The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Well done Bridget image
  • Congrats bridget...Nice one
  • Thanks, now the hard work starts image
  • Great news Bridgetimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Hi Pammie long time no see.

Fiona well done on the treadmill 6 miles steady for me this morning, looking forward to the hill run in the snow tomorrowimage

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    So does this mean proper focus and training for one marathon Briget and doing what they tell you ?

I have had an easy day today having done my VO2 run this morning(5km in 19.01) I took the day off.

Same session as last Friday as they are using me as the healthy runner in a test for an Asthma study.
  • Vive La France! great stuff Bridget. well done.

Took 2 hours to get back from work. loads of snow.

Gobi - since when did 5km in 19.01 count as a day off? I have done nothing, am drinking a pint of Bad Elf Winter's Ale and a pizza is in the oven. Now that's a day off image
  • Mr Spoons wrote (see)
     Gobi - since when did 5km in 19.01 count as a day off?

Counts as a PB for meimage, but not for longimage

Bridget- great newsimage Look forward to following your training- hope you are tooimage

Had a right laugh today. Bought a bargain basement manual treadmill from Argos for the princely sum of £50- managed to do 6.18km in 44.16 at a whopping 11.32 pace- but it was really hard work as the belt didn't seem to want to turn. I've never run an 11 min mile beforeimageimage. Also got a bad back from holding on and running at unnatural angle. It's going back soon (apart from being carp it's also dented), but on a plus it got me some running and also got Mrs JD and the kids interested- so think that I'll invest in a decent model- if it's going to encourage them to get some exercise. See Argos have a Reebok one for half price at the moment....

• Gobi wrote (see)
    So does this mean proper focus and training for one marathon Briget and doing what they tell you ?
    I have focussed on training for some of them, just not this last year!  I will do as I am told unless it feels wrong.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Exciting times Briget :¬)

Spoons - did nothing else whereas I usually do 2 or 3 hours of training a day
  • Great news USBimage

Yesterday ended up being a very sad one for me - we had bad news from the vet about Ben (in my avatar) and had to take the horibble but absolutely right decision to put him to sleep. So instead of any running or working I ended up saying good bye and then drinking a toast to his memory. RIP old man xx

Onwards and upwards today - or at least onwards on the treadmill. My trip to Surrey aint gonna happen - the forecast is awful, so I will be staying put and running instead. I have never done a LSR on the treadmill before, but it will be one way to moderate my speed I guess. I'll set it at 6.5 mph (a bit over 9mm) and just watch the telly to stave off the boredom...

• Freemers - Sorry to hear about Ben

Gobi - how do you get the crooked 'nose' to stop a smiley turning into one of the RW ones?  I hate the raspberry one

Didn't go to parkrun this morning (I was helping again) due to the state of the main roads as I drove back from Sainsbury's last night.  I do however plan to but my off road shoes on later and do a few slow miles.

• Sorry about Ben Freemers.

try watching a movie on the treadmill. I sometimes do that for 2 hour longruns.

-6.5 degrees here. Officially cold.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Freemers,

Sorry to hear about Ben.

-------

We've only had about 3 inches of snow but it has caused a fair amount of travel problems.  The trip to Nuneaton is off now as Chris' Mum is getting over swine flu.

• Steady snow here since 9.30, not looked to see how deep yet though
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Freemers - sad days :¬(

The nose in question is the key next to the number one. Just make sure there are no gaps

Ran Eastleigh ParkRun somebody has to make sure events go ahead.
  • Lots of snow hereimage me and 3 mates ran up and down my hill this morning this was the view from the top.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/370100/Gallery/At_the_top_0.jpg

Thats me in the middle with Reg and Andy in shorts (Same mad house as Gobi LOL)

Just over 11 miles and best run/fun of the year.

• Freemers sorry about your sad news, did a few 20+ LSR on the treadmill at work last year it's ok once you get a few miles done.

• I must look more carefully at the keyboard G!

Lovely picture NP

I went out in the falling snow and ended only doing 4.5 miles.  I knew it was a bit windy but was sheltered by hedges until 2 miles, then I turned straight into it and realised just how strong it was.   Looks like our planned shopping trip tomorrow morning will be off as people are struggling on the main road in the town centre at the moment.

• NP- lovely picture, but where's the "lots of snow"? Lol!image

Freemers- sorry to hear your news.

Inov8 Mudclaws turned out to be just the answer for snow and ice onroad as well as mud and grass offroad ! It wasn't fast or pretty, but I managed to get 10m in through up to 6" of snow!image Great fun, but tough going though. Freezing here again now and clouds look really threateningimage 

• Freemers - sorry to hear about Ben... 

Snowed quite heavily here Thu eve and yesterday. Nowt today so far, but it's pretty cold. Plenty on the road to make driving interesting. Took the Smax up to Focus to get a new internal door and had to wait in a queue as the drivers attempted 1 by 1 to get out of the site on the (fairly gentle) incline. One guy in a Seat had no idea how to drive in snow and the BMW made for an entertaining attempt given RWD image

Not out today and the Merthyr Mawr 10K has been postponed and put back to 16th January image

Will try and get out off road tomorrow. Haven't got mud claws but hopefully the Roclite's will suffice!

• Sorry to hear about Ben freezers.

Np, like the photo. Sound like you enjoyed it.

Snowed all day here so it's been an hours walk in the snow and 40 mins core work. No offside trainers so not sure when next run will be....Will just use the time to rest, get stronger!!
  • Nice pic NP - shorts and t-shirt lol

I went out for a little half hour jog in the snow around Blickling Hall lake. Absolutely beautiful. very cold though! Popped into the cafe for tea and cake afterwards image

Still got this horrid cough hence the low mileage. I feel better getting out and doing something though. Not sure about tomorrow's long run though. I think I'll go out and see how I feel.
  • Managed 13 miles in the snow at 7am this morning. it was v v very c c cold brrr.
  • And no I wasn't in shorts lol
  • Nice run Spoons; I was planning on doing a 12 miler over the mountain today and taking a camera to get some nice shots at the same time. Trouble is the Mrs is still out Xmas shopping and I've got the kids... may not get out unless I'm really stupid and do it in the dark as well. The sensible side of me says "do it in the morning instead"... image

... and I could always finish hanging the door that I bought the other day image

Oh yes, congratulations Bridget. Does this mean you'll feature in the magazine now?

• 18.5 miles this morning in 2:27 ran most of it on a quite road but hard work in the snow/ice at the side of the road, but very happy I went out. Mr spoons well done on your 13 miles. Jayc hope your run in the hills went ok.

Jason LOL at what snow, knee deep in some placesimage.

Last weeks milage: 72:94image.

• Did Tom scare all the Sharks away from the red sea? I bet he is feeling the cold if he is back...

Just gone through the 1000 postsimage.

• Yes made it back safely - eventually - closed Manchester airport just as we got there and we were diverted to Birmingham and coached back to Manchester, then there were no taxi's. It's bloody cold here had the central heating on since we got back.

Well done USB on getting picked, this thread actually started with one of the FLM dream team, RichK in 2008 (3:30)

Sorry about Ben, Freemers.

some good running going on in the bad conditions, well done, just can't get motivated to get out of the house at the moment, maybe tomorrow.

• Tom- welcome back! Bit colder here, eh?image

Mr S and NP- good runningimage

Jayc- after dark and on a hillimage, that will be about -8c without the windchill then???image

I ended up running 17m along the Llanelli Millenium Coastal Path today alomg a mixture of frozen compressed snow and ankle deep fresh stuff- no bare tarmac for the whole distance!image. Started out with the car registering -4 c, but by the time I finished it had warmed up to -2image. Run was painfully slow(17.04m in 2:31.43 av 8.54 paceimage) and towards the end I could feel the heat leaving my body as my legs tied up as the blood left them.  Didn't really feel cold during the run, but it took me ages to warm up afterwards! Got a headache from the constant glare from the snow too- have to get some goggles for long runs if this continuesimage. Still- at least I got out!imageimage