Coasting Round Britain - Plymouth to Bristol

12345679»

Comments

• great mmimage You are coasters heroimage

meanwhile please leave contact details for Stephen!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

• As we haven't been able to get hold of Mike 352 for a while I'm thinking of breaking the Burnham/Weston Super Mare and Weston Super Mare to Clevedon in the following legs

Burnham - Brean 5m
    Brean - Brean Down - 4m
    Brean Down - Weston Super Mare 5 m
    Weston Super Mare - Sand Point 4 m
    Sand Point - Wick St Lawrence 5 m
    Wick St Lawrence - Clevedon 6m

Any one know the area better than me fancy commenting?

Also Boyddies legs changing to
    Bude - Coombe 4m
    Coombe - Monwestow 3m
    Monwestow - Southhole 5m
    Southhole - Tichberry 6m
    Tichberry - Clovelly - 6m
    Clovelly - Peppercombe - 5m
    Peppercombe - Westward Ho - 6m
    Westward Ho - West Yelland 6m
    West Yelland - Banstable 4m
    Barnstable - Braunton 5m
    Braunton - Croyde 5m

I don't know this are particularly well, so anyone with local knowledge want to comment? I seem to have accumulated less miles than Boyddie - have I steered across unaccessible roads?
  • Stephen, can you send me a list of all the legs in your new section Bideford - Bristol.

I've split the other 2 new sections up into rough 10 mile legs (all subject to change once we get runners on them but they'll give a good rough first cut) , but as you seem to be way ahead then if you can let me have your legs for that stretch it will save me a lot of google mapping time.

Ta

Then as soon as we can get the new threads sorted I'll finalise the split on the website

• could I just give a cautionary note here about divisions. Costers is open to anyone and if "legs" are too big it may put people off if,say , they can only do 5 miles. If we start getting "exclusive" I for one would detatch myself from the event. Reme,ber how we started and the principles we follow.
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to get worried about my stretch (the first one) as I live hundreds of miles away and have been hoping it will coincide with my planned holiday. It still looks OK, but is there back-up for this leg?
  • Stu, Bruce

I hear you loud and clear, certainly since breaking my own 22 mile leg into several 3 to 6 mile mini legs I've had far more interest and offers of company. (in contrast I now have 4 people who want to do the full 22 miles with me!)

I've tried to stick to a max of 6 miles when breaking other legs up and shall continue on this theme. But I think a mix is good, a few longer legs can work where we have committed runners. Diversity is the thing, good name for a group that.

I'd like 24 hours before sending Bruce my list as I'm not that familiar with the bude/croyde bit, I've spent some time on google maps tonight but am curious that I've come up with significantly less milage than Boyddie did, I suspect he knew the area better than I.

Stu the local radio breakfast presenter was chatting about using running for relaxing this morning. I've sent her an invite!
  • great stuff Sephen,

we have got to be inclusive. One runner cannot be precious over a stretch as I am sure you know.

Would be great to get radio on boardimage

• Stephen, I live in Weston super Mare but I'm running the St just to St Ives and theTintagel to Bude Legs, this is not as daft as it seems.It looks like I'm away working when Barry comes through my area so I chose Cornwall for my part in this fantastic slice of history! A good way to spend a holiday and run somewhere new ,the 60 ish miles in total for me is fine ,I'm running the Grand Union Canal 145 mile this weekend. I have a running partner for Cornwall, his name is John Alford. Stephen, can you add him to the list along side my name ?, thanks.

Burnham to Brean is a straight run along the beach.

Brean to Brean Down is also a beach / footpath run-but there is no point in going too far unless the ferry is running and that can only run at high tide if at all. I will try to find out more. otherwise it will be along a winding road from Brean to the A370 Weston road.

Brean to Weston will be along the side of the A370 to the sea front (if no ferry)

Weston to Sand point is follow sea front along to Toll road and on to Sand Bay. Running around Sand Point may be a waste of time as I don't think you can cross the river Banwell .

It may be best to go Sand Bay, Kewstoke, Ebdon and on in to Wick St Lawrence.

I'm not sure about Wick to Clevedon, I know the road route but I have a feeling theres a route along the coast, a flood defence, Google Earth may be worth a visit.

I hope this info helps,

Andy   

• Hi Joddly

can you pm you details please. Necessarily Evil is also listed but I've not got details yet. I'll have a look for running clubs in the area. I'm working on the huge assumption that any area close to a city is going to be easy to fill. If you can get there I expect you'll be beating them off with a..a.. well barry really.

Please be nice this is an inclusive event!
  • My mini legs

Clevedon Pier to Portishead (Black Nore Point) 4 miles. Coast trail. Nice run in good weather, bit of an ice rink in the wet, The deep water channel is close to land bringing huge bulk carriers close impressively close. Start from the finest Victorian pier in the country and finish at the landmark lighthouse at Black Nore point in Portishead. A few undulating features but mainly easy terrain and flat. The view across the water at the start is Cardiff and you can easily make out millenium stadium in good weather. Finish with a nice shot of the Severn Bridges.

Portishead (Black Nore Point) to Portishead Marina 3 miles. Probably the nicest section. Flat coast path pastthe golf club and common ground, across the promenade at lake grounds, battery point, and the length of the marina to finish, marvellous.

Portishead Marina to Avonmouth Bridge. 3 miles. OK this one finishes alongside the M5, its a hard sell, but easy flat running (apart from the bridge at the end). You start at the end of the marina, through portbury nature reserve and sheepway, past the car lots at portbury docks (groan) but its all worth it to get up on Avonmouth bridge where the views along the Avon towards Pill, and the other way across to Wales are worth it.

Avonmouth Bridge to Severn Beach. 6 Miles. Mmmm the last section was a hard sell, but for this one I know I'm on my own. There are 2 good points - its flat and along the whole section you're looking toward the Severn Bridges a view I'll never tire of. Most of the run is through Avonmouth docks, it's industrial, it ain't pretty, but you cross along to the Severn Way and out on to the coast again for the last bit.

Severn Beach to Wales. 6 Miles. Think running between Icons, think most memorable run you'll do, think photo opportunity. You start at Severn Beach under the new Severn crossing, run along the coast path and up and over the old Severn bridge - last time I ran this I saw numerous wetland birds including little Egret & Heron and a few raptors Buzzard (loads) & a sparrowhawk. Half way along the bridge and we handover to Hanneke on the Welsh border.

I'm possibly over selling this leg as it covers miles 16 to 22 and I may need a couple of coasters to carry me the last bit!

Anyway have you run your leg before, tell us about it!

Try this out. Not deliberatly trying to wind Hoose up but surely the photo section of the coastersgb site is for celebrating achievement! These photos are trying to drag a few more people on to these legs.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/sredir?uname=Runningreid01&target=ALBUM&id=5475689319086946033&authkey=Gv1sRgCI6qmOXkwvyiTw&feat=email
  • nice idea Stephen. Although i need access to all photos for media usage and book, the website presentation is down to our Bruce who knows about puters.image
  • Evening all..

Stu, have just sent you a message.

Whoever needs to know, I am in Cornwall and could potentially do something on the North or South Coast..

Bear in mind that Penzance around the coast to St Ives is EXTREMELY undulating!!! image

I have also co-erced the editor of the local paper to join me! (I work for them!)

• lovely to see you with us Tiggsimage
  • Thanks Tiggers,

welcome aboard!

Guys I'm had som technical difficulties tonight. My router died RIP

Got another but taken hours to sort out

I'm going to be offline for the next 9 days, Bruce I'll try and get on tomorrow night and send an updated plan incorporating Andrew's comments. Thanks Andrew.

Coasters unite! pm me your contact details please!!!

• Thanks Stephen, haven't had chance to do much Coasters stuff today unfortunately but will try and finish off the split tomorrowover the weekend.

• Is the divide still on?

If we do not hear from RW towers, shall we just create 2 or 3 new threads, plopping appropriate runners on em? May mean a lot of messaging thoughimage

• yes the divide is still on and will make it official over the weekend as I'm sure that RW will come up trumps for us by then (@RW HINT HINT!!!) ...have popped a message on the web bugs forum too detailing exactly what we need and it shouldn't be too difficult for people of their calibre (@RW HINT HINT!!!)

if not then we'll just start the 2 other threads and have to just manage it which will be a real pain (@RW - HINT HINT) but I'm sure it won't come to that though as I'm sure the top chaps at RW will come up trumps for us (@RW - HINT HINT)

(d'ya think thats enough hints)

• Bruce - www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

yes the divide is still on and will make it official over the weekend as I'm sure that RW will come up trumps for us by then (@RW HINT HINT!!!) ... if not then we'll just start the 2 other threads and have to just manage it which will be a real pain (@RW - HINT HINT) but I'm sure it won't come to that though as I'm sure the top chaps at RW will come up trumps for us (@RW - HINT HINT)

(d'ya think thats enough hints)

now it should do itimage
  • Bruce - I'm sure you will have done enough.  Catherine was always very helpful when ever I asked to make some modifications.
  • Lots going on here re dividing stretches so I won't interfere too much. I would just ask all Coasters to forward all details of the legs with runners names/leg/distance and map urls to coastersgb@hotmail.co.uk as they are finalised. The aim is to create a central reference of maps that all coasters can refer to. Someday someone might ask "Which way did he go then"? Embarrassing if we couldn't tell them!! Thank you.
  • Still having lots of technical trouble, I'm sitting next door on their computer typing this. Sorry not going to be able to check the maps to be confident enough to incorporate Andrews views until I come back from holls.

Don't worry Hoose - still plenty of time to sort this leg(s) out. I've a back up plan for when i'm back and contacts at running clubs too.

Keep blackey in the back pocket for now please!

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

lol -only joking Stephen-you are all doing very well

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/thumbnail.jpg

• New threads have now been started for the split:

Plymouth - Lands End

Lands End - Bideford

Bideford - Bristol

Please start using the appropriate thread.

Many thanks.

• PAY ATTENTION TO ABOVE POST 
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

• Alison Anstee, and any other St Ives to Newquay potential runners.

I think I've now set my details to allow others to message me; I'd like to start putting various people in contact with one another regarding handovers between St Ives and Newquay. Presently 'Barry' will be handed over from the previous leg at St Ives Lifeboat station.

Providing the 'message me' bit has worked you can send me a message with your contact details.

• Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

PAY ATTENTION TO  POST BELOW 

Bruce - www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

New threads have now been started for the split:

Plymouth - Lands End

Lands End - Bideford

Bideford - Bristol

Please start using the appropriate thread.

Many thanks.