Ridgeway Challenge 85

Comments

• T-Rex - cheers for the pointers on that and info about the checkpoints. Very useful. May all be a bit redundant as I put my ankle over this week (about a mile or so from Ivinghoe Beacon no less) which has interrupted my training somewhat. 

Helly - mountain marathons are only squalid if you have a cheap tent and forgot to pack the whiskey.

• LOL! We are taking Mrs UB and another friend from the running club as they want to come and support and so we have crew. I know it is not necessary but this means race photography, treats, wardrobe changes !!! and all for the price of a nice hotel for mrs UB!
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Draconian, I'm all in favour of a decent tent but sloe gin would probably be my tipple of choice in winter . I've yet to take training seriously as I'm currently distracted by the world cup and the weather.

UB - is  the Tanners start easy enough to get to from Hassocks station as I'm a public transporteer?

Jerry - although I may be initially faster on the day I think my lack of training tends to show later on I don't know whether to try this one as a 25 / 5 run / walk or just go for it while it's still daylight.

• Helly - sloe gin is good. Lots of sloe bushes near the beginning of the Ridgeway but August is a bit early for them.

"Taking training seriously" - I've heard of this concept before. Is it worth trying?

• .... "lots of slow bushes near the beginning of the Ridgeway"

Are you talking about me?

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Totally off topic but last year I picked my first batch of sloes on August bank holiday .  Just a pity they're at the beginning rather than the end.
  • Just managed to get by entry in on the last day for this one at the reduced rate before it goes up!!! image Its amazing what saving £12 will make you do!! I really could decide whether to leave this one til next year or bite the bullet and go for it. I figure what the hell lets do this image

A few familar names on here too... Hi DWB!  I thought our paths would cross again since the cancellation of the D100. I think the Ridgeway is going to be the perfect replacement!! Have you been training for this one since March once finding out? I kinda have... Ran the FLM and got  pb, then took on the Fellsman which was absolutely emmence!! A stunning event which every ultra running must do in my opinion (and 3 UTMB qualifying pts too) which added to the 3 for the Ridgeway makes 6!! partly my reasoning for jumping in on this one I guess...

anyway look forward to more banter before the big off... see you soon. disco stu

• Hi Stu

good to see you again ! My training has been limited to marathons this year other than the country to capital 45 back in January. Last few months I have been 'winging' it - mara's every 2nd or 3rd week with very little in between! I have a plan in place for this one but it is to finish rather than anything else! Well done on the pb, i haven't quite got one this year yet but abingdon was ideal last Novermber and is a hard one to match for time.

• Just found this race and am up for this one. I'm training for Hardmoors at the moment so will be a good insight into running through the night.
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Sunshine. I'm sure I remember you posting on another race thread I'd done earlier in the year, possibly one that you had to pull out of.

Less of that training talk please, it's still too hot.

Mr Blofeld - I'm tempted to say we have been expecting you (/strokes white cat) image

Night runners - have you got any particular headtorch recommendations?

• I've used a Petzl Myo XP for quite a while and think it does a more than adequate job for the money. Check the small print when buying a torch, particularly the duration/output curve.
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Dino, I'm not experienced enough to know what's good or bad with these things On the two occasions I've needed one I've used one already in my posession which worked fine in foul conditions when I had company  but I suspect would be lacking a little firepower were I  on my own in the dark.
  • Oo! Oo! A question to an answer I know.

I got myself an Alpkit Gamma headtorch back in December which let me run at a reasonable pace in the dark (albeit on good and familiar trails) and it's only £12.50.(When it was covered in snow, it lit up the whole damn forest!)

It's lighter than the Petzl Myo (118g rather than 175g) but marginally heavier than the Petzl Tikka XP (95g).  Max range is possibly less than the Myo XP (which sell for about £55+) but for most of the Ridgeway, it probably won't be too much of an issue. 

Basically, it's a bargain and get's really good reviews. I'll be using it (if I survive until that part of the race).

Site: http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

Reviews: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-reviews/alpkit-gamma-headtorch---quick-test/5174.html
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=187830

• I too have heard only good things about the Alpkit Gamma, and an absolute bargain, but they always seem to be out of stock so good luck in getting one. I didn't manage to so ended up with a Myo XP, (brand new off ebay for £37) and i have to say it is excellent with oodles of power in comparison to my Petzl Tikka, although to be honest on most occasions the Tikka is adequate for the job but us boys like our toys!!!!!!
  • Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

Helly d I use a Petzl Tikka XP, managed to buy it with some prize moneyimage

I have also bought a very cheap LED ruggedised  torch which I tie to my shoulder strap with elastic bands and extremely useful for map reading in low light. I may get a second one. If memory srves me right it was about £3 from Milletts.

• I'm on the Petzl Tikka XP. I have to say I have only used it once in Snowdon but my mate borrowed it when he climbed Kilimanjaro and said it was really good.

We will just have to remember not to look at each other during the night stage for fear of blinding each other!

Hope training is going well in the run up to the big one. I am off up to Fairlands Marathon in stevenage on sunday. Anyone else there?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/UKUltra/forum is the alternative discussion zone for those who are interested in discussion and also running this

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

Now we are on the subject of head torches, I have found that wearing a Buff/bandana/hat on the head. When the elastic strapping gets damp from rain and/or sweat it does tend to loosen up and the headwear just about keeps it comfortable.

My favourite time wearing one was at the Country to Capital which stretches along the Grand Union Canal and the look on some of the dog walkers was a picture as 2  of us ran past. One man even asked if it was for "Elfen safety", I do believe my ultrarunning pixies and woodland friends were indeed safe that night.image

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I am now in possession of an Alpkit Gamma.  They are most definitely in stock, I suspect you just didn't want a pink one mr. immuneimage. They are also the ones I prefer with a strap over the head despite the fact that they probably make you look even dorkier (then again, no-one ever looks cool in a head torch).

Jerry ,  I now have a vision of you lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm tempted to order some glowsticks or those bendy ones you can connect into bracelets etc.

Still not really training though I'm coming up for Fairlands as long as I get up in time. Apparently there's a barbie afterwards..

• Helly D - If they had pink in stock when i looked they would have had another sale (maybe!)
  • great to hook up with you Helly D for the first time this weekend at the Downland 30 (there are some good photos on the sussex sport website). I really like that run/walk strategy that we employed as felt fine to run 10 the next day and have no ill effects whatsoever. Mail me through the RW system to swap numbers if you do need anything crew-wise as you can dump any heavier night gear to pick up later or food parcels etc.
  • Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

I have been going over my map of the Ridgeway and note that at various places along the way there are water supplies marked on the map

1. Grimsdyke Cottage (660 872)
    2. Hill barn (338855)
    3. Southend (198734)

To name but a few. To anyones knowledge are these actually potable water.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

That was a strategy UB?? Ahem, of course it was,  a test of bouncebackabilityimage Good day all round, meeting some people I knew and some I didn't and a few unexpected views.  Quads a bit sore, may consider invest ing in some of those compression thingies.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you when I get my act together.

• Good stuff. Hope you have recovered already.

Jezza. The water taps are potable and are generally in the western side of the ridgeway. I think they are for horses? But a quick search on the net shows that they are drinkable from the tap......not the trough! Not sure that we will be able to spot these easily as it will be night time

HD; by unexpected views I expect you are meaning the naked rambler???!!!! What a sight to behold as we climbed Ditchling Beacon!!

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

I had the same idea about visibility but was thinking that I could reduce a little weight if they were accessible but our personalities and sunny dispositions should cut through the dark and see them with no problems image....not

I am very relieved to hear they are taps and not troughs

• Hi Jerry, Bobban

How are things going? I asume, like me, that this week and next are your last 2 BIG mileage weeks before a slow 3 week wind down, or maybe not as i know Jerry, you sometimes do a steep week / 10 day taper. I myself am going to try and kick the a**e out of the mileage these next 2 weeks as i am feling like i need to see how much i can reasonably cope with now i am at a good level of fitness and have many 60+ mile weeks under my belt. Only thing that will make it difficult is the 9 - 5 of work and of course family life, but here in lies the challenge i suppose.

Bobban - If it is logistically possible for you i would like to take you up on your offer of doing a few runs together. Give me a call or drop me a mail at work and we can discuss in detail.

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

Immune, I am hammering out the next two weeks and am averaging ~60 miles on a floating 7 day average although it took a bit of a hammering because of the 50 Mile Challenge last week. This week is a difficult one as I am flying out to Canada on Sunday for 2 weeks but have a great trail/old railway line to run along that goes on and on and on. I have been warned about very early morning runs due the wild life as we are right out in the sticks and I am assured I cannot out run a black bear!!!!!!

So should be able to get about 55 miles in this week then if the holiday timetable allows it about 65 miles in next week and then I will begin to shave off the miles but keep going at very easy runs.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Heh, you lot are either going to leave me for dust or get caught up in some terrible water trough related incident  image

UB - so many people seem to have seen the naked rambler I'm beginning to suspect he was actually doing the race.

Jerry  - I believe black bears are the nervous ones (as opposed to grizzlys) and accepted wisdom is to run towards them making  a lot of noise rather than run away. I could be wrong.

If  can't find a race this weekend I may have to actually try a proper  LSR by myself.

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

Helly, you will be fine you always leave me in plumes of your trail dust, I am sure it was Beachy Head or was it the Doyen where I lost you either in the mist at BHM 2009 or the mud rivers of Doyen 2009.

I hope I get your advice right, so if I do come across a trough on the Ridgeway I run towards it making a lot of noise.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Jerry - I suspect you will do that anyway, my advice notwithstanding.......