Coasting Round Britain Northern Ireland

Comments

• Hi guys-
    I'm up on the north coast of NI, so could maybe do something like Castlerock (or further west) to Portrush, or round to Bushmills even. Let me know what's required!
  • great stuff Joeimage I lived in Castlerock for a year as a student. You jammy sod-it is lovely thereimage

Just keep popping in and please let clubmates or running friends know. We like coasters on thread to turn their "message member on" too.

ta

Stu

• HMM -Portrush area

Joe Rocket -Castlerock Portrush 

Jim More

Mark Duffy

Bob

Terry

WR- Anywhere on Antrim coast

Julieflies

• Thanks Stu I was hoping for a flyer type thing for handing out at the meeting.

Hi Joe great to have you on board image

If you use a mapping website like mapmyrun etc you could map out your leg ( the bit you would like to run ) and post the link on here. No worries if not it will get sorted one way or the other.

• dont worry woody. I have maild 1/2 dozen clubs in the region.

We could do a flyer but it is finding a willing and able body to do itimage

yes as woody says , it is useful for runners to map out "safe" routes near the coast. From there w can join the routes and you can co-ord between you. As with all the stretches dates come later on in the process.

May I suggest browsing through completed stretches to see how they evolved.

• as a rough idea of who does what here we are:

THE COASTERS TEAM

Although coastersgb has no boss as such , we have a small team responsible for various tasks to ensure the event’s success.

STU PRINCE

Founder and initiator of the event. Current responsibilities are media communications , promotion, public relations and maintainer of coasters philosophy and aims. Stu acts as mediator in the unlikely event of disputes. Currently working on a coastersgb book

BRUCE CLAPTON

Our genius webmaster, in control of updating and developing the coastersgb website. Responsible for anything website related.

KATHLEEN (K4T)

Kathleen is our co-ordinators co-ordinator and main administrator. Responsible for enquiries and instruction on joining coasters and that co-ordination is carried out smoothly.

MAURICE HEMINGWAY & ALISON CAMERON

Our main support coasters for Scotland. Maurice and Alison step in and advise on co-ordination and planning on Scottish stretches.

MIKE TAYLOR (MIKELFC)

Responsible for collation and distribution of coasters photographs. Supports Bruce in maintaining The Gallery.

MAARIT MEETRI (mm234)

Maarit is responsible for collating coasters reports and sending them to appropriate bodies.

RUNNAHOLIC

Top secret is what she doesimage

• just had a spare bit of time at lunch so had a crack at dividing this up to give people a rough idea of legs. So how do these sound :

Muff - GreySteel                       12.1
    Greysteel - Ballyscullion       12.7
    Ballyscullion - Coleraine       12.7
    Coleraine - Portrush                  7.6
    Portrush - Dunseverick          10.4
    Dunseverick - Ballycastle     10.1
    Ballycastle - Knocknacarry   11.9
    Knocknacarry - Carnlough     13.8
    Carnlough - Larne                     13.3
    Larne - Carrickfergus                13.0
    Carrickfergus - Belfast              11.2
    Belfast - Bangor                          12.8
    Bangor - Donaghadee               7.2
    Donaghadee - Ballywater         7.7
    Ballywater - Cloughey                9.2
    Cloughey - Portaferry                  4.7
    Portaferry - Strangford (ferry)
    Strangford - Ringawaddy          5.5
    Ringawaddy - Ballygilbert        6.5
    Ballygilbert - Newcastle             15.8
    Newcastle - Mullartown                 6.5
    Mullartown - Maghereagh            5.4
    Maghereagh - Killowen                 8.5
    Killowen - Warrenpoint                  4.2
    Warrenpoint - Newry                     7.0

• great Bruce,

Coleraine is slightly off coast but you could change that to Giants Causeway or Castlerock, I guessimage This is why we need local imputimage

• Hey guys,
    You can only get so close to a trail on some the stretches from Derry round to say Limavady. Limavady to Castlerock could be nice but dicey in parts- From Castlerock you'd run into Coleraine along the banks of the river Bann, then thru Coleraine into Portstewart, onto Portrush, Portballintrae then onto Dunseverick. The best (and coolest)handover point is of course the Giants Causeway!
    So, put me down for Castlerock to the ASSI that is the lovely Causeway! I could meet one of the Ballycastle runners there maybe?
  • Great stuff Bruce, how long do you get for lunch? That would take me all afternoon. From Larne to Carrickfergus to follow the coast would technically need to run around Islandmagee, that would add about 18miles onto that leg.

I can run anywhere from Carnlough to Belfast and can do 2 or more stages if need be (work dependent, i don't know if Barry has days off).

It also seems that most people can run Antrim coast so I could run a leg around Bangor/Donaghadee if need be.

Cheers WR

• great stuff here

I guess yoiu guys could work out safest and most practical routes. Yes it can be iffy in some parts. You have to work the nearest to the coast that is practical.

Could you WR and  Joe help organise things a bit? (unless anyone fancies the co-ord job). You can re-hash Bruce's list and plop people on itimage

Interesting Joe . I didn't think you would have to run into Coleraine from Castlerock. Mind, I always got the train. Didn't run them days-lol

• Lol, I often consider the swim across the Bar mouth...
    flickr.com/photos/19239883@N08/2551285672 but have conceded that the bridge is a safer option.....
  • http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/BAZWET.jpg

nowt  in the rules about not swimming, you know?image I do miss it 'round there. When I first went over , I noticed that they had "fresh air" and stuff like that-lol

Barry can float too

• And Barry doesn't mind a day or 2 off although he would prefer to run a bit every day if possible... or float... I hear he loves going on ferries too  image
  • Hmmm, or I do have a 10ft beachcaster.....
    Yup, Castlerock is magnificent! We live just on the edge of the Downhill estate, so we're lucky to get over and around the Mussenden Temple (another great transfer point?) with the dog most days. Our club 5k speed session was round the grounds and grass tracks of DH on Monday night- epic!
  • I am trying to remember the street we lived for that year. Was on a bank not far from railway. 22 years ago-lol

as a rough idea of who does what here we are (amended):

THE COASTERS TEAM

Although coastersgb has no boss as such , we have a small team responsible for various tasks to ensure the event’s success.

STU PRINCE

Founder and initiator of the event. Current responsibilities are media communications , promotion, public relations and maintainer of coasters philosophy and aims. Stu acts as mediator in the unlikely event of disputes. Currently working on a coastersgb book

BRUCE CLAPTON

Our genius webmaster, in control of updating and developing the coastersgb website. Responsible for anything website related.

KATHLEEN (K4T)

Kathleen is our co-ordinators co-ordinator and main administrator. Responsible for enquiries and instruction on joining coasters and that co-ordination is carried out smoothly.

MAURICE HEMINGWAY & ALISON CAMERON

Our main support coasters for Scotland. Maurice and Alison step in and advise on co-ordination and planning on Scottish stretches.

MIKE TAYLOR (MIKELFC)

Responsible for collation and distribution of coasters photographs. Supports Bruce in maintaining The Gallery.

MAARIT MEETRI (mm234)

Maarit is responsible for collating coasters reports and sending them to appropriate bodies.

RUNNAHOLIC

Top secret is what she doesimage

BIKERMOUSE

coasters main map person. Helps and supports in mapping routes

• Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

great Bruce,

Coleraine is slightly off coast but you could change that to Giants Causeway or Castlerock, I guessimage This is why we need local imputimage

Unfortunately, that appears to be the first crossing point I could find for the river Bann, and I couldn't see any ferry points either.

whitehead runner wrote (see)

Great stuff Bruce, how long do you get for lunch? That would take me all afternoon. From Larne to Carrickfergus to follow the coast would technically need to run around Islandmagee, that would add about 18miles onto that leg.

ahem!! shhhh !!! imageimage

The Islandmagee would be a point for discussion, is there not a ferry across from Larne? I can see piers etc. on the other side but it looks a little 'industrial' so don't know. Need someone local ?

• yes Bruce-could well be, thinking about it. Didn't run but did get "well exercised"image

you bin scivin' at work?

• nah, actually its not that bad now, I've done so many of these leg splitting things now got it down pat, only took 20 minutes or so. image
  • Bruce - www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)
    nah, actually its not that bad now, I've done so many of these leg splitting things now got it down pat, only took 20 minutes or so. image

mmm- 20 minutes to split legs? Used to take me all evening and a few drinksimage

• There's no ferry Larne-Islandmagee, but could sort something out, don't fancy running main road from Larne as there's no footpath and lots of lorries heading to the port!

Are there no female runners from NI interested, it really takes a woman to organise these things and just tell us where to be and when!

• julieflies has shown interestimage
  • and you now have legs too image

• My thread on NI Up and running has no replies image but 46 views image
  • mm-I did one at the begining -same sorta response woody. Tis frustrating but common on such sites as I have found out. Got to have a NI poster , then you may get something.

nice try though

I could plop a bit on again too.

• posted again on mine and yoursimage
  • was a lovely post woody and accurate. Do not get sad at little response. At the begining, I posted on loads. Trouble is with promoting  a unique  event like coasters , we cannot give what runners usually take for granted-ie time and date. Some are used to weekend only and the idea that you can run this as you would a weekday training run also is foreign. In other words, the coasters concept takes some getting used to. Now it is happening and people are dicovering it can be done , it should be easier. I always knew it could be done with a shift in perspective but I am not used to "usual races" to begin with, so lack that conditioning-lolimage
  • Ok, it's my 1st post here and I've put my name forward for this.

I'm surprised that some of the running clubs haven't picked up on this1 

•  Mailed a few , yesterday, Martin. In early days , it took a few days to get back when they do. Hopefully if they bother to click onto our present website they will be drawn in.

Anyway-welcome and please tell your running friends.

HMM -Portrush area

Joe Rocket -Castlerock Portrush 

Jim More

Mark Duffy

Bob

Terry

WR- Anywhere on Antrim coast

Julieflies

Martin Lilley

• Hi Martin, got your mail and have forwarded it on to K4T who keeps our master lists. So welcome aboard the good ship CoastersGB.

Muff - GreySteel                       12.1    (Martin Lilley)
    Greysteel - Ballyscullion       12.7
    Ballyscullion - Coleraine       12.7
    Coleraine - Portrush                  7.6
    Portrush - Dunseverick          10.4
    Dunseverick - Ballycastle     10.1
    Ballycastle - Knocknacarry   11.9
    Knocknacarry - Carnlough     13.8
    Carnlough - Larne                     13.3
    Larne - Carrickfergus                13.0
    Carrickfergus - Belfast              11.2
    Belfast - Bangor                          12.8
    Bangor - Donaghadee               7.2
    Donaghadee - Ballywater         7.7
    Ballywater - Cloughey                9.2
    Cloughey - Portaferry                  4.7
    Portaferry - Strangford (ferry)
    Strangford - Ringawaddy          5.5
    Ringawaddy - Ballygilbert        6.5
    Ballygilbert - Newcastle             15.8
    Newcastle - Mullartown                 6.5
    Mullartown - Maghereagh            5.4
    Maghereagh - Killowen                 8.5
    Killowen - Warrenpoint                  4.2
    Warrenpoint - Newry                     7.0

Can all others who have expressed an interest to date let us know which leg they want to run, or indeed advise of the leg changes they'd like so we can now start building up the list.

Ta