Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Chickadee,

Sounds like a very good option with the current weather.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Fiona - turbo thanks except for my commuting

Spoons - the spirit of Chirstmas was indeed missing

ParkRun today and off on the turbo in an hour

Groundhog day ?
  • Options
    16 miles or thereabouts d&d, but NOT at MP. Thanks NP for the reassurance. Plenty of time to add speed and anyways running in the cold/snow is hard work. Am dreaming of clear roads and decent pace ...

Legs were a bit tired after yesterday though.

Spoons, how did your LSR go? Are you feeling better?

Enjoy your break, JC.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    10 miles run this morning.

MP running, I'd need to check my training log to see when I last tried that outside a marathon.
  • Options
    Gobi - should we not do anything at MP?

Chick - err, well I am better but I haven't ran at all today. Too much going on... LSR tomorrow, definitely, I promise...
  • Options

Just over 6 miles recovery run this morning, missed my swim as the pool is closed.

Chick I know what you mean about running in the snow but I felt it added to my endurance.

Gobi well done on your 10 miles, I have just entered 2 half marathons one 5 weeks out and one 3 weeks out from London. Would you race a 10k 1 week before a marathon or is it to close?

• Options

NP- 1 week out- why take the chance? I'll be taperingimage 2 weeks out I'd give it a blast. Well done on the run- is your pool frozen now?image

Chick- good running

Gobi- good running; what's your opinion on MP running? BTW last time I did your MP was in a 5k I think- lol!image

Mr S- glad your better

IT RAINED HERE LAST NIGHTimageimageimage around 60m of running missed last week, but back out today- no catch up, just starting the new week with 6m slow. Weird as it may seem, my achilles and calf muscle tightness which was starting to affect my walking disappeared within 4m of running; perhaps I am allergic to not runningimage Just shows how much our bodies like routine- longest i've gone without running in 2 years....

• Options
    With it been 1 week out and only 10k I though it would still give me enough time to recover. LOL at the pool been frozen the last time I was in the pool I was the only one, the look on the guys face at reception when I turned up was well worth the effort getting thereimage Well done with getting out we are still along way from London and plenty of time, the rest will have done you good the miles you have put in this year. Looking forward to running with you on the big day from the red start.image
  • Options
    NP- imageimageimage Not sure about the start though-??? Or keeping up with youimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Spoon(others) I believe in MP but I don't think you need it 4 months before the marathon.

NP - I would usually not race more than 5km the week before a serious marathon but you could race a 10km.

Just done 3 x 10 x 30 seconds off 30 sec recoveries with 3 mins between sets. I can run sub 5 min mile pace if the rep is short enough

Really took it to the group on the last set which was pleasing as I felt very strong.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone who's got out today.

We've just come back from a friend's & the temperature now is 5.5C.  Almost tropical!  But there is still some snow & ice about.

• Options

Thanks Gobi might hive it a miss.

HY4 have you seen Simons cat Christmas?

http://www.simonscat.com/santaclaws.html

Very funny.

• Options

Sorry girls but this is the best add of 2010image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwoLtD0L9k

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Yes I have.  Simon's Cat is so funny.

• Options
    NP - I did a 10km 1 week before Abingdon Marathon and got a PB at both.

I managed a quick 30 mins on the treadmill and 50 press ups tonight. Going out bright and early tomorrow.

+3c here and going up. I may have to dig out the sorts again.
  • Options
    12.5 miles this morning. Much warmer, although still icy and also raining which made it very slippery.
  • Options

12.21miles this morning avg 7:08 pace so happy with thatimage.

Thanks Mr Spoons well done on you treadmill session and press ups and your 12 miles this morning, looks like most people have started plans image

• Options

Mr S and NP- good running. Is that 7.08 pace a bit fast though NP?image

No trouble with too fast here!

10m today and middle 5m was supposed to be tempo pace, but felt really sluggish and it was a real struggle. Didn't help that I got home to realise that I'd put an ancient retired pair of shoes on by mistake- might explain the back ache that came on with 3m to go. STOOOPID!image Oh well, 3 more runs for 2010 to goimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Hope you don't suffer from anything else as a result.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I have no comments to make on speed that I have not made before

Careful Jason

Did 3.5 miles today at 9.40 pace, I was out for a run with my 9 year old daughter who has a 5km PB of 27.15
  • Options

Morning all - hope everyone had a good Christmas (although I noted Gobi's humbug...!)

Lots to catch up on - mainly good running it seems. 27.15 for a 9year old is fantastic!!

Norwich Parkrun went ahead on Christmas Day, so I broke my 5k duck (never raced one before). 22.33  - not as quick as I would have wanted normally but we'd had snow overnight and it was incredibly slippy in places, especially going round the corners where you had to pretty much slow to a stop (or if you didn't you fell - not me, but several in front of me did). Anyway, I'll be trying to beat it on NYD when I do my second one.  Photo below just to prove it was blimmin cold and there was snow! It's a rare one of me - both feet off the groundimage

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/152897/Gallery/Picture_023_0.jpg

I missed my planned run on Boxing Day - hubby persuaded me that we should go for a walk early by the coast and watch the sunrise - we took a camping stove and had bacon sandwiches sitting looking at the sun come up over the waves by Dunwich. Ended up doing a long walk and so skipped the run after that. Made up for it with 6 miles on Monday and then 15 yesterday (average 9.10's - so doing my best to keep it slow).

Back at work today - very quiet so I'll be able to run later.

• Options

Well done on your first 5k freemers. Good result considering the conditions too...

Some nice running too by NP, Gobi, Jason and Mr Spoons

Unfortunately Icame down with Man flu on Boxing day and have been off sport since. Just stayed in the warm. I am a little stir crazy as a result too. 

I have also made the concious effort to swap Brighton Marathon with Shakespear half. Have deferred Brihgton until 2012 at no extra cost. The main reason is that I haveonly had 4 weeks slow jogging a 15 Miles a week and now a week off running. I do not think 14 weeks is sensible to train for my 1st marathon based on current training. So am aiming for a good solid PB in the half in spring and use that as a springboard for an autumn marathon.  Ihave felt good running in the last few weeks without injury and think slow but sure improvement in speed/distance is best.....

• Options

Hope you all had a nice Christmasimage Thank you for the kind words, I'm fine, life goes on now albeit differently. Truly enough said so no more nice words!!

AGF that sounds very wise. Although I have been running pretty consistently over the last few weeks I'm not where I had hoped to be either so have done the same as you and entered Edinburgh marathon. Hope you feel better soon.

Well done on the parkrun Freemers. I'm sure you'll make that an old pb in better conditions. Looked very pretty thoughimage

The ice has finally gone here so really looking forward to my run later.

Catch you all laterimage

• Options
    Another 12 in the bank this morning avg 8:02 a different run from yesterday's.
    Find it difficult to put stuff on here from my phone. Some great running going on by everyone, well done.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I watched the cricket last night so only ran 3 miles this morning.

AGF - sounds like a wise move

Well done Freemers - Rach and I organised Basingstoke parkrun on Christmas and Boxing day.
  • Options

Nice to see you, Zion.

Freemers: excellent 5k on the snow.

AGF: Sounds like a sensible decision.

11 miles at 5am this morning .... it was only -9 (the forecast was lower). As hard as it is to drag yourself out of bed a this ungodly hour, once it's done there's this great feeling of smugness. Can't beat it image.

Back at work today image

• Options
    Speedy daughter Gobi

Freemers - Xmas 5km looks fun. Any they say we didn't have a "proper" white xmas!

AGF - get well soon. I think an autumn marathon sounds sensible.

Welcome back Zion

NP - nice speedy 12

Chick - 5am is to early for me! -9? It's much warmer here today> All the ice and snow is melting fast.

I'm also back at work image
    The boss is in as well and he hates Christmas, people taking holidays and any sort of general happiness.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Freemers,

Well done.  The Boxing Day walk sounded good.

AGF,

Sounds like a good plan.

Gobi,

Your daughter's speedy.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Not bad for a 9 year old :¬)

off to the gym
  • Options
    Comforting words guys, thanks.

Zion, good luck with Edinburgh...