Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

I'm stciking with a 1:29 to 1:31 first half and a negative split, picking up at 18 to 20 depdning how I feel...may be conservative for me too with a 1:21 half but, I'd rather get 2:59 than blow up by going too hard too ealry and getting a 3:10 or something. The target is sub 3, so will go with the safest plan...

As for carbing up, is there any truth in the myth that you should depltete for 3 days before carbing up???? Gareth, is there an scientific evidence to support this?

Travelling a lot with work this week, so I have forgot that I'm not traning much and tapering....7 tomorrow easy, sat 7 with 4m quick, sun 10 at MP...30 for the week.........

• Options
    Kiwi girl 44, in London last year did 1st half 1.26.59, hung on for 2.59.10  didnt plan it that way just felt comfy,some of my early miles were to quick, but i wouldnt want to pick it up to much in 2nd half,if i was able toimage
  • Options
    Hi lou! Aka artful hen! Thank you for your message.
    I am running for wadac but can't wear the shirt unfortunately. I will have a White lucozade vest on with my name on the front!
    Yes in terms of support on the day, I have wadac, mile 17 runners world including hash, and cancer research uk. So actually I will have lots to keep me going!

writing this from my phone so will write properly when I'm back at thecomputer 
  • Options
    I'm aiming for 1.29 at halfway. Don't think I'll have the gas to do a negative split but I reckon trying to keep even pace will feel almost like a neg split with the extra effort needed in second half. In the past I've def pushed it a bit too quick in first half and it's come back to bite me on the arse
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Last club run for me last night, 7 miles. First 2.5 miles were normal pace but last 4.5 were pretty quick. Ended up running with a sub 2.50 lad and pace ended up being around 6.30-35ish. Felt good to have a proper stretch out for my last speedy run.

Spoke to the lads at the club, I'm aiming for 1.28-1.29. I may still have to hang on at 20 but I don't want to make it even harder for myself.

Sports massage today, no doubt, I'll be screaming like a girl, lol No offence ladies!

• Options

Hi all

Sorry to interrupt - just a quick reminder that Liz Yelling will  be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any last-minute training/race-week questions you might have.

We've opened the debate a little early so post your questions to Liz now!

Thanks

Catherine

• Options
    Hi All,

Karen here Christina. Thought I'd pop in to give support, share my nerves and taper advice.

Just put my red laces in my race shoes, going to try them out this afternoon before putting my shoes away until next weekend. Justin thought that the laces are a bit short so I suggest trying them before the big day.

Still formulating my race plan...watch this space.

K
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Errm, you won't count as a scorer for WADAC unless you are in your club vest.  They are that anally retentive, I'm afraid.

I'm planning 1.29 ish at halfway.  A small cushion of safety but hopefully not so much that I risk blowing up and crawling the last 10k. 

Legs finally starting to feel a little bit more springy - I'd forgotten that feeling!

• Options
    Hi Mum who runs! Will be interesting to hear your formualated race plan..hopefully we will bump into each other after the merger of the blue and red.

Joolska- glad you are feeling springy! hopefully i will be this weekend after my rest day today!

Kiwi girl 44- Welcome! that is a quick half but yes i think a 1hr 20 half marathon justifies that and you should see yourself quite well under the 3 hr mark...are you on the red start?

Off out tonight to do some more carbo loading image
  • Options
    Gareth Turner - Lucozade Sport Scientist wrote (see)

Some sensible advice from the other forum users. It’s important to still enjoy what you are eating and not let it stress you out. Monitoring what you are eating and in some cases eating a little less, in line with your taper and reduction in miles, is important. An increase in carbohydrate consumption starting 3-4 days before VLM is the standard procedure so carbs providing the main base for your meals is recommended. For additional information go to the following carbohydrate factsheet.

Hi all

Friday evening and had a slight wobble but  with masive self control, managed to avoid the usual Friday night glass of wine. Did have some pasta though and was just checking out the above mentionned article. It says: "For those involved in sport where carbohydrate loading may be beneficial, combine 1-4 days of training taper alongside a high carbohydrate diet of 7-12 grams per kilogram of body mass per day (g/kgBM/ day). This is equivalent to 490-840 g for a 70 kg athlete".  Now I am 66kg which gives between 462 and 840g. And I just consumed at the most maybe 200g and I haven't eaten much else today. But the idea of eating the equivalent of 4 times this for 2-3 days, especially without any exercise seems a little extreme.  Am I missing something ?

Porridge and banana for brekkie tomorrow, walk the dog and then 10 miles easy.

• Options
    SwissPhil. I posted this on my thread which was nicked off Evil Pixie's thread:

Emma Kingzett - Lucozade Sport Scientist wrote (see)
    Scuba - You're not alone in finding the volume of food required to consume approx 7g per kg carbohydrate a challenge! We just need to find practical ways to manage this and make it achieveable - and if you really struggle, don't over eat for the sake of it.

3 main things to consider;

1. Don't try and cram it all into 3 meals in a day. Try 5 or 6 smaller meals comprising a variety of carb rich foods you enjoy eating e.g pasta, breads, potato, cous cous and don't forget fruit and veg are a great source of carbs to combine as well.

2. Include drinks - there is a tendancy to sometimes neglect our beverages when it comes to carbohydrate intake. Fruit juices, sports drinks, milf shakes are all excellent sources of carbohydate if we can't face eating any more heavy solid foods, and will top up carbohydrate intake.

3. Think low volume, high density carbohydrate snacks. In between meals you have permission to snack on the day before your marathon! To avoid feeling permanently full all day choose smaller practical carb rich snacks such as malt loaf, bagels, cereal bars etc or even some sweets might be a useful addition.

I hope this helps!

She also posted this on my bi-weekly synopsis:
    " I have advised him to increase his carbohydrate intake in the days immediately preceding the marathon to a volume of at least 7g of carbohydrate per kg bodyweight per day. Richard is planning to reach this desired volume through three or four large carbohydrate-based meals supplemented with carbohydrate rich snacks"

Basically don't think of carb loading as 840g of pasta but think laterally. Lucozade sports drinks, energy bars, fruit,etc to snack on in and around your meals.
    Typical breakfast when carbo-loading would be:
    3 x weetabix with banana
    glass of OJ
    2 x toast with marmalade
    coffee w/milk

Sip on Lucozade BodyFuel throughout the day, eat slices of watermelon throughout the day, eat fresh pineapple, eat the odd Lucozade energy bar. Loads of option really
  • Options
    Interesting stuff regarding carbs.

R Salter Wrote:Gareth - do you retain more glycogen with wholeweat options in that it takes more for the body to digest rather than just turning to sugar and ultimately fat with white options, pasta, bread etc?

This is an interesting question, Gareth what do you think?

I have no idea how much carbohydrate i consume in a day..I'm going to work it out for a day for interest.

70 min run or 10 mile planned for me this AM.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

JBFAR - I guess i should have some idea seeing as I am a personal trainer, lol I'm guessing you probably do because wholeweat options are unrefined and therefore the body digests them slower retaining more goodness??

Good day of rest yesterday after thursdays club run except for my last core session. Had a sports massage which has made my legs feel really good. Calfs were bloody painful on the outside and a couple of spots on the quads, jesus!!!

Got loads of energy at the moment with this taper. 5 easy today, 10 miles tomorrow.

• Options
    7 yesterday with 4 at 6.20 feeling very sharp, easy 5 later, 10 tomorrow some at mp not sure how much though-any ideas??

Also any advice or experience about carb depletion before loading??????

Weathers great, pity there's no long run today......
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

5M easy this morning with 8 sets of strides thrown in.  I must be overly cautious, but I wouldn't do this weekend's 'long' run with much if any MP work in it, unless (and perhaps even if) your long runs usually have a significant chunk of MP work.  My last 'session' will be on Tuesday and that will be 5-6 miles with 2 @ MP.  I might throw a small number of strides into easy runs later in the week but that's it.

Noakes doesn't reckon there's much benefit to carb depletion before loading.  Generally viewed as a bit old-fashioned.  Never tried it and don't fancy it - probably because I love my carbs too much (and am a veggie; much as I love my protein sources, the thought of 3 straight days of cheese, eggs and tofu makes me want to hurl!).

• Options

Thanks MM for good advice on carbs. I think that my major problem is that I don't really eat that much: I quite often last all day on a croissant and a banana. So will try topping up with fruit, sports drinks and energy bars.

RH5, what I have read agrees with Joolska: carb depletion isn't viewed as offering any advantages now. And, it may even supress the immune system, which is definitely not what we need at this stage!

• Options

SwissPhil - Some great advice from my colleague Emma K on the other thread which I don't think I really need to add to!

RH 5 - there are some extreme methods out there with regard to depletion before loading. With methods like that you have to ask yourself 'do the benefits outweigh the risks?' Like Joolska said that method is quite dated. For this year I would probably stick to the most reliable methods but for another run that isn't quite so important by all means give the other methods a go. As for scientific evidence I will get back to you on that one with some journal abstracts.

• Options

RSalter – I hope the following piece of information will help you.

“The University of Missouri Nutrition Department explains that complex carbohydrates, like whole wheat pasta, have more vitamins, minerals and fibre than refined carbohydrates and they raise blood sugar levels at a slower rate. Therefore they recommend eating a complex carbohydrate like whole wheat pasta in the days before an event.”

I wouldn’t necessarily say that they retain more glycogen but whole-wheat pasta does appear to be a better source of carbohydrate for carbo-loading.

• Options
    8m tempo this a/noon 6.12 av. going well but dont feel likeimage  rest now till tues.
  • Options
    I will cut carbs down a bit till wednesday, just as the training volume is low. No depletion. Just had a race day breakfast practise, and will run 10m at 10am, race gear, probably do 6@ race pace......
  • Options
    73 minute run yesterday with Mumwhoruns. It was lovely- we picked a nice flt route and the sun was beating down- it was great! Av 7.43 pace.

Felt I had a bit more energy so hopefully the tapering is working! going out for a 50 minute run later...

How is everyone doing? wonder how people are getting on at the Brighton marathon today..
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hope 7.43m/m is an auspicious pace for last 'long' runs - exactly what mine turned out to be (although I did 13M today)!  Absolutely beautiful day for it.  Clear blue skies, bright sunshine but everything still green, not that horrible parched yellowy green we'll get later on in the year.

Only a few more runs now, and then the Big Day.  I'm actually quite excited!

• Options
    Last double figure run this morning. Did full race prep in terms of breakfast etc. Did 10m at 6.48 average. Tapering feeling good at last , had to hold back ..... The preparation had been almost perfect so far, it's all down to execution on the day now. I have really enjoyed the prep. After being injured all last year until September it's been fab to get some form and see some progression, I hope the execution goes well and I hit target, although from where I was a year ago even contemplating sub 3 is a great achievement...my mind was allreadyvthinking about next years target this morning!!!!

I hope regardless of finish time, everyone has a great build up this week and a day to remember next Sunday. We are all extremely privaliged to have the oportunity, so enjoy it and make the most of it... Good luck everyone!!!!!
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Morning all! image Yep 1hr 17 for me today, lifted the pace a little on the way back but wasn't that concerned to be honest. Weather here in North London where I am is currently at 16C accoridng to Uk weather and the sun is out. So that means the hottest part of the day if its forecast for 18-19 must be around 2ish. Think the temp is meant to drop a little this week which would be ideal.

RH - I'm a little like you in that I had a funny year last year. Got swine flu 3 days after the St ALbans' half marathon in June and ended up with a very strange post viral fatigue type thing. Literally couldn't run or lift weights or anything for 3 1/2 months, no energy, nausea, insomnia etc. Awful. So to be where I am now I've got to be pretty pleased really.

JBFAR - good that you're feeling more energetic now. Still got a full week to gear up too!!!

Really looking forward to the day now, done all I can in training, there's so some natural doubts about pace etc but no "ifs or buts" going into the race. I've got all my key runs in and run two pbs in the half and faster than I thought I'd be so I can't really have asked for much more.

p.s Piss off cold germs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pps Reckon I;m going to check out Chandos when I finish for a pint before meeting mates at the other boozer.

• Options

Morning all. Nice day for our last LSR. Went out last night to a friends 40th. Limited myself to two small beers and woke up this morning with a hangover!. Also somehow managed to convince myself during the night that I had come down with a sore throat and cold. Thankfully not the case and actually felt relieved to get up at 6 a get ready for a run, breakfast, kit etc. Beautiful day. Lots of fellow marathoners on last outing so lots of encouraging nods to each other.

Last lap now. Good Luck to all and looking forward to hearing all the reports in a weeks time.

John

• Options
    Last run with any sort of speed... 10 miles at MP. Felt ok ish...second 5 felt easier than the first. Its getting close now, just hope its not as warm as it is today.....
  • Options

Hi Christina -  good to hear you feel you have a bit more energy, today ! it  really easy street now!

Enjoy ! 

• Options
    What sort of week are you training everyone??
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

RH - "cotton wool" really as in won't be taking any chances with too much speed stuff. May rest tomorrow or 4-5, Tues 4 inc some strides or very light speed stuff on treadmill. Wed - 3, Thurs and Fri - Rest, Sat - 10-15mins.

Today I have had an awful dose of pre race paranoia. Ran today, tiny bit of stiffness in right leg but essentially nothing and basically a totally fine run. Then got it into my head that I'd tweaked something in my right leg so spent the entire day while I was out with the family flexing my right leg convinced something had been tweaked. Went back to gym tonight to sit on a bike, stretch and then sit in a steam room.

Overview = totally and utterly pathetic, lol Dear oh dear......that said if there's even a hint of anything tomorrow I won't be doing any running whatsoever.