for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Hi Nic,yeh we remember you.Well done on managing 30 mins now,thats an amazing achievement.You will be doing 8 milers and killer hills before you know it.Well done on the weight loss too,you loooooooser.image

Well,after dragging my son on his sledge up the shops(and running up the hills) I decided to do a bit of hill work.I figured that as I had not fallen dragging him I may be ok running up and walking down.I managed 10 goes but still felt good so I decided to try a little plod.I must admit it was baby steps but It felt good to just get out there and not be beaten by the white stuff.

• well my little elves all is busy in the chocmonster household as is probably the case at yours too, id so love to be watching rubbish tv smuggly content that everything is sorted & that id done my long run this week but alas this post is my timeout period before doing my mrs claus bit delivering pressies & the long run will have to wait till boxing day....well it is Christmas!  Have a wonderful time everyone & see you all mince pied out in 2011 xx
  • Well here we all are in the new year and hopefully full of good intentions re running in 2011....

Don't think I ran at all in December as it was constant snow on the ground for the whole month but it now seems to have gone. (And possibly more to the point my Yaktrax arrived on Friday so thats a guarantee of no more ice or snow this winter!).

I had good intentions for New Years Day but the quite NYE I was planning on turned into a very silly night involving far too much alcohol and no sleep so the next day was a complete write off.  However this morning I was awake at 4.30am (nope I don't know why either!) so at 5.30 I was out the door fully expecting the next 30 minutes to be incredibly painful as so out of practice.

And, blow me down, I ran more of the 30 minutes than I ever did before and even had to run round the block a few times as my normal route didn't last long enough.  So pleased!  What a great start to 2011!

So a happy new year to you all - may your miles feel like kilometres and your metres like feet!

• Hi, spotted the strap line and was hoping I could join in? My name's anita (grevice is actually my old dog) I've been running for 18 months but have done it all arse about face and am currently nursing a calf strain.

Fortunately I've had some good advice from people on this site and now have a base training programme worked out for when the muscle is healed (oh the joys of stretching and ice..not). Currently going stir crazy as not able to run or even go for a decent walk without the calf hurting; should be sorted in about 2 weeks though as having acupuncture and massage on it. My muscles are atrophing as i type!

Run wise I'm out of kilter as believed every time I increased distance I ended up with a strain now realise that it's more to do with my gung ho hell for leather every time I run approach image. So, I have done 8 and 10k at odd times but usually do 5k alternate days and did this years Race for Life in 26minutes dead (and on a bloody hot day that's how I felt at the end of it!!). 2011 aims are to run sensibly, no injuries and maybe build to a half marathon! Am going to do a bit of cross training with swimming once a week too

Happy NY to everyone out there!

• Hi Anita

Welcome to the club, we're all friendly (and possibly slightly nuts).  Hope your leg gets better soon and you're back up and running.  At least you know where you went wrong last time!

Julie

• Julie,well done.I only managed a couple of runs in Dec as we had lots of snow and ice.I have been going crazy.I thought I would struggle too as I have eaten lots of rubbish and drank tonnes of booze but hey,New Year,back to the training.

Hi grevice,welcome.Lots of support and advice on here,lovely bunch.I started off running and got injured as I didnt take it easy.I have learned now though and never push too much,however I have improved so much in the last 6 mths so am really chuffed.If you take it easy,you get there in the end.

Couple of runs for me in Dec as very snowy and dont like risking injury.After Christmas run cancelled due to snow so was bit dissapointed,new season starts in April though so want to be ready for that.I am so much better than this time last year.Been out today to local park and did an hour,lots of hills and did struggle a bit but really enjoyed it and am still managing to run solid with no walk breaks.I did a few hill reps too and feel so much fitter than I have ever done.Its funny but I didnt realise how much I had improved till I looked back at what I was doing last year.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year.

• Slightly nuts is good.........I am a psychiatric nurse in my other life image (note the manic smiley)
  • You have to be nuts to be a runner.lol. I get lots of "you must be mad" comments when Im out.
  • Hiya everyone and happy new year.

It's ages since I looked through the forum have been off exercise and particularly running for 12months last race was Bath Half 2009.  I've signed up for Bath Half this year, which I'm regretting a bit as haven't been able to run for a couple of months since straining left calf muscle.  Had a great xmas and now a bit over weight too so not sure I've got a cat in hell's chance of running Bath as training base is practically at NIL.  Training plan prepared and am geared to start training in earnest from tomorrow but need to make sure don't try too much too quickly. 

I've really missed the running and glad to kick starting it all again.

Rimage

• I think the only time my husband seriously looked at me with the 'you must be nuts' face he reserves for special moments of insanity was when I came back from a run just before christmas covered in fresh snow. I on the other hand felt rather pleased with myself for committment etc

Commiserations on the strained calf muscle rachel; I'm currently nursing one too but hoping it doesn't take as long as yours has!! i was planning nearer the month mark and hoping a gentle run aka slow slow and slower in 2 weeks.

• Hi rachel,when is the Bath half.

Grevice,sounds lovely.I managed one snow run but only as it had just come down and was not too slippy. I think my Hubby thought I was mad when I did a 10k and was running in a field full of water,came in with mud all over and soaking wet but loved it.He is very supportive though which is good.

• Helloooooo FANRs old and new!!! Happy new year everyone image
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
    I've been a bit of a lazy kwala and didn't run for a couple of weeks - well, snow, work and lurgy had a lot to do with it, but cba was in there somewhere!!
    Managed a ploddy 2 miles on the treadie on Sunday, but not done anything since - work is mental with year end, I was there until 11 last night and 9 tonight. Should ease off a bit now, but probably won't manage another run until the weekend now image Need to get arse into gear as my Half mara is only 11 weeks away now and I'm way behind on my plan image
  • Hellooooooooooooo Kwala.I was the same over Christmas I must admit,tiny bit of the cba crept in here too.At least you been doing a bit on the Treddie.You will soon be back on track for your hm.
  • Happy new year everyone xxxxxx sorry a little late checking in but been out running morn, noon &  night!!! & if you believe that you believe in santa too!!!!! Chrimbo was a whiteout for all & a washout for me, alas i was working all of it but on the plus side i wasn't at home eating selection boxes & other goodies. Didn't even have a christmas dinner..... altogether now awwwwwwww........... anyway enough wallowing in my own self pity i hope you all had a fab time & are ready willing & motivated for 2011.  Ive managed to get out & am still on track 2 days ago i did my longest run yet 10m it was great & despite the hilly course my time wasn't too bad for a plodder now i have an ickle niggle in my outer left knee & left inside ankle fingers crossed its just a twinge as bad things cant happen now I'm into double digits!!!
  • Hi Chocmonster,Happy New Year.Aw,not getting a Christmas dinner is pants,so unfair.I take it your job is a very important one though.Sounds like you training is still going very well.Huge well done for 10 milers,I still have to get back into those.I am really motivated for 2011,I feel lots of pb,s coming on.
  • Oh my Ecky check you out with your PB confidence, good on you, positive start i like it may it brush off on all of us this year !  Yep training is going well thanks but my aim is to get my butt off to a few different classes this year.  Kettle-bells are the new 'old school' thing back in apparently & I'm gonna do some interval stuff on my shorter runs to get my speed up & my flab off ...... got a feeling its gonna hurt!  Any new plans??  

• Put it this way Chocmonster,I was pants last year so times are not hard to beat.lol. I do think a bit of variety helps,Im thinking of trying Yoga.I will get round to it eventually.Kettle-bells,sounds interesting.

I managed a lovely 9 miles today,struggled at boxing tonight though spesh when it came to squats,ouch. We have dates for our first league race,may 1st,HM,better get my bum in gear,its a hilly one.image.

Hope everyone else is ok.

• Little run/walk for me tonight. Still have a bit of a cough hanging on and the cold air was a bit painful on my lungs, but wasn't too bad. Need to check out where I am supposed to be on my plan and see about catching up!
  • Ecky no wonder you suffered at boxing a 9miler then a session jeepers your keen aren't you, I need a hot bath & lie down after my longer runs!? Went out tonight for a 5mile trot glad to report my knee & ankle were ok not a twinge wore my heart rate monitor to see if I was in fat busting mode ( I sound like I know what I'm doing huh!!!!) gonna try my interval thingy bob 2night on a 3m run me & lampposts are gonna be new best friends!! Ecky you can keep your hills any day but go get em tiger & dream of may 1st. Kwala take it easy don't want you straining & having a setback but admiration for persevering with a cold ?
  • I am very focussed Chocmonster,we are so desperate to get up the league table this year.We were 5th last year out of 7,not bad as we have never ever had a ladies road team before. Well done on your run,glad it felt ok.How did the intervals go.

Kwala,you can do it.

• hells bells Ecky i hate lamp posts! done a 3m run 1 of which was lampposts & i tell ya it was ruddy agony!  i mean seriously who needs to get faster right? think i need a bully buddy for this run in future! supposed to be long run today but our area has flood warnings for the next 30 hours mind you went out the other night in the rain & had to ring my kit out.  it sounds great being part of a team i confess i love 'my space' running alone but your sure  to come on leaps and bounds around other people & 5th ain't to be sniffed at at all good luck for this year. 
  • Ouch,sounds traumatic.lol.Faster is sooooooo overated.lol. I do admit,my running has improved so much since joining the team.I suppose its a huge thing for me as I was never picked for teams at Schoolimage.This one you just turn up and you get a spesh team hoody.lol. I must admit,it was a very good feeling just being part of it all.

• hello all, where are you all???  playing in the snow again???   yep its coming to a place near you again if it aint with you already so dig out your trail shoes no slacking for me this time afraid i cant let up my long runs, starting to panic a wee tad cos they just aint getting easier im afraid, even though im at half way point the end goal seems even further away think i need to go through some old RW mags to umph my confidence to get the 'go get em tiger' attitude back !!!!!!  Hows your highs & lows going???

• Hi Chocmonster,I do hope the snow stays away from us,just got back into it.I have been very up lately and running is going well for once,managed 9.5 miles this morning in prep for my half in May. Come on,if I can do it,you can too,grrrrrrrrr.image.
  • Very belated happy new year........sounds like you guys are off to a flying start to 2011 (snow permitting)

I've fell into the treadmill trap,    I'm now up to averaging 50 mins on treadmill, which for someone who gave up at 10 mins at the start, I'm ok with that, but can't muster the courage to take my fat butt out for an outdoor run (small village, ...know everyone etc)   So I reckon another few pounds lost on the treadmill and I might venture out, seeing as the days are a bit brighter. 

I hope you are all well -  apologies for not reading too far back on the thread of chats.  Hello to all newbies image .     

• Wehey hello you 2 nice to hear my fellow tigers are doing so well.  Ecky your grrrrrs are soooo scary so back at you 2moz before my run im gonna do an all blacks hacker style jig (in the privacy of my garage i may add no you tube phenomenons ere!!) see if that gets my umph going!!  Lazy Nic you fib you aint being so lazy at all lately but are you with me? or ARE YOU WITH ME??? get into the hacker jig & get out looping your village!  maybe theres a closet wannabe runner in the village & your the inspiration they need.  Ecky sounds like your 1/2 in May will be a breeze, hows speed going?
  • Hi Nic,come on,you can do it,we are right behind you,grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Chocmonster,your Umph will come back,yeh training is going well,managed 1,32.14 for my 9.5 miler.I have heard that its a very hilly course so not good for a PB.Im concentrating on lots of hill work for now,some mahoosive ones near here.

• Wow Ecky is someone is someone running after you????  Wish i was a second behind that time! Ouch hills huh i have a gradual beast of a hill near to me its my nemesis & ashamed i am but on many occasion's  ive got to the bottom of it & ran right passed it because im mentally not strong enough which tells me im physically not strong enough for it image  one of these days ill drive to it & do hill repeats to conquer it rocky esk stylie!!!  Da Da Da...... Da Da Da !!!!   You gotta have an anthem Ecky!!!   A Pb & hills would be doubly clever go on girl !!!!!!

• Long time no speak........quick wave! image

How is everyone?

•  Hi Cheetara hows you. Been sooooo quiet here.