The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice mileage NP and training Jason.

We found a local hill race 5 miles up and down. Came 3rd but disappointed as my achilles were really sore early on so I had to back off. Solid run though.

Hey Tom, I know RichK and didn't know that :¬)
  • jay - they took an awful lot of pictures at the selection day and only 18 have featured on here so there must be more to come in print image
  • Gobi- well done

USB- I look forward to thatimage

Couple of miles short of weekly target, due to weather and treadmill issues.... image 63.51m in 9:09.47, but fairly happy at this stageimage 

• Tom what did you think of Sharm? The sea is fantastic some great sights.
    Gobi best thing done backing off.
    Jason well done on a solid weeks running.
    USB we are all looking forward to seeing you in the RW mag.
  • NP- it's a start, but it seems fairly easy after the summer's mileageimage

As it looks like the ice and snow are here to stay for a while, these (pro version) were recommended by a good runner on another thread.  Anyone got any experience of them?

• Someone recommended them last year Jason. And then everyone was sold out!

Welcome back Tom - glad the shark didn't get you. When I was in Sharm we saw loads of sharks but every time you saw one they always swam off in a panic. ( a bit like Viz the pathetic sharks lol )

I think I may have overdone it this morning. I got very cold and tired and now my cough is ten times worse. oops image
  • Sorry about Ben Freemers, really sad.

Great photo NP, fab view!

Take care Mr Spoons, you don't want to miss out on Xmas dinner!!  Lots of hot drinks and rest for you!

Congratulations SB!

Work Xmas party Friday night so lie in Saturday then 18 miles. Never been so cold all the way round. Another snowy run. Then a nice easy 6 miles yesterday. More snow this morning so maybe a TM run later.

Take care everyone! 

F

• Mr S- take care

Fiona- good post-party runningimage

Minus 5 here this morning and school's closed, so day off for me. More snow forecast for this morning tooimage

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    turns out I am ill
  • Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone....the house certainly feels very quiet nowimage

Well done to all who braved the cold to run....I was not one of them. But I did run a total of 21 miles on the treadmill over the weekend - 13 miles on Saturday (stuck to my plan of over 9 minute miles) and then a brisker 8 yesterday (av 7.30's).  The long run felt very easy and my legs could have taken me a lot further, but I really couldn't face more than 2 hours on the treadmill! It was a bit of an effort to go there again yesterday!

Later on today I am meant to be flying out of Heathrow to New York...don't know if that's going to happen yet!

• Freemers - my Mum is stuck in Singapore trying get back to Heathrow...
  • Freemers- good luck with the flight and well done on the run!

Gobi- get well soonimage

6.35m recovery run through the snow for me- getting hard to run my usual route after fresh snowfall....image

• Some good running in the snow from Jason,Fiona and Mr Spoons. 

Hope you get well mr spoons and GOBI

Good luck today Freemers with the flight and well done with the TM running.

A couple of 1hr walks in the snow  over the weekend. today was 65mins on the treadmill followed by a swin and steam room. Felt lovely and warm afterwards. Will see what tomorrow brings !!

• I took this picture yesterday during my morning run:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/337319/Gallery/PolarBear_0.jpg

• ..... I will let the mother in law know that you saw her mr spoons ....
  • LOL Mr S....I reckon a polar bear would look good in north Norfolk!

Just as well I checked the flights one last time before I set off to the airport....cos although it was earlier all set to be OK to leave Heathrow, they then closed Newark airport due to a bomb scare, so it was cancelled after all. And I can't get on anything else as they are all booked up for the next few days. So I'll be staying put now.

• Nice photo Spoons image

Managed to avoid the night run, took longer than I thought to hang a door. Still it's up now and hasn't fallen off yet so I must've done it right image

Daughter's 9th birthday today image and what with walks to the shop, sledging, pushing stranded motorists up small inclines and playing party games I didn't get the planned morning 12 miler in either image

Got out this evening for 6 miles through the powdery snow. Looking at my calorie burn for the same route normally and today it works out around 20% extra effort in the snow.

Will try for the hill run tomorrow, with any luck our office will still be shut so I can please myself outside of childcare duties!!! image

• AGF - ROFL, just read your post and realised what it was in relation too. Hey, your MIL should be chuffed, at least it's not the Reggie Perrin hippo image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone who's managed to train & good luck with everyone's travel plans over the next few days or so.  Back to the Fracture Clinic tomorrow.  As it's snowing virtually all day & Chris came home early I'm hoping we can still get there.
  • You're obviously better off staying put Freemers. Was is a business or pleasure trip?

-11 degrees this evening. Perfect conditions for an off road 6 miler in the dark with the head torch. I'm getting like Scott of the Antartic.#

Not coughing so much today....

Happy birthday to your daughter Jay
  • Freemers well done on your run fingers crossed with the airports for tomorrow.

MrS LOL at the photo I think I passed it as well.

Fiona great running in this weather well done.

Gobi a lot of it going around get well soon.

Jayc well done with your run, enjoy your time off work.

AGF thats a good days workout done.

As for me 64x 25m front crawl had the pool all to myself and 6 miles recovery this afternoon niceimage

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/469713/Gallery/fed_up.jpg

Says it all really.....

Mr S- love the pic. One of my photos from my long run

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/469713/Gallery/_mammoth_bbc_203.jpg

Seemed friendly enough, but gave them a wide berth to be on the safe sideimage
  • Great pics Jason. Er - the top pic - is that your feet sticking out of the snow?
  • Mr S- imageimage No trawled from the net, but I understand the feeling!
  • Nice bloke RichK, get well soon Gobi.

40 x 25 crawl and 90 mins of yoga, going to hit the treadmill tomorrow, went to Hurghada on the other side, no sharks there apparently apart from the big plastic ones they had hanging up everywhere, very strange given the situation.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/271976/Gallery/Egypt_Hurghada_002.jpg

• Forced to hit the treadmill tonight for my first run of the schedule.  After Wednesday i am stuck though as they are closing for 4 days!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

Are they putting copies of the schedules up they are using?  I'm always interested to see how the sub 5hr/get you round schedule compares to Shades'3 day a week plan.

• What do you think about this article?

What with that, and the one recently about exactly how much pasta to eat before a marathon and I'll be sorted.  Forget about structured training....

USB - me too, treadmill wise. Next week my gym is only open 2 days, so I really am going to have to brave it outside.

Re NY - it was business, so not really a problem missing it and we can rearrange for the new year. NP - not even trying the airports again - the earliest flight they could re-book me on was the 23rd, which is not much help when my meetings were the 21st!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Update from the Fracture Clinic is that the bone is beginning to fuse together, however the doc I saw this time thinks the graduated return to work after 4 weeks of the break may be a bit too much.  He has said he's not sure if I'll have full movement to do front crawl swimming & I've got a sheet of physio exercises to do.  Next appointment is 6 weeks from now.