Coasting Round Britain - Plymouth to Bristol

Comments

• I've just read the main thread re: dates.  I do think it's a good idea to have an idea about when I'd be needed (end of August would work out ideal!).  However, we'd never get it done in a week as it is set out.  I'd rather run it more leisurely and perhaps take a rest day inbetween the second and third of my legs. 

However, if we were to go for it in a week, as we'd need to run a few sections each day, I'd be happy to swap around a bit so it could be done.

On another subject, It'd be great to have some company on any run.  Feel free to add youself to my sections and we'll run at the slowest pace.

• Adding myself to the Ilfracombe-Lynton section:

Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays) 12.1
    Fowey - St Austell Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Mawes - Falmouth MC2 43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard MC2 33.3
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Just - St Ives 40 - Andrew Ives
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Newquay - Padstow 24 - Possibly PaulS4  + fraggle too if weekend/hols
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4
    Tintagel - Bude 21.3 - Andrew Ives
    Bude - Clovelly 25 - Boyddie
    Clovelly - Bideford 27 - Boyddie
    Bideford - Croyde 20 - Boyddie
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 20 - Wrinkly (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19 - Caramel
    Lynton - Minehead 21.5 Senor Spam
    Minehead - Burnham OS 50 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.
    Burnham OS - Weston-Super-Mare 13 Mike352
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon Mike352
    Clevedon - Bristol 24 Stephen NR

• Welcome Caramel, great to have you on board! That fills our last spot so if all goes well we should (fingers crossed) have someone able to run each section now depending on when get given Barry!

Dont forgot we can always double up and im sure many people wouldnt mind the extra company, this would not only help with motivation but if someone has to drop out then we still have someone there ready to run!

Now we have someone for every section we can start to work out our individual routes and work out how long they could take, it doesnt have to be 100% accurate but would be a good idea, but imho i'd forget the whole "1 week" thing on the main thread and just give yourself as much time as you want or need!

I guess if you can run or not at a given time depends on when you get the Baton yourself so it would be easier to work from the first runner up until the last runner, however to start off with if you could estimate how long it will take and put it by your name in the lists then  will work from there. Dont forget if your running on a coastal path it will be a lot harder than running on flat roads so give yourself plenty of exra time if you think you will need it!

If like me you have no idea, you could always just keep it very general in time and put something like "half a day" or "full day" o be on the safe side and work out more detailed times at a later date.

oh and Stephen, glad you agree with me on the main thread image

• Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Bude - Clovelly 25 - Boyddie (half day)
    Clovelly - Bideford 27 - Boyddie (full day)
    Bideford - Croyde 20 - Boyddie  (3-4hours)
    Minehead - Burnham OS 50 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.

Floater Joddly

Floater Ian AKA Honey Monster.

• Hi all,

Have fully recovered now from the virus that I had, went out for 3.5 miles yesterday morn.

Just completed refining the Minehead to Burnham-on-Sea section on Bikehike.co.uk and the distance is 48.71 miles, took me 4 hours, it was the 2nd time I did it, yesterday took 3.5 hrs thinking I could just add on to some I did a few days b4, turns out it wont save a course that youv'e added onto a previous saved course, all that time wasted AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyway it's saved now and heres the link if you want to look at it: www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=29642

Cheers

Phil.

Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    Bude - Clovelly 25 - Boyddie (half day)
    Minehead - Burnham OS 48.71 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.

Floater Joddly

• Nice course you have there, very close to the coastline, shame you have to do that HUGE detour to get accross the river, but i guess theres nothing else you can do about that. Any idea of a timescale for your route? I guess it would take a full day unless you wanted to split it up further?
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    Bude - Clovelly 24.90 - Boyddie (half day)
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 14.21 - Wrinkly (nice ice-creams at Croyde)

Floater Joddly

• If we're not worried about doing it in a week I'd probably take 4 days to do the 3 stretches and split it up slightly differently.  I'd stick to the coast path which in places is tough, hence the going may be slow and I'd not fancy doing 30odd miles on day 3.

I'd go for

Looe-Fowey (12 miles) = 1.5 to 2 hours
    Fowey - Pentewan (15 miles) = 2.5 to 3 hours
    Pentewan - Portloe (14.5miles) = 2.5 to 3 hours
    Portloe - Place/Falmouth Ferry (13.6miles) = 2 to 2.5 hours

I could split it 3 ways  (prob more miles on day 1 as from Looe to Porthpean is a lot flatter than from Porthpean to Place.

Plus, I've changed St.Mawes to Place as I think the ferry crosses to Falmouth from Place, stopping at St. Mawes on the way. 

• Hi all,

Yes Boyddie I'll probably try to split up that section a bit further, shall contact a couple of other mates from the local running club to see if they're interested.

I shall probably start doing my Sunday long runs along some parts of the route to check access etc...

Cheers

Phil.

• Hi

Only just caught up with this thread. I live in Somerset (Yeovil) so could help out as needed with the Lynton to Weston stretch. I did the "Exmoor Seaview race" on a boiling hot day in 2008 which covers the Lynton to Minehead stretch - fairly tough and hilly - took me 4 and a quarter hours - so if that's not too slow maybe I could keep Caramel company?

• Hi Duracelldeb

Did you follow the Coast Path for Lynton - Minehead or the road?  I'm not sure if the 21 miles is the road or coast path distance.  I bet the road would be easier than the coast path - and it still offers fabulous views image

Looe - Fowey Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays) 12.1 2hrs
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    Bude - Clovelly 24.90 - Boyddie (half day)
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 14.21 - Wrinkly (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Lynton - Minehead 21.5 Senor Spam, DuracelDeb

Floater Joddly

• Coast path including stretches of cobbled beach across Porlock, scenic stretches across the moors, lovely woodland tracks and a near vertical climb that makes you proud to be alive. Some of the road would be ok in winter (definitely not in tourist season) but it would be a real shame not to have the variety of terrain.....
  • fair point!  Just looked at some of the pics of the Exmoor Seaview race on the Minehead RC website too - looks amazing and I agree it would be a missed opportunity to follow the road.
  • Hi Senor spam

I don't know if you've looked at the link for the minehead to burnham route, I've started the route at the circle opposite Butlins, are you happy with there for the change over, whether it'll be me or one of my mates I don't know (hope it's me, bit more scenic).

Cheers

Phil

• Hi Phil

That sounds as good as anywhere.  Are you a Minehead man?  If not then next time I am down there I will wander along the sea front and see if there is a particular spot that is more condusive to a hand over.   Eg a comfy bench next to a cold drinks stand.

Cheers

SS

• Hi SS (can I call u ss?)image no I'm a  Bridgwater man for my sins a comfy seat with a cold drink sounds good to me, I'll have one waiting for u if I'm the one that's gonna b there.

Cheers

Phil

• Hi Duracelldeb,

I did you Seaview that year as well, Really enjoyed it until the climb up from Porlock Beach. The only race I've done and said "Never Again" about, although it was appeared on my list for this year, the food the club put on after the race was excellent and I remember honey sandwichs at one of the drink stations.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm down to do the last leg of the previous section and the first leg (Plymouth to Looe) of this one.

Assuming this leg starts on Sunday 29th August, the start would be off the first ferry from Stonehouse (Plymouth) to Cremyll on the Cornwall side, at 9.30. It'll probably be 2.30 before we are at Looe, especially if the previous day has worn me out!

If we need to start this leg earlier, I could drive to the starting point with Barry, having reached the other side of the ferry the evening before (likely to be lateish as I can't start that leg until the afternoon to coincide with Low Water for crossing the Erme!)

How does that sound, Necessary Evil and Pies & Salad?

• It does sounds good to me but in reality we have no idea what month it'll be, let alone the date.  I've seen people predict everything from July to December! 
  • Hi Caramel

It was a bit warm that year wasn't it? That climb up from Porlock I looked at and thought "that's not physically possible" but then I realised others were ahead of me part way up and I was SO proud when I got to the top..... The bit I hated most was dodging the overweight families eating ice cream on the seafront on the last mile when I was barely capable of running in a straight line never mind dodging and weaving round people. I'd do it again though

• Hi All/SS

Did 5 miles this morning, the first 2.5 miles of Minhead to Burnham Leg, 2.5m out, 2.5m In. Extremely Bracing weather (Love it), No real problems to report, just a section of large pebble path to run on, could possibly turn an ankle, might be better to run on the beach, or could run along outside of golf links course, might get a few comments from the players.

Took a picture of Barry the batons changeover point.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/356647/Gallery/Coasting_round_Britain_(Minehead_Changeover_Point).JPG

• haha i thought you were ging to say something like "we could use this as barry" image

Great idea in taking a pictureof the changeover place, shame i cant really get down to devon to try out my route, maybe at half term if i have time!

• Haha very good boyddie, wish I'd thought of that, on another point just received this e-mail from Simon at bikehike:    Hi Phil,
    Thanks for getting back to me.  It's all a bit moot now anyway.  
    Because of the possibility of litigation I have reluctantly decided to 
    close down the route database side of the site.  You should download 
    and save your routes to your PC.
    regards,
    Simon

So if anyone's got routes saved on this site I suggest you download them to your PC if you want to keep them.

Cheers

Phil

• senor spam wrote (see)
    fair point!  Just looked at some of the pics of the Exmoor Seaview race on the Minehead RC website too - looks amazing and I agree it would be a missed opportunity to follow the road.
    Senor Spam - Looks like it's you and me so far on this stretch. Do you want to recce it sometime?
  • Hi Duracelldeb - a recce would be great - although based on both your and Caramel's comments re vertical climbs I might have to not look at the bit up from Porlock beach until the day.  I've walked the bit around Porlock Weir and Culbone Church in the past, the rest of it will be new to me.

Thanks Phil for the pic of Barry's Minehead change-over point.  I've got a feeling that Duracelldeb will like that one as well, as I think most of the Minehead ice cream eaters will now be on the Minehead - Burnham leg image

Caramel - can you recommend any good hand-over places in Lynton?

• Caramel, since you're being asked about changeover points in Lynton, what about Ilfracombe?  I wasn't sure whether outside Madonnas bra (sorry I can't remember its' real name) or the Harbour would be best.  Which would you prefer?  If I can get up to North Devon before May I'll get a photo of the handover point (I might even run a bit of the route).

Boyddie, I know you're from a long way away so I'll try to get a photo/exact location of somewhere easy to find on the Coast Path in/near Croyde.

• Hi Senor Spam,

I'd recommend the top of the cliff railway.

Th coast path zig zags down to Lynmouth from there, So you get a little warm up before the Climb up countisbury hill.

• Hi Caramel - thanks - that sounds like it will be easy to find and a good base.  Hope that doesn't mean that you end your stint with an uphill!  Very considerate of you too to think or warming us up before Countisbury Hill.