The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• 5.5 miles done this evening. All ice and snow have now gone image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

It's great isn't it.  If I'd not got a broken shoulder I would have definately got out for a run

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Hid on the treadmill just because I felt like it, did a progressive 6 miler and body weight aside I felt good.
  • Feeling sorry for you HY4
  • X post

How's the weight loss going Gobi? No mince pies I hope?
  • When browsing through all the marathon forums, most people are all talking about week 1 of Rw schedule, week 2 of P&D schedule, shades schedule etc etc.

I just make mine up as I go long, not following any specific schedule. Of course I have read most of these schedules and I use the bits that work for me, taking on board all the good advice I get from you good folk image

The question is of course, would I reap greater rewards if I followed a schedule to the letter?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Spoons - Last Xmas weigh in was yesterday and the results were pretty horrific.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Spoons - a schedule is a guide but you cannot be a slave to it. Sometimes the body says no.

A good plan will help you go faster because it will encourage consistancy in training.

I have to say schedules are good I am a coach who writes schedules :¬)
  • cheers G

I'm running 40 - 50 miles a week. Should I use P&D up to 55 or can I bribe you to come up with something more bespoke? image
  • Well done to Gobi minorimage

AGF- sounds like a good plan

NP- good runningimage

Mr S- I like plans cos I like structureimage

Gobi- Xmas scales horror here tooimage 

Water crisis in our area at the moment- image 24 hours now and around 3000 houses without water. We have got a few water tanks around the village.... but no-one's been out to fill them up yetimage went to OH's mum's with our 25l camping water container to fill up, so not too bad. 14m for me today- first 9 around 8.15, last 5 around 7.25 and no showerimage

• jasond what caused the water crisis? The same as NI?

chickadee testing running conditions indeed. image Very well done!

HY4 how is your shoulder feeling? Is your knee feeling any better with the rest?

Mr Spoons good luck on deciding on a schedule. There's plenty around!

Really enjoyed my 7 miles on no ice yesterdayimage  Much more enjoyable than having to concentrate on every footstep.

• Zion- It's great running instead of skating isn't itimage Water problem caused by a problem at local reservoir- think the big thaw has led to a burst mains- apparently lots of these across Wales at the momentimage.

Still no water, but off to Mrs JD's mum's in a bit for a shower! 6m recovery run for me planned for later. Off to watch a panto firstimage.

Oh yes, I am!imageimage

• oh no you're not!

1 hours swimming club at 6am - 2200m - 88 lengths.

straight out of the pool and did a 7.5m x country run. A real mud fest!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Thanks.  Lack of activity is getting to me now. According to the first doc I saw at the Fracture Clinic I should be starting a graduated return to work next week but I don't think that's going to happen & have an appointment with my doc on Tuesday.  Still things could be worse I could have broken a leg at the same time.

Gobi,

That's something I'll have sort out for my 5 mile (June) & 10k (Otober) races next year.  At the moment I'm looking at Hal Higdon's Novice 10k plan for the running segments or either the 3 day per week one from here with a swim session each week as well.  I'll initally be starting off with the beginners 5k plan from here so that should ease myself back into things.  I may also google 10k plans to see if there is anything else which may be suitable as I like the length of the long run from the RW one but not the 2 sessions of speedwork as seems a bit much if you're only running 3 times per week.

Zion,

I think my shoulder is improving as I didn't have to have painkillers first thing this morning & lasted until about 11 am.  My knee isn't much better as I've not been able to do the resistance band exercises.   (I had been putting the band round a chair which we had to move in order to get the Christmas tree up.  Now that's back in it's place I should be able to start doing them again.  The ones I was going to do in place of these involved me using my arms for support.)

• Not been on for a couple of days and loads of training! Feels great to be in week one of a new plan. I'm a bit like you Mr Spoons, take a few plans and use what seemed to work last time. Not many races up here though.

Feel sorry for anyone short of water, been seeing a lot in the news about NI, does that affect your work NP if no water/low pressure?

Nice 5k Freemers, well done!

Have been running every day - treadmill 6m Mon, Tues, outside yesterday for 8.25m but still really icy so 5 miles on TM today. Planning my long run tomorrow instead of Saturday. Have been on turbo most days too which is growing on me!

F

• Sounds like a good workout this morning Mr Spoons.

jasond hope the panto was fun and you get your water back soon.

Very eerie run for me today. It is so foggy and still here. Should have been an easy 6 but ran a bit faster than intended as the country roads felt quite spooooky!

A short run planned for tomorrow to end the year, then a 10k on Saturday to tell me exactly how bad things areimage

• Mr S- wow- lots of swimming and running thereimage

HY4- good to hear your improving and hope it continues quicklyimage

Zion- Boo!!!image Know what you mean about the fog! Worst of all is the way it deadens sound and you can't see or hear anyone or anything until they're almost upon youimage Watched The Hound of the Baskervilles the other night too which didn't help- lol!

Panto was great fun, 6.34m easy was easy- still no water on tap hereimage 

• 8.6 miles am and 7 miles pmimage

Chick great running in the cold, diffrence of 26 deg from last week here!!!!!!

Mr Spoons great running and swimming, pool here closed till Monday I have missed my swims, strange that. I also like a plan and aim for 300+ miles a month till April adding more speed in Feb and Mar.

Gobi hope the weight loss is starting to kick in, it seems harder each year for me so tried to keep the choc intake down over Christmas but it's been hard,

Jason lots of water shortage here no good for firefightingimage great running. oh no you're not!

Zion your right its great without the white stuff.

Fiona nice to see you have had a good weeks training not sure if OH would like me getting a turbo as I only bought the bike early summer and have not used it much. With regards to the water issue we can lift water from rivers, streams and ponds out in the countryimage 

A short run tomorrow will see December being my biggest milage month for the yearimage So everything going well at this stage.

Anyone got any ideas on the new Forum name for the roll over into 2011?

• NP- How about " The Marathon Thread for 2011" just to be different. Good running- but what sort of runs were they? Can imagine the 7 being a recovery, but 8.6-??

We've now got a standpipe being fixed to a fire hydrant in the village- but can't think why if there's no water(and there isn't)-???? NP??? Anyone else???

• Mr Spoons avg pace this morning was 6:48image 7 tonight  8:04image

One of the reasons for the standpipe could be to remove air, air will only compress as much as the pressure is applied water can't be compressed.

• Or "The Thread for Marathons in 2011"

Or "The Marathon Thread - 2011"

Or "2011 - The Marathon Thread"

Or "The Marathon 2011 Thread"
  • Sorry that should have been Jason lol
  • NP- Thanks for the info! image 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NP - we shall see over the next few weeks

HY4 - if it is a 3 day schedule you could pretty much do 1 x long run and 2 speed sessions. This of course assumes you have done the base work first.

Treadmill run at lunchtime and hill work tonight with no issues beyond the weight penalty when running at speed.

As we approach 2011 I know 2 things

1. I have raw speed if the rep is short enough
    2. I have endurance

All I have to do is add the middle bit.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Gobi,

Thanks.  Think I'll save the RW one for the summer once I've got the base.  I'm planning on using Jeff Galloway's 10k plan for my 5 miler in June.

NP,

Would getting the turbo mean you'd use the bike more?

• Popping in to say goodbye to the old thread, not done much over the festive period, starting to vegitate.

Well done to all on your efforts and achievments this year, have a good new year.

• Goodbye 2010. Let's hope I learn lessons from my injuries this year in next years training...
  • Back from Dartmoor. I did intervals on the tready before we left on Tuesday and then a brisk early morning 4 miler in the fog yesterday.

Happy New Year everyone
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

I did an end of year report on another thread & despite all the injury problems I've had this year I've ran about 55 miles more than last year & I've had more time out than last year!  So a pretty good year compared to last year.