Coasting Round Britain - Plymouth to Bristol

Comments

• Hi smurf,

Yeah! I had to improvise somehow, i'll probably use the number 2 for the last letter of the alphabet as well until I get paid and get a new keyboard.

Good idea BM, when I've (ompleted the route on my long runs I'll update the map a((ordingly. And I'll have a better idea of how long it'll take.

• If you were really good you'd manage to use alternative words that do not need the letter c image
  • Coasters? Coasting? Cornwall? Clovelly? .com .co.uk

There's only a certain amount of time in the day.

• Thanks BM, my thoughts exactly, it's abit difficult when your user name  on a lot of sites include the letter Z, and your email address ends in .com, but as this message shows it's sorted now
  • Have run a bit of my route this week on the way to work.  A very slippy and muddy few miles but nice and flat.  Went from St. Austell to Par (about 4 miles worth in the wrong direction).

Hoping to head from St. Austell to Mevagissey later today.  Had planned on an early run but light wasn't good early enough.

• I did 16 miles of my route this weekend. Not the most challenging part of the uk's coastline (possibly flat enough to qualify as Norfolk) but a real sense of achievement when I got under the Severn Bridge which had seemed so far away at the start!
  • Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays) 12.1 2hrs
    Fowey - St Austell Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Mawes - Falmouth MC2 43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard MC2 33.3
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Just - St Ives 40 - Andrew Ives (10 hours)
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Newquay - Padstow 24 - Possibly PaulS4 + fraggle too if weekend/hols
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4 (4-5hours)
    Tintagel - Bude 21.3 - Andrew Ives (5 hours)
    Bude - Clovelly 24.90 - Boyddie (half day)
    Clovelly - Bideford 27 - Boyddie (full day)
    Bideford - Croyde 20 - Boyddie (3-4hours)
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 14.21 - Wrinkly (2-3 hours)
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19 - Caramel
    Lynton - Minehead 21.5 Senor Spam, DuracelDeb
    Minehead - Burnham OS 50 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.
    Burnham OS - Weston-Super-Mare 13 Mike352
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon Mike352
    Clevedon - Bristol 24 Stephen NR (4 hours)
    Floater Joddly

Floater Ian AKA Honey Monster.
  • Nice Stephen, i've not ran that far in one go yet, should really get back in Training now i've completed Tough Guy, but came down with a nasty cold straight after and i cant seem to shift it so training had been way down in the last 2 weeks!

Did you run the 16miles up the coast and get a lift or use public transport on the way back? Sounds like you have a fairly easy yet enjoyable section! How long did it take you to do the 16 miles?
  • Just found out about a 20mile  run/race organised by Sidmouth Running Club.  Called the Exe to Axe, the race takes place on 4th April and follows the coast path from Exe to Axe!

Not quite within our boundaries but may be of interest to some of you and would be good coastal training. 

• I'm using it as my, long run, training for London and yes I get a lift back after a couple of reviving pints in Aust.The 16 was about 2.20, I added another 2 miles this weekend in 2.35 but the best bit was the additional miles got me to the middle of the old Severn Bridge. Outstanding! Great view and the height above the water is incredible. It was tempting to carry on going but couldn't face having to run back up the slope to the middle of the bridge again. Sad/glad to say the Severn bridge and the bridge at Avonmouth I have to cross are the only "hills" on the entire route.
  • Mike
    can we agree on Clevedon pier as the handover point?
  • Can I register interest please? I will be in Redruth Cornwall in the summer and may be able to help out somewhere on the Cornish coast. Sorry I don't know the area yet as I don't move there till mid April .....

• Hi Alison, extras will definitely be needed on the St Ives to Newquay stretch if the dates fit for you.
  • Sounds great looks a lovely area might be hilly tho lol - the dates should be fine - i start mid april and am there till sept - just the times i am not sure of yet but i guess will know more when I get there.  Might be a good opportunity to meet fellow runners too as I will no NOBODY!  Also, my job is working on a campsite so maybe if we got vacancies and people need to camp that might help? image
  • Sounds great looks a lovely area might be hilly tho lol - the dates should be fine - i start mid april and am there till sept - just the times i am not sure of yet but i guess will know more when I get there.  Might be a good opportunity to meet fellow runners too as I will know NOBODY! Also, my job is working on a campsite so maybe if we got vacancies and people need to camp that might help?
  • If you're based in Redruth and fancy heding along to a running club Hayle runners are very good and socialable.

Not my club but certainly one I'd be at if I lived further West.

• HI Pies and Salad

Thanks for the recommendation I will google them now image

Cheers

• Hi everyone!

We now have a grand total of 378 Coasters who have signed up or expressed interest so far imageimageimage

We need to make sure each and every one has been happily plopped into a stretch and leg, so I'd like to send the relevant list to each stretch co-ord so we can compare and start working on getting all the contact info etc up to date.

Could you let me know who the co-ord for this stretch is please and PM me a contact email?

Many thanks image

• Boyddie (you've been doing most of the co-ord work did you volunteer?) - K4T and I are doing a bit of legwork to help the co-ordinators (K4T is doing the legwork I'm claiming the glory - just don't tell her OK image ).

We're trying to get a list of all of the co-ordinators so we can help you link with the other co-ordinators either side of your section, and if necessary help if you've got problems.  Once we've got all of the co-ordinators contact details we'll send out some ideas we've had.

Some of the thoughts from other threads are

• Try not to book a day  off work until preceding 2 stretches have firm schedules
    • After an overnight stay Barry must resume his venture from the very spot he left off the day before
    • Barry can be kept by the runner of the day before or the first runner of the next day or a custodian who is responsible for ensuring Barry re-starts where he left off
    • Co-ordinators to have next/preceding co-ordinator contact details
    • Co-ordinators to have contact numbers of all coasters in their stretch
    • An agreed method of updating where Barry is at the end of each day/week (bearing in mind some coasters will be running while on holiday so no website access)
    • ensure new sign-ups are welcomed and found a leg to join (may come from Coasters website or RW)
    • try to get even an approximate map done for each leg
    • ensure handover points are agreed (some threads have taken photos of changeover spot)
  • I think I am coordinating the St Ives to Newquay stretch. I am away a bit assisting with Duke of Edinburgh route supervision during the summer so dates might be an issue. I can get everything in place though.

Potential handover sites St Ives- Tate Gallery or the Lifeboat Station, both are set just above a beach and not far from the coastal path.

The 43 miles, I'll try and use 'fetcheveryone'

Hand over in Newquay - Given the probable time of year - I think we'll need to hand over away from the town beaches and either make the handover at Crantock - Pentire (perhaps creatively getting 'Barry' across the deep and narrow Gannel to avoid an inland detour) or at the other end of Newquay (Watergate Bay) perhaps.
  • A nice changeover in Newquay could be the building on the headland between Fistral and Newquay.

Just a thought.
  • Sharon, the lifeboat station in St Ives will be just fine for me to hand over Barry. I'm not local to St Ives but I do remember the lifeboat station from my hols. I know times may have to be flexible because of the distance Barry has to travel, do you know what dates you are busy?

Andy 

• Hi MC 2, are you local to St Just? I'm not but I've been looking at maps and things, the Cape cornwall car park looks good for you to hand over Barry, what do you think?

Andy

• We've been pretty settled for a while on this strech, can we add the handover points to the legs now please

Cheers

Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon Mike352 Handover Clevedon Pier
    Clevedon - Bristol 24 Stephen NR (4 hours) Handover Middle of the Old Severn Bridge (southside)
    Floater Joddly

• Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols, St Ives handover - Lifeboat station.
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon Mike352 Handover Clevedon Pier
    Clevedon - Bristol 24 Stephen NR (4 hours) Handover Middle of the Old Severn Bridge (southside)
    Floater Joddly

• Hi Andrew, handover at St Ives Lifeboat station it is then. Dates wise, I don't think we'll have much of an idea until 'Barry' gets to Poole and then clearly the nearer it gets, the better idea we'll have. Most of my commitments are completed by the middle of August. In any case, I have a number of people interested so definitely someone will be able to make the handover point. You are presumably hoping that the dates will coincide with a holiday are you?

Do you know that section of coastline? The section from Pendeen to St Ives is very, very challenging along the coastal path. Do you have someone running with you?
  • Sharon, it's not a problem if Barry hasn't arrived during a holiday, I'm quite flexible. No I don't know the coast path and I had wondered why there were no other volunteers for that leg. Can I stil use the coast path or would you advise moving slightly inland for safety? I'm trying to get one of my running pals to come along too. How well do you know your leg?

Andy

• I think if you are running alone, I'd definitely move a bit in land. If you have company - so long as you don't mind heights probably ok. I know bits of my 43 miles very well, and some of it less so, but as a relatively local person, the Pendeen to St Ives stretch of the coastline is well known for it's difficulty. I walked it last year, and although I'm probably not the bravest, some of it was more like climbing than walking!

I'll try and check out the Zennor area too if I get a chance, there was considerable flood damage in that area during the winter of 2008/9 and certainly last summer there was a significant diversion of the coastal path in place, for safety reasons.

Nearer the time, if it turns out you are running alone, I think we'll have to try and sort out a buddy to run with you. Not me, I'm very slow, but I know a fair number of runners of varying abilities so I expect we can match your pace with someone.

• Sharon, I just followed the coast path on Google earth with a 3D look at it and I see what you mean, fairly tough going to say the least! I should be able to get a runner to pair up with me, but if anybody else is up for it then they're very welcome, thats what coasting is all about.

Andy