Coasting Round Britain Northern Ireland

Comments

• Yeah a stag weekend the weekend before a marathon, far from perfect!!
  • WR I believe it's Edinburgh  I'm jealous I'm sure you'll make the most of both image.
  • Cheers Woody, will try and take it easy in Edinburgh, but it is a great city for a few drinks!!
  • Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

Hi folks,

This is my  weekly call for support for the present stretch Edinburgh to South Shields. Please pop in and show you are behind them.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=1&UTN=151364&last=1&V=6&SP=

This is absolutely crucial, in that, for coasters to be a success, all stretches have to complete.  The coasters spirit is partly about realizing how inter-dependent we are. Look at where Barry is now and feel proud. Look where he has been and look where he is heading!!

http://www.coastersgb.co.uk/barrytracker.php

What an event we have!image

• Hi All,

I've just been in touch with the Wales stretch before you about taking the holyhead leg, which would mean I'd bring Barry up to the start of the NI stretch. Ideally would like to take a leg in NI, but notice the first one has gone. 

Martin, are you fairly flexible about when you run? If you are then possibly I could take the leg after you, or perhaps just run the first few miles with you?

Charlotte 

• How is it going over here?  managing to recruit runners?

Aimage

• Alison -it is still suffering from lack of NI runners posting on here. We have Martin and Whitehead Runner thoughimage
  • Charlotte,

I'm very flexible with what leg of the route i do, also quite happy with somebody to run with me image

Still suffering from lack of interest unfortunately, even the post on the NI Athletics website has produced no fruit!

• ooooh -we will get 'round it somehow Martin. How about shoing the you tube video of first 1000 miles? It shows the fun we are actually having.

post this link on there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMV4NE2LJQ

• Hi Martin,

Thank you for being so flexible. As we would be driving up it might make more sense if we just ran the first leg between us, then handed over to you, as we could then head straight back for the ferry to get home as unless we are lucky enough for it the wales leg to fall near a ferry sailing on a sat morning then I guess we would be racing to get back for work. Are you sure you are ok with us doing the first leg?

I'm doing a leg on the South shields stretch this weekend with some other running friends, I may see if they could get to NI to cover some of the later legs on the stretch. I think there are a couple of them that might be interested, as I'm sure they could turn it into a little holiday. I'll sound them out about it when I see them on Sat.

I may also mention it to my running club, perhaps sell it as a 'club tour'...

Charlotte

• And I've not had a response from the Belfast Hash house Harriers image

There has to be runners out there who want to take part, the question is how do we get the word to them ?

• send 'em the link to our first 1000 mile vid for a start woody. Give them some background to the event too-what it is about etc. I will try later today but should come from locals.
  • Hi Charlotte,

By all means feel free to take the 1st leg, I just took the 1st leg hoping that it would start a chain reaction, now I'm hoping for ANY reaction.

Because Barry arriving here falls toughly around when the Causeway Coast Marathon is on (Oct 2nd) it makes things slightly more complicated, also the fact that there might be a Causeway Coast Ultra Marathon (39miles) so there might be some sore legs...

But, if Barry gets delayed and doesn't make it for Oct 2nd I was thinking of doing a couple (or more) of the longer legs.... I might do legs at the start and near the end if need be to.....we'll see closer to the time. I live near the start, used to live near the end and the middle bit is gorgeous lol

Yeah Woody,

I'm going to target specific running clubs this weekend with the Press Release and this web address...

• it is a special event and that needs to come across in the promo. Because it is different, some do have probs with that I guess. Unique events need to be sold quite heavily. This has never been attempted in this way before. 

could you PM me the mails you have sent and adaptations made? Will give 'em careful consideration and  work out what we are "not" doing.

Stu

x

• Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)
    send 'em the link to our first 1000 mile vid for a start woody. Give them some background to the event too-what it is about etc. I will try later today but should come from locals.

Just put it on Up and Running  Stu image

• I've sent an email to 7 Northern Ireland clubs so hopefully this event will get some more attention image
  • great stuff Martinimage

I think what sells the event is Barry's cuteness and personality. Once people have him they love him and some even fall for him before he arrivesimage If we focus on Barry we cannot go wrong. The coasters spirit is another biggy image Expressing it is a little more tricky.

• I've put a note on my local running club website asking people to drop onto the website and see what is going on. I've made special mention of NI and the need for runners here. Fingers crossed one or two will be interested.

Thanks for being flexible Martin. It will be really helpful to us if we take the first leg and will make the transition from Wales to NI an achievable target. I wonder who will bring Barry back on the ferry to Holy Head?

Stu - will there be some sort of shindig when Barry gets back to Blackpool? I'd quite to come along if a get-together is planned.

• Martin, Just received a mail via the website putting hand up for Belfast - Bangor.

I've just fowarded it on to coaster.martin.ni@hotmail.co.uk , if oyu want to set up a redirct to this one from the northern-ireland@coastersgb.co.uk email then let me know and I'll put it in place.
  • Another victim, sorry volunteer.... image

Yes please Bruce, set up a redirect.

I can feel a momentum  building up already.....

• Hi All... Barry checking in!image Wow...slowly but surely!  I must go prepare my leathers and helmet and googles..oops...I mean goggles...must get ready for that bike ride Martin promisedimage

While you are all busy here, perhaps you can get a little bit busier and pop round to the current thread to give the Coasters there some support and encouragement... we are running Edinburgh-South Shields at the moment and we are doing really well... If you come round to say hello, we'll be doing really really well...imageimage See you over there shortly..

• It's a little too quiet on here?????image
  • Too quiet for my liking too - it's like the animals in the jungle know that something is going to happen and they all go into hiding!

Well I contacted NI Athletics, they put stuff up on their website, then contacted 7 running clubs through their websites, these clubs were in and around the route.... and so far i've heard...

Nothing image

jackimage

Nadaimage

Zilchimage

• You have worked hard on it Martin-thanksimage

If we have no improved resonse in the next couple of weeks , we will have to drop NI.image

Remember though, it is not for the want of trying. We can only do our best. If nothing comes about you can join us for any of the bits over hereimage

• Hi bit of good news folks I made a plea on the up and running thread and I'm pleased to say we have another runner called Baz hopefully he will be popping his name down shortly image

need more though woodyimage