Options

Coasting Round Britain Northern Ireland

Comments

• Options

This is so totally do-able!  image

You just need some local running clubs to come on board and these legs will soon get filled with runners.

• Options

Stu,

I was really hoping that more people would pick up on this too. I don't run with a club so don't have contacts (or friends image), was hoping that maybe somebody who is with a club would have other clubs contacts and put out and email.

I had a look at the NI running club web sites found that most of them don't have a contact email address just submission forms.

I've sent the Moderator for Up and Running a PM so hope they can help a bit, seems very little interest on that forum too which is slightly alarming as they are NI based.

btw this is not me volunteering to be a co-ord it jsut trying to get something moving....image

• Options

Glad that you have interest Martin. Hopefully somehow the message will get through. I so so want you NI guys and gals to get in on this. You have a lovely coast and I know some damned good runners. One or two names are above. If they are club members that may help us.

I will put thinking cap on for this section.

Don't worry about not co-ording -just me being a bit pushy-lol

I do try to let the locals to a stretch do the running of that stretch. Makes it yours then.image

Barry wants you all too

• Options

I've sent www.niathletics.org a request for help/advice too...

Maybe they might be able to help.

Stu, what sort of time gaps have there been between legs? ie what was the worst that you know of? a day?, 2 days?

• Options

Great stuff on NI Athleticsimage 

I think Barry had a full day off once. Usually we suggest that runners treat their leg as a glorified training run, fitting it in before or after work in the week (like you do) . Obviously weekend is mileage time in general.

If Barry does 50-70 miles on each weekend day and maybe 10-25 miles each week day - a week is enough. Of course due to travelling over you lads could have a day or two more than a week.

Anyway once you NI folk do your workings out (is some flexibility) all will become clear. I guess  we want a "plan" from you.image

• Options
    Have mailed my old university sports people about the event. Hopefully being an old graduate of theirs may stimulate attentionimage
  • Options

Fingers crossed Stu image

I've asked a friend who lives in Southern Ireland to have a look at it, she's just completed an ultra so would be good to have her on board.

• Options

m  yifngres aer crosesd wodyo- bguger typnig thohguimage

• Options

lol  image

I've just sent an email to the Belfast Hash house Harriers (don't know why I hadn't thought of them before) so keep them fingers crossed .

• Options
  • Options
    eilers12 wrote (see)
    Took me a few weeks to make it across from U&R Forum. Still up for this so will add to list:

Muff - GreySteel                       12.1  - Martin Lilley
    Greysteel - Ballyscullion       12.7
    Ballyscullion - Coleraine       12.7
    Coleraine - Portrush                  7.6 - Joe Rocket
    Portrush - Dunseverick          10.4 - HMM
    Dunseverick - Ballycastle     10.1
    Ballycastle - Knocknacarry   11.9
    Knocknacarry - Carnlough     13.8
    Carnlough - Larne                     13.3 - Mark Duffy
    Larne - Carrickfergus                13.0 - Whitehead Runner
    Carrickfergus - Belfast              11.2 - eilers
    Belfast - Bangor                          12.8 - DS (the famouse U&R Kneebreakers run!)
    Bangor - Donaghadee               7.2
    Donaghadee - Ballywater         7.7
    Ballywater - Cloughey                9.2
    Cloughey - Portaferry                  4.7
    Portaferry - Strangford (ferry)
    Strangford - Ringawaddy          5.5
    Ringawaddy - Ballygilbert        6.5
    Ballygilbert - Newcastle             15.8
    Newcastle - Mullartown                 6.5
    Mullartown - Maghereagh            5.4
    Maghereagh - Killowen                 8.5
    Killowen - Warrenpoint                  4.2
    Warrenpoint - Newry                     7.0
  • Options

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Good morning Coasters.

We have now completed 8 stretches successfullyimage I also guess that we have all learned something about what make a stretch work well. Observing I have come to the conclusion that from now on we must follow a certain "approach"  to ensure no headless chicken acts and lovely smooth stretchesimage

they are:

1.  Get a co-ordinator for each leg set up well in advance as possible.
    2.  Seek runners but only add them when :
      a Coasters have provided name, e mail address and telephone numbers
      b.  Checked  in at two-weekly intervals to stay on the programme
      c. Coasters  have their  PM turned on

3. All coasters should  check in eight days before start

4. Coasters should ring Barry HQ at start and finish

In the next couple of weeks we can view the period as a transition period where those that have not done what is requested can do so. It is best to get these rules in now as we have a little more luxury as far as numbers are concerned.

Hope this is OK with folk

Stu

• Options
    LOL-no Blakeys now as Martin has agreed to be co-ord. I am sure you folk will be supportive to him and use this thread moreimage
  • Options
    yeah well done Martin good man image
  • Options

Ok, I've volunteered myself for something that I'll probably regret, but then un-regret it when it's all done and dusted.

So the 1st step I've taken is to set up a Coaster specific email address   - coaster.martin.ni@hotmail.co.uk so can anyone who's showing an interest in taking part please email me your Forum name, real name and mobile number.

Stu has given me a press release that I've given NI Athletics which they said they'll put up on their website so hopefully that will stir some interest, gonna send it off to a few running clubs that I know are around the coast, Newcastle AC and Newry City.

We have to get as many people on board by August 1st to ensure Barry gets to see our gorgeous coustline.

Un-regret is a word that I just made up....

• Options

Martin, nice move in taking on co-ording NI. I'm doing the Aber Flint stretch which 'ahem' straddles your stretch either side Holyhead crossing (or at least that is current thinking) so we'll need to work out dates etc a bit closer.

Also would it be better to use a northern-ireland@coastersgb.co.uk email address ? Let me know what you think and we can get you all set up properly etc. also I notice you haven't got message me turned on yet, so we can't endlessly pester you  imageimageimage

• Options

Damn! Never realised there was a coastersgb email address. Guess I better read up on what to do as a co-ord

Don't think it makes much of a difference and I've already given the NI Athletics the address.

There is a chance that Barry will arrive here in time for the Causeway Coast marathon (oct 2nd) that we hope he'll take part in, but closer to the time we'll find out.  If he comes over later it's not a disaster.

I'm looking forward to it....

• Options

I'm looking forward to running in NI - and don't forget that motorcycle ride!image

By the way, Martin, you still haven't turned on your pm...do you know how to do it?image

• Options

err... I knew it was turned off image was just testing to see who'd notice!! image

Tis on nowimage

• Options

lol- I had a couple too many beers and should have told you Martinimage

anyway there is a thread to address co-ord questions and issueimage

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=1&UTN=162082&last=1&V=6&SP=

• Options
    Nice one Martin, thanks for taking it on. We really want Barry running around NI so you'll get lots of support - any questions, just ask!
  • Options
    Looks like Barry's getting his wish of a bike ride with all the leathers on!image
  • Options

lol-

yes. All we need is the NI guys to use this thread and claim itimageI am sure Martin will get 'em to do that.

• Options
    Martin will get my details to you shortly. Any idea guys when Barry is going to be here?
  • Options
    trying to time it so Barry does The Causeway Maraimage
  • Options
    Thanks Stu, beginning of october looking full on, a stag do 8-11 and majorca marathon 15-18, should be okay first week of october.
  • Options
    you are gonna be busy-lolimage