Coasting Round Britain: Aberystwyth to Fflint

Comments

• OK Chaps ... looks like we're good to go on Anglesey.

Tony if you send me over the new leg start and ends I'll put them on the website straight away and we can then look at adding the maps.

Shaun, if you can get Valley involved that would be great, once we get the legs identified I'll re-approach the Eryri harriers again.

• Bruce,

Anglesey now mapped,11 legs about 123 miles. I have followed the coastal path as near as possible but of course runners will need to recce/research/modify/prove their own legs to suit themselves. The handover points are all on metalled road accessible by car and most are on bus routes. Again runners will need to do their own research. The legs are all on MapMyRun.com------ just search for Anglesey Path and they should all come up like ducks in a row. My reward? Please put me down for leg1. I will be away for two days starting tomorrow(thank God I hear you say),and will resolve any problems/queries when I get back. To state the obvious the Anglesey legs cut in at Menai Bridge between Bangor and Caernarfon,

Regards,Tony Hill
  • Bruce, map Menai Bridge/Llanfairfechan is amended. Distance 10.4 miles. Please amend on website. PlEEEEASE put my name on leg Menai Bridge / Newborough, Thanks. Right that's it for two days, Cader Idris here I come !!! Tony
  • Fellow coasters, we need to pitch in and take some of the pressure off Stu before we make him ill, he's trying to do too much.

As well as all the contacting media and publicity stuff, contacting running clubs to drum up more coasters, organizing podcasts, sending thank you emails, collecting names for Roll Of Honour, he's worrying about unfilled and quiet Scottish threads and a hundred other things.

Lots of other people are heavily involved too I know and I'm not asking them to do more - we've all got lives. Maybe some of the runners that have met Barry so far could take on something like thank you emails or have a go at co-ordinating one of the upcoming Scottish stretches such as Ullapool - Durness. If you're running later then please get involved now - there's a lot to be done  to help get Barry as far as you.

Local knowledge is helpful but at the end of the day it can all be done on the forum / by email / phone / text etc with mapmyrun or something.

You're all welcome, as well as needing people to do their bit running, we need help on the organisation as well.

So who's in?

Let us know in the main Coasters thread

• Hi all

I'd love to visit a bit of Welsh coast... ANY ESTIMATE DATES what so ever when this might hit you lot?

I'm running one leg on the east coast around July and then I'm off to Berlin for September Marathon. I just wonder whether I could fit this in.

• TurboElli We think early-mid September but that is a gestimate. Check out the Anglesey Coastal Path website, you won't want to miss it
  • A REMINDER.

Barry is going well and that is a tribute to all Coasters who have contributed so far in any way at all. To keep him going we all need to add our contribution to the great effort that is being made by some Coasters. You need to do three things.

Recruit.
    Think of the difference it would make to Barry's prospects if all Coasters recruited one more runner to the pool we have so far.

Communicate.
    You may feel you have nothing you wish to say at present but the time will come when you will need to speak to someone (believe it or not Barry is inanimate and will not arrive at your handover point by magic). If you haven't already done so introduce yourself to other Coasters on your RW stretch thread and make sure you activate your message member button (click on "my profile" at top right hand corner of any RW forum page and tick the "message me" box when it appears). In that way when someone needs to contact you directly they can so easily.

Map.
    If your name is next to a leg on the main Coasters website then make a map of your route (I use MapMyRun.com) with your preferred map making site and forward the details to your stretch coordinator so that it can published on the Coasters website.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK to all Coasters!!
  • Hi Bruce- knees were better but a bit hurty today!! Glad you put if no crossing 'we' head inland.... nice to know you've already got me a running buddy to make sure Barry behaves!!!

Will have a look at the map my run etc over weekend & attempt to break it down into smaller runs if indeed we do stick to the actual land & don't chuck Barry across the estuary. Have a wedding,  a tri & a half in Sep so Barry will have to be accomodating & may have to trot at a slower pace than he's been used to. 

• The following Coasters need to activate their "message member" buttons(see entry 22/5/10 21:52). At the moment you can contact us but we can't contact you.
    Walk Eryri
    Rob Barber
    Panad
    Gwen Jones
    Sandra 9203

Thanks.
  • Hi Guys - sorry its taken me a while to introduce myself! Hope all is well - Im doing the Bangor  - Llnafairfechan section! x
  • Hi Jessica, No problem, we've still got plenty of time to get to know one another as Barry won't be round our way till September time image.

So will be looking to start ramping things up and issuing your full training schedules around beginning of July, with a view to first training camps taking place in August !

• Hi Jessica, We met the other evening on Menai Bridge. Welcome and may I remind you to switch on your message member button(click on my profile at TOP RIGHT and tick and save "message me" when it appears. Also if you could could drum up any further volunteers for Anglesey I would be grateful. Thanks,Tony
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    when does it reach Anglsey as I am doing the mararthon there and wanted to get a feel of running the island
  • Gestimate is mid september Ash1 but that is very fluid. The route will be roughly the Anglesey Coastal Path, google the website and see what you think. Impossible to be in any way precise about when we will be running hereabouts.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    thanks will have a look
  • Just to let you all know I am off up to Scotland beginning of July to help Barry along.

I am already down to do Tywn to Harlech but can also do a stretch on Anglesey if needed though to my shame don’t know the island so would need some guidance.

• Thanks Waylander, we're planning on a bit of a publicity drive around mid July, a bit early yet as it won't be till September time that we get Barry, and we don't want interest to wain if we have too big a wait. So hopefully that with the ever increasing interest as we move round the coast will see all legs filled without a problem.

LoA has mapped Anglesey out and it follows the Coastal path so it should be one of the easier stretches to follow (I'm thinking of signing up for one too).

Have fun up in Scotland, its going great guns up there. (quite envious actually).

• Hi folks- PLease can I remind everyone that although I'm down for the Aber-Borth & Borth onwards I really don't mind sharing!!!!! September is a busy month & I'd be more than happy to hand Barry over at Borth (or a mutually agreed pub, hehe).

Waylander- make sure Barry isn't getting too much of a scots accent. 

• Good Luck up in Scotland Waylander!! Don't forget to pick a nice leg on Anglesey on your return.
  • Been watching the discussion about getting Barry from Aberwystwyth to Holyhead in six days. Over 200 miles seems very tight. I agree with Two Buffs (co-ord of previous stretch) when he points out that with 1000 miles done Barry has averaged about 25 miles a day. That seems a good figure to me on which to base future predictions of his progress. Of course if that average improves then the estimates could be revised. I for one would be amazed if Aber to Fflint(excluding the time Barry leaves us to sail from Holyhead to Northern Ireland) is completed in a week. 345 miles approx divided by 7 is about 49 miles a day. I would be very interested to hear what my fellow runners on this stretch think about this?
  • Good Morning all Aber - Flint coasters.

With Barry making good progress its probably a good time for us to now start putting some initial timings in place (very initial of course), and just have a quick check roudn to see where we stand.

Tony totally agree that we couldn't do the whole stretch in a week, especially after adding Anglesey has given us an extra 150 miles. Which is why popping over to Norhtern Ireland from Holyhead is a bit of a god send as I see us having 2 weeks to complete the mainland parts now. ie 1 week up to Holyhead, then a week over in Ireland, then another week to go from Holyhead to Flint.

The big problem I see is getting Barry over to Ireland in time for the Causeway Ultra, and I'm not sure whether its achievable to get him up to Holyhead by the Thursday eveningFriday morning, in time to hit the start in Saturday morning. Its soemthing to look at but we have to be pragmatic and if we can't get him there sensibly then we just can't do it. Would be a shame, but c'est la vie.

So, in order to get things moving a bit here can we have a bit of a roll call on who's still about, and your pledges for legs (estimated leg durations would be great tooimage) , then we can build a picture of where we need to get people in.

Thanks guys!

• Dividing this stretch and popping NI stretch in middle is great idea Bruceimage. HOw will you present dates though?

summat like 26th Sept -2nd Oct -(N.Ireland week)- 9th Oct- 16th Oct

Final stretch would be 16-23rd Oct -finishing on a Saturdayimage

• Two weeks total sounds about right Bruce. I think it is too early to tell whether or not we can get Barry to NI by any specific date. We must wait surely to find out how other stretches go(say up to Portsmouth) before we can be surer of our dates/timings. I am good for all the legs I have signed up for so far. I want to run at an inclusive 5mph(slower if need be to accommodate all runners). I also offer to act as an emergency back up man anywhere in our stretch but I am hoping that things will not come to that. We want as many people as possible to take part. Heard anything from Shaun C. with regard to RAF Valley becoming involved?
  • All looks good for my leg in Scotland next week (next Monday all being well).

I am still OK with my commitment to this stretch but if anyone is willing to split it with me so that it is a ten mile stretch then I will also act as back up for any part of the stretch that is not covered on any day and with a days notice.

Camco, don’t worry about Barry’s accent by the time he’s finished I think he will turn to acting. You can see the headlines now “able to pull off any regional accent within the British Isles even if his acting style is a little wooden” sorry it’s Monday!

Anglesey – Let’s get a stake in the ground, name a 10 mile stretch and put my name down for it.

• That's the stuff Waylander. I suggest Four Mile Bridge to Porth Dafarch. Fantastic scenery,much off road and Rhoscolyn Head on your way. You lucky man!! Bruce when you see this post please put Waylander down for the above leg. I hope you enjoy your run out in Scotland as much as I did mine Waylander. Tell us all about it on your return.
  • Thanks Anglesey

Plan to do a cycle route around North Wales over the August bank holiday weekend so will take a detour and have a look at this stretch.

• For anyone considering a run on Anglesey this website has all the info you need including maps and route descriptions.

http://www.visitanglesey.co.uk/anglesey_coastal_path-20.aspx
  • Hi all, I have had to keep the plan to involve RAF Valley on the backburner for a few weeks because we had a station event on where we ran the entire coastal path in 24 hrs - you may have seen it on the news?

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/10383715.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/10383715.stm

Anyway, those that I have mentioned it to are interested so I don't see any problems filling up the legs at all.  When the dust settles from our escapades last week I'll rally the troops for another go!

• Well done to all at RAF Valley.