Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options
    jacket potato and beans for lunch- check!

• Options
    Neil - add a pinch to your food. Definitely a good idea for you after your leg cramps. As you will be drinking more over the next few days, the sodium gets washed out of your system so ignore all normal health advice and add salt.

Jacket potato for me too.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Been and done the expo thing.

Loaded up on SiS gels anc carb loading stuff. Saw the Swaetshop lads one of which works in the local branch and bought some running sunglasses which will certainly take the edge of the glare if as it seems it's really bright.

Decided to get my name on the front of vest as it was only £8.  "ROB" doesn't cost much, lol Also got a very light 15 min massage which was pretty good actually and good for piece of mind if anything.

Missed Gareth at luzozade stand as he was in later. Saw Martin/Liz Yelling doing a talk but once I got what I needed couldnt be arsed to hang around.  

I'm really gearing myself up for the hot weather now it so if it's not as hot as it's meant to be it'll be a bonus. (Have seen forecasts saying some decent cloud cover though throughout the day) Can't change it so best get on with it and run tougher.

Currently eating lots and drinking lots......................

• Options
    Hi Rob, sorry I missed you at the Expo today. Good luck on Sunday. I'll be looking out for you at mile 23 where I will be cheering everyone on!
  • Options
    22 degrees is admittedly a bit too hot...thats what the Beeb are saying for sunday..hmmmph.

Well it will be what it is.

going for a 20 minute jog later followed by a soak in the bath as I keep getting aches and pains!!

will look out for a ROB then and say hello!
  • Options

just had first of many plates of pasta - feeling rather full.

JBFAR - hopefully won't be 22 degrees at the start - so just need to get to the finish before it really starts to heat up!

• Options

Another successful day at VLM Expo. There has been plenty of talk about carbohydrate loading today and for good reason.  The main concern for most runners is the amount of carbohydrate they have to consume. It is recommended that you consume a high carbohydrate diet of 7-10 grams per kg of body mass per day for 1-4 days alongside your training taper. Carbohydrate loading does not have to be eating monster sized bowl of pasta every evening and can be enjoyable! The following are some exaples of high GI foods.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/479052/Gallery/High_GI.jpg

• Options
    Thanks Karen. At least I have an excuse now. Jen is always telling me off for adding salt to her cooking before I've even tasted it!
  • Options

An example of high carbohydrate diet for a 80kg runner, consuming 7g/kg/BM, would be: 

BREAKFAST - 60g cereal with 200ml (semi) skimmed milk = 60g, 2 slices of bread + 2 teaspoons on honey / jam = 45g,150ml orange juice = 15g               

SNACK  - Medium piece of fruit (pear, orange, apple) = 15g, 500ml Lucozade Sport or squash = 30g

LUNCH  - Medium baked potato = 60g, 150g low fat fruit yoghurt = 10g, Banana (large) = 35g                 

SNACK  50g raisins = 35g, Medium piece of fruit (pear, orange, apple) = 15g, 300ml of orange juice = 30g

EVENING MEAL - Pasta (250g cooked weight) = 80g, Broccoli and tomato sauce = 20g, 410g tin of fruit salad = 50g, 500ml squash or diluted juice = 30g 

SNACK  Lucozade Sport Energy Bar = 30g               

Total Carbohydrate = 56 g

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Gareth I hope you're sitting down for this one! lol To go with the porridge for breaky and wholeweat pasta/turkey lunch (usual snacks of fruit and cereal bars etc in between) I've topped off today nicely with an early evening feed of......

Potatoes, 2 sausages, broccoli, carrots + SiS carbo power drink

followed at various stages since the inital phase with small portions of raisins, a bagel, banana, pancakes, peanuts and.....................CREPES and probably lots of craps later, haha

CARBO MAYHEM!!!

• Options
    WOW! That sounds good to me. I hope that its sitting ok on your stomach and your felling fully fuelled for the days ahead.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Haha, was lots of small portions Gareth not an all out eating contest.

Anyway weather looks "a little" more promising. Plenty of cloud around and even some showers later on but we'll be finished before they kick in. All the forecasts I've looked at have 18-20C as a high. Beeb has dropped its high from 22C to 20C so there's hope yet people. It may be warm but there's a chink of light saying it won't be hideous??? FIngers crossed.

• Options
    Good stuff RS! Yes i think i can safetly say I am getting enough carbs!

I live on carbs anyway so not much different to normal diet i must say.

Off to expo later too...Pix may bump into you!!
  • Options

JBFAR- Good advice about clearing garmin data, but how do you know how full it is?

Managed to shake the sore throat and runny nose, plenty of vit C and gargling with TCP. The whole house smelt like a hospital!

Trying to stay relaxed now. It's going to be a great day on Sunday and should be nice and warm when we are wandering around after the finish.

RS- might see you at the start, you are on the GFA too I think.

• Options
    John-on my garmin it sometimes says laps nearly full and has an option to delete old history- i'd do it anyway just in case
    Glad you are feeling better

Just watching the beeb and they had a bit about the marathon on there- with some presenter training for 6 weeks for it!!

weather looks sunny and rain now...i think they may just be covering all eventualities as they know everyone is looking at Sunday!!

• Options

7am did 4m easy,wish i wore my gloves

JBFAR,everyone good luck,see you.

• Options

6 weeks- hope they don't break 3 hours.

Sorted the garmin, just kept the last 3 months- hard to let go of all those miles.

• Options

Hi Christina - well nearly there now, I went to the expo yesterday, it was very good, glad to hear you are picking up your number today, they are forcasting showers on Sunday, but like you say what we be will be, can not control it so no point worrying about it !

I will be in London on Sunday at halfway and at the Raddison afterwards, what colour vest are you wearing and what is your number ?

Remember, Relax,Relax,Relax !

Good Luck to everyone on Sunday !!

ENJOY!!image

• Options
    Good luck all. On way to London, will be going to the expo later this afternoon...

I hope you all have a great day and walk away with good memories and results...

I'll be at red start, near the. Sub 3 pacers..

Good luck to all !!!
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone, I've enjoyed the build up on here over the last few months!

Heading down to my friends in Blackheath tomorrow to chill there before the race.

Running from blue start pen 1, wearing a blue adidas vest with yellow trim and have "ROB" in white letters on the front, black shorts and sunglasses. Come and say hello if you see me at the start or finish image

Cheers,

Rob....and good luck again.

• Options

VLM Expo Day 3 - Lots of talk about the weather today at the Expo and how the weather will affect your performance. If it is a hotter day then you will almost certainly sweat more than you would usually. Drinking additional fluids will help to maintain your hydration status and stop you getting dehydrated. Ideally you need to match you sweat rate, however, if you have not calculated that yet then around 500ml per hour should be sufficient.  

The Lucozade Sport on course and other sports drinks you consume on the day will be vital as they also contain additional electrolytes (the natural salts you lose when you sweat) which you need to replace. A sport drink should contain 50-80mg sodium per 100ml, this amount should be sufficient to replace the salts you lose when you sweat and ensure the drink is palatable.

• Options
    To ensure that you remain hydrated and fuelled during this year’s race the following is going to be available on coarse: 

Lucozade Sport Body Fuel (orange) 330ml bottle at miles 5, 10, 15, 19 and 23 =

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/479052/Gallery/330ml.png

Lucozade Sport Carbo Gels (orange) at miles 14 and 21 =

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/479052/Gallery/Carbo_Gel.jpg

... and Nestle Pure Life Water 330ml bottle every mile from mile 3.
  • Options

Been and done the expo. Great to be finally down here at last. Forgotten what a"challenge" it is negotiating rush hour crowds on the tube.

I'm at red FGFA start, white vest with turquoise stripes at side. Def in shades and poss cream Nike cap. Number 32145

Looks like weather not going to be too bad - even though they're playing it up majorly on the news !!

BBC reckon 12 deg in morn at 10am slowly rising to max of 19. Also some rain - huzzah !

All the best to everyone

• Options
    im knackered!! Day in London = very tiring!

Expo was good and great to see Lucozade peeps and Gareth who printed me off a nice personalised pace band to the second! Go see that for yourselves if you haven't already been!

Im in pen 1 red start!! number 51376

ill be wearing a white vest with Christina on the front and super 6 on the back. do say hello if you spot me..

Been carbo loading all day so all good. Just need an early night now.

Havent packed yet but not heading up till 3 ish so got all morning along with a 20 min run.

I just can't believe the day is nearly upon us!!! seemed ages away and now it's here! yikes.

I guess I won't be on the computer much now like everyone else...So best of luck everyone...dig deep and relax at the start like paul said.

Let everyone know how you do when you get back on the computer- will be great to share stories and compare notes.

Good luck y'all x
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

JBFAR - Would I be right in saying that your previous marathon run was referred to on the telly this evening?  A young lady dressed as Supergirl was on The One Show saying she was going after the superhero record of 3:1x (3:13 wasn't it??)

Anyway, you've left the cloak behind now and you're a faster runner.  All the very best for Sunday to you.  I'll look out for you.  Go get 'em!  imageimage

• Options
    no way!! missed that.. will look on i player..must of been me!3.13.13...

Thank you...hopefully will still have them super powers
  • Options
    Hi all, a final good luck to all. I'm at red start pen 1, number 48734, White addidas vest with blue and hi vis stripes. Will be stuck to the sub 3 pacing group.

Jbfar: I hope you get your goal as you've worked hard and overcome loads. Be positive in the mind and the body will follow. Will say hi if I see you and if I can talk!! Have a great day and good luck..
  • Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Gareth

Many of the elite marathoners finish the marathon having lost up to 8lbs of weight and typically consume about 200 ml per hour.  Are you suggesting that if they had drunk to replace the fluid they lost they would have run it faster?

What is the scientific reasoning behind everyone else replacing all fluid lost and dehydration's affect on performance?  Or is it for health reasons you recommend this?

What is the factor of key importance - is it total sodium levels or sodium concentration of the blood?  If it's sodium concentration then that must go up during sweating surely and consuming water / sports drink (of less than blood concentration) would decrease that concentration further? 

Sorry for all the questions, but am genuinely curious.

Good luck on sunday everyone.

• Options
    Well i went to bed early but didn't sleep at all well...a small 26.2 miles playing on my mind a tad...Least i rested my legs though....

Good luck again everyone...