for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Thanks Strange one....    And a big well done on the tredi.....imageimage 

How you hip and toes???

I've been putting a long play list together for my long runs .. I need out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image  I know I need to wait but it's hard lol...image I know if my throat had been ok me and a freind had planned our  first run     together in about 3 half week! 

Going shop now for some ice pops...image

• Sorry about that Strange One!  Won't tell you that this week's lsr is 10 miles for me and at the moment look's like that'll be on the dreadie tooimage

Mo - have you downloaded 101 Songs for Runners or Ministry of Sound Running Trax?  I have the tunes - now need to get outside to put them to the test LOLimage

• I downloaded the MOS Running Trax ones and I'm not really impressed. There are a couple of good tunes on there, but most of it is crap tbh. Think I'll stick with my own homemade running playlist image

Get well soon Mo. Take it easy and don't start back at it before you're ready or you'll put yourself out for even longer!! ((((hugs))))

Congrats on the award Ecky. You deserve it :image

Well done on your epic dreadmill run Strange One. I simply couldn't do 9+ miles on one. I'm tearing my hair out bored to tears after just 15 minutes. I also get far too hot in the gym. Things seem to be easing up here outside, so I'll be able to start my speed sessions & hillwork soon. Can't really do that in ice and slush, it's a bit dangerous!!

Rest day for me yesterday & running club tonight. Need to do 4-5 miles tempo so I might go out with the quicker group if I can keep up. Eek!! 

• Oh that's bad news LK - I ordered MOS cd from Amazon and it hasn't arrived yet - oh well, it was only to keep me company in the garage on my epic dreadie runs c'est la vie!
  • Morning all!

ET - well done on the award

Trigger and Strange One - well done on the epic dreadie sessions

Mo - belated happy birthday - hope you're feeling better soon

Went out for 2nd club night last night - the handicap race was cancelled due to the weather, and the school we meet at was shut, so we went to the pub instead (not just for drinking! We did a run from there first!) - according to Nike+ we did 4.55 miles and I did it at 8:20 pace - really chuffed, as I know I wouldn't have bothered running that far if I was on my own!

Have managed to blag a one week free trial at local gym, so will get to use treadies there this week whilst there is still snow and ice about - it has started to thaw around here though, so hopefully it will be gone by next week.

Have also been talked into doing a 10k race on 24th Jan

• Well done to everyone who has got out runnign lately. I only run in the gym on the treadmill. I normally manage half an hour of running and walking and am getting to just over 4k so a long way to go yet but it is getting easier and I am able to increase my pace a lot more.

Strange one - Well done on the epic session on the treadmill, amazing.

My plan today is to go into town to the running shop and see if they can fit me for a nice new pair of trainers as my others are getting old and I can feel my knees starting to hurt.

Snow and Ice is thawing out with us in Cardiff and wheras the forecast today was for another huge blizzard, overnight this has changed to rain. Rubbish in some ways but good for getting out and about.

• Hi guys...image

Been docs got Tonsillitis...image image  Fingers crossed I'll be out at the weekendimage

Back later hope your all ok and manage to get OUT!!!

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    get bettter soon mo ....
  • Get better soon, and stay inside in this stoopidly cold weather xxx
  • Morning... yes Mo, good advice to you.. keep sucking the ice pops and let the antibiotics kick in.. you will soon be back and weather should be better by then too..

Rest day for me todayimage .. I have found I can only run about 3 times a week or injuries start playing up.  How often do you all get out running?  I use the exercise bike in between to compensate!

Claire..like the use of the word "epic"!! image don't think anything I have done has ever been described as that..

Trigger... 10 miles???  Not sure I can keep up with you I'm afraid, but you shall be on my mind and an inspiration!!  How long did it take you to do the 9?  I am hoping my treadmill is not lying to me!  It was not ridiculous expensive and wonder how accurate.. I ran at a rate of between 7 and 7.5, was on for 1hr 20 mins, and burned 1160 calories ..... does this sound about right?  Novice talking you can tell!

Thanks all for your supportive messages too...

• I would say that the treadmill is fairly accurate... sounds similar to what my gym one would give me xx
  • Thanks Claire... breathes sigh of relief!

I am still learning about distances/times etc.  How do you all measure your runs??  In the Summer I measured routes by driving the distance in the car and then running them and timing myself.  Longest measured is just short of 7 miles, so need to get driving round I think!!  Have only upped the mileage recently due to my possible half marathon end of March!

Trig.. not sure about 10 miles.. will give it a go... maybe though I am allowed to do half your distance as you are training for a full and I am training for a half??? image  You are an inspiration anyway..and obviously that is on my mind on the dreadie and keeps me going

Mo.. thanks for asking... hip surprisingly not too bad today, and toes bit sore but bearable image

• Strange One - I was on there almost as long as you and you went further (and faster!).  My spead was between 7 and 7.2 and I was on there for 1hr 15 so well done you!  My schedule steps back a bit next week (7 miles) and then starts building again. Hal Higdon probably does a schedule for HM as well so google him and take a look.  As for distances when running outside I've got a Garmin which does all the work for you - tells you how far, speed etc.  Well worth the money if you're planning on sticking with running.  Pavements still unsafe around here so 3 miles on the treadie tonightimage
  • Thanks you lot ....image

Yes just waiting for antibiotics to kick in !!! Thought I'd blast the house with cold FRESH AIR today opened all windows and hopefully blew the bugs away image..

Strange One, Garmin's well worth there money! I used to map my runs until I bought one of those like Trigger said if your going to continue with the running there greatimage

You could go to ( map my run) until then.

You see the pic on sign in page?? The RW pacers that was taken at the HM I do lol, I run with them great guys big thumbs up to them they do a brill job..image 

Back later keep up the good work ...image

• Couldn't stay in any more..image

So I've been outimage 4mile

Found it hard but had my water so I was ok ish..image

It's really bad under foot  glass ice....!!!!!!

Be carefull every one if your going out!!!

• Just thought I'd pop in and say hello on the shiney new thread.

Happy New Year to you all and hello to all the new people that have joined!

My name is Lil Ms Squirrel (aka Becks) and I'm currently not running and really fat and will be back to being a beginner when the weather is better....oh and when my stomach is much less fat...which is roughly seven weeks away...plus the mandatory six weeks rest...darn, I have to wait another 13 weeks before I can run???? image

Mo well done running four miles today. image I managed to drive less than that before abandoning my car and walking back home.  Most exercise I've had in months!

• Naughty!!  Hows the throat?  don't blame you though... Snowing like mad here, so going to have an hour on the exercise bike shortly and then try run again tomorrow (treadmill probably!)

Trig and Mo thanks for the advice about the garmin... do you have the watch or just hand held thingy? Also had a look on map my run website...brill stuff, just need a little time to do it and didn't last night..

Hope you all have a good day image

• Morning all.

Glad you survived your run safely Mo.  Take care though.  I've resigned myself to the dreadie for the rest of the week.  Don't want to risk injury as I'd be gutted if I couldn't do Brighton Marathon through lack of caution.

Strange One - it's the watch - check out ebay as well, you can sometimes pick up a bargain on there!

Club AGM last night and I stood for Vice Chair and was voted in.  LOL what have they let themselves in for?

Keep safe.  School still open today but it's very snowy here at the mo.  I can't remember snow like it! 

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Snowed loads here last night, roads gone back to being covered  and paths are terrible, so looks like I will be doing runs on treadie aswell all week ...... was supposed to be doing a LSR of 9 miles tomorrow, but I have now put that off until weekend in the hope that the snow will go .......

Careful Mo, dont push it, too much too soon

Strangeone - I have a garmin 205, was going to upgrade to a newer version for xmas, but decieded not too, as the one I have does what I need it to do ! it uses GPS, and tells you speed, distance, calories and maps your route and you can download it all onto the computer .... Ive had mine for about 3 years now and wouldn't know what to do without it, well worth investing in if you are going to keep running ... look on ebay if a bit pricey for a used one !

Hey LMS ! hope you are taking it easy in the snow, those weeks will fly by and it will be great to have you back , been missing you !

• Helllllo LMS..image

Happy new year !!!!  Glad your well, not long now..image Keep us up to date wont you??

I would like to say my throat was OK but it's not my own fault!! image Mind you it would of still been painfull had I not run so at lest I got out..image

Strange one I have the 305 and wouldn't be without it now ! You could also use the Nike plus chip if you use a Ipod...I started with that before I got the garmin..

Trigger,  Congratulations image Chair lady..image I did get the 101 running songs some time ago it rocks good mix of old and new!!!

Hope your all well image

• Thanks Albs,  I will just worried as I've the HM on 21st feb and not really done my normal runs for about 4 week   feel like i'm running out of time...image
  • Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey LMS!!! image Good to see you. Can't believe it's only 7 weeks. ARRRRRRRGH! Nervous??? How exciting image

Well done on your run Mo!! I wouldn't worry about your HM. You have a good base level of fitness, so I reckon a couple of LSR's and you'll be fine for the half marathon. You don't lose the fitness that quickly. It's all in the head!

Sorry to hear the snow has blown your LSR plans Albs. Here's hoping for a quick melt! I'm supposed to be racing on Sunday and then running home, but it looks like it'll be cancelled so I'm going for a cross country LSR instead image

Well done on getting club chair trigger image I'm a committee member. No responsibilities for me though. Have enough of those at work!! We've got a meeting tomorrow actually.

strange one - another vote for a Garmin. I have a 405 (dead posh me image ) and absolutely love it. I really couldn't be without it now. Only problem is when I forget to charge it and the battery either dies before I go out or halfway round. Duuuuh!!!
  • Hello all! Bloomin snow image Did a treadmill run last night - wanted to do 6 miles, but did 3 and was bored. I used to do treadmill runs all the time at another gym and I was fine, but the leisure centre I went to the treadies face a wall, so not much of a view. Seemed to make it even more monotonous, and there was nothing good on TV either - still better than being cooped up like I was the week before.

Mo - hope you start seeing signs of being better soon.

LMS - good luck! New babies is a well exciting time!

Well done on your appointment trigger

Strange One - I'll vouch for Nike+ - don't think it's as accurate as garmin, but it's there or there abouts, and is a cheaper option.

• Thank goodness for the heavy rain this morning.  With any luck the snow will all be gone in time for my 10 miles on Sunday.

FT the dreadie is boring but if it has to be................  I'm just very stubborn and nothing was going to throw me off schedule!

Hope all are well.image

• Hello..........is this a secure line............ Right, cant talk for long, think i'm being watched..........

Your secret is leaking out, some of us long term chubbies have been sneaking a look at the RW in the newsagents and trying out this running thing.........

Thing is, it seems running is the answer!!!!

Lost 3 stone and found out that after a hard day at work, and coming home grumpy, running is like pressing ctrl/alt/del on the keyboard, it just refreshes your head!

Unless you wany everybody running, you are going to have to do something!

Anyway, need to go dark again in case the diet company hitmen are watching..........

Kmd

• KMD.... I like it!    imageimage

Well I'm starting to feel better...image yeh !!!   

Just waiting for the rain, can you belive that! then I'm going out...image Just a plod but i'll be out and that will do.

Hope you are all well and getting out..image

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

image got out for a run today ! yippeee !!!!image

first one outside for a week and it was nice to be in the fresh air !

welcome Kmd - hope the hitman didn't get you ! he he ! very good !!!

hope everyone is well x

• Hi everyone..

Glad some of you have managed to get outside... still not here, but did do 7.5 miles on the treadie yesterday so at least keeping the legs going.          Thanks everyone for advice on the garmin... would love one, but hubby got me a baby G sports watch for xmas to time my runs so feel only fair to wait a bit before hinting for another watch.. will use the website though to map my runs and keep driving round!!!!  Maybe next Christmas!!

Mo.. glad you feeling better image

Albion.. jealous you been in the fresh air!!

Kmd..?  you are right though, lost a stone myself in 12 months since running ... ssshh!

Trig... nought wrong with the treadie...needs must image  Everyone else... have a great weekend, speak soon

• Results were out yesterday for Mirror GNR ballot that I'd entered - REJECT!  Now have to wait until the results of the main ballot on 8 February to find out whether I win a place through that.  Never mind at the mo with OH out of work it's an expense I could probably do withoutimage
  • Hello all. Not been around lately as not much been happening. Twisted ankle before Christmas then flu over new year took me right out of action for a few weeks. Starting pretty much from scratch again. Managed a mile run/walk on the treadie last Saturday, lungs still not quite ready for much more than that - was quite painful. Then another 1.5 on thursday night, lungs felt a lot better, but still not quite back to normal. Felt a bit dizzy in the shower after and thought maybe I'd overdone it, but spent the whole night up and down with a really nasty tummy upset image
    Tummy settled now, but still very wobbly so may be another couple of days before i get another run in.
    Not the best of starts to the year, but the only way is up!!

Have had a quick skimback of what you've all been up too, but now off to read back properly image