Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    Lots of snow here so not sure running outside will be an option. If not getting to the gym is the tough bit - I hate driving in snow and iceimage
  • Options

Morning All

WEll down on getting in Rio shame you'll be finishing soon image

Snow not too deep here so headed to the park afterr being woken up by maintenance people to sortout our damp at stupid o clock this morning thought I might as well make use of it managed 3 lovely snowy miles but headed home after that as thought anything more would be tempting fate now sat at home with a nice cuppa- bliss!!!

Only downside is that by going out I have seen that the buses to work are running fine so no excuses for me for my late shift.......

Happy safe running all

• Options

Morning All,

One very unhappy runner here.  Was looking forward to getting started and now come down with a nasty chest virus.  Coughing and spluttering everywhere.  I'd allowed myself an extra week to account for illness, but didn't think it'd be the 1st one!

I get the impression that running and bugs has come up already on this thread, but don't fancy scrolling through 17 pages!  Please can anyone let me know what the advice is regarding starting running again after a virus - when, and how hard?  Thanks a lot.

Mark

• Options

Im very happy with my week so far image

Mon - 2miles slow
    Tue - 1hr Kickboxing
    Wed -3miles slow (on the treadmill a we have a little bit of snow in kent)

and the rest of the week will be -

Thurs 1hr Kickboxing
    Fri - 6mile run
    Sat & Sun - Rest (as I'll be at work)

hope you are all Fit & Well

• Options

Great running Rio. Daughter struggled in to work too, and has phoned to say she will probably be sent home at lunchtime. As you can guess we DO have snow now, but our little pocket of Hampshire still hasn't got all that much. Only a centimetre or two on the ground. 10 miles in any direction and it's a different story. Managed to fall over in the garden when taking out bird food, so can't see that running is an option, and no gym accessible either. image

At times like this I could do with a treddie. Nearest pool is 6 miles away too, so not really an option either at the moment.

Get well soon, Scuba and Fatface.

I have the Salisbury 10 in my diary, but haven't entered yet. I intend to do the Stonehenge Stomp (LDA event open to runners too), and have entered the Meon Valley Plod on 28th Feb and Mad March 20 on March 14th, which will give me 2 x 20 miles in company.

• Options

as well as the grizzly I'm doing the rhyader 20 and the san domenico 20.........all in march.........so my 3 long runs should be sorted with company........

I'm still in my pyjamas and haven't moved the treadmill yetimage

• Options

SR: Rest while you have a virus and make sure you have one clear day where you feel your usual self again before you start running again. When you start back do a week of easy running, starting off with some shorter runs and building on the time you can run for. After a week of this you can start to introduce some pace again.

We have had a sprinkling of snow! Finally! Not much though!

Oh, and if choc orange rios work then spread the word! lol

Liz
  • Options

Glad you're on the mend Liz

Lol Serenimage

Scuba Runner the best thing you can do for a cold is ignore any adivice I come up with!  Hope you feel beter soon

Great Diana, hope you can make it

Good stuff Vik and well done Mark.  I thought Kent was usually the next place to close after Snake Pass and the Cat & Fiddle road!

Got a big bucket of snow here now, but the roads look clear so fingers crossed for tomorrow's run.  The chooks aren't enjoying it, they refused to come out this morning, then when I cleared a path to the house they marched down it and are now forming a noisy, fewthery picket line outside the door.  I'd love to let them in, but probably not the best idea with a cream carpet....

• Options

Thanks Liz, much appreciated.

Lol Hashette and thanks

• Options

Morning All,

One very unhappy runner here.  Was looking forward to getting started and now come down with a nasty chest virus.  Coughing and spluttering everywhere.  I'd allowed myself an extra week to account for illness, but didn't think it'd be the 1st one!

I get the impression that running and bugs has come up already on this thread, but don't fancy scrolling through 17 pages!  Please can anyone let me know what the advice is regarding starting running again after a virus - when, and how hard?  Thanks a lot.

Mark

• Options
    Apologies didn't mean to post the message above for a second time, but my stupid cat has just walked across the laptop keyboard, caused chaos, and somehow managed to post it again.  Not a clue what he stood on to do that - LOL! image
  • Options
    If you think that's bad SR, you should see what he just sent out by e-mailimage
  • Options

Scuba - the lurgy seems to be abounding. Some say no running, some say running helps clear the chest...

I think that if you feel up to it, small trots are OK but serious training ?mmm...

If you have a temp then definitely not.

Try inhaling few drops of tea tree oil in hot water, over bowl with towel over your head.  Breathe in deeply and hold breath for a few seconds then try and inhale just a tiny bit more.

Hi Hash? Has the snow got you yet?

• Options

Yesimage

But the roads look clearish so fingers crossed for tomorrow's 4 miler.  If all else fails there's an off-road route about a mile away that I could probably shuffle to slowly as a warm-up, then run up and down twice.  I did think about buying a treddie for all of a nano-second - or more accurately until I had a look at the state of my bank account.  In theory it's a good idea, I could set it up in the shed, stick the computer in there and watch all sorts of dreadful old pooh downloaded from I-player that Blouse hates whilst hoofing away the miles.  In practice I know it would never get used again as oon as the snow clears, so would be a monumental waste of money.

• Options

My thoughts exactly.

Look at it this way: excellent stability exercise AND good for mental strength too.

I was fine when running in the snow today. Fell on my ar$e when walking dog. *walks away shaking head*

• Options

Hash - LMAO!  I wouldn't put it past him.  He's an evil genius in the cunning disguise of a cute furry moggy!

Spinkletoes, thanks for the advice.  Feeling pretty rough so decided to give myself plenty of rest until weekend, and perhaps try a gentle trot on Sunday.  All being well I'll join in at week 2 fighting fit again.

• Options
    Hashette wrote (see)

Yesimage

But the roads look clearish so fingers crossed for tomorrow's 4 miler.  If all else fails there's an off-road route about a mile away that I could probably shuffle to slowly as a warm-up, then run up and down twice.  I did think about buying a treddie for all of a nano-second - or more accurately until I had a look at the state of my bank account.  In theory it's a good idea, I could set it up in the shed, stick the computer in there and watch all sorts of dreadful old pooh downloaded from I-player that Blouse hates whilst hoofing away the miles.  In practice I know it would never get used again as oon as the snow clears, so would be a monumental waste of money.

ashette I love your enthusiasm, you are right that treadmill would soon be redundant. I today joined the local gym untill the VLM and did a 10K treadmill run, I kid ye not I found it  a lot harder than running outside on roads/trails. However this naff weather seems set in for a while and I will do x training in between running days so I hope it will be beneficial to me, they have a seasoned marathon runner working there too so I guess I can pick his brains as well. I  look forward to the LSR Sunday unless its really bad I will be out and stick to main roadsimage
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    I can't run outside and I can't get to the gym - boo hoo! I will have to do weights/core instead, but am worried about getting any running in this week...
  • Options
    B wrote (see)
    I can't run outside and I can't get to the gym - boo hoo! I will have to do weights/core instead, but am worried about getting any running in this week...
    plenty of time yet nooooo need to panic image
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    image it's funny how I am only bothered about not running when I can't - usually I am happy to be lazy, but from 4th Jan was supposed to be a fresh start and I'm eager to get going...ah well, must get the weights and swiss ball outimage
  • Options

Wot Rod said B

Treadie running kills me, I get too hot/bored/fill in the excuse but whatever I can't do anything like the mileage I want to do outside.

I will run tomorrow no matter what, as I'm on leave so it's one of the few chances I get to run in the light on a weekday.  It may not be quick, and it won't be long (as the plan dictates), but judging by the stupidly wide grin of the Beeb's weather woman this morning, it's a case of JFDI whilst I can.

Have you noticed how happy weather people look when they've got some seriously foul weather to forecast?

• Options

I also am not a great lover of treadmill running but hay ho that was all i could do today, I love the snow but i would love it to go away maybe come back once the london marathon is over. arrrrrr i need to get outside the heat the oh so great view of a mirror is oh so dull.image anyway congratulations on to everyone who has started trainning well done hope you are all enjoying yourselfs x

Oh I agree with Hashette the weather people need to start trainning like us maybe then the smile may be wiped away hehehehe

• Options

Hash I'm glad its not just me regarding treadmills that 10k today seemed to take forever and I was so hot.

I will do my 5 miles there Friday but sunday its the streets for me again

Why is it the weather people always get the bad news right  image

• Options

Dead chuffed with my run today ... decided a 5 mile tempo was seriously out of the question, so just set out for a plod and did 4.5 @9:45, not bad considering the state of the paths.  Think running the next couple of days will be out of the question once it gets icy & slippery ... today it was just lovely running thru soft virgin snow.  A snow run, rather than a slow run image

Rio, seriously impressed by your efforts to get into work.

PP, thanks for doing those calcns for me, will take note in case I need it for later in the week, altho the idea of 8k on the treadmill is enough to send me running in the opp. direction.  Am feeling seriously peed off that my poss. trip to mates house nr. Alicante didn't come off, as tho it's not hot or sunny (wet and 12 deg) it's not cold and snowy either, ideal running conditions.  She was planning to fly from Manchester Airport tho, so I may have had a lucky escape...

• Options
    Pixie I was only talking about that today I was 5 then we never saw our playground at school for must be 2 months the snow was so deep, we were never sent home once and never missed a day going through bad weather.all this H and S now where will it end............
  • Options
    Liz Yelling wrote (see)
    Rest while you have a virus and make sure you have one clear day where you feel your usual self again before you start running again. When you start back do a week of easy running, starting off with some shorter runs and building on the time you can run for. After a week of this you can start to introduce some pace again.

Thanks for the advice Liz. I'm feeling much more human today, so am off out for a little plod tomorrow evening as long as the pavements aren't too slippy. Will take it easy on my LSR this week too, just to be sure that I'm alright.

Well done to everyone who managed to get out for a run today. Today was supposed to be my cross training day (Body Pump followed by some nice relaxing Body Balance), but a meeting overran at work and I missed them both. I don't expect I was ready to go back today though, so it was probably for the best.

Hope everyone with coughs, colds & flu are feeling better very soon image

• Options

Don't start to worry yet if you can't get out running, it takes over 10 days of rest before you start to loose your fitness, so the odd day here and there for a week will not make a huge dent in your fitness levels. Hopefully the weather will pick up soon?

Liz
  • Options

Morning all

Hope so Liz.  Are you managing to run in this, or are you lucky enough not to have snow?  A mate in Plymouth says she's got no snow at all, but the schools are still shut and her hospital appointment has been cancelled!

Hope the coughs and colds are on the mend.  Blouse seems to have re-caught the cold he gave to me, spent the night on the sofa coughing and (bless him) freezing his bits off with the heating switched off as he knows it keeps me awake.  Thankfully I persuaded him to go back to bed, and hopefully he's actually getting some sleep now

So, four miles then.  Cars seem to be moving at normal speed on our road, so fingers crossed.  Good job it's not speedwork!  Good luck to anyone who's attempting to get out there today