. Easy does it for now.

mava - your training seems to come along nicely.

Paddy - good to see you back. All the best for your new job.

hi Stylish - I like cold image Just wrap up warm

Sharkie - how's the leg?

What: 11 miles easy today
    Why: because I can (whatever niggle was there has disappeared)
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: I think so
  • Meant to say hope Gobi and TT go well in the cross country...and hope you are Ok Sharkie.

AF: thought 101 was to do with room 101, which is where my running is at present, although I hope to retrieve it!
  • Afternoon

just lurking no running busy working and all that

Hello stylish good to see you in these parts hope you find your running and escape the doldrums

Sharkie - it appears i have missed something have to read back hope things can be done

Paddy - new job? something else i missed good luck with that

DD - i did read you got a new pb thats great good luck with the marathon

What: nowt
    Why: acting the zombie
    Last Hard: sunday i think
    Lyrics: nope
  • Morning all,

DD - terrific race, especially given the circs. Dream on.

Popsider - really sorry to hear that. You do what you've got to do, and as others have said, at least you have the bike. I had about 18 months of achilles and related troubles, but eventually it did just give up and go away. Possibly because I got so slow that running no longer inflamed it!

Paddy - fingers crossed that the new venture works out well. Relieved to here that you are not continuing with the monster drive.

AF, so that's what you meant by 101. And I, Yankee born and bred, never twigged. I thought it was an Orwellian reference.

Sharkie - hope glute/ham behaves and sorts itself easily. I would vote for a quick trip to the massage artiste.

Alehouse, glad to see that it is sufficiently recovered for you to get out for an airing. Here's to better things!

SGQ - happy belated birthday. All these youngsters!

Wabo - congrats on VLM place!

Me? Hadn't been for a run since Monday, what with family and other factors. Family included my daughter in law elect in the solo role of Tchaikowsky violin concerto. I haven't listened to anything since - don't want anything to interfere with those tunes still bouncing around in my head.

Did get out for a run today, running the southbound (homeward) leg of what will be the Run for Phil, just to see that it all works and the trail is not to hard to follow (it isn't). Took it real steady, as I was on my own, and the area is pretty isolated. It would not be hard to twist an ankle, and you can't count on anyone coming by. In three hours I saw two groups of walkers. Thus about 12 miles in about 2:45. That includes time spent taking pictures for the Road Book, but I'm not sure that cost me any time; I probably benefited from the rest.

Can't deny I am tired now. If I don't get considerably fitter, a lot of that Run for Phil is going to be walked by me. Still, I can feel pretty content with today's effort. I had always been slightly scared of running that stretch on my own, and I did it. Doing slightly scary things keeps an old lady from curling up. worth doing even just for that.

take care all.
  • What: You shall go to the ball Cinderella
    What do you mean by that you mad tart: I can go out for a run this affie and to track tomorrow.

Lyrics: Yes. I'm surprised at the funerals link- it's totally inappropriate unless you have a very black sense of humour. Pleasantly devoid of feeling does not mean dead!

Thanks for concern about my iffy leg. V. good news after a REALLY useful visit to the phys. No lasting damage, mainly overwork. Sgt. Shelley is convinced that the problem is connected to my anterior tilt of pelvis plus some rotation. Anterior tilt very common in sprinters. She reckons it is as I first thought - irritation round the hamstring insertion.

As I got faster - and more tired - on Tuesday I would have naturally (and subconsciously) have tilted more and put more stress on my hamstring as the leg pulls through going to the high knee bit. That's exactly correct because when I was trying to duplicate the pain this morning, so I could describe it accurately to her, I had to sort of wheel the leg and then kick it through (to replicate the neccessary force I would generate when sprinting). She said the painful bit is too low for pirformis.

AND she is not happy about me running at 11 min pace for 2 miles - she thinks the ceal suggested run/walk at a decent- for-me pace is a far better option. Working up to a mile or so at 8 min miling. She thinks the very slow running is inappropriate and possibly harmful because - for me - it emphasises all the wrong things.

I am allowed to go out this afternoon but have to pay attention to running with good form. She is of the opinion that years and years of cycling etc have given me a good enough general aerobic base, and I don't NEED a specifically running based aerobic base. I am never going to race further than 400 metres, and there is so much more to get out of my 1s and 2s it will be counter productive. I know lots of people will disagree but the sarge is the third or fourth person - who knows me personally and has seen me run - to have independently come to the same conclusion.

Also she thinks I am far more likely to be over training than under training, but that I have got the balance about right. And all the other aches and pains are just overworked muscles. QoP instructed to work on my lower back, obliques and hips on Monday.

And I have got to find a way to stretch my hammies that works for me.

Hurrah, nothing wrong with me! Apart from mildly overdoing it, which she understands.

"It takes 8 to 12 weeks for the body to adapt, you're going to be in great shape for the Indoors. And listen to your body sharkie. There is nothing wrong with occasionally missing a session."

Lots more to say but I think that is quite enough of me for now.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    AF, using the 101 principle could I call myself FUBAR v2.0
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

LOL Arclight - an exageration I'm sure

Sharkie - great post.  You are lucky to have such a great support team!

Stickless - congrats to d-i-l elect for her solo. Well done on the 12 and doing something that scared you. There's a long time between now and the run for Phil - don't write yourself off too early.

much prefer running in the cold to heat but I put that down to my russian and scottish genes.  Not designed to cope with heat!  

I will be fingers crossed for a week now.  My name has gone into the hat for a club place for VLM.  Others who marshalled last year will have priority over me but if less than 4 names go into the hat I'll have a place. And then I'll have to prepare for 2 marathons in 2 weeks.  

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Like it Arclight...

What - NHTT 5K - 9th in 19:31, so getting slowly back to where I should be.
    Why - Its  a Saturday thing...
    Last Hard - Toady
    Last Rest - Thurs

Take care

• Evening

Sharkie: Good news

RFJ: Getting there?

Back from the Christmas pursuit Race, a handicap race with teh handicap based on your best time for two laps of the park this season, thus i started 10 mins 30 seconds behind the rabbit with my club mate who finished 2nd in the 1/2 M yesterday off 15 minutes. Two laps is 6.85K or 4.26 miles.

No great hopes as calf muscles very tight after yesterdays efforts, ran a lap prior to race in attempt to loosen up. Off I went soon caught the runner who started 10 seconds in front of me, ran rest of first lap on my own, at the start of second lap club mate who started 20 seconds behind me ( He did the Aussie IM last week) caught me and I hung on and on and on until he left me in his wake in the last 200 metres. Crossed the line and the RD muttered " I knew you were quicker than I handicapped you". So second overall, a new shiny cup, bottle of moet and a new PB of 28-38 for 4.26 miles! Good weekend two PB's  a cup and shampoo!

Night!

• What:  a.m. 2.5 easy; p.m. 5.8m inc drills, strides, 10 * 100m fast relaxed (ave 13.9) + 1 * 300 in 46 seconds (supposed to be 1500m pace but got excited).

Why:  I want my speed back.

Last hard:  yesterday, could feel it in my legs today

Last rest:  thursday

Sharkie - sounds like you have a good physio, they are hard to find.

Arclight - look forward to the official comeback!

• Dubai Dave - nice one! Does that race have a disqualification if you run too fast? I remember my son doing a 5 mile handicap race as a kid, and they gave him a good handicap. He finished 1st and was very happy till they disqualified him. Needless to say it didn't encourage him to put on running shoes again for a very long time!

RFJ - good 5k - you should be pleased.

AF - I knew what the 101 was all about - as that's about the stage I seem to get to with everything!

Sharkie - glad you are fit and rearing to go with no slow running for you!!

Arclight - well done on the 9 miles and Chickadee and Jason on the 11 miles - solid stuff.

Jason - good advice to Stylish.

Stickless - you must be very proud of your daughter - well done on getting out and putting all that time on your feet.

What: easy flat 6 miler.

Good running everyone.

• Evening all

13 miles earlier - nice run except for unscheduled fartlek sections chased by a couple of dogs, one large, one small - never know which ones are worse!!. Weather great for a change.

Nice one DD - is the Moet in the cup yet?? 

Wonder how the x-cers got on?

• Evening folks.

Fantastic stuff with the job Paddy. What is this new venture? Cheers for the comments. I liked the knitting needles/porridge analogy too image

alehouse - cool on the run. Hope you get a pain-free sleep.

Sounds like the mojo is definitely back arclight.

Welcome Stylish.

Very nice DD!

As for me, xc was, unfortunately, pretty much as expected. I knew after the mara relay last week that I had completely lost any kind of speed in my legs. Tried to run sensibly and not try keep up with the early pace setters and rely on strength to pull them back in, but the course was too quick and (generally) too dry for that to work. Left hamstring went a bit funny after ~1.5m, got a stitch after 3-3.5m (without explaining how I know, it's a lingering effect of the antibiotics linked to my IBS problems). Course ended up being about 10.6k instead of the advertised 12k, which was a shame as the stitch was starting to ease coming towards the end and there were 2 within catching and passing distance if it had been the right length.

End result was 9th place (first 6 qualify for the county team by right), and, rather disappointingly, I was first home for the club. Disappointingly because this is only my 3rd semi-decent week back training from the pneumonia and I was still well clear of our 2nd scorer. I believe we won the team competition though.

So, in a nutshell, about as good as expected, but not as good as hoped for. Finished well behind guys that I have whipped on the road when fit. I suppose the plus is that, despite not really having the 'right' to be p!ssed off about it, I am to an extent. I do hate losing, particularly to people I know I can beat when we're all firing on all cylinders.

On the plus side, we test-drove, and loved, a Skoda Octavia, so that's our new car sorted. Will actually get it next week, but we should have it within a fortnight hopefully.

What: w/u, ~10.6km xc, c/d.
    Why: don't really know.
    Last hard: today.
    Last rest: Wednesday.
    Lyrics: No.

Was good to have a jog and chat with Gobi. Obviously I shall leave him report in himself.

Night y'all.

• TT: well done...well on getting the Octavia if not the running result you wanted! Know several people with Octavias, and all speak highly of them. Running-wise, what chance of making the County Team: they must know that you will improve over the coming months (I assume you want to be selected!). Was going to recommend a Volkswagen Tiguan, knowing that you test drove the Qashqai...test drove both for a friend and we came down in favour of the Tiguan...invariably borrowed by friend's daughter who has two kids under three, and all the paraphernalia that goes with parenting.

Re sleep: haven't had a good night for seven weeks now...longest continuous sleep has been four hours, and am struggling to get back to sleep after I've woken up. Most of the time am feeling very positive...there's lots worse off than me, sadly.

• Dave Another great result. Typical short race bounce immediately after a longer one.

Moraghan Oh nice session sir. Fast relaxed such sweet music! And that 300 was faster than 1500 pace by some margin...

TippTop
    Good report, your feelings clearly conveyed. You'll be back in style - competitive instinct  in good health.

DD's excellent performance - only a day after he PB'd at a tough Half reminds me of doing something similar only in smaller (shorter) terms. This was a the end of my 3 year flirtation with distance running. I PB'd and got second place on the club handicap of 4.2 miles then the following day got three PBs in the sprints at the Vets finals. I think it's quite a common phenomenon although I wouldn't like to test it these days. So all power to Dave!

As for me - I went out for my 4 mile whatever it turned out to be and discretion was the better part of valour. Yes, big improvement on yesterday when normal paced walking was difficult. Fast walking fine but running at ANY pace was uncomfortable. It was less uncomfortable if I kept my hips high and stayed BOF, but I could still feel the irritation. So after 2 miles of walking and running I mainly walked on the way back even the lovely downhill stretch.

I KNOW this was the right thing to do and I wasn't being wimpy. My legs are dog tired still, and didn't much want to lift from the ground. There really is no point in flogging a dead horse. Or shark.

Physio did say I could run so hope I stopped soon enough and haven't mucked it up for tomorrow...
  • DD - bravo - very acceptable.

TT - I can recognise the frustration, still, glad that you can recognise that you are not really yet fighting fit. IBS and antibiotics - are you able to tolerate yoghurt? If the milk doesn't queer things, often yoghurt restores gut to its proper bacterial balance. It might make a difference.

Alehouse, pain is a real killer for sleep, and sleep matters, though more for some than for others. One of the useful conclusions the GP, the rheumatologist and I came round to was that sleep is worth ensuring. For me, it meant being relatively lavish with the paracetamol. Pain that in the daytime I would scarcely be aware of, at night, while it hardly registers as pain, it still is enough to wreck sleep. It was exceptionally good advice, effecting a very noticeable improvement in quality of life over a period of a few weeks for a very small increase in the use of tablets.

• Evening,

Just popping in to say hello - haven't run today as I've driven from Wiltshire to Cheshire and back to deliver Christmas presents.

Lyrics - are we doing the original or the Scissors Sisters' cover?  I'm having "(Come up and see me) Make me smile" at my funeral.  Not ony does the title appeal to my sense of humour for a funeral, but it's also about my favourite song ever!

Tomorrow I plan to get out for about 12M.

• alehouse - yes, and I've made my feelings (and performances) known to the selector as well, so just got to wait and see what happens. At the end of the day a lot of it depends on who decides to take up their spot from those who qualify by right. Funnily enough, with the car, convincing Mrs TT to test drive it was the hardest part - being Czech she initially wanted something less familiar, but the new 'facelift' model is pretty snazzy looking.

Cheers sharkie, and certainly sounds like being sensible was the right approach.

Stickless - I can manage live yoghurt in small doses, but am also taking a daily probiotic tablet. The saviour for me though is a product called Candaway which addresses my specific issues. Guaranteed to work, but takes a while to get there (I guess two strong doses of antibiotics cause more problems than normal).

• Lyrics were, as some guessed, "Comfortably Numb".  I think we'll have the Floyd original to celebrate its 30th anniversary.  Where did those 30 years go?