Coasting Round Britain: Aberystwyth to Fflint

Comments

• great news Bruce. Best if you get them to use the thread so we know what is happening

• Sorry folks been a bit quiet as boys have the pox...... chicken that is not small.....

Anyway- like the idea of using the bridge- perhaps I could run to the bridge & get some friendly railway chap from the station to carry barry  across for me (while I quickly drive around) & if there is no friendly chap there I'll nip across without anyone seeing!!!!!! 

• http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/6/8/4/5684.1154354400.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/2/1/9/1219.1124809200.jpg

I think Arriva Trains Wales are the operator.

Looking at the river I'd swim it. If you go back down stream the river a mile or two it still looks swimmable.

• Flaming heck Marshy- I know I have done a triathlon before but it was only a baby one image

Sounds good though & seriously I am happy to swim across if there was a obvious path to & from the crossing to get back to route. Couldn't I just swim the estuary which wuld save the most miles & bring me nicely to an obvious transition point? Or are estuaries tidal / not good idea?

• Just looking at the timings and as we're next to last if the legs before us go a bit slower we may be in luck and be able to skate over image

I'll try Arriva a bit later to see what tehy say about giving us safe passage over the bridge. (They can only say No!) .

• Lol Bruceimage

If you are going to swim the Dyfi you may as well swim the estuary, I'd imagine it would be tidal and a bit more dangerous and if the tide is in it could be over 1km (compared to a 80-100m crossing upstream),  I'd need to see it first hand before I'd commit to swimming it.     In this pic it's about 400m from the sandbank to the beach ( 8-10 mins swim depending on currents?)
    http://static.zooomr.com/images/3037533_4f2428c0ff_b.jpg

As the section stands you have runners from

Camlo -Aber - Borth or Ynyslas or Machynllyth?image

Waylander - Tywyn - Harlech image

So it is just the river crossing and the short trip to Tywyn to sort for the early part, it's either the long railway brigde way or very long road way or short the wet way.

Then we need the LlÅ·n Peninsula - Harlech to Llanfairfechan - section filling (100 miles?)

(i'd consider swimming the estuary then running to Tywyn and then doing another section from Harlech later in the day, if it all logistically fitted together?)

• I'll ask our club members if anyone else fancies joining me. image

• Yeah the Llyn is the last remaining bit (depending upon inclusion of Anglesey), but I'm kinda hoping that we may be able to persuade Eryri Harriers to pick up the Llyn as sort of a do-it-in-one-go club type of challenge (10 runners doing 10 miles each they could easy sort that out I reckon!!), but haven't heard back from them yet, so will try giving them another nudge

• Igreat stuff Camlo. I would urge all to keep close contact with their membersimage
  • still awaiting a reply from Arriva on the bridges, however Eryri Harriers have responded and asked for more details so will send some over and hope we can get some of them involved.

Bringing back an old point - Angelesey (if we're going to be using it as a jumping off point for Northern Ireland we're gonna have to run the island too!!) so I kind of cheekily put a challenge out to the Eryri newsletter editor to see if they would be interested in Running Anglesey In A Day as a group, she was going to float the idea and get back to me. Will be good if they agree, as then even if we don't do Anglesey we can just shift their 1 day over to the Llyn instead and that would be us sorted !!

• Hi Bruce. We are not gonna include NI now. Felt it best to decide now.
  • Finally had an email response from Arriva on using the rail bridges.
  • <Oops didn't mean to hit post so soon on last message>

As I was saying before my dodgy enter key rudely interrupted ... just had an email response from Arriva on using the rail bridges ... it reads .... Sorry for the delay in responding to your request, it is being looked at and we will respond further in the next 10 days. .......

Maybe they've got the wrong kind of snow in their email system!!!!!!!

• emailed the secretary of Aber running club a few days ago- hoped we'd see something from them on here...
  • who is co-ordinator of this stretch? Could they identify themselves by placing name by link on main thread?

ta

• Eryri Harriers have come back and are going to discuss what they can do in their next meeting which I believe is next week.

So hopefully we'll have some new recruits coming along shortly .

• Hi,

Have just picked up this thread, fantastic idea...Relativley new to this running lark..Only started in the last 12 months, running about 20 miles a week.(depending on work comittments) Can do 10 mile bits in one go and willing to be part of this, if you'll have me that is??

Live in South Gwynedd, can participate in  the LLyn bit...or any bit on Anglesey if there's a shortage. Willing to travel to link up in that area and have plenty of room for overnighters if required!

Just keep me in the know as I would have to arrange time off work etc.

Is this being run for a charity? image

• Hi Welshtottie and welcome- somone will plop you on an appropriate spotimage

I think Bruce is thread/stretch co-ordinator

• Hi Welshtottie - great to have you on board- sure Bruce & Marshy will sort you out a nice stretch.

Nothing from Aber club yet?

• Hi Welshtottie, sorry for the delay, welcome aboard ... the legs we've got mapped out so far look as :

Aberystwyth - Borth 7
    Borth - Tywyn ?
    Tywyn - Harlech 20
    Harlech - Porthmadog 10
    Porthmadog - Pwllheli 14
    Pwllheli - Abersoch 
    Abersoch - Rhiw 14
    Rhiw - Aberdaron 5
    Aberdaron - Morfa 7
    Morfa - Morfa Nefyn 10
    Morfa Nefyn - Trefor 10
    Trefor - Morfa Lodge 13
    Morfa Lodge - Caernarfon 8
    Caernarfon - Bangor Uni 9
    Bangor Uni - Llanfairfechan 
    Llanfairfechan - Llandudno 15
    Lllandudno - Kinmel Bay 20
    Kinmel Bay - Prestatyn 10
    Prestatyn - Flint 14

We've got runners covering the legs from Aber - Harlech and then from Llanfairfechan to Flint, but if you fancy running one of these then feel free to double up, but we'd obviously like to get the other legs filled too.

Also feel free to amend a leg to a distance you'd like too we can easy re-jig to accomodate.

B.

• Hi Bruce,

Thanks

Looks as though things are moving on well.  Slot me in for the Harlech -Porthmadog bit, not that confident running with somone else, not developed a running pace as yet. So will be able to do the 10 miles as long as its not to a set time.image

Will chase round to see if I can find some other running pals interested in joining in,

• excellent, thanks.... I'm hoping to have a harvest of all volunteers to date over the weekend and update the site accordingly so consider yourself booked in for Harlech - Porthmadog (was actually eyeing that leg up myself, as for some strange reason I've always fancied running along the estuary bridge thing with the railway!).

• Current standings for our sector are :

Aberystwyth - Borth                -      Camlo
    Borth - Tywyn                           -     Camlo
    Tywyn - Harlech                     -       Waylander
    Harlech - Porthmadog         -       Welshtottie
    Porthmadog - Pwllheli 14
    Pwllheli - Abersoch
    Abersoch - Rhiw 14
    Rhiw - Aberdaron 5
    Aberdaron - Morfa 7
    Morfa - Morfa Nefyn 10
    Morfa Nefyn - Trefor 10
    Trefor - Morfa Lodge 13
    Morfa Lodge - Caernarfon 8
    Caernarfon - Bangor Uni 9
    Bangor Uni - Llanfairfechan  
    Llanfairfechan - Llandudno    -        Marshalini
    Lllandudno - Kinmel Bay        -        FlipflopMan
    Kinmel Bay - Prestatyn           -        FCStoke
    Prestatyn - Flint                        -        Bruce , panad

Anyone I've missed ? or indeed anyother takers ?

• Why have we got so many gaps?????? Come on folks!! image
  • oily days Camloimage

gonna be a bit, too when it gets to you. By then all of us would make sure it gets doneimage

you have to spread the word.

• yeah still plenty of time, but wouldn't harm to get a few more filled in .... haven't heard back from Eryri again recently as tehy were discussing at their last meeting (which I think was last week) so will give them another prod !

I think as we get closer to the day, and we start to go for National publicity (which we should easily get) then I think we'll be inundated !

• OK, just had my snow delayed response from Arriva trains regarding using the bridges, I attach their response for your persual (please bear in mind this has taken them over 2 weeks to formulate) :

Dear Mr Clapton

Thank you for contacting us about the proposed North Wales relay which would involve briefly crossing over railway lines.

Unfortunately, the matter falls outside our area of jurisdiction and is the responsibility Network Rail.

We have therefore forwarded your correspondence to their Customer Care Team and they will respond to you as soon as possible.

• Marsh - do you have gpx or tcx files of the bikehike routes that you created?
  • Hello bikermouse, I don't have gpx or tcx files and at the moment I've no pc at all (I'm in a library), so I can't help, Sorry.
  • OK - I've asked bikehike if they can provide them - I'll let you know.