Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

Comments

• Options

I am not sure what to say feels like I have just run the race again. Well done for keeping going it would have been much easier to give up and make an excuse.

I think you are very brave well doneimage It was just a bad day at the office.

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    EP you didn't let us down in the slightest. It's been amazing being part of your story and I reckon it's really tough to have to share it so publicly. I've learned things about myself and about running that I'd have never have worked out if it wasn't for this thread - particularly the nutritional side of things (no, didn't hit the wall and didn't throw up = result cos you Pix sent a very firm message saying that I need to persevere with my fuelling strategy when I was ready to do it with water alone, remember????) So thank you for your complete honesty and openness in sharing your journey with us over the past 4 months. I hope you recover well, both physically and emotionally - you must be drained!

• Options

Hey Pix you did well - you fnsihed despite what you were going thorugh - shit happns and it normally happens on race day.

Take a rest and put it down to one of those things.  At least you didn't quit.

• Options
    EP.... lesser people woul;d have quit...be proud of what you have achieved over the past few months.. You will be stronger for it.....you did great......
  • Options

EP - I have no words to express how I'm feeling at the moment.  I will try and compose something better later on. 

Nearly everyone has expressed the sentiments I want to express.  Well everyone except the twat face bbdm92.  Oh how I wish I could swear now.

Thank you and thank you again.

• Options
    And the biggest thanks to you EP.  This has been my first marathon and I've trained on my own.  The only reason I was able to complete my challenge successfully yesterday was through the massive help, advice and inspiration that I have received from both your forum and Hash's.  Thanks to all this it has been an incredible journey for me. You have most certainly NOT let me down.  Thanks also of course to Steve, Liz, Emma and Hash.
  • Options

Overcame my obsessiveness about reading whole threads to come on the end and read the last couple of days.... wish I'd had time to follow the whole way!

I don't think your training went to waste.  I'm sure it will still be there in future.  And it's also helped loads of other people.  Not everyone could have written so well, even if they could have been the perfect robot and finished to plan.  Being a super sixer wasn't just about running surely?  You've done a great job. 

Agree that humidity was an issue.  I was wetting myself down with water but it didn't seem to be doing much.  I was very underprepared so my slower than hoped time wasn't a massive surprise, but there do seem to be a lot of folks in the same boat.  I ran up to mile 12 before giving up on my goal of running the whole way.  One factor was that there seemed to be people collapsed by the course all over the place (all being tended to...). I don't remember there being so many last time in London.  Maybe it was just my headspace!

• Options

Hi Pixie, I'm a lurker too and have followed since the beginning.  You have been an inspiration to me and my running.  I'm sorry everything didn't go quite to plan but you must of had so much extra pressure with all eyes on you to do well.

I finished in 5 hrs 36 mins which I would never have been able to do without this thread and your excellent reports and guidance. I learnt so much as a newbie.

I'm sending you a big thank you and a big hug for making my 1st marathon such a brilliant experience.  Hopefully I'll be able to have another go and beat that 5 hrs next time.  Hope you start to realise what a great thing it is you have done and start to feel proud soon.........WELL DONE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    If I'd have been you, I think I would have stopped. It really shows great strength of character to struggle on despite the battle you were having both physically and mentally. OK, so you didn't make your ultimate time, but there will be other marathons. You came, you did it and you FINISHED. Well done!! xxxxx
  • Options
    ((((((((PIX))))))))

I have tears in my eyes pix...what a brave and inspiring journey.You did and amazing job to get through and have in no way let down anyone on this thread. Take some time, recover well Pix xxx
  • Options
    bbdm92 wrote (see)

Pixie - i've been lurking on the thread like Dan throughout the process and although it did sound like the humidity got to everyone a little, i'm quite disappointed with your time.

I'm certainly a hypocrite - heck, there's no way on earth I could run more than about 3 miles without passing out and dying! Nevertheless, you beat a lot of other people to get that professional training and support system, so I don't really think you've been fair to them by entering yourself in a fairly unrealisitic category.. Just saying :/

Well don't.

Pix was definitely on for that time  - but if you knew anything about marathons then you would know that you can prepare like a professional and still have a bad day at the office for many reasons.

Yes - you ARE are hypocrite. Go away until you've done the training and done the SuperSix thing. Then I can come back and pick holes in your efforts.

Jog on.

Idiot.image

• Options

Oh shit, I don't believe it.  I was dreading something like that on my thread, and although I'm sort of ish prepared for it, I know how that would make me feel. 

Pix, ignore the twat who has no idea what he's talking about, and listen to what everyone else has said.  Not just people like me and Lucy who know only too well the pressure of the super six thing, but what experienced athletes like Liz and Steve and Gatton and umpteen other people have said.

Gatton wrote (see)
    EP.... lesser people woul;d have quit...be proud of what you have achieved over the past few months.. You will be stronger for it.....you did great......

I can't swim, so based on bbdm92's sound example maybe I should nip off to find an ironman thread in the tri section and give them the benefit of my wisdomimage

• Options
    Hey Darling,
    this is Kat, red, gold and green tutu girl, we were being massaged at the same time on Sunday , you done amazingly well, I too had a hard day at the office and although it can be hard to swallow, give yourself a break, you committed to it, you done it even if it was not the end result you wanted, you achieved something many people could not. Take everything you learnt and fly with with it, you deserved that spot and done the best you can and you should be proud.

Rest recover, then dissect, for now bask in the knowledge you completed a marathon even though you did not feel your best.

nuff love

Kat
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Pixie - come and do Halstead Marathon with me next year, we can run it together if you like.
  • Options

Pix, as we see regularly even the elite runners have bad days.  You can do all the training, sail through with no injuries, have good fuelling strategies but something happens on the day and it all goes out of the window.  That's the vagaries of the marathon so don't be down on yourself. The training you've had and the lessons you've learnt will all stand you in good stead and you've made some great friendships along the way.

One last thing - Hash you rock!!  I admit to a little tear when I saw you and Pix heading off from Mudchute.  

• Options

Pix you will get your dream.  It just wasn't meant to be on Sunday.  Elite runners drop out and not only through not feeling good - just not being in the top 10 is enough!  No excuse I say!

You did the SuperSix team proud!  And I for one am pleased.  You can use the knowledge you have gained through the team at future events and maybe without the pressure you will exceed your wildest expectations.

I was sorry I didn't get to speak to you at Chandos. xx

• Options

Hi Pix - you did well. Sorry to have missed you. There were not many people who were pleased with their performance that day. It was humid and the temp was either too warm or too cold.

You are a marathon runner, you have the same medal as those who finished at the front (but they didn't have the party that we did).

In one way, I was lucky in that I had no expectations due to having lost so much training through injury. I finished (behind you by quite a margin) and have my medal and memories.

my race report is here, not as eloquent or as detailed as yours, but  I may well enter again and give it another shot. At least I have a PW to record now image

• Options

Thanks Sue just read your race report.  It was really great.  I watched that same young soldier with a missing left arm and missing right leg.  Very humbling.

Sub 6:30 WELL DONE imageimageimageimage

• Options

Hi Pix

Just wanted to say I think you did amazingly well- not sure I would have had the guts to continue!!!  It was hard out there on Sunday!

I know its not much consolation but there is always that next race- when you feel up for it!!!

• Options

Pixie

Like a previous entry, I dont usually follow long threads.  But your VLM experience made the hairs on the back of my neck quiver. What an amazing person you are to keep going like you did.

I dont know if the Marathon Demons will stay in your head, but I hope you are able to do another one in the future and complete your journey.

Runners World...... I would like to suggest that you approach EP with a view to entering VLM next year for you. Her experience this year has been extraordinary and inspirational.. (if she is up for it, that is, she might be, 1 day). She could do a journal and write, say every 3 months or so in your mag...... she really is a Special Woman, and one who write well, she would reach the hearts of all runners.

Kim, the very best recovery for you. x

• Options
    Hi Pix

I have been alternating between this thread and the sub 5:30. I was hoping really for a sub 5 but a few days before the start I got the worst cold I've had in years, and still have it. After 10 miles I knew that there was no way plan a or b was going to happen, at one point I didn't know how I was going to make it to the end but something keeps you going. Pix your inner strength and determination is awesome, being the super six person makes it even harder as you probably put even more pressure on yourself.
    When I was handed my medal it was the most amazing thing, yes I'm really disappointed I didn't get my target but we did it! Even if I was beaten by a rhino!
    Don't stop believing!! (think that song was on repeat in that pub as I heard it playing too).

xxx image
  • Options
    bbdm92 wrote (see)

Pixie - i've been lurking on the thread like Dan throughout the process and although it did sound like the humidity got to everyone a little, i'm quite disappointed with your time.

I'm certainly a hypocrite - heck, there's no way on earth I could run more than about 3 miles without passing out and dying! Nevertheless, you beat a lot of other people to get that professional training and support system, so I don't really think you've been fair to them by entering yourself in a fairly unrealisitic category.. Just saying :/

SOD OFF PRAT!  Please read back through this whole thread then make a comment.  Pixie was/is a superstar, an inspiration and a hero so take you silly comments elsewhere.....image
  • Options

Pixie.....great report.

Pixie, I can only repeat what everyone else has said - you are a big shining star in my book.  Without you or this thread i would of thrown the towel in and given up.  You have been inspirational, a huge motivator and friend.  So you had a bad day - which really really sucks but you a still an amazing lady in my books.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Hi Pixie,

That was a really good, honest report and will give others some idea of the guts and determination it took for you to finish when lesser athletes would have given up.  You showed true grit and I am proud to know you (even though you didn't say hello when you went past me in 2008!!!).

Ignore the people who leave mean comments, I always try to.  As you can imagine I get lots of comments from runners when they see what I'm doing and they are usually very kind because they realise just what a massive effort it takes.  However, on Sunday I had a really mean man run past, saw me crocheting and he asked me why I was doing it.  I explained that each chain represented someone suffering from dementia in this country and that the links I was crocheting were to join them together in the fight against dementia.  Instead of saying well done as most people do he said "well, you haven't done very much have you!"  At that time I'd already gone through 2 balls of yarn and had 2 massive loops coiled around my waist and his casual remark left me desolate and teary (then I got angry!).  Stupid people say stupid things.

You have trained really well and technically it should have been your best run ever.  But this was a marathon and as anyone who's ever run one will tell you, anything can happen on the day, no matter how well you've trained.

Onwards and upwards young Pixie xxx image

• Options

OH MY GOD!

What an idiot! I read this last night on phone and couldnt wait to come into work and write a reply....

In the words of that character on Big Brother whose name I cant remember 'Who is he? WHo is he?'

If he had have been on here the whole time he would be educated enough to be able to comment, and if he had have been on here the whole time he would only have praise, admiration and positive comments for what you DID achieve.  WHich is far more than he seems to be able to do. 

Since yesterday I have had two kinds of comments...one all positive and two looks of negativiity with my 'slow' time.  Unless you have trained and run the London Marathon shut up and keep your comments to yourself.  I think running London is far different to any other.  Just because you have a sub1hr 10k DOES NOT mean (one comment I have had) that you can run a quick marathon.  ( A 'friend' said that she would only do it to get under 4hrs.  Her 10k time is 56 and 5k 25  - I think she is dreaming.)

PLEASE do not take any notice of someone who has no idea what he is talking about. 

Unless he can come on here and prove otherwise.....

like someone above said, sorry I cant remember who....JOG ON

PS to all the other Pixie fans, well done on all your achievements xxxx

• Options
    hello Kim... sorry I've been a lurker too. I've found you and your thread an inspiration. Your race report was heart wrenchingly brilliant...I'm sure I'm not alone in admitting that it made me cry. You showed immense courage  and dedication and should be hugely proud of yourself. Also, you have so much support and love and admiration from your fellow runners/forumites, and it is all deserved. Well done!
  • Options

Pix, when I finished IM outside the time I was devastated.  Then the pirates were so supportive I felt proud that I had gone on when I could have stopped!  No one (not even the marshals) knew I was still on the course.  But I took every step that I had to to cross that finish line, not expecting a tshirt never mind a medal.  I got the tshirt and another pirate gave me his medal which had bee thrust on him though he hadn't completed.  

I had one or two comments that I shouldn't call myself IM and for a while I believed them.  Then I picked myself up and dusted myself off and thought why shouldn't I?  I had done it and in many ways done it the hard way with no support (apart from my hubby).

So I keep the medal and I wear the tshirt occassionally with pride and my treasured posession is my IM pendant my husband had made for me.

I am going to do it again next year and I am determined to finish inside the cut off (all being well) but that is not to say that last years is any less of an achievement.  

It takes guts to do it when it is hard and your mind is falling apart.  But you did it inspite of your mental demons and inspite of your physical challenges.   I think you should be especially proud of this medal.  It shows what a strong character you really are and that nothing can defeat you if you put your mind to it!!!

x

xx