Prague Marathon

Hi all!

I've just got back from Prague. It was hot (25 degrees in the shade!) and there were two stretches of 10 miles where there was no shade. Brutal. I dehydrated quickly, didn't take enough water on board and got cramp in my hips, thighs and bum (which isn't good for a runner!). I stopped at around 30 kms and tried to stretch out my quads, and promptly got cramp in my hamstrings! I couldn't lift my legs and spent most of the second half walking. But I still managed to beat my PW (London'02) by two minutes (phew!) with 4 hours 47 mins.

Apparently the drop out rate was really high - I'm not surprised (The last 8 miles is on a dual carriageway, and there people lying on the ground all over the place, with a couple of fainters. One poor bloke had clearly blacked out whilst running, as he was being tended to by one of the medical lot, and had really bad grazes on his legs arms and face). But I had a fantastic time in the city, and will go back next year to conquer it.

It's a beautiful place, and I did all the touristy things the day before the race, including sitting in the sun for a couple of hours at the Castle. Basically, my preparation was appalling! :-)

I can't recommend this race enough. The place is amazing, although the route takes you out of the city, and is consequently very quiet. As with all great races, you cross a bridge, and this one is Charles Bridge, which is a rush.

I'll be back.

BB

P.S. When you finish, there are children who hand you your medal, but not before solemnly shaking your hand to congratulate you! Wonderful place, just wonderful.

Comments