Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• RH5  4m fastish tues  4m easy fri,when you going to London?

• 5-6  easy today.

4-5 with 2 at MP on wed evening before the carbo loading starts.

Biggest worry for me now, is something I haven't really factored in before : how am I going to get there if there are no flights!

• 6 days to go!! I can hardly believe it!  well done for your final longinsh runs.

Swissphil- have everything crossed for you for the flights to resume..is there an alternative way for you?

Went for a 50 minute run yesterday- one to forget though as I had the worst stiches ever!  For one moment i thought it was my appendix but i think i was just unlucky....Going to forget that one anyway!

My final week is looking like this;

Rest and massage for me today- my hip is hurting again so good to get that seen to.

Tues- 40 min with either MP or faster 1 minutes

weds- 20-30 min easy

Thurs 20-30 min easy

Fri- day off

sat- 20 mins

Sun- VLM!! 26.2 miles hard

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

My plan is pretty similar to JBFAR's:
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - c 5 miles incl 2 @ MP
    Wednesday - 4/5 miles
    Thursday - 3/4 miles
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 2 miles (or maybe second rest day)
    Sunday - 26.2 miles image

• I'll do a rest and massage today, tues 5m with 2m @ mp, wed 3m easy with a couple of strides, thurs 2m easy, fri rest, sat 2m easy. My training this week is mainly to keep calm and not to get stiff or lethargic.

H4rry- going to london by train...on the 12.55 from Cardiff on Friday, back on the 4.37 Sunday. Will be going to register late Friday afternoon. What are your plans???

Will anyone else be registering late afternoon Friday, would be cool to share a pasta dish at the expo???
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Swissphil - yeah hope the flight situ sorts itself out, so many people are buggered with thisimage

I'm going down the Expo thursday morning. I was going to go wed but have quite a few training sessions on in the gym so I'd rather have more time down there than rush on wednesday.

Ran 35 mins this morning, felt fine although tiny bit of stiffness in my right leg, not much to be alarmed about really except for taper/race ultra paranoia, lol So this week is...

Today 35 mins - done

Tuesday - Rest (probably, maybe very light cycle in gym)

Wed - 30 mins

Thurs - 30 mins

Fri - Rest

Sat - 15 mins

Sun - Race

• Good luck to you all. Rather envious as I remember the excitement of last year. I have  6 weeks until my due date (and my marathon).

Enjoy this week, don't envy carbo loading I hate it but it does work.

Good luck to all those requiring flights to get here...

• Have to stop looking at websites for news every 5 minutes. Guardian is now saying that it might last all week. image

Alternatives would be car or train, boat but at the end of the day it's only a race : lots of people have more important reasons to travel than I have, and I don't know if I can cope with 10-12 hours of travel at best.

Looking for other marathons in europe next weekend that I could drive to, but don't know if it will be too late to enroll.  Time to go for a little run and forget about it.

• RH5 Going up on bus 10am fri morn, should be at expo mid a/noon,taking wife & daughter for race support,should bump into you on w/e somewhere. 
  • swiss phil: seems like a bit more positive news regarding flights at the moment?? hope you get one sorted

Mitchie M: good luck with your marathon too!

My massage was a bit painful in areas (hip) but my legs feel fine according to the fizz so all good

Getting excited now..may start packing items in the next few days..or at least making a pile of them! I've been eating loads of fruit today so well dosed up on vitamins!

• JBFAR Whats your plan of attack for the race,half way etc.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

H4RRY - what time are you going for?

• H4rry: It's a tricky one isn't it. I was thinking of getting to half way at 1.30 but not sure if I need to be going 1.29 if I want to go for sub 3? this is what the majority have been saying on this forum.

I think i am really close to sub 3 and i will give it a good go but i dont want to go too fast and blow up in the last 6 miles....

I think I am going to have to go as I feel and just judge it on the day to an extent...

• By the way has everyone been listening to Martin Yellings marathon talk? I need to download the lastest one- they have been great to listen too on my dog walks image
  • RSalter i want to beat last years time 2.59,should be capable of faster.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I seem to remember Phil from sub 3 forum coming on here saying a positive split going into the second half as a great confidence builder. Maybe that but not too much of positive split would work? So going through in 1.29.xx? Not too fast, not too slow.

I'm aiming at 1.28-29, should be capable off my 1.20 half in Reading. I need to be careful though!

JBFAR - feeling your way on the day is key though as you say.

• JBFAR, Think i would prefer to be under 1.30,but who knows??image
  • What is your fueling strategy looking like???
    Im taking gels and water..I will do gels every 4 miles i think which means 5 gels up to 20 miles...and the last 6 miles should look after themselves...

•   I take a gel before then 4 gels, 1 every 40 mins,plus lucozade sport drink.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

JBFAR - SiS gel before the start, then (roughly) at 6, 10, 15, 20. Water and lucoazde too.

I've found my SiS belt bounces around quite a lot with 3 or more on the belt so Im going to run with two on the belt and have one which I;m taking at 6 miles tucked into a sweatband. I'm going to grab one off friends/family at 18 miles. I'm giving a few people just to be sure, lol

Can use the lucozade ones if necessary at either 14/21 miles.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

ANYWAY NEWCASTLE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atleast I can enjoy this tonightimage

• Good plan r salter . My belt was annoying me at the half I did. I'm going to think of alternatives.

Gareth: when should you take your last gel in the race to make it count?
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

JBFAR - there's a lucoade gel stand at 21 miles and I think I read on here when Gareth said it takes 10-15 mins to gain the energy from the gel. So if you took one at 21 you'll get the benefits for the last 3 and a 1/2 miles approx I'm guessing..... once its been "processed".

If I take one at 15 that should see me through until 19-20 given that I'll have taken them at 6 & 10-11 approx. Either way it'll be good to have that last one ready for the kitchen sink situation, guts and glory and all that.

Yeah again re the belt, the difference between 2 and 3 on the belt was profound really in terms of "bounce" and weight. Thats SiS gels tho, lucozade ones are lighter.

• Posting from I phone so bear with me!!

Expo: will be there about 5pm Friday, will be on the I phone so if you're going to be around let me know and we can arrange to meet up or exchange mobile numbers

race day: taking my own cereal for breakfast ( keep everything the same ), no gels, just luc sport ( done all my long runs on small breakfast, one bottle of luc sport and no gels, no energy problems ) so will stick with it. Going for a negative split, first half not quicker than 1.28 and not slower than 1.32, will pick up the pace From m18 or 20, depending on timing.

Feeling very good, in fact never felt better, the prep had been great, just need to execute as planned. Will be using mp3 which will be a first time in a race, but in keeping with my long runs which should keep me relaxed.

Not long now, start packing tomorrow!!!
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

RH - you should run with a massive Welsh flag!!! lol

• Hi everyone, Great to hear a few have you have been practicing your race day routines and are having positive feeling about being ‘energised’!

JBFAR – I would have to agree with RSalter about taking the last gel at around mile 21 to gain the full benefit until the end of the race. There is also a final drink at mile 23 if you miss that gel.  Ideally the aim is to fuel your muscles little and often so you can take the gels/drinks until the final mile if you wish, any excess carbs will only aid your recovery!

I will also be at the Expo from Wednesday until Saturday so if you have any further questions come over to the Lucozade Sport Science area!

• Re : carrying gels

I have pair of shorts made by company called Erima - not sure if available in UK, but they have a zip pocket in back which you can put 2 gels and they don't bounce around at all. I then use wrist bands for 2 more.

RH5 - will be taking my IPOD shuffle as well - not sure if I will use it, depends on level of noise and support. In last couple of marathons I have used it after 20 miles to give me a lift. Just need to unplug it f when I hit the Mall so to not spoil the photos.

Swiss airspace now open but not UK. image

• Hi JBFAR - lots of useful info here but the most important question I want to know is have you got a nice kit supplied for the marathon??? I'm still mentally scarred from the obscenely short shorts RW supplied me with image

Gels - one before the gun then 4 during the race - 2 held in each hand consumed at 5, 10, 15 and 20 miles.
  • Re Bouncing gel belt

Try a run this week with the belt loaded (4-5 gels) but position it lower down/below the hips

• Rs- if it would help going sub 3 I would carry a flag!!!!

Started to slowly up carbs today, from 200g to 300g roughly. Feel full of energy, can't wait till Thursday to really start carbing !!

Phil- I usually moan about mp3 wearers in races ad they are usually in the way , but as it will be chaos with everyone in the way I may as well join them, it may keep me relaxed.....