Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Pix - I hope you're now starting to feel a little less downhearted at Sunday's race and taking the positive comments from this thread on board.   You did your very best on the day and that's all that can be expected.   As I said before, marathons can be cruel and unpredictable and I think you will have a better marathon when you line up quietly in a smaller marathon with only you knowing what your expectations for the race are.

I ran a 10 minute marathon PB last year after umpteenth marathons and over 14 years of marathon running.   I did it by just deciding on the start line that I would have a crack at a PB, I didn't tell anyone I just ran it so there was no mental pressure to do a certain time, I just took each mile as it came.

Scuba - I did 4.51 at Stratford, a course best for me by 7 mins and also 7 mins faster than the previous week's race, so I was happy.

• C Slip!  So lovely to meet you too image   Thank you for the lovely encouraging words, and it was good to see you the second time too.  I can't remember at what point you passed me, but I think I was struggling at that point, so I really appreciated your encouraging wave!  I managed to pick up the pace a little after the Fetchpoint and finished in 5:09.  I really hope you did okay and have been recovering well image
  • bbdm92 wrote (see)

Pixie - i've been lurking on the thread like Dan throughout the process and although it did sound like the humidity got to everyone a little, i'm quite disappointed with your time.

I'm certainly a hypocrite - heck, there's no way on earth I could run more than about 3 miles without passing out and dying! Nevertheless, you beat a lot of other people to get that professional training and support system, so I don't really think you've been fair to them by entering yourself in a fairly unrealisitic category.. Just saying :/

What a cock! She was voted on to the super six by other runners and she had a good chance of beating the 5hr barrier she wanted.

Let me see Gordon Ramsey doesn't need to go through the ballot he gets his cos he has a telly programme. He didn't finish !!!!!

Dan Robinson runs for GB, hmmmmmm did he finish NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pixie finished unlike you sitting on your arse spouting off shite.

And yes I have done a marathon, 17 or 18 at last count and my best is just over 3.00 hrs before you say anything.

My advice is get off your arse and do better than Pix or just shut the fuck up stupid.

• well said nicko - and i just love the use of 'cock' - love it!

• Hi Pix and all

The time has just been so hard to fit everything in so I have just managed to get here. Congratulations to all probably mostly to Pix.  the pressure of being chosen to be in the public eye is enough to cause most people difficulties anyway let alone whilst running a marathon.
    I would repeat all the encouraging comments your friends have made (can I be included as a fairly late comer on the forum).  Like you I failed to make my time, like many this year it seems, I had dreadful problems with my left leg and limped the last 5 miles in a sort of demented speed walk. The crowd were so supportive when they realised I was in trouble - I faded from being on schedule for 4:40 at about mile 20 to 5:14+. at the end. 9 mins.worse than last year. So I have a little understanding of the feelings. when i got to 800M I couldn't even get to a trot to get across the line in a respectable fashion. Your race report is outstanding.
    You have done all that was asked of you and done it well - I know that things sometime don't work out, even elites pull out, you didn't - you did another marathon there are millions who wouldn't even try.

I came 66 in my catagory but there are only 128 in that cat image  

God bless you all

John

• Good to see you back and positive Pix.  Keep on running.

Nice time Shades, well done.

• well done to everybody who did the marathon and special well done to Pix.

Though it didn't go to plan, it was still a great report of the race and truly represents why you were selected as one of the six.

The marathon itself is obviously a very important part but just as important is to be a great host, interesting writer and train well. Pix did all these with fantastic enthusiasm and skill and deserved a much better result than she got.

Ok sub-5 was going to be a tough call, and maybe it was too much, especially on a far from ideal day.

Certainly most people who run marathons don't reach their targets - partly because they are so bloody hard but also because they aim too high. However, you had to aim for sub-5 and for 6 miles it was perfect.

I agree with Andy - what you need is a low key low pressure autumn marathon and get the PB to below 5:30, which you are easily capable of and then go for a sub 5 or close next year.

I will happily help you in any way I can in terms of training advice and support.

There was pressure and maybe that didn't help. Personally I think it helps - I told everyone I wanted to break 2:45 as it gave me an added incentive to do it but I was relaxed about not doing it (maybe not the hour after) but I think the tension, mostly  from yourself rather than from external, probably got to you slightly and the weather conditions weren't helpful.

However, you did brilliantly to keep going while clearly distressed and it took real courage to finish and analyse it so well with a fantastic report.

Ignore the one stupid comment - everyone else is proud of you and knows you truly deserved one of the six spots and it was a great journey even if the last  part of the journey wasn't what you wanted.

I was so impressed with the way you tackled the training so diligently and you will break five one day if you put your mind to it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Pix - well done for getting out for your recovery run, your legs will thank you for it today.

Steve - great posting and wise words

• Nicko. wrote (see)
    bbdm92 wrote (see)

Pixie - i've been lurking on the thread like Dan throughout the process and although it did sound like the humidity got to everyone a little, i'm quite disappointed with your time.

I'm certainly a hypocrite - heck, there's no way on earth I could run more than about 3 miles without passing out and dying! Nevertheless, you beat a lot of other people to get that professional training and support system, so I don't really think you've been fair to them by entering yourself in a fairly unrealisitic category.. Just saying :/

What a cock! She was voted on to the super six by other runners and she had a good chance of beating the 5hr barrier she wanted.

Let me see Gordon Ramsey doesn't need to go through the ballot he gets his cos he has a telly programme. He didn't finish !!!!!

Dan Robinson runs for GB, hmmmmmm did he finish NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pixie finished unlike you sitting on your arse spouting off shite.

And yes I have done a marathon, 17 or 18 at last count and my best is just over 3.00 hrs before you say anything.

My advice is get off your arse and do better than Pix or just shut the fuck up stupid.

Love it! Nice one Nicko imageimageimageimageimage
  • Hi

I haven't been on for a while as I was travelling back home etc but have just looked back, although I have been more of a lurker on this thread just wanted to add my +1 to all that has been said about the idiotic comment earlier.  What a twit.  I do all my running on my own, don't really have any non virtual running buddies and my husband thinks its all madness so following this thread has been invaluable to me. Pixie I am truly sorry that it didn't work out as you had hoped, your race report had me in tears.....but the grit and mental strength it took to get to the end shouldn't be forgotton

Anyway again, just wanted to say thanks.

Em

• Pix

I too have been lurking on this thread and I too trained alone and ran the whole thing alone. I think you are a fantastic person with a kind of inner strength that not many people on earth could match. You tackled it, completed it and lived to tell the tale.

Idiots like bbdm92 are beyond belief. This person, be it male or female, wants to take a look at his life and work out where in his life he decided to start talking out of his arse.  This must be a very sad lonely person as he will win zero respect in his life.

I managed to complete the race in 5hrs 29mins and 21secs. This came after a 3 week lay off with a calf injury. Last year I tackled the Robin Hood marathon and failed miserably. I passed out at 11.5 miles and had to talk the St John's ambulance into letting me complete the half at least. I cried my heart out after I crossed the line. The memoried haunted me all the way until I passed the half way mark on Sunday and then I remember nothing until the 24 mile mark and I suddenly seemed to come round. Shuffled along to the end and then everything else is a blur until Monday morning when I woke up. I hardly remember getting home. I'm very pleased with my time and the fact that I finished but more importantly I survived and got over my demons from September.

The whole experience will make you a stronger more prepared runner and you WILL get that sub 5 hour if I have to enter all the same ones and run it with you... because that is my aim too, to get under 5 hrs.

Remember - you are an amazingly brave lady who just had a bad day and we all believe in you Pix.... Take care and just start enjoying your running again, the rest will come to you.

Chrissie x  x

• Forgot to say hi to Sarah Overall... lovely talking to you on the day. x
  • Just to clarify who won out of -

Britain's most consistent marathon runner: Dan Robinson

Defending Champion and World Marathon Major winner: Irene Mikitenko of Germany

Olympic and defending champion Sammy Wanjiru

Two time Chicago winner and former world 10,000m champion Berhane Adere

Twice London Runner Up Lyudmila Petrova

to name a few elites

and Kim, the Evil Pixie?

it was Kim - she finished despite finding it tough going. The others didn't

• John Likes that  image

Even my boss who encouraged me a lot was 10 mins off his sub 3:30 (good for age)

• Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Just to clarify who won out of -

Britain's most consistent marathon runner: Dan Robinson

Defending Champion and World Marathon Major winner: Irene Mikitenko of Germany

Olympic and defending champion Sammy Wanjiru

Two time Chicago winner and former world 10,000m champion Berhane Adere

Twice London Runner Up Lyudmila Petrova

to name a few elites

and Kim, the Evil Pixie?

it was Kim - she finished despite finding it tough going. The others didn't

Spot on!!!

• Wonderful, wonderful post Steve image

Well done Pix image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Yes it's a 26.2 mile race and you did it Pix!!! No giving up, no quitting, even when it got horrible you hung in there. You should be so proud of yourself!
  • Fantastic post Steve - Pix you really should be so so proud of yourself!

As for the post from the moron before (can't be bothered to find his name!) I think Nicko summed it up perfectly.

I'm now virtually recovered - went to the gym tonight for a run / walk on the treadmill and for some reason my hamstring now hurts. Bizarrely this was one of the few parts of me that hasn't hurt at all over the last few days!

xx 

• imageHey Pixie image You have really done yourself proudimage I completely empathise with you, my day didn't go to plan but hey the memories I have from it are priceless image Hash was my saviour at mile 17 too! I sobbed like  baby in her arms image but felt much better for it! I'm sure I'll hear about more of you exploits soon. Well done and take careimage
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/214736/Gallery/lon2010-m17_1.jpg

Me with Hash at mile 17! The friends you make are pricelessimage
  • Well done Pix,

I'm a lurker too,  been following the thread since Jan as I was hoping for sub 5 too.

Sorry you didn't get your target but the mental strength you showed by keeping going and finishing was admirable.

Things don't always go to plan and it is very hard to watch dreams melt and not be affected mentally.

I finished sunday in 5:41 which is my slowest ever marathon time, but having missed several weeks training due to flu & chest infection, I re-adjusted my target to just getting round and so was not dissappointed with this result.

So please don't give up, it can be done. image

• Does anyone have post marathon blues - i am bored with resting up and getting rather irritable - my main problem is that i am eating normally and putting on weight - arghhhh!  Go to gym next week me thinks!  : )
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Yep - diet starts tomorrow! Are you on the Use it or Lose it post VLM diet thread Beanie? I'm hoping that lot will keep me accountable...

• What a fab post Steve!

I think I have a touch of the post-marathon blues too which isn't helped by my cold.  Oh well, at least I can actually walk in a normal fashion now! x

• Chrissie T wrote

"then everything else is a blur until Monday morning when I woke up. I hardly remember getting home."

The same thing happened to me too, that cider is a bugger innit image

• Pix said:

"Mile 21
    Think we saw someone here! I kind of remember someone mentioning following the thread and being inspired. Sorry for not remembering your name but thank you. Then it was on to Fetch point. Hash made a call back to Mudchute and I ran on. It felt like I was running quiet strong now - my focus was totally Mile 22. Not the finish, not the embankment just Mile 22 Fetchpoint."

Pix,

It was me who ran past - alright, staggered past you at Mile 21 and bellowed. Sorry for not stopping to chat, but my run wasn't going as I'd planned too - but seeing you in the field and putting a face to the thread gave me a boost I needed to take my mind off the pain of getting that far.

I finally finished just short of 6hrs - but if I can echo the advise of the other people on the thread, "don't worry" - I'm sure your day will come and let's face it - there are hundreds of thousands, in fact, millions of people out there who will never ever do what we have done - and now you have done it 3 times!

As I say to my running buddies - me and the marathon have unfinished business - It will be back next year, all smug and languishing there with it's gleaming yet menacing 26.2 miles which calls to mortals and dares them to step across the line. I will be back, armed with a strong mind and a stronger body and will be looking for you in the sub-5 pacing group.

Just shy of a week after and I've been out for a few kms to test the legs out - and they still work image

Take care - and my thanks to you for happening to be at 21 miles as I wandered by and for giving me a boost towards the finish.

Take care.

Paul Kruzycki 42975 - 5hr 52m