Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

Comments

• Options

Sorry to hear that EP - reading a few threads and lots of people seemed to struggle a bit today. Difficult conditions?

You still did amazingly well throughout the whole process - well done!

• Options

Pixie, like Steve I'll leave you to tell it.  

Anyone can run a marathon when it's effortless and easy.  When it goes wrong, it takes a real hero to dig deep, find strength they didn't think they had, and battle through to the finish.  That's who you are.  

You have been one of the main savers of my sanity over the last few months, and as you know from what a complete stranger said today, you've inspired many runners who've lurked on here but never even had the courage to post, let alone do what you did today.

Please tell it like it was - mile by mile - as only you can.  It was bloody tough, but you did it.  You're amazing, even if you don't feel it.  You did it, and I'm so proud of you

• Options

Hi All

Slow and Old, or should that be "Faster than me and Old".  I realised too late yesterday that I had no idea what you and Jenni would be wearing.  If you saw a balding bloke in a bright yellow Lifeboats vest with Mark on the front, then that was me!

I managed 5:19:47.  Much slower than I wanted, but I found it really hard, I think the heat got to me.  However I ran a really good race.  Nice even splits right on target for the first half.  I couldn't keep it up for the second half, but amongst the crowd I was running in I was fastest, only 2 people overtook me and I re-took them, as well as picking off loads of others, so strategically a really good race.  So actually pretty proud of myself, even though it wasn't sub 5.

Thought the organisation, the marshalls and the locals were great.  Particular thanks to the girl with the hosepipe - most welcome.

And you're right that hill was a killer!

• Options

Hi all

Just a quick visit....struggled a bit in places yesterday..but made it. wil write a report later as I have to go to work today.

EP - as Hash said...you have been an inspiration. Thank you for keeping me going through it all. Well done, and be proud.

Slow and Old - well done.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi EP

Looking forward to your report later. As others have already said "no one tells it quite like you!"

Anyway as a newbee to this running lark I just wanted to personally thankyou for helping me through this process whether on the morale side or on advice/tips (of which there has been many). How you found the time to pop in on my thread (and all the others) as well as doing a great job on your own one showed incredible dedication. You are very essence of what this supersix was about and I salute you for it.

PS: If you do Reading next year give me a shout and I'll meet you on the starting grid.

Lastly, don't ever change. The world's a better place with people like you about. 

• Options
    Well done Scuba runner and everyone else...I did find it a bit warm in places and apart from the hill which I knew about thought the course was a bit more undulating in places than i was expecting but agree that the atmosphere was good and the organisation great too.  Did you get a massage afterwards its done my legs the world of good.
  • Options
    Kim, I saw you at the 25 mile mark yesterday - I was stationed near Big Ben watching the race and if you heard someone yelling "Go Kim!" it was me!!  Really looking forward to your race report.  Well done to everyone who finished, it was so inspiring to watch  image 
  • Options

Morning all!

So how are we all feeling this morning?

I am stiff and sore and stairs are not my friends at the moment!

Big well done to Slow and old (you will have to change your name) and scuba - great running peeps - you must be so very pleased.

I saw pixie (i can't quite remember where i was) and Sarah Overall (a little further on) - none of us could talk very much - just a pleasant hello followed by grunts and then a knowing feeling of talking was using up our energy - but great to see you both.  So i finished in 5.37 - not the sub 5 i wanted but wow what an experience.  I didn't enjoy the run - not sure if that was the heat / tiredness / but i and ALL of us can say we have run a marathon - wow what a feeling.

Can't wait to hear all your stories.  Pixie i am sorry your run didn't go to plan but i agree you have made all our marathons an experience we will not forget so thank you. x

• Options
    Hi all

Lovely to hear the stories coming in so far...

I saw Pixie at mile 3 just as I was meeting my mum.

Well done scuba and slow and old, or is that speedy from now on!??!?!

Was a bit dazed and confused.com from about mile 13 I think. How on earth I finished I dont know. Well, I do, my mum got me through!!!

Did 5hrs22. 22mins out from what I wanted but never mind. Dont know about you but although it wasnt as hot as expected I found it sooooo humid. I was told by the lovely people at St John's ambulance (who looked after me at the end as I felt faint!) that I sweat salt. Nice.

Finished my last marathon wanting to do it again but really not sure....

Blue start was a bit of a let down....I was in pen 9 but the Runners world pacers of 11min mile and 'get you round' were in pen 6. There was also none of the iconic music I was expecting playing...I wanted to cry at the start but it was a bit like....'so have we started then?' I even didnt start my stopwatch as I hadnt realised we had started.

I'm in work today which has been fun, but the kids have loved to see my medal and you never know, it may have inspired one of them to do it one day.........

recover well everyone!!
  • Options

Afternoon Everyone,

Great to hear that everyone got round. Well done!

I got round in 5hours 24mins 54 secs - after the injury problems I have been having I was just pleased to finish and but with that time I am (as we all should be) so proud of myself.

I saw Pix around the 11mile / 12mile mark and tapped her on the shoulder and said hello. I had just taken a tumble a few minutes earlier as went to step over a water bottle and hadn't factored in the speed bump behind it  and so did a real comedy roll over the bump. Have grazed both my knees and also a grazed elbow (as if the other aches and pains weren't enough). Although lots of people helped me up it was great to see Pix as a pick me up after that as I had just wanted to cry.

I ran virtually the whole way with a great chap called Peter who really kept me going when times were tough and I am forever thankful to him.

Overall I loved the day and the crowds were amazing and helped me tremendously - would I do it again? Last night I said never again but today I'm thinking about it!

• Options

Pix it is harder to do what you did in many ways.  Kick back and think of it as another notch on the belt.  Lessons learnt and a way forward and onto the next one which may be all you need.

I have been there too and appreciate the effort it takes.  You have both my respect and empathy.  The marathon is a long lonely road sometimes - even surrounded by people!

It was very hard out there yesterday and I don't think many achieved what they were aiming for.

At least you finished.  That is more than lots did.  There would be some who would kill to have just got that medal round their neck somehow I am sure.

So many stories, so many different journeys, one destination!

• Options

Oh Pix - lots of hugs to you.

After I saw you yesterday I really wished I'd just given you a hug or had anything to say which would have made you feel better - however unfortunately I was in my "dark mile" after my fall when I felt like everything was going wrong and had been close to tears. Sorry I wasn't much help!

• Options

Pix, you finished when so many would have given up. The marathon rarely goes to plan, that is one of its challenges and you faced it the hard way and still one your battle. What does not kill us makes us stronger! You should be proud! I am of you! Well done. Next time!

Take care,

Liz x
  • Options
    So what happened Pix?
  • Options

Hi Pix

Its Dan (the lurker) who you met during the marathon (can't remember at what mile). It sounds as though the race did not go as planned. However please realise how inspirational and supportive this forum has been to many many people throughout their many months of training - and you have been central to all of that

I managed to complete in just over 5 hours and 16 minutes when all the training was leading me to believe I could get round in about 4 hours 50 minutes. Even though it may not have been as warm as what was being predicted I still found the humidity completely draining and it was the hardest of the 3 Londons I have done.

At the end of the day you completed the marathon during challenging and adverse circumstances, You did not give up. Be proud of yourself for not only completing yesterday but also for the support and inspiration you have shown to others

Take Care

Dan

• Options
    (((PIx))) - you are a star in my eyes and have been an inspiration.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Kim, I don't know what happened but it sounds as if it all went t!ts up so (((big hugs to you))). Sort your head out, lick your wounds and then enter another marathon pdq. Love Susie xxx
  • Options

Hi everyone and big well dones on finishing such a mammoth challenge - the marathon is indeed a monster!!!

I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyon on this thread.  I really don't think I would've enjoyed the experience (or made it round!) without my new running forum friends so thank you.

I managed to finish in 5:56:36 and am absolutely delighted and couldn't stop smiling image

Best marathon moments

• Seeing my family and friends cheering me on
    • Turning the corner into the mall and seeing the finish line
    • Getting my medal (I'm still wearing it!)
    • Overtaking Dick and Dom!

Worst marathon moments

• Queueing for 10 minutes to go to the toilet at mile 2
    • Thinking I was about to pass mile marker 17... and then realising it was mile marker 16
    • Blazing sunshine in Canary Wharf
    • Not being able to walk today and needing my boyfriend to help me up every time I move!

Pixie Kim- big, big hugs to you.  You've been such an amazing inspiration on this thread and it has been an absolute pleasure following / sharing your progress. Liz's comments above sum it up absolutely perfectly.

• Options

Pixie - i've been lurking on the thread like Dan throughout the process and although it did sound like the humidity got to everyone a little, i'm quite disappointed with your time.

I'm certainly a hypocrite - heck, there's no way on earth I could run more than about 3 miles without passing out and dying! Nevertheless, you beat a lot of other people to get that professional training and support system, so I don't really think you've been fair to them by entering yourself in a fairly unrealisitic category.. Just saying :/

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Pixie - Marathons don't always go to plan, I should know as I have now done 11 and still not done a sub 5hr. There are some nice marathons out there, you need  recovery and then find another challenge.

Take care

Tracey x

• Options

bbdm92 I don't think your comments are particularly helpful or necessary at this point. I believe that she was chosen so the experts must have believed it was possible.

Hope you are ok Pixie my guess is it won't be long before you dust yourself off.