Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Pinks if you feel up to it then a very slow recovery run tomorrow will be ok.  I have often run better and quicker after the marathon.  But be prepared for it to hurt and if it does then stop.

I have just taken my training partner for a walk and very nearly broke into a short run.  Knee is ok now so think I will try a swim tomorrow and my spin class tomorrow night (though wont be going all out!)

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having immense problems trying to sit down, stand up from a chair and walk up and down stairs.  Seriously, I looked ridiculous and it flippin hurts!  My quads are hammered.

Rio, I couldn't even get up onto a bike, let alone do a spin sesh!

• Bedford Half is normally 2nd weekend in December... would be good to see you there Rio....Great organisation and a good course. yes there are a couple of hills but nothing you cant cope with.. Hope you recover well....

Pinks..... Take a nice walk over the golf course keep your fingers ready to enter for next year.

Rod... glad you did so well.

Hash...make sure you all keep in touch from now on.... What about a new thread   "Hash's running Club" or the like....

• Sezz - I've found that getting on and off the toilet can be more of a problem than chairs image
  • Oh and did anyone record the coverage?  My bl**dy sky box turned itself off in the middle image

I am happy to pay for it or to put money to charity if anyone has a copy.  Please pm me image

• Sezz I just had a bath and all I can say is i'm glad nobody else is home- getting out was not glamoourous so I can feel your pain!!

Anyone else eating like a hoover?  I wasn't really hungy last night but today I have eaten most of the contents of our kitchen including last nights leftovers image  Boyfriends sister and her partner got me bubbly so ging to enjoy that tonight with umb fish and chips as I REALLY fancy chip shop chips but at this rate i'll be having fish and a battered sausage I'm sooooooooo hungry!!!

Bedford sounds good as just checked the date and I'm away vising old uni friends for birmingham!!

Suze hope the toes are ok  I have just popped myblisters- sorry hash and sezz for showing you in chandos probably not the nicest thing!!  Didn't help that as i went in to get changed last night i stubbed my little toe on our bed- then realised that the whole of my little toe was one massive blister!  Don't know if i should of or not but they've gone now- won't share the details but you get the jist!!!

Hope everyone is starting to feel a bit more human- once again well done everyone and big big thank yous for the support over the last few months!!!

• I've just started to feel exhausted now... the buzz is giving way to feeling a bit weird image

Going to have a walk out to try and get my legs going. I've been sitting at my kitchen table working all day and need some fresh air I think.

Rio, impressed by you getting back on the exercise horse tomorrow- I think it will be at least a week before I regain proper use of my legs! 

• Hi all the nurse said my blister is ok, nor being a wuss but with diabetes one has to look after one's feet.

Been to the gym a very gentle 20 minutes on the x trainer and a gentle swim, it has really helped, the guy who did the coach trip recomemmended 30 to 40 minutes gentle walk on Grass today and a 20 minute very gentle run tomorrow before resting, maybe he is right.........

for anyone interested my garmin stats go thus:

6.20 miles 1.01.30 @9.55 av hr 127

5 miles   48.35 @9.43 av hr 130

5 miles 49.08 @ 9.49 av hr 139

5 miles 49.41 @9.56 av hr 144

4 miles 42.06 @ 10.31 av hr 140

1.45 miles 16.37 @ 11.27 av hr 134

total 26.65 4.27.39 @ 10.02 av hr 135

I could start to beat myself up over the last few miles, however it was new ground for me past 20 miles i seem to have come out of this relatively unscathed  and am proud of my achievment, everyone who took part should be proud in fact, I was looking at Hash's race day photos on FB, I am pretty upset I managed to miss it kept me going from around 14 miles and I bloody missed it  image

So folks the million dollar question should I do another I would like to get through the whole distance feeling ok not just 23 miles, I had to really focus and use every bit of willpower to keep me going, I thought at one point i may keel over but slowing the pace helped I lost of lot of time those last 5 miles,I have learnt so much from this.

Sorry about the long post me and my statsimage

• Some really fantastic race reports on here. WELL DONE to everyone even if you didn't make the time you wanted. So so sorry to hear you had to pull out Pip. Must have been heartbreaking for you. Fingers crossed for next year eh? image

I really stressed myself out because I was so far back (pen 8) that I was weaving in and out trying to overtake people and must have wasted so much energy. I can't believe how crowded it was, right up until about mile 20, when people finally started thinning out. I remember running along the pavement quite a lot at the start, just to get around people.

Time absolutely flew until we went across Tower Bridge (which was amazing!!!) and then the Isle of Dogs seemed to take forever. I knew mile 17 would be soon and was trying to remember what had been said about where Mudchute was. All I could remember was right after a water station on the right, so I stuck to the right hand side just in case. 

Hash & Bridget looked a little suprised to see me there, so I'm not sure if I was early/late, but I got my jelly babies & hugs and went happily on my way. 

I was supposed to visit Fetchpoint too, but by that time I'd hit the wall and just needed to keep putting one foot in front of another. Those last few miles were so unbelievably hard. It's amazing how you go from feeling fine to feeling horrific within a few minutes. Thank god I saw my friends at mile 25 screaming for me. They have a succession of photos from before I saw them to my face lighting up with a smile. It's amazing the difference it made and it carried me on.

The last 800m felt like 800 miles, but when I reached that corner and the 26 mile marker I knew I'd done it. My parents were watching on Red Button from home and saw me crossed the finish line. 04:03:32 was my official time. I'm absolutely over the moon!!

Anyway, please let me know where you decide to settle in a thread so I can join in. Would hate for this all to end with this thread. Reading everyone's stories along the way has been fantastic!

Kate xxx

• lostkat what a run faaaaaantastic image

I'm sure we wont all head into the sunset either.

well done Kate

• Lostkat!!!  Amazing well done you!!! image
  • Something I have just remembered which will probably stay with me forever was running over Tower Bridge with a woman who was running for Help For Heroes charity in memory of her husband.  I told her she was amazing and very brave.  She said not really and it was hurting.  I told her that my son is expected to go to Afghanistan shortly and she touched my arm and said "Bless you.  They are all heroes"   It made me blubber and still does!

So many stories, so many reasons,  one amazing goal!

• Well done lostkat!!

I've just got well and truely too big for my boots.  OH and me are planning on some tree removal in the garden and his parting words this morning were I could start cutting the tree down if I felt ok, ment in jest but wanting to prove a point I got the loppers out the shed and started cutting and quite quickly filled the green bin up with branches.  All ok untill I needed to loo and got stuck half way up the stairs, my legs just didn't want to move. 

So its back to taking it easy for the evening.

• Lostkat WOW!!!!! Fabulous time well done you!

Gemma I think I missed what your time was from earlier - how did you do?

rod I think you did amazingly given the last few weeks with an injury and I'm not sure many people feel ok even at mile 23 like you did let alone past that - reckon if you did then you would not have fulfilled your potential. I'm positive you will do another even if not London! Does anyone know of/can recommend another flat, not in warm weather marathon good for a pb? I'm sure I could improve my time a bit but not sure I could at London with the crowds etc and unlikely to get a ballot place again so would be on red start and find that harder still. Um, notice I am talking about another marathon after everything I've said about that being my last!!!

I'm now feeling weird too........is this post marathon blues starting??
  • my sister-in law is doing abingdon which apparently is good for pb's and she's thinking about doing the riveria marathon Nice to Cannes- I'm very tempted if leave levels at work allow- sounds dead posh doesn't it 'oh i'm running the French Riveria marathon'
  • Pinks, I've been feeling ropey all day, (on top of all the aches) .. I think it's a mixture of dehydration and knackerednes.  Gonna get an early night.

• Where is Abingdon? Ooh French one does sound posh! When is it?
  • Abingdon is full this year Pinks.  One I may contemplate for the future though
  • Well done all of those who managed to finish the VLM...the ups and the downs you have done it! Pinks- it was great to see you, looking so strong at mile 23 too!

So lovely to have met so many of you at the expo and to have followed your journeys on here! Maybe I will be mentoring one of you next year??

Hash, I heard you were a star helping everyone on the day and even jumping in to help out with some pacing! Well done! Now I hope your running continues to get better.

best wishes,

Liz
  • I have my fingers crossed Liz image
  • And Rod for sub 4 hour super six!!
  • Morning all, bit of a way to go yet Pinks image

The legs do feel tight today, I came down the stairs sideways this morning, the blister or what is left of it is hurting too but I got a half decent nights sleep, I think the PMD has now started to set in (post Marathon depression ) image

It would seem that what I experienced on Sunday was not unusual but one thing for certain, that is my aim if I do another tpo get round in around the same time and to feel a bit better at the end than I did in London. Not knowing is the worse thing in any challenge and now I know what to expect. That includes those massive crowds I knew they would be there but not in such numbers and with such noise!

How are we all today?

• Pinks  for super six sub 4hrs...
  • Morning all

Rod - every time you run a marathon is different, although your body kind of knows what is expected and your mind knows you can do the distance, it is a very different proposition each time.  There are so many variables!

The crowds this year both on and off the course were big.  On the course because there were slightly more runners this year and off the course because the weather was good.  On rainy days it is a whole other run entirely and the area round the docklands is a long lonely place in the wet!

I am good to go this morning.  Some minor stiffness but my biggest sore spots are a huge blood blister on the side of my big toe and the skin around my belly button!  This was because my belly bar broke on the morning of the race and so it didn't close I asked St Johns for a plaster to keep the bar in place.  Well I obviously reacted to the plaster in some way and have some lovely chaffed sore weeping bits where the plaster was!  Hurts like buggery so how people cope with real chaffing I will never know!!

• Rio a bad chafing is a killer, I actually think I have come out of my VLM experience ok, I use Bodyglide on some parts of me and Vaseline on others, I had been concerned previosly about this, the club vest I ditched in favour of a t shirt which I made out of the club long sleever as they want to do some new T's, I had a loose fitting one which worked fine, I'm dead pleased I did the marathon at least now it anwered the question so if I never do another one again at least I know I was capable and have the proof.

Fear of the unknown is much worse than the actuality of it!

• Pinks the Riveria Marathon is some time in November I think!!
  • Morning all - I've rung in work and took today off as holiday as I'm still a bit sore in the leg department.  Hopefully the sports massage I have got booked for this evening will loosen me up.

I have just been reading the other super six threds and am shocked at some comments people have made.  Why do people have to be so negative and downright nasty?

RIght - seeing as I've another day off I had best make the most of it.