Options

Meon Valley Plod 20

Did this last year and smiled all the way round..... grimaced for about 4 days after!!! If you want a challenging 20 miler with fab scenery, cake, sweets and brandy in part of Hampshires most stunning settings then this is the race for  you.  Count me in image

Comments

• Options
    I'm in! My first off road race, in for a penny in for a pound is what I say image
  • Options
    Hiya Ian....you'll love it.  The atmosphere is really good, lot of cameraderie.  It's challenging and extremely hilly...  Did this last year and the weather was good....not sure how i'll cope if it' s rainy but willing to give it a bash.!
  • Options
    After what I read about it, it does seem like a fun event. I was challenged to do it by a contractor I use, who lives in Portsmouth, so I will at least be with someone who has done it before. I've got the Watford 1/2 3 weeks before so I should be either well up for it or completely knackered.
  • Options
    Count me in too! Never done this race before either but I ran a short part of the course yesterday up Winchester hill(?), slipped, slid and nearly went AOT - should be even more fun with 8 more weeks of winter weather on it image
  • Options
    image Sounds like perfect fun to me!!! Can't wait....makes that hot coffee at the top of Butser Hill at mile 18 seem like a desert mirage!!
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Was the brandy involved in that hot coffee Dina? I vaguely remember missing out on something last year. I've done this two years running, it's tough and hilly and can be muddy but the weather has held out for me so far and the views can be spectacular. If it rains expect the chalky soil to become a nightmare combination of slippery and sticky.

There ' s also free cake, I believe the race was partly sponsored by the cake people last year.

• Options
    ;) I believe there may have been a bit of brandy involvement HD..... might be why I fell down at mile 18.5!!! lol!!!
  • Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I'm in, slightly scared about what I have let myself in for though, I struggle to walk up butser hill let alone run image
  • Options
    Most people walk up Butser hun, I shouldn't worry.... you'll be fine, there's plenty of people that take it really slowly.  Have to say, I was amazed by how the leading pack hacked it up that there hill though! Very impressive!
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I've never even considered running up there though I try to make up for it on the downhills. I especially like the fact you can't see it coming, you just turn a corner and there it is.

For anyone contemplating a first marathon, if you can do this race you can do a marathon.

It's really friendly, there's cake and a hose down with a pressure washer at the end. What more could you ask for ?

• Options
    Im doing the Brighton marathon 6 weeks later so hey why not ......!!!Am I mad?image
  • Options
    Yay! the more the merrier.....I did this last year and then Snowdon as my first Marathon in the October.... you're right Helly...it was fab training.
  • Options
    Got my number in the post yesterday. I see from the info that there are 4 water/cake stops.
    Do people find that is enough or is it worth wearing a Camelbak?
  • Options
    Well I always carry a small water bottle, but actually the stops seemed fine to me last year.... Loads of sweeties and bananas and cake....
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Water and food has always seemed sufficient to me, I can't remember if I normally start off with a bottle of something (not brandy) on this one but I've never taken a pack.

I'm not entering any races till  after next weekend when I will get an idea how my dodgy knee is doing but hopefully this will still be on the radar.

• Options

Dina, Helly

Thanks for the info I'll leave the pack at home then.  May stick a couple of gels in my pocket though, just in case. See you on the 28th.

• Options
    Feeling slightly better about having entered this following a hilly 18 miler yesterday.  Just for reference, does anyone know at what mileage the biggest hills are?  Or is it just generally hilly?
  • Options

Pete - I don't think the route has changed much :

http://www.pjc.org.uk/NRacing/MVP/2008_MVP_Profile.jpg

It's not all hills but the flatter bits can be fairly muddy at this time of year making them hard work. It is a tough race.

It's that lift-scrounging time of year again. This place is tricky to get to. Is there anyone out there with room in their car for a little one from either London or Havant area? Happy to share petrol costs.  

• Options

Hello,

If anyone is thinking about entering this race, I have a entry that I can no longer use (as I am injured) and would happily sell on, so someone can have a discounted entry. I have contacted the race director and she is happy for my number to be transfered. I think affiliated entries are £14, unaffiliated are £16 (?) and I would take £8, so could be quite a saving.

PM me if you're interested. It is a great race, I am jealous of those of you who are running it this year!

• Options
    Thanks for the info helly, 5 and a half decent sized hills then.  I am using this as a long slow run in preparation for a (flat) marathon.  Looking forward to getting it done and in the bag.  I will try and enjoy the hills while I am at it.
  • Options

I've only run this race the once...last year....and I believe we were very lucky with the weather.  It wasn't too muddy at all.... hoping to be lucky again this year.  FP, sounds like you'll be fine.  The hills aren't so bad once you're at it and the atmosphere really keeps you going.  I only did one or two 18 mile runs to prepare for this and I can't say they were particularly hilly ones....but then I'm not too hung up about times either...took me 3.43 last year.

I'm also using it as a training run for VLM...so have to make sure I don't go injuring myself!

• Options

On-line entries are now closed. I'd like to wish all this year's participants a great run and Patsie & Ray Ruzewicz (Course Directors) and I look forward to seeing you all on the day! 

• Options

What are people wearing on their feet?

Tarmac runners or trail shoes?

Or is it best to wait and see what the weather has been like in the few days before?

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Any spare entries going?

Please mail me

• Options

Sorry - I still have some postal entries to process and that will take us up to our max capacity.  Hope you can make it next year. Why not try The Slog and Slug in September. Portsmouth Joggers Club hosts this race at Stansted House. 8 or 12 miles approx Lovely route!  Sorry again . Sharon

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RFJ, I take it you've seen Flyaway's post on the previous page.
  • Options

Maca Lad. On the advice of a friend who has run it before I'm wearing my trail shoes.

Oh and if anybody would like a lift from the Watford area let me know.

• Options
    Ran this one twice and yes trail shoes, have a good run all its the Grizzly for me this year. The Plod is a great race/long run.
  • Options
    Bit of a dodgy calf here...but hoping rest for the rest of the week and voltarol and I'll be there.  I did this in my road shoes last year as it wasdry and sunny...but if the rain continues I think off roadies is the way to go....