Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

Comments

• Beanie - just thought I'd say that my 2 mile run yesterday was exactly the same.  It took me 26 mins in total and I felt like my legs had turned to lead. 

I too am desperately trying to dodge sneezes and coughs!!

• evening

can I join the wibblers please? After a few weeks of a more or less pain free left leg. A spin class and a couple of miles on the dreadmill this morning and it's moaning at me again! I do spin classes usually 3 times a week, today was the last one before the BIG day. Fingers crossed, it's just a worry niggle and not an injury niggle

Trying hard wrote (see)

Taper is a funny thing - it does strange things to our heads and bodies.  In the past few days I have had aches and pains in my hamstrings, calves, shins, knees - and even my big toe!  I am obsessively swallowing to check I do not have a sore throat, which is the first sign of a cold!  Everywhere I turn, people are coughing and sneezing.  This probably happens all the time and I am never aware of it...but it is just exaggerated at the moment!

Don't worry - you will be absolutely fine on Sunday!!!

wise words TH

• Thanks guys - feel a bit better now - and loving your theory EP - will take that one with me.  The heat is worrying me now though - but what can we do apart from prepare for it i guess....oh crumbs though!
  • Evening all

I am on Red start, number 48962 will be weraing VICTA charity vest (rainbow on front and back) with my name "Jaynie" printed on the front.

Really paranoid now..have sore throat and runny nose today...maybe hay fever..maybe cold?

• good idea about the rucksack Pix,

• Happy tapering People!

3 miles today and it went OK.  Lovely sports massage this afternoon, and now training complete.

Not impressed by this hot weather though, but what can we do.  I am also in a dither about pacing.  I tend to train by heart rate, so hoping this will help with my pacing choice if it is hot.  I keep telling myself it's your 1st, just enjoy it, but I know I'll still be beating myself up if I'm not doing sub 5 pace, but that's me! image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean Scuba image I'm trying to wean myself off "sub 5 mentality" because I know I'll give myself a hard time if I set myself up for a sub-5 then fail. I just want to enjoy it and be ready to enter another one soon!

My 3 miles went ok today so that's all my training done too image
  • Thanks for your words of wisdom Pixie Kim, I'll do my best to avoid rapping nuns!

• Glad I'm not the only one mitiog!
  • Morning everyone...still wibbling here!

• wibble and wobble, just don't fall down image

• Lady Sue -LOL! Hope to see you in London!

Pix - I know what you mean!

• EP

In warm weather you need slightly more liquid buut not excessively more. I find it helps me just taking small sips per mile and pouring the rest on my head - wearing minimum - keeping in shade where possible and getting the pace right but be prepared to adjust it and recalculate if it is getting warmer and you are starting to suffer more.

I disagree with EP over the walking if you are struggling. I think its fine as long as you use it positively as a rest and realise a 30 second walk may enable you to drink easier and then mean you run slightly quicker for the next mile and you can look forward to your next stop.

While its not for me, People have even broken 3 hours with a run walk strategy - 10 mins run, 30 secs walk

• Hi Everyone,  below is a message I posted onto Lucy's thread but wanted to say the same to everyone on here so have just cut and pasted it to save time.  I am sure there is an easier way to do it, but anyway please be impressed!

Sorry if I haven't acknowledged some of the very kind messages you have sent me regarding my mammoth trek but I have spent the past two days going backwards and forwards to the airport, ferry company, ringing hotels etc.

Anyway, all your good vibes have worked and I am pleased to report that it is back to Plan A.  I am flying into Gatwick tomorrow morning after all.  This was only decided about 5am.  I wasn't sure whether to take a chance on the flights and couldn't get through to the airline's helpline, so ended up going up to their desk in the airport to ask questions. Every time I needed to ask a question I had to travel back to the airport.

I have ended up a bit out of pocket as I couldn't get a refund on the hotel that I booked for the extra nights and the ferry and coach, but I wouldn't have got a refund on my flights either now that the disruption is over.  Was hoping to try and change my flight this evening so that I could take advantage of the hotel that I had booked but was told this would cost an extra £330! I am just so grateful that I will be getting over there and am not in the position of many others who have been stuck abroad, so not complaining.

On top of all the running around I also had arranged a coffee morning in work so had to get up extra early yesterday morning to bake scones and shortbread.  I felt like Sarah Overall!

Thank you again for your good wishes - I can't tell you how uplifting it was to see little 'good luck Mags' posts.

Mags x

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Glad you can make it Mags!  Not the ideal maraton prep - all that hassle but it'll be worth it on Sunday!
  • Hi,

Firstly nice to hear some good news about arriving in time for Sunday.

Secondly just more wibbling to be honest.  Last day at work today and off to the expo tomorrow.  Paranoid about the heat, but I have been reading and apparently the word on the street is not to start to fast.

I think I will try to drink little and often and not panic too much I guess it won't be very hot until midday and we be a bit way round be then.

Not sure I will get a chance to write anything again (although I will try to read as much as possilbe).  Wishing everyone the very very very best of luck and can't wait to read all the success stories on Monday.

I can't remember my number (starts with a 52 or 53) I am on red start with cancer research top on.  With my friend and her mym who are both running for Chase.

Thanks to everyone, for thier support and sharing thier experiences, it has made such a difference to me.  I will try to put my number on here before Sunday,

Best of luck again

C

• Hello all,  

Coming to you from a very exciting marathon Expo!

Kim how are you feeling?  I will have a proper catch up with you tomorrow but all looks to be under control, keep calm!

The thing on most peoples minds seems to be the weather, forcasting a warm 20 degrees at present.  As Steve says we just need to pay some more attention to ensuring a moderatly higher fluid intake than normal if this remains the case.  Don't over do it and 'panic drink'  - keep to the little and often strategy, just perhaps a little bit more, and little more often.

If I don't get the chance to pop back in before Sunday let me take this opportunity to say a huge GOOD LUCK and enjoy it to one and all, especially Kim who I'm confident will do us all proud!

Please pop over to the Lucozade Sport expo stand and say hi and our team are here to answer your last minute questions.

Emma x

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

Thanks Emma - will hopefully pop by to say hi on Saturday!

Getting really nervous now!

c slip - can i join the wibble party please????

• I went to the expo last night and have my number it is really happening.  Now i have a sore throat and headache it must be a wibble have been eating loads of fruit and oranges so if I have got a cold the vit c will kill it.  I have a pasta party at the hospice tonight (who we are raising funds for) and I really have to go and see a play afterwards otherwise I will have to see it tomorrow night and I could really use a night in tomorrow.

wibble

Have promised the weather gods some home made cakes if they decrease the temperature a bit but I don;t think they are listening.

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

((Sara))

I've been eating tons of fruit, taking multi vits and drinking that Vit C effervescent stuff and I too woke up with a sniffle.

Enjoy your past a party image

If the weather gods won't accept your cakes send me some!!

• honestly I wopuld bake for all of you if it was logistical I am a feeder by nature (including the ability to feed myself)!

Stop overdosing on the fruit tomorrow evening though you don;t want your digestion working overtime on sunday x

• Mmm, all of this talk of baking is making me hungry!

I too am a bit sniffly and sneezy and am eating lots of fruit at the moment so I'm sure it's just wibbling.

Mags- so glad to hear you're back to plan A in the end, I'm sure you'll be so much more refreshed for the big day. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Just popped in to wish you all (especially Pix) good luck for Sunday, looks like it's going to be a warm one but there's no point in worrying about the weather as it's beyond our control so just prepare as best you can for the conditions and don't go off too fast.

I fully agree with Steve re the walking, I usually walk through the drink stations so I can take my drink easily and in comfort

Scuba - I'm at Stratford too and it's usually warm there as quite a bit of the route is sheltered but plenty of drink stations.   Come and find me at the start if you want some company, I will be wearing visor, shades, 100 Marathon Club Vest and have lots of red hair.

Am really looking forward to reading all your race reports next week