Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Agree with that one RIo........the dread of the wall was worse in the mind than in reality though around the 19 mile to 21 mile mark hurt me I managed with the amazing support to keep going. I want more now, not sure of what but I have the big bike ride to do and the Great North for this year to look forward to.......think I will leave Bala to you pirates.......

Rob have you got accomodation sorted for the GNR?

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Anyone up for Berlin?  I entered a while ago.  Not sure if there are still entries but its a fab race.  Pancake flat, not much congestion and a good time of year (mid sept) so you can train through the summer.

I plan to be there again and this time, i will have something to prove.

Havent come down with a cold or anything so am genuinely baffled as to what it was.  As i said, i felt a little ill on Sunday morning but i was nervous and i felt fine at the start.  Really odd.  Am still feeling sorry for myself but so 100% made up and thrilled for everyone that finished and esp those who got PBs.

Bedford in December should like a winner.

• Gatton - bless you!! 

I really think the whole mental talking to i gave myself Sunday morning and refusing to think of the total mileage but breaking it down into little achievable chunks along the way - mini goals to reach - and focusing on those worked absolute wonders.  I played loads of mental games and tricks with myself too and the further I ran the easier it became.  By the time I got to 20 there was no way on gods earth I was going to walk , I was determined to run every step.

BUT as Rio says, every marathon is different and just like you can have a good run day and a bad run day sometimes you just can't pinpoint why or put it down to any particular reason.  I still need to work on the nutrition a bit but listening to particularly Rio and Rod I am a lot more conscious of that now and what i could improve on maybe.

Rod - PMD certainly setting in here too.............feel more than a bit loset without a scheduleimage

Sparkly, as you are not a million miles from me, what and where is your next  M?

• Pinkerbelle wrote (see)

I really think the whole mental talking to i gave myself Sunday morning and refusing to think of the total mileage but breaking it down into little achievable chunks along the way - mini goals to reach - and focusing on those worked absolute wonders. 

And that is I think why the marathon at the end of an ironman never seems as hard.  Because it is laps you are just focussing on getting that one finished and by the time you are on the last one it is just the finishline to go

Go out and do something different - off road running is great fun.  Or get out on the bike!

Or start looking at doing a 5k training plan now (even with no 5k planned - there are loads of parkruns you could target)

Plenty of things you can still be training for image

• Ha ha Rio..............me on a bike, I don't think so, they scare me to death and my balance is rubbish!!!  That would indeed be a challenge!

I like the sound of off road running though - there have been so many new roads/bypasses etc built (and ongoing) near to me that lots of new paths have been built and country walks/routes too that need investigating.  Nice for the warmer weather.

Re the parkruns do these continue on all through the year?  I've never done a 5k race before!!

• I am not sure.  They certainly go through the summer and well into the autumn.  Check your local one out and see

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I think the parkruns are 12 months a year.

Rio - I am with you on the IM marathon.  You have this sense of 2/3rds there.

• Cleaning my bike up this weekend to get the cycling muscles fit for the Gretna to the south coast ride......I love cycling on the routes round here as there is no road traffic on the Tissington Trail or Monsal Trail.....not sure on the route for our big ride got to work it out and try and avoid the traffic.

Hope all the muscles aren't too sore out there today......I feel abit worse than yesterday at the moment......going for a lunch time stroll to collect some charity money in a minute to get away from the desk.......

Going to enquire about some crawl swimming lessons next week when the bank balance has recovered, see where that leads me......image

• Mark I feel worse too!  More sore than stiff i think and I have a sports massage tonight which I am NOT looking forward to............anyone got a stick?
  • I got hit by Darth Vader at one point on the shin, that kills this morning.......... Bottles were a pain too, I tripped on a full one and nearly went over I went skating but managed to stay on my feet.  Which pen were you in Pinkerbelle and when did you get home? Sorry if I missed that as I left for home Friday early and dont have a blackberry....thanks.
  • Mark i was on blue start in Pen 7 - crossed the start about 9:54 i think.  I was running for a fair time near Darth Vader (although I guess there could have been more than one!) so I wonder if we were near each other?  What was your finish time?

I got home Friday afternoon, via Atlanta and Amsterdam!! 

• Hey Mark you will be joining the pirates at IM Regensberg then!! image

You two must have been very close the whole way.  It think I saw your back Mark at just before mile 3 but then you were gone and I wasn't going chasing anyone!

The blue start was a complete farce anyway.  In the end it didn't matter which pen you were supposed to be in so I don't know why they bothered in the first place!  To collapse the pens with 20 minutes to the start was just asking for trouble!

• Rio, within minutes of leaving you at blue start for my loo trip I remembered I hadn't given you a plaster for your belly bar, sorry.  Still, at least you can blame St Johns rather than me image

Still quite achy, tried to persuade Mr Thistle that with the aid of a YouTube clip he could indeed do quad massage, but he was having none of it.

Pinks, I've just come across this cycle ride in the autumn which seems do-able - about 50 miles.  And along the river too, just in case you didn't see enough of it on Sunday.

Parkrun - every Saturday 9:00am (9:30 in Scotland).  Excellent idea. There were a few cancelled in the bad weather during Dec/Jan, but otherwise it's year round.

Right, I'm off here, thanks all!

• Rio I agree re the blue start!  There were no marshalls at the pen entrances and 5 minutes before the gun people were queue jumping into the front pens! 
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I jumped in at the start. I didnt mean to, i was in the toilet queue and then the crowd started moving so i thought it might have started so I should get to the start, so i followed everyone in at the far left.  I turned out that i was right near the start and crossed in a matter of minutes.  I felt bad for all those fast runners behind me and kept to the side of the road, but somehow there were lots of even slower people in front of me.

It need to be manned better for sure.

• Um.......you know we were all talking about taking immodium before the race, well does anyone know how long it usually takes to 'get back to normal' so to speak?  I took 2 Sunday morning and I've not been since!!
  • Pinks too  much information image

I am feeling very pleased with myself to be honest, finishing that marathon was a big thing for me.

The quads are tight today so I will rest, training however will be resumed later in the week pointless wasting all that training, its onwards and upwards now.

i may take a look at the parkrun Saturday, I want to get some faster miles in again once I am recovered, the club nights do runs across fields which I will start next week, I want to do a couple of long runs a month, not stupid long say around 10 to 12 miles so If anyone wants some company let me know, I like a change of routine now and again.

• Drink plenty Pinks.  It can take a few days to get  back to normal and that is the reason lots of people don't take it unless they are really susceptable on long runs.  If you haven't had a problem in a 20 mile run then you aren't likely to get one on marathon day!
  • Do you think there is something wrong with me, I never needed the loo once the whole run Sunday, and although I did have tpo stop for a few breathers I never once walked for more than about 30 seconds, better do that and finish than carry on and keel over, all a good learning curve image
  • Hi all, breaking my usual 'I must read the whole thread' obsession to come in and read the last few days.  Really sorry that I haven't had time to keep up the whole way.  Some great stories!  Congrats to everyone, including those who didn't make their targets.  You've all got plenty to be proud of.  Seems conditions were not as great as they appeared on the surface judging by the number of people that struggled when they shouldn't have.

I wanted to say thanks to Liz.  Back when I applied to be a super sixer myself, I of course considered who I'd like to coach me, and of course I thought it would be really cool to have someone with Liz's record.  But I rejected the idea: I sort of expected she'd be coaching the elite end and wouldn't have a clue about ultra slow folks like me.  I was really wrong, she's given some great advice (here, at expo, on the application thread, to me, to others....), made me feel more of a real runner, and I've been really impressed how willing she's been to help everyone she comes into contact with.  She's also got an absolutely totally adorable daughter *G*  (The other coaches/advisors have been great too of course)

Hash, thanks for keeping this thread going this long!  Sorry I didn't get to meet you.  I'd meant to look for you at mile 17, totally forgot while I was talking to my group (8) and it sounds like you were probably already gone anyway!  Maybe another time.

Not sure if I'll actually apply to be a super sixer again.  Something to think about!  But the threads (especially Spinks in my case... but this one too when I had time for more than one) have been useful to me.  They've allowed me to hold a mirror up to my training and get a clearer look, even if I have continued to do my own sometimes wierd variations much of the time!

Was that all too gushing?  Sorry!

• Pinks- I'm so glad its not just me!!!
  • Hi everyone - not been on here since Feb. Did I miss anything?

Well done to everyone who done well on Sunday. Commiserations to the rest.

I've been off this thread as I realised that 4.30 was never going to happen and I didn't want to add to the misery that Hash was going through. After two good weeks of 30+ miles in Jan, I was ill and weak and lacking in energy for the next two months, and did a total of 60 miles in Feb and March, with my longest run being 7 miles. 

So when I should've been tapering, I was building up my miles. I managed 3 weeks of 20+ miles, two 10-milers and one 12-miler. Hardly ideal, but I couldn't duck out of VLM as I deferred last year.

I got away with it and did 5.12, a PW by 20 mins, but after about half-way there were so many walkers that if you wanted to run you had to weave in and out ,which was tiring and tiresome. But glad I did it.

• Good evening all, Hi Vicky
    I just thought I would pop in and see how things are going, and how everyone is feeling? I also wanted to take this opportunity to offer a (slightly belated) huge well done to everone else as well for their great efforts in this marathon campaign.  You lot have been a really inspiring bunch and I hope you are feeling rightly proud of your achievements. Vicky I know you would have rather been on the other side of the femce but I hope you enjoyed supporting on the day - it seems it was invaluable to so many people.
    For now - enjoy helping your body continue to recover and don't run again until you feel physically and mentally ready.

Emma
  • What time did you get Emma?
  • Emma thanks for your kind words how did you go?

We are all in the VLM  2010 Survivors thread now feel free to join uswe are "The Friendly Thread"

A few of us are out again, I actually felt pretty good the day after, struggled after mile 22 on the day but hey it was my first go at the distance image

• I clocked 5.05 in the end - slightly off target but can't complain for a first marathon!  I can certainly relate to all your struggles that's for sure...

Great that you felt ok the following day Rod, our recovery nutrition must have been excellent -  I only wish I could say the same.. Definately time to start capitalising on the post marathon fitness though - use it or lose it!

• Emma on the day I was drained I don't mind admitting I saw the medics after but half an hour and I was on my way, I did take on food within an hour plus I had an early start (0500) on the Monday morning! I have felt great all week to be honest, did a gym x train Monday and have done a couple of runs since, your tips and advice on Nutrition did help , Thanks again

5.05 is a great result you finished that is the main thing so you should be proud of yourself as we all are..

• Well done Emma, that's great.  Thanks for all the nutrition advice over the last 16 weeks.
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Well done Emma! Hope you got the marathon bug now image

Thanks for your advice with the nutritional side of things - I've struggled a lot with it but I settled on a gel at 0,5,10,15,20 miles with water as and when I wanted it. Carbo-loaded the day before at 7g/kg body weight and didn't hit the wall so really pleased. Drunk quite a lot of those protein recovery shakes Sun even and Mon and I think that helped too. I did 5:31 which I think is about right for me given the times of my 19/20 mile LSR's. Been for a couple of runs over the weekend and legs feel fine - wasn't expecting that at all! Definitely want to do another marathon. At least I know what to expect now!