Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Bodyfuel hot toddy thats sounds like a runners dream. lol

Hash: How is the knee at the moment? Oh those running shoes look awesome, but you are right, as soon as you get them the snow will be gone!

Enjoy the rest and take care getting out on those roads.
  • It's grumbling Liz, but then I did 5 on it yesterday in the snow, was pretty tense in case I fell over, so probably my own stupid fault.  Again.

I've been icing it and doing all the exercises that Emma gave me, but I need a quick fix, if such a thing exists.  Off to see a physiotherapist at lunchtime, who's qualifications are  PhD, Dip.PT, BSc, MSc, MCSP and she's a marathon runner and triathete to boot, so if anyone can sort me out once and for all, she sounds like she fits the bill.

Go carefully Lucy

• A pretenders song springs to mind:   Got hand......in pocket.

All this is costing me a small fortune.  Remember the days when we all first took up running and decided it was a cheap way of keeping fit?  Just buy a decent pair of shoes and head off out there.  Yeah, right......image

• Those grip things look good Hash.  I did another 10 miles very slowly in the snow yesterday.  The first and last mile or so was pretty much all walk as it was sooooo icy on the pavements but by the time I got to the lanes it was better.  Took 2:30 which was surprising seeing as I did have to walk 3 miles.  Horses were comfy in their rugs so I can relax a bit.  My trail shoes are a godsend as they seem to deal with most stuff.   My legs felt like I had done 20 miles though!!!!!!

Thought about running to work again today but once I got off my drive and the estate the roads were ok.  So sitting in work in my kit just in case!  At least if it snows again and I get stuck I can just dump the car and run.  And if it doesn't I can go out and do a couple of miles when I get home.

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Morning,

I have run!  Well, as much as you can in deep snow and on ice.   It's so lovely out there, through the woods and snow.  I love the muffled silence.

I was v-e-r-y slow and only did 2.75 miles but then it's my first run for 3 weeks since the flu and I kept stopping to admire the surroudings.   Just pleased I got out. 

I'll try a longer run on Sunday.    I'm not sure thought at this rate that I'll be fit to do Watford Half, I don't think I'll have got the miles in.

• Good running Rio.  I'd love to put a blanket over the girls, but have to keep reminding myself that they're birds, their bones are hollow and they can cope with the cold.  Judging by the angry pecking at the patio doors, they disagree!

Really glad to hear you're on the mend Sezz.  How's the back?

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    My back is still unusually sore (although hurts more when I'm not running).  Fat Face suggested it might be the hip flexors so I've been doing lots of those stretches.
  • ooh yes, hot bodyfuel - you have the added bonus of having a mini hot water bottle strapped to your back when you get out there and are cold, it cools as you warm up.  Right, you've persuaded me, LSR today then, that's after I've finished work, made DS a birthday cake, shopped for 7th birthday party tomorrow....  Ouch! Why don't running schedules take these things into account?
  • just done another treadmil session.............the kids were all shivering under blankets because I had the windows all open to try and cool me down..I was still sweltering..........

Rio if you want to go off road tomorrow let me know and i will come with you.......but you sem to have done a few miles this week already..........

• Hash, a RW poster I know (and have actually met!) lives in Canada, and he definitley mentioned running with those Yaktrax. He runs down a frozen canal in the winter, so it seems they work well.

Fantastic run from Rio - a running buddy and I are definitely planning a longe rone on Sunday, now that both week-end races that were scheduled have been cancelled. I'll examine my shoes for maximum tread!!

Sezz, really pleased to see you managed an outing.

No chooks here, but the wild birds are keeping me busy - feeders get emptied in less than a day!

• Morning all,

Just got back from work its a fine day but still icy, another trip to that damm gym later I hate treadmills image

I do feel maybe I have done the right thing going down this route if the weather is going to continue like this, Sunday looks like more snow so tomorrow I  do my LSR outside, can't wait, I almost prefer the cross trainer to that treadmill  grrrrr. good luck to those running outside take care all.

R

• Morning all

Wow Hash that looked like a great run yesterday- but boo to the snow up to the 21st I'm meant to be going on holiday on the 21st and I'm n cheapo staff tickets so we're on standby- eeeekk hope they don't shut gatwick again I NEED some sun!!!

Good running everyone, I've not been out since my snow run as work has been pretty mental but hoping to go out Sunday morning- mean't to be intervals but will have to see if I can find a suitable surface as I'm really paranoid about slipping and ending all hope of completing the marathon! 

HAve 4 days off at the start of next week so hopefully can get some decent runs in then!

Take care all

• well done on your snowy run Hash, and thanks so much for the knee info. I really need to make more of an effort to do a bit of stretching, I'm very lazy about that. I'm going to try a run tomorrow - fingers crossed for the knee image

Scuba - I'll see you at Straford then! it was my first mara last year - I loved it although I really struggled after 20 miles, but that's to be expected I spose, so this time I'd just like to see a bit of improvement and closer to that lovely 4:30 image

• Hi all

Just a quick reminder  that Nick Morgan (Lead Sport Scientist at Lucozade Sport) will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about nutrition.

We've opened the debate a little early so post your questions for Nick now so he can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Catherine

• Well, we had fresh snow today so I went out for a 3.5mile run in my trail shoes when I got home just to see if I was better yet. I am image  No problems with grip,  which was suprising. I think it really helped having a fresh layer of soft snow over everything though and the sun has been shining ever since, melting the slippy bits. Was quite shocked at the pace, which was 09:17 image. Thought it'd be much much slower than that.

Mind you, I went past the school at chucking out time and the kids were all throwing snowballs at eachother, so I accelerated considerably at that point. Hmmm, wonder if I can put it as a speedwork session? image

Hoping to get out again tomorrow & then Sunday for a LSR. Was planning on a local XC race but it's been cancelled. Rubbish!

Hope you're enjoying your rest day Hash and that your knee is behaving

• Greetings from my less than comfortable seat on a tennis ballimage

Much relief.  I have a nasty case of runner's knee, but overall it's good knews.  The triathlete physio woman was fabulous she not only pointed out all the same imbances as the osteo had, she did a thorough diagnosis and told me why I've got this problem.

First, I shouldn't have used a wobble board.  Yes they strengthen ankles, but there's so much else that's out of line, that that was what tipped the knee over the edge.  Second, the kneecap is being pulled out of line because I have  stupidly tight  ITBs, hamstrings, glutes, you name it, thanks to years of running and inadequate stretcthing.  The VM muscle that's supposed to pull the patella back into place  has basically switched off.  I've been in this state for years, and whilst the wobble board pushed me over, it was only a matter of time before this happened.  Better now than later in the training programme.

Ironically everything she diagnosed was the same as what Emma from Lucozade had guessed by e-mail without seeing it!

Okay, so it sounds bad, but actually it isn't.  I'm facing forward, know what to do to put it right, and best of all I can still run, just need to ramp it down a bit in the short term, do the exercises she's given me (rolling around on a rolling pin to do the ITB hurts like feck I can tell you) , ice like the snow queen, and replace some of the shorter runs with sessions on the bike in the gym for the next couple of weeks.

Phewimage

• Oh dear!!! At least it's not going to hamper you training though, which is the good thing. Just make sure you keep up with those stretches image
  • I am. And they hurt!

Apparently she's already been sworn at this year, but not kicked. Not that I kicked her either, but at that point I became conscious of what my left leg was doing whilst my eyes were closed when she was attacking my ITB.image

And I paid for this?!image

• Hi Hashette, yes pay to be tortured great eh image  Still you have seen someone who obviously knows her stuff and has a good knowledge of running too so really it's all good.

So it's the gym for you too , I guess you should start to see how it is after a week or two on the new regime,good luck I'm sure it will be fine.

• C'mon Hashette, do what you're told so you can toe the line with everyone else on April 25th. I'd have been surprised if all of us managed to get to London without some sort of mishap so if this is all that's going to occur then do your exercises and S T R E T C H girlie!

One in, all in remember image

• Hash, it sounds as though you will be running better and stronger soon, with less risk of injury, so quite positive really.

Just back from a fabulous run in the snow with head-torch. 16 members of my club turned out. Slow but useful 5.05 miles at 10:51 pace, and didn't slip at all!

• glad your feeling better..............its a good pain not a bad pain so can be quite enjoyable in a way..............thats what I tell my client anywayimage

Ended up walking 6.5 miles this afternoon so my legs are feeling shot but hopefully will feel better for tommorrows long run

enjoy the longer runs tommorrow all who are goingimage

• Hash - you're got a plan. A girl needs a plan. You know what the problem is and you know the solution. Knowledge is power.

I think it's a bit of a wake up call to all of us about stretching - well, all of us wot don't stretch, that is. Am on a rest day tomorrow but will attempt to have a bit of a bendy session. (you'll hear the cracking over there)

• We're amazing, us lot, aren't we? Talk about battling on regardless!  Well done to those that ran and thanks for all the lovely, positive comments.  It will be fine, I just want it fixed NOW!!!!!

MM whatever else we do or don't do, we all have to meet up on the start line so that you can give us one last pep talk to carry us through the next 24 miles.  Our feet will have wings for the last stretch after the underpass. 

Meanwhile keep 'em comingimage

• x-post Lucy it's the post-run stretching I'm bad at, especially in this weather.  I tend to run after work, so get back to the car and it's a quick token shuffle before stuffing my legs under the dashboard.  Bad idea.

Sports massages are something else I avoid because they hurt.  Not any more, I'm booking my mate Chas from Royston Runners to give me regular hell between now and the end of April.  He hurts on a scale that the physio can't even begin to compete with - it's his wife I feel sorry for though, as all my yelling, screaming and effing floats out of the door into their living room!

• And still no sunshine!  Treadmill again for me tonight. 

Good luck with the knee Hash, I'm sure it will all come right.  I love paying for a painful massage - feels great afterwards.

• Good luck with the "therapy" Hash.

Jenni - it's a date. LOL!  My only concern about doing Stratford was the 2 lap thing.  Is it an issue?  Mentally think I'd rather run 26 different miles, but in reality does it really make a difference?

Virus nearly dead now.  One more day off and then a nice slow LSR in the cloud and light sleet - nice!  To be honest I can't wait, need to get out and just run!.  I'll make sure I have a good stretch after though.

• Know that feeling SR!

Cheers Lou, hope you had a good one.  More snow forecast for us tonight, so it looks like the gym for me tomorrow, which will involve driving to work a day before my holiday officially endsimage 

Thank gawd for i-pod to drown out whatever ghastly thumpy bilge they're playing in there with something with a little more ooomph.

• got my long run in today ....it was lovely with the snow and ice...I managed 9.1 miles and had the company of rio for around 6 of those which made the miles go faster...........she did say that I would have to go slow for her as her legs were tired but I struggled to keep up with herimage

If i can get out for a slow run tomorrow i will have managed to do my 5 runs this week despite the weather etc.......

• Quite an achievement, Seren. Only 3 this week for me, unless I fit in a short one today......................

Hope the gym session goes well, with your choice of soundtrack, Hash.