Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options
    One last question before the little run we have to do today

How many immodium do I take this morning and when do I take it?
  • Options

I take 2 while waiting around at the start and put 2 in my pocket in case

Hash - believe me once you've met LB you'll know you've met her!

• Options

Mark is it just prevention or is it cure? 

I can only go by what I do, but timing wise take it now - it will last you through to the finish. 

I'd say just take one if it's only for prevention, the down side of it is that it dehydrates you, and you don't need that if it's going to be a warm one.  I can always top you up at mile 17 if you need it

• Options
    Ooops, x-post.  Collective wisdom of group 7 - take 1 ish or 2 ish thenimage
  • Options

thanks

see you at the end xx

• Options

Well done Pinks and Rio great times. .....image

Enjoyed the Expo Saturday and to make it even better had a short chat to Liz.. What a great lady. hope she gets fit again soon and we get to see her around the country running well again..

Don't forget friendship last after the VLM... "It is good to talk"

• Options
    hash and Bridget you don't know how good that was to see you today - I ran mile 16 the fastest because I was chanting to myself 'seeing Hash in a minute' and so kept me going! That was the best and most emotional hug I think I have ever had......thank you sooooo much both of you for being there and for all your love and support.

I ran every step of the way (a first for me) and came in at 4:31:23 a PB by over half an hour so am absolutely delighted! No more marathons for me but will happily do any training runs with any of you doing it next year and be there for you, whatever you need!

Really would like to organize a post Mara thread celebration at mine - food booze and no running if you're all up for it? Date suggestions?

OMG I am on such a high I even fancy a run!!!!!

can we please stay in touch either on here or another thread or something as otherwise I will seriously miss you!!! Xxx
  • Options
    And my lovely hubby bought me an iPad as a present when he thought I wouldn't get home in time to run today which I am on now and it's totally amazing!!
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

pinks great time - well done! i did 4h40 which i was similarly pleased with - big pats on backs for both of us after a rather chaotic taper? enjoy the recovery!

hash - i did see you at mile 17 - but was being tended to by the lovely Abs from group 6 and brain was so addled I couldn't remember your name! hope you had a good day

• Options

well done Pinks - a great time and what a PB! imageimageimage

well done Gladrags image

I did 4:41 at Stratford - a little disappointed wiht the time - but I had a problem with my knee at around 15 miles and wondered if I'd even finish - it gradually improved and the last 6 miles were pretty strong - a PB and feeling great at the end- nothing to complain about image

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone and esp Pinks after your week. I thought i had posted but i dont think it worked...

I had a mare. I started to feel bad at mile 5 (and my pacing was perfect, there was no way i should feel bad at 5) awful at ten, dizzy and faint by 15. I saw my husband and friend, cried at 15 - they willed me on to go to 18. I totally missed 17 and Hash despite the fact i was walking and dying to see Hash and Bridget, not sure why i couldnt find it (must have been in a haze). I got 18 and almost passed out and ended up in st johns ambulance and had to pull out.

I really dont know why. I have done ironmans, half ironmans in 35-40 degree heat and Berlin marathon was 27 last year and i am fine in heat so its not the heat. There was no way I should have felt that bad so early on.

I cried when i pulled off and then i had to go and get my bag at the end and i blubbed when i saw people finishing. Really gutted BUT really pleased for all you guys that had a great race. Well done.

I have an entry for Berlin so i will pick myself up and dust myself off. I wont let this beat me... but I am gutted. I have never done so badly when i have been prepared. I have had a few bad races but they have all been down to poor prep. Hey ho
  • Options
    really sorry to hear that Pip image - at least you're OK now though
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jenni. I dont feel great but been to bed for a few hours. I felt a bit ill this morning but i thought it was just nerves. Weird
  • Options
    PipG - it's good to hear from you as I was wondering where you were.  It sounds as if you may be coming down with something.  As you say, put it behind you and head on to the next race xx
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I cant believe i missed the RW area whilst walking and looking out for you. I so wanted to see you image Thanks for doing so much for the whole group anyway. I really appreciate it and if i am not running next year, I will be a RW supporter.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that PipG ....... good to hear you are feeling a little bit better x

I Finished the marathon in 5:29 ....... had 3 huge blister on my left foot from mile 9, a blister the size of my sole on my right from mile 12 ...... oh and Ive just found out I've lost a toe nail....... what fun ehh........ very happy I gt round though

Obviously the 5 week rest didn't do me any favours, but 5 weeks ago I dint think I would run the Marathon at all

Well done all
  • Options

Oh Pip, I really really feel for you. Sometimes the bodt does weird things...

Oh Pip my dear, totally feel for you. Sometimes these things do just happen- you've totally got the right attutude, go and smash Berlin {{{}}}} 

Hash and Bridget! TOTALLY missed you at mile 17- I have no idea how, or what I was thinking, but was devastated when I got to 18.5 and realised it wasn't going to happen... Where were you based? I somehow missed ALL the Runners Wordl groups?! I think my head was funny in all the excitement.

My knee was bad from Mile 3 but I decided that I was absolutely determined to enjoy the day and powered on. Saw my family at mile 1 and 10, some friends at 14, 18 and 21 and loved every minute of the atmosphere. It was that that got me through.

The knee pain was somewhat distracted by the fact I lost FOUR TOENAILS during the race- I went to St John's Ambulance afterwards and there they all were, in my sock! I'm not allowed to get the dressing wet, so I'm about to head off to have my shower with plastic bags on my feet! image

Really picked up the pace for the last six miles, did 10.01 as mile six, through to 8:19 for my final mile, crossing the finish line in 4:51ish to see Natalie Imbruglia and Richard Branson having their picture taken in front of me- I got bundled to the side by a marshall!

Hope everyone else's day went well. I am absolutely thrilled to have started AND finished with all the injury dramas that have gone on since January, High as a kite image 

• Options

Oh no Mark, just saw your tonail post- peas in a pod eh? image

Well done on a great race though- put those feet up! image

• Options

Oh ((((Pip)))) I was wondering where you were.  So very sorry to hear it Hon, especially after everything you've been through in training.   Please do be an RW supporter next year if you' don't get in, it was a lifeline for me.  Also please do run another marathon.  You CAN do this, today was just not your day, but you can and you will.  Let me know which one and if it's within travelling distance of me I promise I'll be on the finish line to cheer your success

(((((Relaxed)))), ((((((Pinks))))), I held it together pretty well today all in all, but I have to admit lost it completely after both of you had gone through.  Happy tears though.  So proud of you Relaxed, and so good to see you home and running your way to a storming time, Pinks

Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
     can we please stay in touch either on here or another thread or something as otherwise I will seriously miss you!!! Xxx

Oh yes please.  Several of you, espeically Rod, Bridget, the lurking Twaddie, Kim, Pinks, Vikki, Relaxed, Suze, Pixie, Spinkletoes have been - I'm not exaggerating - sanity savers for me over the past few months.  I count you as real friends, not just people I chat to on a forum.  Those who I haven't met - I'm only not listing you because I'm crap and I'll forget someone - same goes and thank your for all your wise words and support over the past few months.   I'd quite like this thread to end in the next few days and to put the whole super six thing behind me, but only if we can find another place to chat.  Keeping in touch with you all is more important.

Birmingham and Bedford are both good for me, who's up for either or both?

The story of today could be a long one, so part two follows........

• Options
    Two x-posts.  Gemma, Mark, wish I'd met you today but especially well done to both of you.  Anyone can run a marathon when it's effortless, but when you have to really struggle, that's what makes a real hero.   Speaking of which, another marathon ramble needs to be typed, which includes another hero.  Her name is Pixie.  Part three follows
  • Options
    Im going to bed now and will catch up with more on here tomorrow......

Night Night all x x x
  • Options
    Pip, so sorry to hear that but take heart - another marathon will be yours. It has taken me 4 goes to get mine!!

Superb running Gladrags and relaxed how did you do? Anyone know about Rod?

I had a lovely bath with bubbles a candle and a book and just had a yummy tea a glass of vino and now a g and t is slipping down nicely. PLUS my gym is finished, TV and DVD up and just need to get the equipment in..............the bestest day ever!!!

Love you guys big time! xxx
  • Options

Well here goes, journey's end. Where do I start?

My day begain at 2am.  What's new?  Went back to bed several times with my brain fizzing, got up several times.  I was still awake at 5.30, had a sort of fitful micro-doze about  VLM, woke up finally at 6am and gave up on the sleep thing.  Here's to pro plus.

Got to Mudchute.  Loads of regular forumites are also mates who I meet up with several times a year, even if we are scatted all over the country, so that bit was easy.  There were a couple of wobbles when people were nice to me or said something sympathetic about me not running, then they got tears.  Afer I gave them stern words, though, and told them to be 'orrible to me, all was fine. image

Bridget had most of it sorted by the time I got there, so it was just a case of stuffing things in bags and hanging them up in order, ready for the runners when they came through.  I saw the elite women, nipped off to Asda for a wee, and by that time it had all started, the elite men and fast groups of main runners were coming through.

Christina (Just Back from a Run) bombed through in a league of her own looking fantastic. I missed Matchstick Man and Andy V, which was a shame, but they both did brilliantly so that's okay.  Saw Kittenkat storming past on her way to doing an awesome job pacing the 4 hour runners.  Hopefully she'll post the story of her run today, it's worth several pages in RW all by itself, but hers to tell not mine.

I had expected to lose it when Rio went through, but actually it was fine.  There were a couple of moments where I dissolved, but thankfully I don't think it showed until after the runners had gone, and having friends around me it really didn't matter.

Then came Pixie,  the woman who's done more to singlehandedly rescue my sanity than almost anyone else over the past few months, with the exception of Blouse.  Again, her story to tell.  Suffice to say that although Pixie won't see it this way, to me she's the real hero of today who will be an inspration to people she's never even heard of, let alone has never met..  Like I said, anyone can knock out a marathon when it's easy and it all ticks along accoring to plan.  Every single runner has had a day when, for no understandable reason, it's been hard going.  It takes real courage to dig deep, give it everything you've got, and get to the finish.

I've spent most of the past few months posting up significant bits of music, but I heard this today at a point when it couldn't have been more appropriate.  Here's to journey's end, and to every one of you who gave it your all today.  On on, my friends.

• Options

Another x-post!  Yep, Pinks,  Rod did a cracking run, I'll let him post the details.  Missed him in Chandos which I was really sorry about.  Rod, fab running mate, and keep in touch. 

It sounds bad to say I'll miss you first thing in the moring, but it's true!

• Options

Hi all Back now feeling pretty good just one blister nom chafing legs perfect. I was gutted to miss you guys at mile 17 really p.......d hey that's life, Pip I'm sad to hear you had t o pull out it was tough out there, I did good till 23 miles then although the wheels didn't actually fall off one came loose and a wheel bearing was noisy image However I finished in (unofficial) 4.27.39 felt pretty rough at the end and got checked out by the medics and sat for half an hour and was on my way no drama.

Chandos was sooooo busy I had a pint in Charing x station and went back to Blackheath. Well done all on your runs, Pinks I am really pleased for you after your travelling exploits we should get together all of us, this thread has been a great help and I have met some lovely people on here, thank you one and all.

I will download my results tomorrow I have an early start and don't want to fret about the last five miles which were slow  I need a nights sleep, what a day those crowds amazing.

I will give my thoughts on the day tomorrow.

Also I need to thank Rio for suggesting I take a rucksack to transfer the gear from the plastic bag at the end brilliant image

And Hash you are a true star xx

• Options

These are my results official looking quickly I would say a very slow last  2 K still I am pleased I stuck to the plan, you guys were a massive influence / help to me thanks again.

Name Goodwin, Rod (GBR) runner no. 26721 cat 50-54 Split Time START TIME 09:54:10 5K 00:30:53 10K 01:02:20 15K 01:33:07 20K 02:03:47 HALF 02:10:29 25K 02:34:49 30K 03:06:06 35K 03:38:19 40K 04:11:50 Total place (total) 18207 place (gender) 14109 place (cat) 1045 finish time 04:27:36
  • Options

Great run Pinks, well done.  And congratulations to Gemma, Rod, Mark and anyone I've missed out.

Sorry it didn't go well Pip, keep smiling.

I was quite confident of a sub 5 at Stratford (just) but came in at 5:19.  It was hard, probably the hardest physical thing I've ever done, so warm and humid, with an energy sapping hill (twice!), but I ran a good race.  Nice even splits for the 1st half right on target.  Couldn't keep them up for second half, and slowed enormously, but amongst the runners around me I was the fastest.  Overtook loads, and the only 2 who overtook me I retook later on, so I did well, and I'm pretty proud of myself.  Also helped when I checked the Stratford thread and found that everyone was slower than expected, more walkers than anyone has seen due to the heat, and quite a few were fainting, being sick or in an ambulance!  So I didn't too bad really!

I would like to keep in contact also and am good for Birmingham Half.

Night all.

• Options

well done Scuba I must say my first Marathon proved to be really interesting tough indeed.

Stratford is I would say not an easy course you did well and should be proud of yourslf.

Night all image

• Options

Hi all well life goes on and I am off out to work well done again all, look forward to the posts later on have fun!

R

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi Hash

Just checking in to wish you all the best. Looking forward to running with you/watching you on telly at VLM2011. It just wasn't meant to be this year for you.

Gutted i missed you at mudchute. I must have been in some kind of lucozade infused coma by then!

Anyway thanks for er just being you (hilarious) and the very kind support and messages youve given me.

Top bird!