for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Bless him! its sorted then you gotta join him & be daisy do & you gotta upload the photos kids will love it , costumes are a winner & create a giggle & who doesn't love a balloon or two ? i hope its a great fundraising event

• So what did you ladies think of that then? Apart from the abysmal start (I was stuck behind the barriers next to the ICC when the race started. It was a proper scrum. Horrible!!), I really enjoyed myself. I was suprised there weren't as many people on the streets supporting as there were for Leics, but enjoyed the drums and music on the way round.

I managed 1:50:26 which I'm pretty happy with given that my toenails are still quite poorly. One is very sore again after yesterday. I didn't even bother taking my trainers off until I got home. Figured it was best not to see the damage, lol

My friend who was running her first half managed 2:52. So proud of her image She went off for beers & a burger instead. I don't know how she had the energy for it!!! 

Choc - I managed to get a lift from my brother's GF for Leics Marathon, but drove to/from their house. I wasn't too bad after the race. I even came home and mowed the lawn image However then I got really tired, went to bed and that's when I woke up with aching stiff legs.The cold bath, although horrible, did work wonders. This time so soon after London earlier in the year, I couldn't have run a half!

• Hi LK HUGE well done to you,thats a brilliant time,even without bad toes and was it 3 weeks since you Marathon.Abysmal start indeed,we set off and came to a standstill so had to walk for a bit due to bottleneck. Had really good race,felt very comfy all the way round,didnt push too much as really wanted to keep running the whole way which I did,yippeeeeeeeeeee.Had enough energy for sprint finnish across the line then 10m before it,stuck jammed as people had backed up over it,6 mins later I crossed the line so even though I did it in 2.15 roughly (Hubby Timed me) My chip time says 2.21,which was still amazing for me,spesh as last year I did 2.56 .I felt really rough all afternoon and was shattered by bed time,I sure couldnt have managed a burger and pint,tell your M8 well done from me too,thats brilliant for a first half.
  • Hi everyone! Well done for yesterday! Lk, that is such a good time, the sort of times i really want to aim for next year. And Ecky, well done to you too, I got a similar time to you, 2.16, and that was according to my uncles stopwatch (he ran with me) that included a pee stop; we had to stop for my uncle to pee !!(that was really funny, all those blokes lined up against walls.) and we also had a slow start and had to queue to cross the finish line. I couldn't belive that, a bit of a let down, expecially as we had ran pretty much full pelt down that last street. I'm still pleased with our stopwatch time, spesh seeing as it was my first half. I've got something to beat now!!

I do think i've caught an illness though, from queueing in the cold so long to collect goody bags/get dechipped, etc. My muscle aches seem about 15 times magnified. image Ahhhh well.

I hope everyone is on the road to recovery, and Choc- Get Better Soon!!

• Clarkeygirl thats an amazing time,well done to you,spesh as you had a wee stop in there too.lol. We did cheer at a whole line of peeing fellas,it was so funny as we had only just started.I was gutted at the end as I had charged the last bit too,oh well at least we know how well we did.I do hope you feel better soon.
  • Well done both, those are fantastic times! So proud of you image Really glad you had a good race too, apart from the bottleneck over the finish line. Woohoo!!! We did good image

• Hi LK,we sure did good.Im still smiling about Sun,legs ache today though,mind you Boxing was not a good idea last night.lol.I had to refuse when it came to squats.

How is everyone else today.Im guna have a good few days rest now,may have a little plod at the weekend.

• Feeling suprisingly good actually, especially given that I'd run a marathon 2 weeks previous. I had quite a bit of time to kill at the end waiting for my friends, so apart from trecking to/from "Size?" in the middle of Brum to fetch some trainers my other half wanted, I spent quite a lot of time stretching. It made a big difference. No aches at all yesterday apart from a sore toe. Burst the blister under the nail and it's OK today. Got a massage booked next Thurs before Rutland Marathon.

Make sure you are still stretching Ecky. It'll help your recovery image

• Hey all sounds like an interesting run last weekend.   I've read other posts & it sounds like Birmingham have got some serious organisation issues to sort for next year despite this you all sound elated for taking part,  well done on times (cgirl gr8 time for 1st 1/2 you must be beaming!),  enough energy for sprint finish (ecky check you out !)  & finishing in one piece (LK are you crazzzzy? a marathon 2 wks later a 1/2 then another marathon!!!!  with very sore toes!!   Are you human?  Whats next for you Olympians? I went for a trot on mon to test the lungs as colds on the mend & was ok,  back out 2moz & then 6m on sat.   really looking forward to it gonna treat myself to a new running jacket if i do the 6 without stopping that's my inner blackmail, once got round a 10m blackmail run for a dress,  the run was hell but i felt smug whilst wearing the dress! heck i digress!  PS have seen a 10k run at Wesham might give it a go

• Chocmonster,it makes a change from me staggering over.lol. They really do have some issues to sort but tbh,it didnt really spoil the day,I am still on a highimage.Glad you had a good run and you are feeling better,mmmm blackmail runs sound like a good idea,I may try that. I think you should do that 10k,I wish we had a race coming up,sposed to be doing C/C but our would be team is either poorly sick or injured.Hi LK,I have been good and stretched,dont feel too bad now,took kids for swim which was lovely for me old pins.lol

I have been resting up this week.I have decided to take it easy for a couple of weeks and then start getting fitter for next season.I went back to Slimming World last night to try and lose the last of my weight.I have been very good so far,got to try and be good tomorrow,going wetherspoons with my m8's for breccie.

Hope everyone else is good.

• Hellooooo! Just been reading back to have a catch up and realised it's almost 2 months since I last visitedimage
    Some fantastic running going on I seeimage Well done all on the Birmingham half.

I think last time I posted I was supposed to be running a mile a day - well that didn't last, life just got in the way. But I have been run/walking 3-4 times a week. and went back to running club about a month ago. Oh yes and back at netball.

Despite all that I seemed to have got to a bit of a standstill - I was finding it very hard to push myself to go further, and kept giving in to the voice that tells me to stop running and start walking. Well, I was out last Friday with some 'running types' and one of them decided I needed a challenge to spur me on, and this challenge is in the form of a half marathon in the spring.

So I have the Brentwood half in my sights, which is on 20 March and just 5 miles from home! Will be a bit of a push for me given I can only just run a mile at the moment!!

So I have until mid December to get up to 3-4 miles continuous running and then will follow the Hal Higdon 12 week plan to get up to the HM distance - scary!!!

And now my plans are out there in the open hopefully it will keep me on track and you guys can nag me if you think I'm slacking!!!
  • I have only one thing to say to that Kwala , COME ON YOU CAN DO IT.( and no slacking). I must admit the walking voive is a right pain in the bum,I had it again today for the first time in ages.I did 3 miles and it killed me.I have put it down to giving blood on Weds,it does knock confidence though which is something I tend to struggle with. We will be with you all the way,I have every confidence in you.
  • Thanks for the vote of confidence Ecky image
    Got started with 1.5 mile run/walk tonight - just gotta do that another 8 times and I'm there!!
  • Well done Kwala,see  nearly there image.
  • I came back and the thread died - was it something I said?

2 miles run /walk on the treadie for me tonight, it was really tough - I've definitely got my work cut out for the next few months. I think shifting a bit of this extra lard I'm carrying will help too, so healthy eating plan starts tomorrow! Think that bit might be harder than the running!!
  • Lol Kwala,Im the threadslayer around here.You will get there with determination.I have started back at diet club,Im not finding it easy,spesh as we have so many choccies in the house.I always get too many sweets for the trick or treaters.
  • Hello all hows the early dark nights suiting you all?  Hope you all had a good w'end carving up pumpkins & running of course, Ecky you really are supposed to give the trick or treaters the sweets but i like your thinking!  Been out since your 3miler?  Its awful when your minds up for it but it doesn't connect with your feet. Had that feeling on my blackmail run felt like a ruddy pumpkin all the way & was well under my 6m target which was very disappointing, ti's ok though, satisfied my failure with a 10 portion  M&s chocolate cake which i proceeded to demolish over 2days oops!  Guess ill need a bigger size in that jacket I'm gonna buy when i eventually hit that 6m,  ill  take a leaf outa kwalas book & eat less lard but  i have to admit apart from that little blip im more active & the weight just aint melting away hows sw going Ecky?  Hi Kwala I'm new to this thread and love to check in just before i go for a run if poss it motivates me to read other blogger's highs & lows & reminds me I'm not the only one who's a bit unhinged!!!!
  • Been to running club tonight - gotta love those guys, they always make me do more than I think I can. So although I was walking more than I do on the treadie, the running bits were faster image 3.8 miles in 50 minutes image
    Healthy eating not got off to the best start - took cakes to work yesterday for my birthday (which was a week ago, but I was off work last week), and ate loads myself, and have had chips followed by a doughnut for supper tonight. New start tomorrow maybe?
  • Hi Chocmonster,I did resist the sweets,still got a lot left tho as not many trick or treaters.Im doing well with SW so far,weigh in tomorrow night so will see how good then.I did deviate slightly today with 3 custard creams.lol.I clean for an elderly lady and she always gives me tea and biccies,would be too rude to refuse. I managed an hours run on Sun with 2 walk breaks but Im ok with that. I do struggle to lose weight too when Im training,Im sure its muscle building up.

MMMMMM cake,did you save us some Kwala.I would start tomorrow,you have to have some treats.

Well nothing much to report today.Went boxing last night,very hard sesh and it killed me,I may try a little run tomorrow.

• Sorry Ecky, cakes all gone - they're a right greedy lot that I work with lol! I've been warned that with the extra mileage I'm going to be doing I will be getting hungrier, I really need to get a grip on what I'm eating and make sure I start fuelling with healthy stuff rather than just pigging out on crap.
    I used to do a bit of boxing with my PT so know how knackering it is, can't imagine doing a full session of it.

Chocmonster - you're right, the forum in general and this thread in particular, is very motivational. It can be quite isolating (not quite the word I'm looking for, but I'm sure you know what I mean) if you don't have friends or family around you who get why you run. 'unhinged' is a great way to describe our little running family!!
  • Kwala - You did fantastic last night. You should take Kaz up on her offer. You should enter the Serpentine New Years Day 10k again and do it this year. I am still thinking should I do it or not.
  • Went out tonight in my new fluorescent top didn't realise its glow would light up my red face even more alas not a  pretty sight  image     but safer now that's is dark.  Ive got mixed feelings with the day glo kit i want to be seen to be safe but don't want to draw attention to myself but i prefer running at night its my relax time how about you lot have you got a best time to run or do you fit it in when you can??  Ecky hope sw was successful tonight i sometimes buy the mag to read the inspirational stories but find myself polishing off a large bag of maltesers at the same time which ain't right really!  Kwala you cant have  a belated birthday celebration without cake & your covering some miles so a little wont hurt or am i in denial?! Well done on your 3.8, your running club buddies sound motivating 10k on New Years day yep unhinged alright!!!!!

• Lol Chocmonster,I love my dayglo jacket,the kids at School always laugh at me in my neons.I managed to lose 3.5lb.I have lost 3st 8lb according to their records although I had lost nearly a stone before I joined them.Im very chuffed. Well done on getting out in the dark,I like it better,not much abuse then.

Nothing for me today,need to go for a run tomorrow and maybe a long one Sun.I dont want to get out of the habit.

• lol CM, a bit like me watching biggest loser while eating a family size bag of crisps!!

Great going Ecky, you loser!! image

Didn't manage my planned run tonight, got stuck at work and was completely pooped when I got in - seeing as I'm still awake 2 hours later I maybe could've fitted a quickie in, but hey ho, I have time to catch up.
  • Yey Im such a LOOOOOOOOSER,lol. mmmmmmmm,I do love eating though,big bag maltesers and family pack of crisps together,proper hardcore me.lol

Im so exited,I mailed my biggest achievement in to Womens Running mag which at the time was being able to run 11miles solid in training.I told them all about Cammie and why I run and how I struggled etc and they are putting it in Jan edition of the mag which is on sale from 25th Nov.I just hope it helps people to keep going cos as we all know,this aint always easy.

No running for me today,walking into town with my friend though so will clock up a few miles,need to get back into  it though,Im slacking now,kick up the bum please.image

• *pulls on big kicking boots and gets ready to take aim* I'll give you a chance to get out there before I kick!!

Great news about the article, Ecky, I'll look out for it. I hope it raises awareness for your fundraising as well as inspiring others to keep going image

My netball match was cancelled last night, so I did a little plod on the treadie to make up for missing Wednesday's scheduled run. Just 1.5 miles but every little helps!!

• Ok, 5 min head start please.lol. Im guna give it a go on Sun,try a little plod again.I will go with a running buddy that will hopefully encourage me to keep going.I did walk for miles yesterday and will do the same today,just to keep the legs moving and get rid of this last bit of weight.Sorry your match was cancelled,well done on the treddie run though.Every little does help,you will soon be back out there doing long runs.
  • Hi all where are you???? out running of course, silly ickle me!  forgive my absence been to Munich for a city break but home & raring to go especially after weighting myself in Boots today oh the shame i swear the security guy was tempted to ask me to leave before i broke the electronic scales although my loud gasp may have caught his attention with the rest of the shop! Why do they always place the scales by the entrance? I'm already humiliated de-robing down to my earring's to save a lb or two without half of my town witnessing me!!  I'm the heaviest I've ever been so I'm a woman on a mission just gotta eat that duty free toblerone i brought back first!   Once read ' when you go for a run the lean muscle does all the work the fat just comes along for the ride' simple really, thinking of changing my name to salad-muncher now that I'm going to be all saintly!image Not! 

Ecky great news all round, firstly women's running! wow! you are inspiring & that's a fantastic way to share your experience i hope you get lots of feedback ill be knocking on whsmiths door come the morning of 25th!  I can see the new me sitting reading your article eating my fruit salad ha ha! Refreshing to know everyone pigs out whilst being inspired!  Can see us all now sofa, cuppa, chocolate of choice & women's running......image    ps I'm not trying to sabotage your weight loss but i wish i was a lb behind you will resort to stapling my mouth up.

Kwala omg used to love netball at school used play GA always wanted to be GS but being knee high to a grasshopper compared to the rest of the girls was never gonna do me any favours, hows the running going?

• Lol Chocmonster,hope you had a fab time.I dont need much Sabotage,I do that all by myself.lol.Very pleased tonight thpugh as lost another 3.5lb so am well chuffed.I have struggled with weight for years though,constantly in need of kick up bum.I cant wait to get Womens Running either,not sure I like the pic I chose but its the best I had.I didnt write an awful lot so it will only be ikkle bit.Im  sure you will soon be dropping the lbs,you just need to think that YOU CAN DO THIS.Love that fat coming along for the ride thing,I still have a good bit of that tagging along with me.

Well,Little plod for me today,only 2 miles,still struggling to get back into longer runs,Im guna try a littl one tomorrow too.

• hello guys. I wondered what had happened to everyone too. I've had a couple of plods since my last post. And played netball tonight - was a really tough close game but ended with another victory for us - that's 5 wins from 5 now image