Coasting Round Britain: Aberystwyth to Fflint

Comments

• I am seriously behind the times with what's going on as I've no pc (I'm in the library at the mo),

Anyway. I was planning to start running again on the first of March, having given my foot/ankle/ligament plenty of time to heal and things were looking good as of yesterday morning, but during a walk last night in the dark I tripped on something and it's snapped again. I've been hobbling round all day and as it stands at the moment I doubt very much that I'll be running again in two weeks, I've already missed 4 months+ of running and this is going to be at least another month on top of that (probably 2) .

I've pulled out of an early leg I'd said I'd run, but I am still hopefull things will be ok by the time Barry gets this far round the coast.

But it would be wise/sensible if alternative arangements were made for any sections I'd said I'd run, just in case things don't improve.

Sorryimage

• Aw man ... sorry to hear that Marsh, real tough news, lets hope the recovery is good, and you're right you've still got 6+ months I reckon before Barry gets round to us so you should be back up and raring to go by then. Fingers crossed !

Also a quick update on this leg, been in touch with the Eryri again and they are interested in helping out so just discussing now how they're going to do it, so hopefully we should have a bit more coverage coming along soon.

• Eek Marsh, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully only a minor setback. Will keep my fingers crossed.
  • Marshy- I'm out with whats commonly known as a 'knackered knee' so will be joining you for the slowest paced leg award.
  • I'm happy to slot in anywhere really, though I'd quite fancy running the Porthmadog to Pwllheli leg, and on to Abersoch too, or am I being greedy there and pushing someone elses nose out of joint?
  • Rob, now don't take this the wrong way, but you're not called Sandra at weekends are you ? imageimage

Sorry,its just about an hour or so ago this evening we've just had a contact email through the webby from Sandra asking to run the Porthmadog - Pwllheli leg !!! (how spooky!!)

So would be no problem doubling up for the first bit of Porthmadog - Abersoch with Sandra, unless you want to take Pwllhelli as your start and move the 14 miler to the other side of Abersoch and take the leg to Rhiw aswell ?

• Yeah Abersoch to Rhiw sounds like a good idea, happy to do that.

Being "Sandra" on the weekends? Not sure I've got the legs for that image.

• Excellent thanks Rob, I'll pop you on, and welcome aboard !!

• Hi

Only just seen this through the RW e-mail. I live between Bangor and Caernarfon and am happy to pick up any Llyn or Anglesey leg. Husband, sister and brother in law are all also keen runners, so you can probably assume 4 volunteers, providing runs are on the weekend (work / family commitments). We are all marathon runners so could do up to 20 miles, although shorter would of course be preferred!

Sian

• Hi Sian, Welcome aboard the good ship CoastersGB.

Have you had a look at the Coasters website (www.coastersgb.co.uk) and the legs for our section? Just pick which one(s) think would suit you guys best and let us know and we'll pop you down. (Or even let us know how you'd want the legs changing if that suits you best - we're as fluid as you want on all this.

Unfortunately we can't guarantee when Barry will get round to us, circa late September is our best guess at the moment but can firm things up closer to the time to try and accomodate all runners while still getting Barry round Gods country.

• Have had a look at the web site and pleased to see that we've got our pick of all the legs near us! I don't suppose you have maps or approx Grid References of the start and end points of the Llyn / Caernarfon legs do you? I'm a bit confused as to where exactly some of the places are, even though I'm a local!

Thanks

• Sorry the Llyn legs were just a poor attempt by me using Google maps and trying to split the coastline into manageable chunks just to give us an idea of the legs, therefore some of the startfinishes may be nothing more than single dwellings but they had a name on Google maps so they became a handover (being from over Wrexham way I'm not totally au fait with the in depth locale so had to rely on t'net).

As I say the only thing we want is to follow the coastline as closely as is safely and prudently possible so feel free to suggest differences to the legs start stop points on the site, and we'll get them changed to fit with you guys. (thats the benefit of bein an early sign up, you get to choose the legs!).

B.

• Taken my time to get back (i was down with flu when i last posted, and had nearly a month off with it!) - would be interested in bit between Dinas Dinlle and Caernarfon / Felinheli (all bits i run and know well - all off main roads as well, so a high survival rate!

I actually ran to Morfa Lodge today, but i'd like to start a bit before that as the best run in that bit is the dune run to fort belan (and usually back again as the road is gated the other end).

As the dates look to be somewhere beyond August, then i'll be fine to take time off if needed for this.

The section from the Chippy (carb loading image ) in Dinas Dinlle (SH 436 565) to Belan Point, and then via back roads sticking as close as possible to the coast is 20km - which is a distance i'd be happy to commit to. Then i'd fancy carrying on with the next person to Felinheli or Bangor, but wouldn't like to commit to that just yet. If it happened to fall at the end of one day and the start of the next, then i'd go further.
  • Hi everyone!

We now have a grand total of 378 Coasters who have signed up or expressed interest so far imageimageimage

We need to make sure each and every one has been happily plopped into a stretch and leg, so I'd like to send the relevant list to each stretch co-ord so we can compare and start working on getting all the contact info etc up to date.

Could you let me know who the co-ord for this stretch is please and PM me a contact email?

Many thanks image

• Bruce - K4T and I are doing a bit of legwork to help the co-ordinators (K4T is doing the legwork I'm claiming the glory - just don't tell her OK image ).

We're trying to get a list of all of the co-ordinators so we can help you link with the other co-ordinators either side of your section, and if necessary help if you've got problems.  Once we've got all of the co-ordinators contact details we'll send out some ideas we've had.

Some of the thoughts from other threads are

• Try not to book a day  off work until preceding 2 stretches have firm schedules
    • After an overnight stay Barry must resume his venture from the very spot he left off the day before
    • Barry can be kept by the runner of the day before or the first runner of the next day or a custodian who is responsible for ensuring Barry re-starts where he left off
    • Co-ordinators to have next/preceding co-ordinator contact details
    • Co-ordinators to have contact numbers of all coasters in their stretch
    • An agreed method of updating where Barry is at the end of each day/week (bearing in mind some coasters will be running while on holiday so no website access)
    • ensure new sign-ups are welcomed and found a leg to join (may come from Coasters website or RW)
    • try to get even an approximate map done for each leg
    • ensure handover points are agreed (some threads have taken photos of changeover spot)
  • I'm Sian Williams 4's sister! fancy doing Caernarfon to bangor, just because it's closest to where I live. Any objections?!! think this is the best idea. I'm just going to tell non-running folk that I'm doing the whole lot!!

Gwen

• Hi Gwen, welcome aboard! I don't think you'll be the only Coaster telling people they've run the whole lot! image Can't see any problems with you running that leg, we'll add you to the list image
  • Sounds fab! Keep me posted. Thanks.xx (I'll have another panad now image)
  • Hmmmm- I'm still on my own from Aber to blimmin far far away.....

Knee had some serious poking & prodding today so should be OK but if not I'm planning on swimming the estuary (or waterskiing, jogging on a boat?)

• Camlo, we'll sort you a rubber ring to help with the estuary !

Hope your knee is good soon (suffering something similar) , are you doing VLM too ?

• Several Coasters had asked about T-Shirts.  We were initially going to make shirts available for order, but instead we have produced two images which you can download and iron on to your own shirts, scarves etc.  All you have to do is buy some “Transfer Paper” appropriate for your printer.  Buy the correct paper as you get it for Laser Printers and different paper for Inkjet Printers – otherwise it’s just the same as printing a picture.  You will find a reversed image and a normal image depending upon which version you need for the paper that you buy.  We hope to make more images available in due course which will have all the runners (Forum) names on it too.

CoastersGB Images http://www.coastersgb.co.uk/downloads.php

I know some of us will be wearing the logo at the London Marathon (VLM) in two weeks time.  I shall have mine as a large patch on my running club vest.

• Hi Bruce- I AM doing VLM although it may be a run/walk/run/walk/ hobble. I did manage a good 1hr 20 run on Sunday & going to try a massive 7 miles tonight!!

Really hope the Scottish legs get sorted soon or we won't even get to do our bit image

• Barry is going on the 9th whatever-so they will have to be readyimage

Camlo -as Barry is heading your end we will target clubs and radio etc like we have in Scotland. Most Scots stretches are not doing bad at all-just 1 or 2 need a Blakey

• Good !!! Am going to see if I can get the logo on somewhere for next Sunday. After that I'll know whether I can do a long run won't I ??
  • that would be goodimage

here's Barry

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/Copy_of_Barry_Baton4[1].jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/Copy_of_Barry_Baton6[1].jpg

• GREAT NEWS!!

The Legend that is Ron Hill had sent a message for all coasters to the great coaster StephenNR . It will,hopefully be read at the start of the relay but I feel that it should be on here and for ALL OF US . It reads:

"I would like to wish everyone good luck in this daring adventure. A relay around the coast of Britain sounds almost impossible to organize but you will do it. I wish I could be around to run the first leg from Blackpool but sadly I will be out of the country. There will be some tales to tell. Spectacular scenery, good weather, awful weather. But what an achievement when completed. I will join he relay at some stage even if it is the last leg. To everyone - run well.Dr Ron".
  • Thats a fab message- really hope Barry is not too tired before he reaches us. Looking forward to showing him a good time in Borth....
  • Thats a thought ... have we checked if he floats yet ... could be useful for the estuary crossings image