Coasting Round Britain - Plymouth to Bristol

Comments

• Hi Senor spam, It's a climb up from the Valley of Rocks but the coast path then levels out into Lynton.
  • Hi Boyddie, my first section St Just to St Ives which is about 40 miles (no accurate measurement yet) will take me about ten hoursif i'm sticking to the cost path, maybe less if i find some flatter bits,Anyway i will run this in one lump as long as i have the daylight (safety first).

My other section,Tintagel to Bude should take half the time of my first section if it is half the distance !

I intend to recce both sections during my summer hol's, thats if Barry doesn't arrive before then(early August), then all i need to do is tie in  with the other runners where to handover / takeover the baton.

I made that sound easy .

Andy

• who is co-ordinator of this stretch? Could they identify themselves by placing name by link on main thread?

ta

• Hoose i told you ages ago i would help out, sheesh image

Nice work Andy, I'll add that info to the list, you certainly did make it sound easy  image

• Boyddie, I'm hoping to get up near Croyde tomorrow, so will look for a suitable handover point near the coast path.  I'll find the grid ref and get a photo. 

• Boyddie wrote (see)

Hoose i told you ages ago i would help out, sheesh image

lol-sorry -am getting old. Anyway you are now on the list as co-ordinatorimage
  • Wrinkly Smurf wrote (see)

Boyddie, I'm hoping to get up near Croyde tomorrow, so will look for a suitable handover point near the coast path.  I'll find the grid ref and get a photo. 

Nice! I wont get chance to go down there until at least easter (march/april) so i cant really check the my route for a while but i'll be happy to hand it over to wherever you think it a good location.

A photo would certainly help, but im sure our handover will go fine, just make sure you dont have too much ice cream before you run! image

• lymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays) 12.1 2hrs
    Fowey - St Austell Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Mawes - Falmouth MC2 43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard MC2 33.3
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Just - St Ives 40 - Andrew Ives (10 hours)
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Newquay - Padstow 24 - Possibly PaulS4  + fraggle too if weekend/hols
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4
    Tintagel - Bude 21.3 - Andrew Ives (5 hours)
    Bude - Clovelly 24.90 - Boyddie (half day)
    Clovelly - Bideford 27 - Boyddie (full day)
    Bideford - Croyde 20 - Boyddie  (3-4hours)
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 14.21 - Wrinkly (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19 - Caramel
    Lynton - Minehead 21.5 Senor Spam, DuracelDeb
    Minehead - Burnham OS 48.71 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.
    Burnham OS - Weston-Super-Mare 13 Mike352
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon Mike352
    Clevedon - Bristol 24 Stephen NR

Floater Joddly

Floater Ian AKA Honey Monster.

• Oh and Andrew Ives, if you receive the baton either late at night or early in the morning and you can run your Tintagel to Bude in the morning (assuming it takes half of your first section) then you could pass it on and i could get on with my Bude to Clovelly section on the same day.

However, with not knowing the route and it being quite hard going along coastal paths and through a wooded area, especially near clovelly where its very hilly then if you want to take longer with your section i dont mind as i could always run my section in a full day or try and do 2 sections in a day depending how feel.

If you did arrive i bude at night, would you be staying there or would you be traveling back home? Only i would be traveling from bideford so if i collected the baton at night i would either have to go back to bideford and back to bude again the next morning and pick up where we changed over the baton or try and find somewhere in bude to stay. Would be much easier for me to collect in the morning or midday. I'm awkward, sorry! image

Guess it all depends when you get the baton yourself. Do you know bude well? Got any ideas for a change over point? I just assumed somewhere on the beach-front or somthing like that, but if you can think of any better ideas then let me know!

• Boyddie, sorry to let you down I didn't get out of the in-laws all day - me and the kids were all stir crazy by the end! 

Is there such a thing as too much ice-cream?  I hope to finish with a curry in Ilfracombe if possible (there's a Ghurka Restaurant there that is excellent), all I need to do is find some showers (my plan is the local pool if it's not too late).

I'll get a phote next time I go up there - may have to plan a work meeting near the area image work can pay for the petrol then as well! 

• Wrinkly Smurf wrote (see)

I'll get a phote next time I go up there - may have to plan a work meeting near the area image work can pay for the petrol then as well! 

Haha i like your thinking! Dont worry about it anyway mate, you didnt let me down, its going to be months until we have to come to any specific place, its was very nice of you to even offer to do that in the first place image

I didnt think there was such thing as too much ice cream, but then i ate a whole tub of ben and jerrys ice cream and felt very sick! Think you will be fine to run on an ice cream or two if your feeling up to it image I havnt really thought about what i'll do after my sections, i guess just pig out on whatever food i can find, but you cant beat a good curry!

• Surely at the seaside it has to be fish and chips?image
  • curried seagullimage "Cant a na"a'n bread be dipped in it too?
  • Boyddie, if i have the baton the day before the start at Tintagel, i will begin my run at first light, i always think its best to have time in reserve in case of any problems such as a blow out in the trainers ! I hope to get to you to give you time to complete your section.

I have to admit i don't know Bude at all,i live a fair way off so until i have a look at the area on my hols Google Earth will have to do. Anybody from Bude that knows a good handover place, reply to this, thanks.

I'll sleep in the van or tent before the start of both my sections unless the wife is supporting me then it may have to be B&B

No seagulls, i have enough of them here.      

• Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 14.21 - Wrinkly (2-3 hours)

Floater Joddly

• Curried seagull, Naan and chips - - makes me hungry to think about it!
  • Hi Boyddie,

sorry been off radar for a while but back now. (been nursing various injuries and colds)

Still keen to do the padstow-tintagel section. Thanks. Could poss do the one before that too, maybe share it with my brother. If I am down there for a week might be fun to run a bit of one of your sections with you as well, ( if you fancied a bit of company).

Will have a ponder and let you know how long I think it will take me. Dont plan on gunning it so prob about 4-5hrs I guess. Good work fella!

Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4 (4-5hours)

Floater Joddly

• PaulS4 wrote (see)

Hi Boyddie,

sorry been off radar for a while but back now. (been nursing various injuries and colds)

Still keen to do the padstow-tintagel section. Thanks. Could poss do the one before that too, maybe share it with my brother. If I am down there for a week might be fun to run a bit of one of your sections with you as well, ( if you fancied a bit of company).

Will have a ponder and let you know how long I think it will take me. Dont plan on gunning it so prob about 4-5hrs I guess. Good work fella!

Hey Paul, dont worry about it, ive been off on holiday and been quite ill over the past week or so, combination of the flu and getting far too dehydrated which was my own fault image

Glad your still with us, i added your estimated time onto the list for pad-tint and would be reat f you could still dthe one before it, completely up to you! I'm sure most people wont mind having people along with them so if you fancy any of the runs just get involved with them although theres still plenty of time to decide yet!

How you feel better and get over your injuries!

• Hi Guys

this section is doing greatimage

sorry about on main thread -saying that "only 1/2 sections have got a co-ordinator" which found itself underneath your thread on co-ord list. That was simply due to the fact that at the time this thread was the last listed and the comment was made to get other threads (NOT YOURS) to give a co-ordinator. I failed to delete that comment when other co-ordinators were listed. It gave the impression the comment was aimed at the co-ordinator of this thread (sorry Boyddieimage) which it certainly was not. I have put problem right now.

x

• Hi Boyddie,

I've seen that the link to the route I made for minehead to Burnham takes you to the bikehike route database so here's the link to the route I saved at fetheveryone: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-172092 .

heers(Letter after B on my keyboard don't work) 

Phil

• Hey Phil, nice work on the route, never heard of fetcheveryone, but looks like a nice site to plot a route!

Looks like your running on the beach a lot, just beware of the tide if it reaches up to the top of the beach image Think hilly coastal paths are hard enough for me but running on sand knackers me out in no time, good luck with it! Epic little detouryou have to do because of the river, shame you cant cross it earlier but cheers (my c works!) for planning your route out, puts us closer to getting the full coastline for this section mapped image

I'll change the link on the current list so it links to your new route on fetcheveryone instead of the old route on bikehike! Do you have any idea of how long it will take you to do your route so i can add that info as well? It doesnt matter if your not too sure, a best estimate will do for now!

Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4 (4-5hours)
    Minehead - Burnham OS 50 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.

Floater Joddly

• Best guess for the Lynton - Minehead run is 4 - 4.5 hours. Not plotted it on a map thingy cos I've run it before - basically along the coastal path - maiinly cliff tops etc
  • Hi Boyddie

(an't believe you've never heard of fet(heveryone.(om, you should take a look, I defy any runner not to like it.

As for the route the one that i've got there at the mo is just a rough one, I'm trying to do my long Sunday morning runs along the route and transfer it through garmin (onne(t to make it a bit more a((urate, not really ne(essary I know but hey! got to have something to do to pass the timeimage.

(heers

Phil

• New a chap whose keyboard always played up - used the q when the g stopped working.
  • http://www.mapmyrun.com/user/449126435545040909/coastersgb

trying to get all the maps in one place.

username: coastersgb@hotmail.com - pm me for password. ty.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/minehead-burnham/288126454263754138
    minehead-burnham added - sorry about all the duplication, someone somewhere asked if all the maps could not be collected in one place that's all.