Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Kim (sub-5:00)

1808182838486»

Comments

• Hi Kim

I just thought I would pop in and see how things are going, and how those legs are feeling.
    I just wanted to take this opportunity to offer another  (slightly belated) congratulations to you and everyone else on this thread as well for their great efforts both in the lead up to and on race day.
     Some really inspiring running and your motivation never ceased to impress me.
    For now - enjoy helping your body continue to recover and don't run again until you feel physically and mentally ready.   Although there's no rush it's always great to capitalise on this post marathon campaign fitness, whether your mext goal is another running challenge of weight loss.

Any nutritional revelations exposed last Sunday - do share?!
    Emma
  • Some interesting posts on here, Steve yours are vrey good, Kim finished as you rightfully said so good on ya Pix, I was looking for Ramseys time, no wonder I couldn't find it if he didn't finish!

Thanks to you Steve for some advice you gave me a fair while ago now, I took it and it was the right decision.

• ooh, its quiet on here now isn't it??!!!

Emma - I have a bit of a query....I started to feel a bit dodgy from about 6miles....kept going ok until about 14 when I then walked/ran to the end  (finished in 5hrs 22officially  or 19mins unofficially long story!).    I kept to my race plan of gels at start and every 4 1/2 miles using SIS gels and lucozade gels when I ran out of my supply. 

My mum suggested that i lost too much salt, I dont eat much in my diet, do you think this could have been an issue?  i did drink sips of water at every station...

or was it just a bad day at the office?  I thought my 5hr goal was realistic with my training and race times but never mind!

thanks

hope everyone enjoyed their first Sunday with no running - I know I did, although I was soooooo glad I didn't have a run as it poured down all day!!

xx

• I did i was in Sheffield - to cover two things....one a dirty weekend with my husband (i have been avoiding him for 16 weeks lol) and two to watch Sunday evening snooker at the crucible - it was a great weekend image
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Haven't posted on RW for a while - manily due to injury etx yadda yadda.

However, here is a small reminder of a shared experience.

In 2003 four of us set off to kill a 100km dragon. The fight was hard, the conditions were dreadful, and that night, the dragon won. There were tears and loss of confidence and real doubts about training and preparation and maybe even a few excuses from me (I know I could have prepared better, and been a more supportive team member)

A year later, I refought the duel and the dragon lost - but it was a near-run thing! You too went back and slayed the same dragon - was it a year later?

The guts that you have showed to finish the London Marathon this year when life got tough, and the same courage you showed to come back and kill the 100km dragon are your weapons in your next sub5 event.

By the way, if I get through the ballot I'll be aiming for sub 5:30 next year. Let me know if you want company on the way round image.

• Jaime

Emma may answer in more detail as the nutritional expert but I feel as you didn't feel right at 6, it was just one of those days.

I was worried about salt loss in my early marathons in the 70s but with sports drinks being so better nutritionally, it shouldn't be so much of a problem presuming you take on body fuel.

It's not easy getting the balance right between drinking enough and not too much and taking on sports drinks, gels, water and taking into account temperatures and humidity etc as well as your pace.

I felt I got the balance right in my 5 previous London's but not sure after even 70 marathons, I got it 100%  right this year and would make minor adjustments next year so it's never cut and dried.

• Thanks Steve,

I think it was a bad day too....I did take on gels and lucozade and I was a bit paranoid about taking on too much fluid (which happened during my last marathon).  ALthough it was not as hot as expected I think I did struggle with the humidity. 

I think I did go off a little quick but not horrendously so, went through 5k 33.30mins so I think on target ?  And got to 13 miles 2hr29 so still on target really.  I did Hastings half this year in 2hrs 11 so I think 5hrs was realistic but not perhaps, on April 25th.  Maybe one day......?

• Hi am back in sunny (ha no) london after nipping off to turkey for a week last monday to recover.

Well I did 5.24.23 very pleased fufilled the aim of nearer 5 than 6 and 45 mins from my PB (when it all went wrong last year) of 6.09.

Mr O did 5.10 which is well slower than his 2006 time of 4.14 (not enough training in my opinion) he has always been a naturally good distance runnner on little or no training (being 6ft 2 and skinny) I am now after that time!

My neice katie had tonsilitis just before the marathon and was only off antibiotics for 2 days she did 5.14 and really suffered (she was aiming for 4.30) and after two tough marathons she really is not running another.

My sister kate got really bad blisters on the balls of her feet and ended up doing 6.43 she was aiming for 6.  She spent time with st johns ambulance strapping her feet up.

Loved meeting beanie and chrissie was struggling when saw beanie between 16 and 17 just couldn;t talk did manage a chat with chrissie.  The front of my quads and it band at the side stiffened up starting around 10k and I don;t know why I was running at pretty much my training pace and it was flat I needed painkillers to ge me through and had to get paracetemol from some nice lady in the crowd at mile 22 who was standing by my sister!

I just knew before I started that sub 5 wasn;t happening i don;t know why just instinct I suppose so I didn;t even try, my first 5k was 35 mins, 10k 1.11 and half 2.34.  30 to 35k took me 40 mins and 35 to 40k took 42 mins so my pace slowed but I did stop to talk to people.  I also remember for a long time i struggled to get under 40 mins just doing 5k  race for life so it just shows what 7 years of training does!

Kim I had a shocker last year I was due to do sub 5.30 and did 6.09 which was only 2 mins quicker than my 2006 time my training had been 10 times better than 2006 and I had an undiagnosed health problem which was sorted for 2009 so I really should ahve done the sub 5.30.  Last year i felt so sick and was struggling from the off and hated every minute  kept going but just wanted the hell to end for 20 of the 26.2 miles.  I was so down and tearful afterwards that the next day I just sat in bed and cried. 

It took a good few days for me to take pride in getting through a  really tough run and finishing, in lots of respects i am prouder of 2009 than of this year even though my time was much better.  I know how you feel I really do and you have done amazingly well HUG.

Now weight loss thread - boy do I need it after my eating and drinking festival in turkey am living off chips chocolate and wine at them moment and I am normally so healthy - am thouroughly enjoying though!  Can we start next week?  As I have have lots of dinners and drinks in the diary this week with mates who have been very patient about me being a paragon of vitue since jan!

I normally weigh in on a tuesday but haven't since way before the marathon who is up for it and what witty name shall we call ourselves?

• Hi SO, well done on the marathon, all the nice guys have moved onto the 'Use it or lose it' thread. See you there!image
  • See you there Sarah - its the big one - the big diet!