Talkback: Six Common Beginner Excuses

2»

Comments

• no excuse even for not having the right shoes:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

• DazTheSlug wrote (see)

no excuse even for not having the right shoes:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I don't think that's too bad an idea as it goes....

I wouldn't be using it on new shoes though, and of course you'd have to be careful that none of the screws went too far in and affected your foot positioning etc.

• My boobs are smaller but so am I. They look about right on my frame and they are a much better shape than they were pre joggling! So I prefer the post-fitness-mad pair!

Hmmm, well I would tend to agree- the range of excuses grows with experience... today it was the ice! To be fair I do not want an injury (hinder marathon training) so sucombed to the treadmill- did 10miles on the thing felt like a right goon at the gym but I DID IT image hardest 10miles I have ever done, mentally very difficult! Another one of mine is if I wake up a little late 'oh no I've missed it, I can't possibly fit a run in now...' Whatever, what kind of wimpy excuse is that?

I shall carry on running until I can not anymore- then I shall be glad I did because if I were told I couldn't run I would be inconsoliable (Sp)!

I run because I am obsessed... nothing more or less. I want to know how far I can go, how fast, how bad the weather can be, how muddy... etc!

If I leave the house fighting my brain and the pavement (by that I mean making it harder for myself by putting my self down, scalding myself for not going faster etc) then I shall not enjoy the run too much but if I leave the house and am my own best friend (congratulating myself when I finally make it out the front door etc) then I shall enjoy it. The way I see it is I am going to do the god damn run no matter what so I choose to do it suffering or in relative pleasure.... lol!!

Pain is inevitable, suffering optional. Off track now arent I?

• Infact... we need to make excuses and not run every so often because (wait for it) it will make you feel much better when you do finally go- probably better than if you go every time you are scheduled to go. If that makes sense!

Big yourselves up people, who cares, we are all doing it and we are all doing it again.... So enjoy it! Enjoy the burning lungs, and the blisters as much as the glory and endorphine (Is that the thing that is released in to the bloodstream? I think so) buzz.... you may even get the 'runners high' then it is all worth it! You are experiencing things- this is life!

Don't let anything stand in your way (well not for long) cus these excuses really aren't worth listening too, are they? Really?

• I have been running for a year now - and cannot wait each day. Agree with the threads on running in the snow - did a great 10K today along the canals (and met several other hardy runners also out pounding the snow lumps flat).

To get started I have used three things that have all helped in no order!

1. A good (but not expensive) fitted pair of trainers from a proper running shop

2. I am a data fiend so I invested in a Garmin GPS watch and log all my running (over a 1000K now!) - this is highly motivating and allows you to easily measure your own performance.

3. Finally,  a great mate of mine (and a very experienced runner of some 30 years) ran with me on many occasions and paced me such that I was completely kn*ckered at the end of every run - but we completed every run! 

Just some suggestions. Everyone responds different - 10 months ago I really couldnt run 750 meters, I now run 45 minute 10K's (and have lost over 15 kilos). If I can do it - anyone can!

Good Luck 

• <!--[if gte mso 9]> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" N