Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Gareth, I've heard of some people having a large inake of carbs 3 days out, then 2 days eating slightly more than carbs than usual. Would this ensure stores ate maximised whilst not hitting the starting line feeling bloated?? I've been doing 200g carbs daily since tapering, plan was to increase by 100g per day until sat, would this work. I weigh 11st 5 which is about 70kg....my protien intake is pretty high at well over 100g to 150g roughly????

Will pop over to see you at the expo, but any help appreciated
  • Hi Christina - I hope you are not climbing the walls yet ! good call getting a massage this week and not to close to race day !

I think this applies to everyone ,in the first half of the marathon just keep saying one word to yourself, "RELAX"Don't get caught up in anybody Else's pace early on, Remember its you again 26.2 mile, have your plan and stick to it, someone once said to me, The marathon is like an emotional roller coaster, you will go thought bad patches, and they might be early on, but you have to just work thought them, and you will! 

Enjoy the Expo, after all its part of the marathon experience, but if you are picking up your number on Saturday, try not to spend to much time on your feet

TAKE CARE !

• Dunc1 - Hello! thanks for advice- im going to try that this week with my fuel belt on short runs.

Saint J- Yes all important outfit sorted- we weren't given any shorts so had the luxury of choosing my own..and no, they aren't short shorts!
    comfy addidas ones...still gonna put body glide everywhere to prevent chaffidge though!

went to club tonight and did 6x 800m MP. Felt ok..bit windy out..

Paul - Yes definitely good advice regarding relaxing on first half.

Seems a bit weird not doing much running doesnt it??!
  • Good to meet up with everyone at the last track session JBFAR. Nice vibe - nervous excitement! All the best on Sunday. Hope it goes well. I'm sure it will.
  • RE. Carrying gels,got pair ron hill shorts, zip pocket in back for 2 gels + 1 mesh pocket each side,1 gel each.     Did 4m fast tonight,4m easy friday morning left
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

19C and bright sunshine forecast for sunday then......getting warmerimage

I think sunday just gone here in London which was about the same, it was 16C at 12pm which is manageable. Temp went up 3 degrees by 2pm so looks like we'll have the last hour to contend with the warmer weather.COuld be properly tough for the runners taking longer.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

If its defo on for properly warm one I might buy a running hat, I grabbed my mates cap at 18 miles when I was really suffering on the dogs in 2007 and it really helped.

I'm not in total panic yet and if there's a decent breeze we should be able to get round most of it before it becomes really uncomfortable.

• Was warm last year,dont know temp.image
  • Flight looks like it's going to be ok image, which of course raises the question of whether it was actually dangerous before , or whether it is still dangerous now ?

What with all the training in the snow, the various injury worries, the doubts about getting there etc. this has been one of the most stressful preparations I've had. Hopefully this will translate into a great performance.  In any case, will just be glad to get to the start line.

Agree that it is weird not training, but somehow have managed to lose 2 pounds in last 10 days.

Question: What time is everyone aiming to be at the start , and how long is the walk from Greenwich station ?

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Phil - great news that your flight is ok mate!

• Weather does look to be 16 ish til noon then really warm up to 19 or so. Looks like a light breeze of 12 kph so in fact might be not too bad at all. Positive vibes and all that. Like RS says - not going to much fun for the 4 or 5 hour folk. Hope they don't run out of water for them as they did at Edin last year !

2 miles today for me and 2 on either Fri or Sat once have journeyed down to the Smoke. Legs finally starting to feel more fresh. 

Just planning my carb-fest now...nice.

Stay injury/bug free everyone!

I find if I put the sis belt as tight as poss it bounces round alot less

• I prefer it warm than cold.. so all good...(just not too warm please!)
    Think there are showers on course to cool you down too if you get too hot or have an accident with an exploding gel image yuck.

Supposed to be at the expo today but due to unforeseen circumstances I can't go. I will probably go up friday now instead.

SP- So glad that the flights are looking good to go again, for you and for everyone else struggling to get home

Have a niggle in my hip which is the only annoying thing to report at the moment.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I was talking to one of my clients in the gym today who lived on the route in Greenwich. We were talking about the heat in 2007 and she said the thing with that year is that there was no breeze whatsoever. What did me that year was being unwell so going into this year even though it looks like it'll be warm again atleast physically I'm better equipped and actually up for the challenge!!!!

Confidence boosting run for me today, 30 mins treadmill including 3 mins @ MP then another 2 mins @ MP with normal pace in between. Didn't feel any niggles etc and it seems to have helped me mentally as I've been in a slump since the weekend worrying about aches etc.

Think I may rest totally tomorrow and friday now, not sure having run 30 mins Mon, Tues, Wed.

Feel far more positive nowimage

JBFAR - I'm sure the hip will ease before but even if you feel it on the day, once you get a few miles under the belt most aches tend to ease off once blood circulates.

• Just been for my pre-race haircut - should have taken off a few ounces - maybe I should shave my legs as well !

RS -  I would rest a bit now - nothing you can do now that will improve your time and there is always a risk, albeit minimal that you could pull something.

JBFAR - hip will be fine - stay calm ! Showers are also useful if you pour a cup of Isostar over your head, thinking that it's water, as a mate of mine did once.

Haven't started the carbo loading yet , but upping my water intake in anticpation of the heat.

• just avoided a near disaster- I caught Ringo with my garmin in his mouth about to have a good chew on the rubber!! that would of been a bit annoying to say the least!
    Going to delete some history as don't want that lap full message to come up mid marathon!

Ive kind of started carbo loading- due to feeling hungry more than anything!! Beans on toast for lunch!

R salter- take it easy- you are feeling great, stay that way!
  • heh carb loading started in earnest here too - 6 x hot-crossed buns destroyed before lunch in practically one sitting image

Also for the heat thing I'm drinking lots of SiS PSP22 on Friday and Saturday and I've got two big bags of sea salt potato chips to get through for extra salt intake - seemed to do the trick in my 20 mile race back in March - with no signs of cramping (I cramped badly at Lochaber last year at mile 25 - been on my mind ever since) and that was pretty warm too.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I wasn't considering battering anymore runs, lol juts stuff to stay loose......3 30 min runs I've done this week have done that though so yeah I will rest tomorrow and friday. On my feet a fair bit tomorrow anyway what with trip to expo.

Bought a Puma running cap for £7 today so may use that or atleast give it to my folks so I can grab it for the last bit when its warmer.

Interesting about the crisps.................

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

sj: I use PSP22 before most of my runs and Rego afterward. I've got some SIS 'GO' also, as this is, I think, supposed to be better for when it's hot as it contains electrolyte. Depending on the temp on Sunday morning, I think I'll go for PSP22 on Sat and maybe 2x 500ml of 'Go' on Sunday pre race.....any thoughts on this?

• JS-  What's Sis PSP22 ?

Just checking out the press pack on vlm site - last year there were 155'000 applicants, 49'995 were accepted and yet only 35'884 started . What happened to the rest ?

35'375 finished of which 1000 were less than 3 hours

• Hi I've just picked up 1.5kg of SiS PSP22 Carb powder also. Much easier to take than the other brands and a useful top up of carbs / fluid from tomorrow on. Planning a decent 3 carb based meals per day, the remainder in drink from with the odd malt loaf slice thrown in, dont want to feel bloated so no pasta, but plenty of rice and jacket spuds.

Phil, glad your flight is sorted, that would have been very unlucky.

I dont like warm weather running, but its better than snow!!! Weather is out of my control so not even checking forecasts, theres plenty of water around so may need more than my ususal 500ml spread over my 20m+ runs!!

I was driving home form work planning my usual 13.1m Mara pcae run tonight and then remembered the race is this sunday!!!! ................must be relaxed.......

(ps. saw the london marathon ad on Tv last night, gave me goose bumps, I'm calm but very very up for this!!!) 

• Huzzahhh !!! Carbs here we come. Gently building them up to a frenzied intake over Fri/Sat.

Sounds like everyone's coming to the boil gently in just the right time.

Starting getting paranoid about my tooth today (same which gave me probs day before Edin last May) - completely without any substantial reason - at least legs feel fine and dandy. My wife is making some skillful adjustments to my SIS belt just now - won't be many ruinners with a pimped gel belt out there I'd wager !!

I too am taking a cap but have never really run in one I suspect even if it's hot enough to start in, it might quickly get tossed aside....

• JBFAR - Missed you at the Expo today, Mike is determined to have some "inflatable clackers" so over to you!!

Taper week all in order - lots of sitting around, mid afternoon nap, legs waxed, manicure on Saturday decided to go with red rather than gold, number collected, drinking lots of water and eating carbs.

Top tip think about your salt intake as the weather is hotter and you will sweat more.

Hopefully see you at 3 miles.
  • Hi Karen, Salt intake? Does that mean incorporate more or less salt into your diet leading up to the race? I presume more if you're losing it in sweat. Don't want a repeat of the Amsterdam cramps!
  • Day one of the VLM Expo in the bag! I’m going to signal out a key message from each day which I will post each night. From day 1 the clear message in ensure you are hydrated before you start your race. The easiest way for you to find this out is by the colour of your urine. The following urine chart will provide you with some guidelines: 
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/479052/Gallery/Pee_Chart.png
     When you wake up in the morning and urinate for the first time you are likely to be dehydrated (3-5 on chart), therefore you will need to consume some additional fluids until your urine is pale and clear (1-2). If you start your race in a dehydrated state then it will only get worse when you start sweating to cool your body down.
     For every 1% of your body mass you loss through sweat your heart rate increases, core temperature increases and perceived exertion increases.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I'm coming down expo this morning Gareth, will look out to say helloimage

• woke up today with a bit of cramp in my calf! think i need to up my salt...not sure by how much..Karen?? are you putting a pinch in all meals or something like that?
    Glad to hear your taper preps are going well with the painted nails and leg wax. I will do as much as i can to make sure Mike gets his swag image

going to focus on drinking today- with Lucozde hydroactive or nuun tablets.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

JBFAR.. I think calf aches are fairly common in taper week.  Something about the muscles reacting to less training.  I did my 8 x 400 session last night, easy run today, rest Friday, 2.5m easy Sat morning.  My legs tend to feel better with only one rest day. 

I see the BBC are prediciting 21 degrees by lunchtime on Sunday now.  I prefer the warmth to wind or rain personally, how is everyone else feeling?  It was very sunny when I ran the Hull 20 and I came back with a half decent sun tan! 

I suppose now is the time to eat all those 'ready meals' that the experts tell us have too much salt in them image

I have a pocket in my shorts so I'm going to carry a couple of packets of the Lucozade energy beans with me to add to the gel offerings on the course.

Best of luck on Sunday JBFAR and everyone else running from the thread.

• Aching lots which is normal I'm sureimage

20 mins yesterday evening and feeling right heel - will be ok once warmed up properly I hope. Yoga class at lunchtime - for stretching and relaxtion

At least I'm at number 1 on Gareth's chart.

• Just did 5m, first 3@ 6.50, then 2 very slow jog. Feeling really good, but it's very warm!!!